Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

FaradayCage posted:

Continuing on the topic of my taco addiction...

Would it be insane to purchase taco holders?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FBNFPHG

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Z38S86S

I can't think of any reason to get stainless steel unless I planned to bake/broil. Can anyone think of a reason to do that with tacos? Or can anyone Alton Brown up some additional uses for these unitaskers?

You can crush Doritos nacho cheese and cool ranch chips and paint them onto soft tacos with mole or enchilada sauce then put them upside down on the stainless steel holders and crisp them to make true Doritos locos tacos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010
Ordered the stainless steel. Leeroy Jenkins.

Worth noting the All-Clad seconds/damaged packaging sale is on again.

So...what are our thoughts on this sous vide circulator? https://homeandcooksales.com/index.php/sous-vide-immersion-circulator-stainless-steel.html

I've had a food saver for awhile and came into tons of packaging. Starting to think I should give it a shot.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

swickles posted:

Its 15 bucks, and you like tacos. Go for it.

NOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! no he cant!!!!! alton brown said NO unitaskers.... NO!!!!!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
You can also use it for Chinese pork sandwich buns

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

FaradayCage posted:

Continuing on the topic of my taco addiction...

Would it be insane to purchase taco holders?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FBNFPHG

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Z38S86S

I can't think of any reason to get stainless steel unless I planned to bake/broil. Can anyone think of a reason to do that with tacos? Or can anyone Alton Brown up some additional uses for these unitaskers?

It would be brutally insane to purchase any of those, yes.

Not because Taco Holders are a bad idea, mind you.

No, it would be insane because you would be purchasing something incredibly boring that isn't this:
https://www.amazon.com/Funwares-TriceraTaco-Plastic-Ultimate-Dinosaur/dp/B01LZNTN8S?th=1

Fake Edit: WHAT, THERE IS A COLLECTION OF THESE AND THEY MAKE MORE THAN JUST THE TRICERATOPS!?!?!?!

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Borsche69 posted:

See, I was looking at those and wondering if I could use them to weigh down bacon in the oven (I had a batch curl up real bad tonight). Alton forced his vegetable steamers to be "multitaskers" by making that terrible chicken wing tower steamer so he has done worse.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

Borsche69 posted:

My unitaskers:

- 5-cherry pitter
- Glass cake stand
- Hacked sodastream (arguably)
- Waffle iron
- Ooni clone (arguably)
- popcorn popper (which I use exclusively for roasting coffee)

Do they take up space? yeah. Do they really loving shine when their moment comes? Absolutely.

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

HolHorsejob posted:

- Waffle iron

I bet you could make burgers that hold onto condiments better with that bad boy.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Alton made fun of those meat shredder claws for being unitaskers, but my hands cramp up using forks when I'm shredding 4 pork butts for the vacuum sealer. Meat claws make that whole process sooooo much easier.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Enos Cabell posted:

Alton made fun of those meat shredder claws for being unitaskers, but my hands cramp up using forks when I'm shredding 4 pork butts for the vacuum sealer. Meat claws make that whole process sooooo much easier.

Yeah my wife and I say to gently caress off with the unitasker stuff with regard to the claws, they’re so much faster and they’re like $10 and don’t take up much space.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I just use egg beaters

mystes
May 31, 2006

Enos Cabell posted:

I hadn't heard of those and they look like some really dumb weapon

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I finally gave in and bought insulated BBQ gloves (disposable nitrile gloves with a reusable cotton liner) and frankly I wish I had done it ages ago. They're just better for shredding, moving 10lb hunks of greasy 200F meat, everything that isn't hot metal really.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

mystes posted:

I hadn't heard of those and they look like some really dumb weapon

You get to pretend to be Wolverine and stab big chunks of meat, what's not to like?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

HolHorsejob posted:

- Ooni clone (arguably)

I've done "grilling" in mine since I don't have a grill otherwise. Works great with a cast iron griddle like this

Currently unavailable from this seller so no link

Mostly corn and peppers (the easiest way to char and peel poblano skin I've ever found) and the very infrequent chicken thighs.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Discussion Quorum posted:

See, I was looking at those and wondering if I could use them to weigh down bacon in the oven (I had a batch curl up real bad tonight). Alton forced his vegetable steamers to be "multitaskers" by making that terrible chicken wing tower steamer so he has done worse.

a buddy of mine swears by that method although i dont see any reason to try it when the baking powder + leave uncovered overnight in the fridge seems to work perfectly with absolutely no effort

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

FaradayCage posted:

I bet you could make burgers that hold onto condiments better with that bad boy.

i think alton brown did a whole bit where he made breakfast in a waffle iron (bacon, eggs, probably toast or some bullshit). i think that was part of a real episode too, not even the vid below where he's hocking a panini press

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXuF9r_g-Xg

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Borsche69 posted:

a buddy of mine swears by that method although i dont see any reason to try it when the baking powder + leave uncovered overnight in the fridge seems to work perfectly with absolutely no effort

If he has literally gone out and built a tower steamer out of baskets and hardware store parts, I would argue he has a unitasker anyways :v:

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I have an NYC kitchen and I still love a good unitasker. Alton Brown can go gently caress himself.

I never got the point of claws, though. When I shred a pork shoulder, I want to separate fat and crud from good meat, so I’d rather have the control that two forks give me.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

For a general audience I'd definitely err on the side of "no unitaskers" for lots of reasons, and I think his harping that direction has caused more good than harm. It was a vehicle to teach clever tool use and push back against junk products.

IMO the victim of this crusade who is still denying themself convenience is rarer than the beneficiary who is able to do more cooking with what's on hand, not to mention the people who otherwise would've received awful space fillers from relatives who happened to watch Alton Brown.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

BrianBoitano posted:

For a general audience I'd definitely err on the side of "no unitaskers" for lots of reasons, and I think his harping that direction has caused more good than harm. It was a vehicle to teach clever tool use and push back against junk products.

IMO the victim of this crusade who is still denying themself convenience is rarer than the beneficiary who is able to do more cooking with what's on hand, not to mention the people who otherwise would've received awful space fillers from relatives who happened to watch Alton Brown.

I have definitely dropped that "no single job for a tool" line in front of relatives who are well meaning but prone to give things like those meat shredders as gifts. Instead I get a lot of spice blends which are fun and more hits than misses.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

HolHorsejob posted:

My unitaskers:

- 5-cherry pitter
- Glass cake stand
- Hacked sodastream (arguably)
- Waffle iron
- Ooni clone (arguably)
- popcorn popper (which I use exclusively for roasting coffee)

Do they take up space? yeah. Do they really loving shine when their moment comes? Absolutely.
Alton is not the boss of me.
- Cherry pitter
- Whipped-cream maker, the whippet-based kind
- Spaetzle maker. Husband is perfectly capable of making them by hand, he just likes the extruded ones better
- Waffle iron, duh
- Special rolling pin for crackers and maybe lefse (It's corrugated)
- Special rolling pin for spekulaas/gingerbread/springerle (it has flowers carved into it)
- bannetons and liners
- pasta mill (not the kind that extrudes, the kind that flattens)
- Victorio tomato crusher/strainer
- canning tongs

Specialty tasks often need specialty tools, duh.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Sorry for double post.

FaradayCage posted:

Ordered the stainless steel. Leeroy Jenkins.

Worth noting the All-Clad seconds/damaged packaging sale is on again.

So...what are our thoughts on this sous vide circulator? https://homeandcooksales.com/index.php/sous-vide-immersion-circulator-stainless-steel.html

I've had a food saver for awhile and came into tons of packaging. Starting to think I should give it a shot.

Serious Eats thinks it's lousy.

quote:

All-Clad Sous Vide: This model is bulky and extremely loud, and it gave inaccurate temperature readings during our testing. It's also very expensive.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

If a unitasker will do its job better than a multitasker, by a margin I can perceive, I consider that reason enough to buy it. Of course, cost and storage may provide persuasive reasons not to buy it. It's about trade-offs, not hard rules.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

BrianBoitano posted:

oh i definitely agree, i think it is a true net positive. i'm just poking a little fun given that his advice on stuff like that isn't really for people like me anymore

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Veggie peelers are unitaskers I guess, but gently caress doing it w a knife

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Sometimes I also use mine to peel cheese, if the grater isn't clean, does that count?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I have two rotary cheese graters in the fridge, one for parm and one for cheddar. It’s stored with small blocks of cheese in them. When I want cheese I whip it out and wheel away. Immense mono-tasking QoL :haw:

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Favorite immersion blenders? I got a cheap one a long time ago and it sounds like it's got a bunch of gravel in the motor or something. Mostly works but I'd like something a bit smoother.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Borsche69 posted:

i think alton brown did a whole bit where he made breakfast in a waffle iron (bacon, eggs, probably toast or some bullshit). i think that was part of a real episode too, not even the vid below where he's hocking a panini press

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXuF9r_g-Xg

I was on board until that "pizza" showed up.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Eeyo posted:

Favorite immersion blenders? I got a cheap one a long time ago and it sounds like it's got a bunch of gravel in the motor or something. Mostly works but I'd like something a bit smoother.

I have no way of knowing if the new lines are the same quality, but I have a Braun immersion blender from :regd06: still going strong

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Eeyo posted:

I have a Bamix. Done its job without complaint for twenty some years in my kitchen.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Oh I see vitamix makes immersion blenders, anyone hear about those? Looks like it's more than 3x more powerful than my current one.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Nettle Soup posted:

Sometimes I also use mine to peel cheese, if the grater isn't clean, does that count?

oh baby, that's where you get a cheese plane instead. this is the unitasker i gently caress with https://www.amazon.com/Mieriscle-Cheese-Slicer-Stainless-Durable/dp/B002U6ZD7W

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Eeyo posted:

Oh I see vitamix makes immersion blenders, anyone hear about those? Looks like it's more than 3x more powerful than my current one.

Vitamix has a big sale going on until 9/17. Not knowledgable about their immersion blenders though

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Japanese deep frying pot:

Curled rim to reduce spatter, rack on lid to let oil drip back into pot, thermometer, and a spout lip so you can pour out the oil later

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Somebody invent a balloon whisk that doesn’t end up with a clump of mud in the middle

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
It’s a ball whisk, which is superior to balloons in every way

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst

Eeyo posted:

Bamix or Esge if you are in Europe has great build quality and works well for all my needs. If you want kale smoothies or blend other super fibrous things on the regular, it's not the best though (just get a proper blender at that point though).

Also after mentioning the Kuhn Rikon peeler here a couple of weeks ago and mine starting to rust again, I decided to try out a different one and its surprisingly really good.

https://www.amazon.com/Lurch-Germany-Universal-Peeler-Black/dp/B003AU5RF0/

Minimal design, very sturdy compared to the Kuhn one and most importantly a very sharp blade. I cannot tell how long the blade will last, but so far I would highly recommend it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Steve Yun posted:

Japanese deep frying pot:

Curled rim to reduce spatter, rack on lid to let oil drip back into pot, thermometer, and a spout lip so you can pour out the oil later
Does anyone make a tempura pot that's not flimsy and too small? Every tempura pot I've ever seen has been like two quarts and feels like you could crush it like a beer can.