Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I can't believe GW added death guard to the army selection screen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Heres a hot take:- death guard is lame, world eaters is where its at.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Al-Saqr posted:

Heres a hot take:- death guard is lame, world eaters is where its at.

A correct, hot blooded take

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
World Eaters really need a second thing that they do other than run at the enemy as fast as they can. Even the AOS Khorne army has more than that going on.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Yeah, considering how wide of a pool of World Eaters and khorne stuff they had to pull from, the fact that they doubled down on the 'durr, run at the other guys' angle is pretty bad

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

DancingShade posted:

[redacted]

I bought some out of print Kingdom Death from them a couple years ago. Thought my payment went into the ether and "oh gently caress it all" but then eventually what I paid for turned up. Quality... uh... original casts I was lucky enough to get somehow. Wink.

I'm not sure its a money saving exercise though. You'd best use them for good quality stuff you simply can't buy elsewhere.

Do not link to or say the names of sites that are offering counterfeit miniatures, on SA. This runs afoul of the forum rules, Jeffrey does not want to receive C&D letters for this sort of thing so this is above my pay grade and not something I can be flexible on.

I've removed the link from your post. If you feel a terribly strong need to share things like that, do it in a way that doesn't show up on Jeffrey's radar. Thanks.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Leperflesh posted:

Do not link to or say the names of sites that are offering counterfeit miniatures, on SA. This runs afoul of the forum rules, Jeffrey does not want to receive C&D letters for this sort of thing so this is above my pay grade and not something I can be flexible on.

I've removed the link from your post. If you feel a terribly strong need to share things like that, do it in a way that doesn't show up on Jeffrey's radar. Thanks.

Sure thing, apologies.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Cease to Hope posted:

World Eaters really need a second thing that they do other than run at the enemy as fast as they can. Even the AOS Khorne army has more than that going on.

But why do anything else than run towards the enemy? that's their whole point!

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Al-Saqr posted:

But why do anything else than run towards the enemy? that's their whole point!

Things that would be cool for World Eaters to have:

- Berserkers on bikes
- A medium-to-short range heavy weapons squad designed around getting close to big armoured things to blow them up

EDIT:
- Terminators

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Sep 13, 2023

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Cease to Hope posted:

World Eaters really need a second thing that they do other than run at the enemy as fast as they can.

My world eaters already do two things:
  • Run at the enemy as fast as they can
  • Run at the next enemy as fast as they can
What else do they need?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

How about a trebuchet operated by a bunch of cultists to throw them at the enemy who might be behind an inconvenient wall?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
World Eaters once upon a time had a dedicated long range unit called the Teeth of Khorne. This was in the lore, not necessarily in the game. They could've included them as a havocs-equivalent with some sort of special rule to differentiate them. I mean, just look at this guy.

At least they got access to all the tanks and demon engines they were missing in 9th. Their codex was really anemic and they're still missing basic stuff like lords that aren't on juggernauts.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Khorne’s the god of technology so there’s a lot of potential for fire support or something smarter than huurduur blood like he’s been portrayed for a long time now.

protomexican
May 1, 2009

Safety Factor posted:

World Eaters once upon a time had a dedicated long range unit called the Teeth of Khorne. This was in the lore, not necessarily in the game. They could've included them as a havocs-equivalent with some sort of special rule to differentiate them. I mean, just look at this guy.

At least they got access to all the tanks and demon engines they were missing in 9th. Their codex was really anemic and they're still missing basic stuff like lords that aren't on juggernauts.

I just now realized that the Khorne symbol is a stylized skull.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Safety Factor posted:

I mean, plasma cannons alone as shown in that image would differentiate them because Havocs don't get plasma cannons. Also, World Eaters love plasma. Overcharge all day erryday.

I'm still annoyed that World Eaters can't use Bikers, Raptors, Terminator Lords and honestly Lord Discordants. I realise that's just more of the 'crash into the enemy in melee' but that's kind of their whole thing.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Kinda wish they got their old epic poo poo:

We could even finally find out what a lesser Brass Scorpion looks like.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Yeah that's what I imagine their vehicles and support stuff looking like, big engines with guns haphazardly placed on them that just fire wildly as they careen into the enemy forces and try to mash them up. I suppose that does somewhat step on the Orks toes though, theme wise.

You could have something like marines that have become so insensible that their commanders just strap heavy weapons to their backs that fire while they sprint in as well.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Hear me out... what if the World Eaters heavy weapons unit had guns that shot axes

Edit-- or better yet shot smaller World Eaters wielding axes

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Safety Factor posted:

World Eaters once upon a time had a dedicated long range unit called the Teeth of Khorne.

I want to see Teeth of Khorne toting massive plasma cannons like this, but with comically oversized chainsaw bayonets. Obviously they'll be assault weapons that you'd always have to fire overcharged. Anyone that survives charges in swinging a weapon the size of a small car. It would be the most ridiculous 40k poo poo ever and I'm here for it.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
World Eaters should lean on the whole gladiator concept, so give some of them nets and tridents to throw around, offer some demonic lions to pal around with, maybe add some charioteers, and create some Murmillo Terminators a la Bioshock.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Kaal posted:

World Eaters should lean on the whole gladiator concept, so give some of them nets and tridents to throw around, offer some demonic lions to pal around with, maybe add some charioteers, and create some Murmillo Terminators a la Bioshock.

This would be awesome

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Kaal posted:

Honestly the best idea for world eaters ive ever heard

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Kaal posted:

:hmmyes:

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
I think World Eater design is always going to have challenges in a sea of twenty plus factions when step 1 and 2 of the power fantasy of playing them are going to be:

1) We are the unchallenged masters of melee combat
2) We are good at getting to the enemy fast because we have to be able to counter their cowardly guns.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Count Thrashula posted:

Hear me out... what if the World Eaters heavy weapons unit had guns that shot axes

Edit-- or better yet shot smaller World Eaters wielding axes

This but World Eaters

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Zark the Damned posted:

This but World Eaters

Dakka that is choppy?!

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Ashcans posted:

Dakka that is choppy?!

Kunnin AND brutal

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

the ol’ goblin hewer

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I wonder how many stacks of books filled with rad Jes Godwin concepts begging to be made that GW is just sitting on somewhere.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Probably several, because they still refuse to reprint the Eldar ones.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Good deal alert: Found Cadia Stands box set for 120 USD on Amazon. Obviously the Codex and Army cards are no longer current, so that is why I suspect they are selling it at 40% off MSRP, but it is actually also 25% less than the combat patrol, so would be a cheaper option than the combat patrol at standard 15-20% discount.

https://www.amazon.com/Games-Worksh...32-63e904010ad0

Thanks for posting this, the good deal is still up, and I am going to have so many very sexy Brood Brothers.

I was trying to figure why they're preferable to Neophytes, but Cadian broods still get sticky objectives from Shock Troops.

And howitzers :swoon:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Are brood brothers better this edition?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

They seem to be, but I sat out most of 9th edition.

Dropping in allies is a lot less of a headache now, and the only tax is that allies lose access to orders and strategems. (So the howitzers lose access to Sustained, but they're still indirect blasts.)

Strictly speaking, for the same points they're worse in a cult than in guard. They don't get guard synergies. But big picture, you can access tools and weapons that aren't in the GSC playbook - stuff like indirect blasts, shock troops, baneblades, etc. It seems to be worth the tradeoff, but I'm not a big math-doer.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I wish they’d lean into other aspects of Khorne besides the frothing berserker model. He’s the god of honour, so gladiators. He cares not from whence the blood flows, so have revived Teeth and invent some mad scientist types making space nukes and daemon engines

Emperor’s Children dex first though :argh:

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Berserkers should be WS 2+

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

:sickos: my kits are starting to arrive

I still haven't had a chance to watch the videos on painting thoughm but I did read through a bunch of the Minis Painting thread OPs

Was trying to decide what colors I want to do, but it's hard visualizing it. After reading about white being a particularly hard color to use as your base and make look at all interesting, I'm thinking maybe I'll start with something a little easier and use purple as my accent color for the robes and such, because I've seen a lot of color schemes that look really cool with it

It's a weird question maybe, but before you guys start painting how do you visualize what you want to do? Or is it just use the color wheel and try it out on a mini?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you're having issues visualising the colours, try using a template;
https://www.reddit.com/r/sistersofbattle/comments/l30cwe/adepta_sororitas_order_template/

I knew there are ones for Guard and Marines, didn't know there was for Sororitas actually.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Weird Pumpkin posted:

It's a weird question maybe, but before you guys start painting how do you visualize what you want to do? Or is it just use the color wheel and try it out on a mini?
Part of it at this point for me is just experience from past stuff I've done or things I've seen (this part doesn't necessarily help you - but consider color schemes you've seen in your favorite shows or movies). But I also really like to use instagram to search hashtags for the unit or model or army/faction I'm wanting to paint to see what other people did and see what I like or dislike about certain combos.

And then yes learning color theory is helpful, and this is an incredibly deep topic that I certainly don't know super well but here's a few quick things that come to my mind:
- opposite and adjacent colors, both overall for a mini but also look into shading and highlighting with darker and lighter tones that may be warm or cold depending on your desired look
- a mini with 20 pouches, guns, ammo does not need 20 different colors and will in fact look bad if you do that, keep your overall palette limited in some fashion.

Typically if you think a mini reads as busy or not cohesive it's failed to do one or both of the above things. But hey this is like my 2 cents from someone that sucks!!

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

It usually starts with "I haven't painted purple in a while" or "I've never actually done an orange model before", or something like that when I look at what I want to paint next.
Then it leads to checking ideas of what others have done, or check the painting app.

Although a lot of the time I just check painting guides and see what I can and can't do with the paints I have and grab steps from previous models and throw it all together.
It works.
Most of the time I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Cooked Auto posted:

If you're having issues visualising the colours, try using a template;
https://www.reddit.com/r/sistersofbattle/comments/l30cwe/adepta_sororitas_order_template/

I knew there are ones for Guard and Marines, didn't know there was for Sororitas actually.

Oh this is really cool, thank you! I didn't even think about looking for a template

tangy yet delightful posted:

Part of it at this point for me is just experience from past stuff I've done or things I've seen (this part doesn't necessarily help you - but consider color schemes you've seen in your favorite shows or movies). But I also really like to use instagram to search hashtags for the unit or model or army/faction I'm wanting to paint to see what other people did and see what I like or dislike about certain combos.

And then yes learning color theory is helpful, and this is an incredibly deep topic that I certainly don't know super well but here's a few quick things that come to my mind:
- opposite and adjacent colors, both overall for a mini but also look into shading and highlighting with darker and lighter tones that may be warm or cold depending on your desired look
- a mini with 20 pouches, guns, ammo does not need 20 different colors and will in fact look bad if you do that, keep your overall palette limited in some fashion.

Typically if you think a mini reads as busy or not cohesive it's failed to do one or both of the above things. But hey this is like my 2 cents from someone that sucks!!

Certainly way better than me, so any and all advice is appreciated thank you! Totally understood on the busy thing. I was sort of thinking a primary color for the armor parts, a secondary color for the robes, and then some complimentary or contrasting colors for the details and highlights. I'm kinda thinking of it like fighting game character palettes where anything more than that starts to look ridiculous :shobon:

Sorta leaning towards purple with a darker pink as the primary and secondary colors, then gray for highlights/metal and reddish as potentially another highlight color. Based off the color wheel here http://paletton.com/#uid=54H0n0kjEkEa3uxfcp4nVgqtmbb. But the template will definitely help me visualize it

Plus I need to figure out how I'm gonna paint the exorcist which is a little overwhelming, but it'll be a fun project (that I'm sure will look ROUGH to start, it and the leader I got will be my last minis to paint though because I'll use what I learn on the other ones since they're a lot more fiddley)

Cooked Auto posted:

It usually starts with "I haven't painted purple in a while" or "I've never actually done an orange model before", or something like that when I look at what I want to paint next.
Then it leads to checking ideas of what others have done, or check the painting app.

Although a lot of the time I just check painting guides and see what I can and can't do with the paints I have and grab steps from previous models and throw it all together.
It works.
Most of the time I guess.

:hmmyes: