Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bottom Liner posted:

nah this is killer. only possible critique is to try a 4x5 crop

I ALWAYS crop to this if I am not cropping to square.

you almost never need the extra room and a lot of social media is formatted with that as the max ratio for a vert image so often the rest may be discarded anyway

so crop and then YOU get to choose wear.

my camera has a few crop styles in camera like square but not 4x5 and if it did I would totally shoot in 4x5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

My camera supports 4x5 crop and I do it quite often. I’m off the social media grid though so I don’t care about that. Models can crop the photos by themselves if they want to :)

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

May contain traces of nuts...

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
I was out shooting some flower shots and a lady came up to me and asked to model.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
I really love some of the portraits I've taken but they are mostly of my kid or wife and I just won't trust the internet. I do like that sense of just working within whatever the moment is to bring out the feeling I have at that time. Would be nice to start getting practice with a model!

I live right by Disney World now so I might just ask people who are struggling to take a photo if they want one and I'll zip to my phone and send it after. I've already been approached by a random person for that recently when they saw the gear and they liked the results.

Viginti Septem posted:

I was out shooting some flower shots and a lady came up to me and asked to model.

Viginti you always bring such an interesting set of colors to your work across all these different photography threads. Maybe because of the darker skin, but I think the the greens and yellows go so well with the model. Do you have color theory in mind or just adjust until it looks right to you on these?

I love this one. The frame-ception is working for me.

Bottom Liner posted:

I don't know if anyone would be interested, but I've made some in depth film emulation presets that combine Lightroom presets and custom profiles made from davinci resolve color tools (which are way more in depth) and converted from luts to get some great results. It'd be nice to get some outside testing from folks. Here's a few samples (first image is raw)

Sure, I'd like to play around with it if you still have. The last two examples especially have a great look to them. I just import them to Lightroom?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Incredulous Dylan posted:

I live right by Disney World now

Sure, I'd like to play around with it if you still have. The last two examples especially have a great look to them. I just import them to Lightroom?

What area? I'm just west of WDW too, we should go shoot something sometime when it's not 120 degrees.

And sure, it's a .zip file you install from the presets drop down at the top in the Dev tab. They'll be listed under both Presets on the left and Profiles on the right at the top of the Light module, so you apply them separately and adjust the amount with the slider for each. Generally want to push exposure on them for this style (either in camera or in post) and keep sharpening low (I mostly use export sharpening Matte Standard). If you really want to push the film style, you can do a luminosity mask with ~15 grain. Let me compile them this evening and I'll send you a PM.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe

Bottom Liner posted:

What area? I'm just west of WDW too, we should go shoot something sometime when it's not 120 degrees.

And sure, it's a .zip file you install from the presets drop down at the top in the Dev tab. They'll be listed under both Presets on the left and Profiles on the right at the top of the Light module, so you apply them separately and adjust the amount with the slider for each. Generally want to push exposure on them for this style (either in camera or in post) and keep sharpening low (I mostly use export sharpening Matte Standard). If you really want to push the film style, you can do a luminosity mask with ~15 grain. Let me compile them this evening and I'll send you a PM.

Hey, thanks for your time! That would be great. I’m in south Clermont so around 20 mins from the parks. Still trying to get a good feel for where I can go practice in this area so that would be cool.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Hey, thanks for your time! That would be great. I’m in south Clermont so around 20 mins from the parks. Still trying to get a good feel for where I can go practice in this area so that would be cool.

Yea, right below you south of 192/27 intersection and I bike in the Clermont area at Lake Apopka a lot. If you've never been, it's a great spot for wildlife (tons of gators) and good scenery. The drive is open on weekends but there are a few trailheads open every day you can walk or bike in from.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Viginti you always bring such an interesting set of colors to your work across all these different photography threads. Maybe because of the darker skin, but I think the the greens and yellows go so well with the model. Do you have color theory in mind or just adjust until it looks right to you on these?

Wow, thank you so much for the kind words.

No formal color theory in mind, just lots of practice with color grading and ideas of what I'd like to see hanging on a wall. Each photo is experimental for me in my approach and I try to push boundaries all the time with combinations of techniques. Nine times it won't work, one time it will and then I remember it for the next time. I've learned a lot from mistakes over the years. I try to review my past work constantly to see what I don't like and fix that on the next one.

Thanks again though really, I appreciate that.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Well earned!

This one is a bit busier than I would like, but it was funny watching this guy try to keep these balloons in line on a windy day

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Wandered around the city a bit with a friend yesterday.

I think this is the best:

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe

Ihmemies posted:

Wandered around the city a bit with a friend yesterday.

This angle really worked for me. Nice! I liked the tones in the rest of the photos as well. Honestly I'm not a fan of the "hiding in the leaves" trend and it doesn't feel balanced to me but that's just personal preference.

I'm spending a lot of time in Disney with my daughter so finding the opportunities to practice portraits where I can without being a creep-o, hah. Trying to take these kinds of performance shots really shows me how hard it is to do this kind of photography well. Finding a good spot among people listening, without blocking someone's view, then trying to find a way to isolate a subject that you think is going to do something interesting. I couldn't really get this guy by himself but man I was feeling the moment - he had some good energy.

I've resolved to stick with my 35mm for a while and then I'll try rotating to my 90mm to see what I can do with the flatter look.

Incredulous Dylan fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Aug 28, 2023

maxe
Sep 23, 2004

BLURRED SWEET STREETLIGHTS SPEEDING PAST, FAST
i helped a friend out today with some promo photos for her business and we had a cool day out shootin

these were some of my favourites.

credit-wise, i was under direction most of the day. i dont want to steal photo valour!

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Hello Mr Bones

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

Couple of candids from a 60th I was at recently...

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
My girl turns 3 tomorrow, which is also basically my anniversary of getting into this fun hobby. I looked back in photos today and saw her growth as well as my own from camera phone, Canon EOS T6 and then Sony a7iv once I knew I'd be sticking with it. I never posed her so it really got me moving and trying to come up with new ways to capture her movement. I can see I was missing focus all the time, wrong apertures, etc. and slowly improving until shooting exclusively manual. Eye AF never hurts, either : )

So this is the ultimate E/N post but if you like cute babies:

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do
This shot is amazing

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I don't comment on here all that much anymore but this is amazing. Looking through the progression actually made me pretty emotional and you captured such incredible images from a technical standpoint but also absolute perfection from a sentimental perspective. Her personality comes through and you really nailed candid "childhood" perfectly.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
That's extremely kind of you both. It fills me with joy to have a hobby that lets me stay involved with my kid while still giving me a chance to improve at a skill. As a bonus, I get to remember these moments better. She is actually going through a little shutterbug phase and now asks me if she can take pictures of stuff pretty often. Here's hoping it sticks!

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Yeah, it's really interesting to see the progression of skill and style develop along with her. Just imagine what the photos will be like by the time she's 18. Those are top tier kid candids and exactly what I strive for when taking pictures of family or friends' kids.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

. Here's hoping it sticks!

Hey! I didn't forget about messaging you about profiles and shooting sometime! Just been crazy busy.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
No worries - I've been playing with some Mastin Labs film presets and DXO filmpack stuff in the meantime since your film simulation idea inspired me. I like the DXO one because it has information on each film type and I'm sort of learning why they were (are) used by osmosis. Haven't had too much time with them but so far I am a big fan of Ilford offerings for B&W and Kodak Portra negative for color portraits.

Incredulous Dylan fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Sep 14, 2023

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
was going for someone a lil bit different here

majour333
Mar 2, 2005

Mouthfart.
Fun Shoe

majour333 fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Oct 2, 2023

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

I like these. I feel like you get much more of a sense of the person in candid shots than in staged portraits. On a technical note, though, I feel like the black point could be a bit lower on the second one.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

oh I love this

maxe
Sep 23, 2004

BLURRED SWEET STREETLIGHTS SPEEDING PAST, FAST

FBS posted:

oh I love this

i love it too but i want to crop it in at the left so bad!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

maxe posted:

i love it too but i want to crop it in at the left so bad!

That's a good call.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
got up at 5 and drove a bit to get to this bay before sunrise

and I’d never appreciated the blue hour as much. the sky was totally clear so there was a lot of glorious blue light and orange from where the sun was about to rise

these might be some of my favourite photos ever. I took 1100 photos lol and at least half would be worth using.

imo the light here is so fuckkn glorious

and then was the night before

had a couple shoots lately where I was just off my game and also a few things out of control (organising a sunset shoot but the model is late so you miss the best part of it 🙄) but then I am so happy with these ones.

defo found my own style and am being adamant about doing it on my terms - which is sunset or sunrise lol! and I shoot exclusively with a 135mm f/1.8 and almost no one else in town does. sure a few people shoot with a zoom lens but it’s not quite the same. definitely gives me an edge and makes sure it definitely isn’t a phone camera

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Are you cropping in a lot generally? A lot of the images you share have a softness that almost looks blurry or low resolution instead of just the glossy soft look you seem to be editing for. Are you doing any sharpening in post? The third portrait there (with the tinted glasses) is a good example, it looks like some slight motion blur even. Are you getting fast enough shutter speed at 135mm to not have shake?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol it’ll be my editing. I’ve set my camera to not go below 1/500 so shake is not an issue

I defo add noise, my method is crank it to 100, then adjust the size until I am on the cusp of eliminating eyelashes or hair or something fine and then bring it down to like 30

and maybe -20 on texture

and I’m lifting the blacks

and lightroom has a default amount of sharpening set but I always set it to 0

perhaps all of these contribute to the effect you’re describing. maybe I’ll post some without the grain or texture just for curiosities sake, at 1:1 so you can hopefully see how sharp it started.

regardless, sharpness of the lens and the resolution of the camera are tools that allow me to crop in heaps if I need, but I usually don’t want sharpness in the end result

I’m not really a photographers photographer, but others seem to like my work

echinopsis fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Oct 16, 2023

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
if there’s a better way of getting what you think I’m going for I’d to know, beyond using a 1/4 black mist (which I am tempted to get, except at 82mm they ain’t cheap lol)

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

echinopsis posted:

lol it’ll be my editing. I’ve set my camera to not go below 1/500 so shake is not an issue

I’m not really a photographers photographer, but others seem to like my work

If it is the editing then you’re doing a disservice to your photos that would look better if you didn’t make them look blurry. Would def be curious to see a raw example and can maybe offer Lightroom techniques for that style.

The second bit there is a cop-out reply to critique and a bad approach to improving as an artist technically or creatively.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bottom Liner posted:

The second bit there is a cop-out reply to critique and a bad approach to improving as an artist technically or creatively.

it’s just an observation, based on who seems to like my work. in photo circles most of the time my work is ignored rather than critiqued anyway

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
camera autofocus doesn't like glasses :( looks like focus nailed on the necklace. I shoot shoot shoot and rely on autofocus doing the job for me, but the camera fails with glasses. another use for grain of course is hiding this lol

this is a 1:1 ... this is when the autofocus nails it, which is pretty good considering I rely on autofocus on eye using servo mode and just holding down back button focus and snapping away. tbh I am consistently impressed with how well it usually works. can't really fault the sharpness of the lens

and the photo without grain or texture effects

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah, that image missed focus and is more on the back of her head but its not unusable if you applied some basic sharpening instead of intentionally blurring it more. You can keep the lofi soft look without pushing it so far as to make it look like you're cropping heavily on an old 8mp camera or something.

this is working from the jpeg you linked so ignore the compression noise, but settings would be similar on the raw file

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Oct 16, 2023

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
hmmm yeah ok. I see where you're coming from. I'll have an experiment with it. thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
yeah ok I accept this is an improvement lol.

never played with sharpening before. never felt the need. I would still probably reserve it for missed focus, as you can see when I do hit focus I don't need any more sharpness,

but now is a tool in my tool box. thanks.