Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Complete with phony paperwork and websites backing up the ‘fact’ they’re high end and not, in fact, made of cardboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

MightyJoe36 posted:

That, and the illicit thrill of buying something that may or may not be "hot." You just know you're getting a good deal.

Only thing I ever knowingly bought "hot" was a PS2 that my coworker was selling near christmas time when they were hard to get.

It worked out fine.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

bird with big dick posted:

No, the white van speaker scam is not selling speakers they stole, lying about that is part of the scam. They’re not stolen or leftover from an install or found on the side of the road, they’re $20 Chinese garbage that they say retails for $3000 but they’ll sell them to you today for $200.

Exactly. If they stole expensive speakers they’d sell them as expensive speakers for just below expensive speaker prices.

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

Also since the speakers aren't stolen, just crap with a medium price, they're doing something that's either legal or almost-legal so there's not a lot of risk to the scammers. Stealing expensive speakers is serious, probably felony, theft, selling stolen goods is also a crime, and both of those are things police and prosecutors like to pursue for prison time. Selling cheap speakers but pretending they're high-end is probably legal or at worst something like conducting commerce without a business license, you might get a fine but will probably will just get told to leave the area if caught.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Pantaloon Pontiff posted:

Also since the speakers aren't stolen, just crap with a medium price, they're doing something that's either legal or almost-legal so there's not a lot of risk to the scammers. Stealing expensive speakers is serious, probably felony, theft, selling stolen goods is also a crime, and both of those are things police and prosecutors like to pursue for prison time. Selling cheap speakers but pretending they're high-end is probably legal or at worst something like conducting commerce without a business license, you might get a fine but will probably will just get told to leave the area if caught.

I think it's pretty textbook fraud to claim you're selling something high-end that is actually crap, but the stolen goods story probably reduces the number of people who will report being scammed.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

bird with big dick posted:

No, the white van speaker scam is not selling speakers they stole, lying about that is part of the scam. They’re not stolen or leftover from an install or found on the side of the road, they’re $20 Chinese garbage that they say retails for $3000 but they’ll sell them to you today for $200.

Yeah, there are some youtube videos of professionals that get the speakers and open them up to analyze the components and they're always awful and barely held together, almost amusingly so.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

https://x.com/scriptingjapan/status/1702081524815003735

The "Hi mom, it's me" scam is a little trickier in Japanese than in English.

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I think it's pretty textbook fraud to claim you're selling something high-end that is actually crap, but the stolen goods story probably reduces the number of people who will report being scammed.

I disagree - selling someone a box that has a brick in it instead of the speaker you said they were buying would be textbook fraud, but telling someone what the MSRP for an item is and showing them a published magazine review and sales brochures doesn't involve any clear misrepresentation of objective facts. You can make an argument that it's fraud, but you can make an argument that a lot of sales tactics and product labeling are fraud too, and it's pretty rare for people to get arrested or prosecuted for saying the thing they're selling is really good.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

CaptainSarcastic posted:

That's the reason they use audio equipment, "high end" is ambiguous and they can be careful not to make any specific claims. I've never encountered the speaker scam myself but I've heard the sell is mainly the implication they're stolen. You're approached by some randos in a van, already sketchy. They tell some story, "oh we work at a speaker store and ordered too many, were selling them off before out boss gets mad at us!" they don't expect you to believe that, you'll think they're selling stolen speakers. You take a look and they're called "Cambridge Audio" or something, you think you've heard that brand before. I mean they must be good, who would steal crap speakers? And you're getting a killer price because they're desperate to unload the hot goods! boom.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Organza Quiz posted:

https://x.com/scriptingjapan/status/1702081524815003735

The "Hi mom, it's me" scam is a little trickier in Japanese than in English.

That's a comic; it's written that way for laughs; it's as realistic as an American equivalent being "my son uses 'meow' as pronouns"; and the ore-ore scam has been around for almost two decades now.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
My dad fell for the white van speakers way back in the aughts. I don't remember if they worked at all but I took them apart at some point and the speaker membranes were paper.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Car Hater posted:

My dad fell for the white van speakers way back in the aughts. I don't remember if they worked at all but I took them apart at some point and the speaker membranes were paper.

They usually are, though? At least they used to be.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Zopotantor posted:

These days, it varies. Some are paper, others are polypropylene, kevlar, or various other materials. Tweeters can be metal.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Tweeters can be metal.

Buddy, tell me about it

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hatebeak#:~:text=Hatebeak%20is%20an%20American%20death,as%20to%20not%20distress%20Waldo.

Hatebeak is an American death metal band, formed by Blake Harrison and Mark Sloan, featuring Waldo (b. 1991), a grey parrot. Hatebeak is reported to be the first band to have an avian vocalist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwXKR9EWhXo

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Tears In A Vial posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hatebeak#:~:text=Hatebeak%20is%20an%20American%20death,as%20to%20not%20distress%20Waldo.

Hatebeak is an American death metal band, formed by Blake Harrison and Mark Sloan, featuring Waldo (b. 1991), a grey parrot. Hatebeak is reported to be the first band to have an avian vocalist

Brilliant.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
A classic Baltimore band! Reptilian Records is the bomb.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Tears In A Vial posted:

:3

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Tears In A Vial posted:

I love everything about this post

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Zopotantor posted:

I mean like, construction paper. not the stiff stuff that they should have been

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

This one is pretty good: my Dad emailed me this morning in a bit of a stir. He had received an invoice for antivirus and couldn't remember whether he had paid for anything or not. This is the invoice he received

Red flag number one: Bad English ("please refrain from paying again").
Red flag number two: "Zoom Office Management" is an address for some random suburban home in the middle of Nowhere, GA
Red flag number three: (800) 832-8508 is for a number in Fort Myers, FL. Could be a call center, center, though. Probably not but it's plausible.
Red flag number four: I've never even heard of "Zoom Antivirus", and it sounds really scammy.

These scams are often successful - not because they're good (this took 5 minutes of internet searches) but because unsuspecting elderly (my dad's turning 70 this year) folks like my dad won't remember if they paid for a service and pay out of a misguided sense of obligation.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Usually they're a lot shittier (I get one of those every few days). It's the digital equivalent of when people would send out invoices to random accounts-payables for services that were never rendered, assuming most places would just pay them.

Good on your dad for not falling for it.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I don't quite get it, it says three different ways that you've already paid it and spells out not to pay again. Are they looking for people to identify themselves as marks by disputing it? Creating a trail of credibility to bill them more later?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Flipperwaldt posted:

I don't quite get it, it says three different ways that you've already paid it and spells out not to pay again. Are they looking for people to identify themselves as marks by disputing it? Creating a trail of credibility to bill them more later?

Yeah, they want people to freak out and think they have been billed for something they didn't order, and then harvest personal/financial info when they follow up. That's why so much of current spam is fake invoices and order confirmations and poo poo.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
We'll get that refund right to you once you provide your credit card, expiration, and the numbers on the back, so we can find your invoice and process it :)

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Tears In A Vial posted:

If you enjoy Hatebeak you'll probably like Caninus. They did a 7" split with them:

"Caninus was an American deathgrind band formed as a side project by Most Precious Blood guitarist Justin Brannan, Rachel Rosen, drummer Colin Thundercurry and two female pitbull terriers, Budgie and Basil.[1] They were signed to War Torn Records and had three releases, including a split with Hatebeak"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caninus_(band)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrocEmhLsJk

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I just linked this in the greyhound thread, may as well link it here too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a90vXD9Kllk

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Flipperwaldt posted:

If you call them up and ask about it they probably hit you with the old computer hijacking refund scam

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

These scams are often successful - not because they're good (this took 5 minutes of internet searches) but because unsuspecting elderly (my dad's turning 70 this year) folks like my dad won't remember if they paid for a service and pay out of a misguided sense of obligation.
They also work because the real anti-virus companies do the exact same thing.

I deleted Norton AV and unsubscribed from their service on my mother's computer about a year ago because it slowed it down to the point of being unusable. A combination of Windows Defender, uBlock and a reasonable level of distrust is perfectly adequate protection against malware.

Since then Symantec started sending my mother "invoices" every month that made it sound like she's still using their service and needs to pay for it, but if you read the fine print it's an offer to re-subscribe. So I set up a rule in her email program to automatically report all their emails as spam and delete them. gently caress Symantec.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Sep 20, 2023

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Collateral Damage posted:

gently caress Symantec.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Yeah, 'real' antivirus software isn't that far away from antivirus software scams, except it's easier to get your computer back to normal after a run in with the scammers.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
I’m currently being scammed by someone with a fake FB profile in a job seekers group I’m in.

Yes I completely believe the spectacularly beautiful blonde girl artist is looking for guys for a high paying part time job and just happened to see me in a group that I haven’t even posted too yet. I also think the fact I got exactly the same message word for word from a different person is just a coincidence.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Wow, that's a great opportunity!

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Hotmail is such trash. Now I'm getting spam that automatically pop a scheduling reminder in hotmail. These just started this week. I love how all our forms of communication are now worthless because of scammers.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Soonmot posted:

Hotmail is such trash. Now I'm getting spam that automatically pop a scheduling reminder in hotmail. These just started this week. I love how all our forms of communication are now worthless because of scammers.

Don't blame the scammers. Blame the businesses that build these hacks in because they want to use them themselves. Your email provider should not be reading emails to add them to your calendar.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Gmail has figured out how to both do this, and not spam your calendar with literal spam.

Skill issue.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
It took them a while. They still refuse to enact a system that will require me to approve files before they're shared with me on Google Drive. Literally every time it's "go to Drive, find recently shared, report". More recently I've started being added to spam Google Groups, but at least there there are settings that prevent it from happening automatically.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I just got an email telling me that the NHS (we don’t call it that in Canada) is now offering to package medications for convenience if you sign up for it, but the preview text was full of typos, so I’m guessing it’s aimed at seniors to get info or get them to sign up for regular bills or something

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

All the robocalls I've gotten for a while now leave voicemails that start mid sentence because the scammer didn't program it to wait for the beep. I can't even tell what the angle is from what gets captured.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Usually when they do that for me they put the number at the end so I call asking what they want. Or would if I was dumb.