Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
The 15 Pro is one gram lighter than my 11 Pro, lol.

For generation 11, the Pro was an obvious choice to me over the regular version. Better specs and significantly smaller.

This time around they're the same size, and the non-pro is actually lighter. It's also cheaper. My biggest draws for the pro are the battery, display and color choices. The action button seems like an actual drawback. I'm not sure it's worth the price difference.

My biggest reasons for upgrading would be that my current battery and case (lol) are getting old. Getting a battery case like someone else upthread suggested would solve both of those. Maybe there's be a 16 Mini :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Residency Evil posted:

I have an AT&T plan via Firstnet that I pay $50/month for and have no plans of changing. Even international roaming is only $10/day now, up to a max of $100. Part of me cares about having a locked phone, but I will likely be with AT&T in 3 years. I don't care about the upfront cost, but no one else is going to pay me $800 for an iPhone 11 Pro, right? :effort:
If you wanna change your phone within 2 instead of 3 years, it’ll be harder to sell the carrier locked phone.

Also, I’m not sure whether AT&T honors your trade-in credits if you attempt to sign a new plan and buy a phone early.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The action button strikes me as something only power users will bother customizing. It’s like shortcuts. 99% of iPhone users never use it.

It’d be cool if they replaced it with something different, like the Apple Watch’s knob.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Vegetable posted:

Also, I’m not sure whether AT&T honors your trade-in credits if you attempt to sign a new plan and buy a phone early.

iirc they explicitly say you forfeit the rest of your trade-in credits

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Is there an optimal schedule for upgrading while on the Upgrade Program? Seems like every other year would be good but I’m not sure and I don’t read the fine print.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Snowy posted:

Is there an optimal schedule for upgrading while on the Upgrade Program? Seems like every other year would be good but I’m not sure and I don’t read the fine print.

I haven't really done the math recently, but I wonder if you are on the upgrade program and not upgrading every year that you probably shouldn't be on the upgrade program. Especially given that the amortization period seems to be 2 years and you'll own the phone at that point?

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

Upgrading question: I've been on the IUP for years. I'm planning to upgrade to the 15 Pro and sell my current phone through FB or Craigslist.

I want to upgrade my wife's 13 Pro, which she previously upgraded through our AT&T trade in plan (3 year deal). My line on AT&T has an available upgrade (since I always upgrade directly with Apple). Would it be possible to use her 13 Pro as a trade-in for the upgrade on my line?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Do you save any money doing those upgrade programs vs sticking $50 in a (metaphorical/literal) jar every month and buying the phone outright when the time comes? That’s what I’ve been doing for over a decade now and it’s great never having to worry about lock ins or contracts.

E: For Apple’s trade in program, it seems like what I’d have to do is pay the $999 up front and then I’d get a credit back to my card after they receive the old phone. Unless I used an Apple Card and got financing, in which case the trade in value is deducted immediately.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Sep 13, 2023

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Macichne Leainig posted:

I haven't really done the math recently, but I wonder if you are on the upgrade program and not upgrading every year that you probably shouldn't be on the upgrade program. Especially given that the amortization period seems to be 2 years and you'll own the phone at that point?
It's basically a wash assuming you want AppleCare+ (not AppleCare+ With Loss and Theft). If you don't, financing is cheaper. In either case, you own outright at the end of 2 years, but AUP gives you the option to upgrade after a year, which financing does not.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Do you save any money doing those upgrade programs vs sticking $50 in a (metaphorical/literal) jar every month and buying the phone outright when the time comes? That’s what I’ve been doing for over a decade now and it’s great never having to worry about lock ins or contracts.

E: For Apple’s trade in program, it seems like what I’d have to do is pay the $999 up front and then I’d get a credit back to my card after they receive the old phone. Unless I used an Apple Card and got financing, in which case the trade in value is deducted immediately.
No. You don't spend anything more, though, either.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Endless Mike posted:

It's basically a wash assuming you want AppleCare+ (not AppleCare+ With Loss and Theft). If you don't, financing is cheaper. In either case, you own outright at the end of 2 years, but AUP gives you the option to upgrade after a year, which financing does not.

I just saw something saying if you upgrade every year you’re paying for two phones at once, is that not right?

For most of my phone owning life I’ve kept old phones until they completely died but my job tends to trash phones. I went on the upgrade program so I don’t have to deal with hosed up charging ports and scratched screens as much. I would love to upgrade every year but I won’t if that’s a completely dumb thing to do

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Snowy posted:

I just saw something saying if you upgrade every year you’re paying for two phones at once, is that not right?

For most of my phone owning life I’ve kept old phones until they completely died but my job tends to trash phones. I went on the upgrade program so I don’t have to deal with hosed up charging ports and scratched screens as much. I would love to upgrade every year but I won’t if that’s a completely dumb thing to do

No you are only paying for your current phone.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Snowy posted:

If you use the upgrade program after a year, you hand over your old phone, accept whatever the new payment is and the clock restarts to 24 months. You're only paying for one phone.

If you use financing and decide to trade in after a year, you have to continue paying for that phone until it's paid off, but it will likely decrease the cost of a new phone (but probably not by 100%). In which case, yes, you'd be paying for two phones simultaneously for a year.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Vegetable posted:

If you wanna change your phone within 2 instead of 3 years, it’ll be harder to sell the carrier locked phone.

I'm on an 11 Pro so this is coming up on 4 years now. :effort:

I can always buy the contract out early if I care enough to upgrade in 2 years.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

I'm on an 11 Pro so this is coming up on 4 years now. :effort:

I can always buy the contract out early if I care enough to upgrade in 2 years.

You lose your billing credits on your current phone if you want out early and you have to pay off the remaining balance.

Which is where I'm at on my 13 Pro. 2 years into 3 years of credits. I have the choice of riding it out and getting the phone for free (the credits completely covered the cost of the phone), or paying like $3-400 to pay off the remaining balance and lose the billing credits.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Sep 13, 2023

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
My bud got his phone stolen a week after buying it so I’m wondering if I should get the AC+ w/ theft & loss monthly. The thought of buying the same $900 phone twice in a month is sickening. Anything to watch out for?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

You lose your billing credits on your current phone if you want out early and you have to pay off the remaining balance.

Which is where I'm at on my 13 Pro. 2 years into 3 years of credits. I have the choice of riding it out and getting the phone for free, or paying like $3-400 to pay off the remaining balance and lose the billing credits.
You could do what I’m gonna do — trade in the phone to Apple to get a new one and stay on AT&T for at least another year.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Vegetable posted:

You could do what I’m gonna do — trade in the phone to Apple to get a new one and stay on AT&T for at least another year.

Apple gives poo poo for trade-ins though.

I'm going to trade my kid's XR in, get a 15 Pro, keep it for a SIM swap, and give him my 13 Pro so I can use all the billing credits on it. They're offering like $350 for the XR, and that seems like a lot considering how old it is, so I'll take it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

buglord posted:

My bud got his phone stolen a week after buying it so I’m wondering if I should get the AC+ w/ theft & loss monthly. The thought of buying the same $900 phone twice in a month is sickening. Anything to watch out for?

Not really.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Vegetable posted:

You still have to buy out the balance on your phone with AT&T to do the trade and that forfeits your billing credits.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Tiny Timbs posted:

You still have to buy out the balance on your phone with AT&T to do the trade and that forfeits your billing credits.
I don’t think so. You send Apple your locked phone and start using the unlocked phone. You continue your monthly payments to AT&T at the contracted, credited rate. Everything I’ve read says this is true. It’s only a problem if you’re trading in to the carrier rather than Apple.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Vegetable posted:

I don’t think so. You send Apple your locked phone and start using the unlocked phone. You continue your monthly payments to AT&T at the contracted, credited rate. Everything I’ve read says this is true. It’s only a problem if you’re trading in to the carrier rather than Apple.

What is "everything you've read?" This doesn't sound right at all. And you're forfeiting a ton of cash by sending your phone to Apple instead of a carrier deal.

For instance, Apple will give me $480 for my 13 Pro. ATT will give me $1000. That alone makes it not worth it, even if what you say is true.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

What is "everything you've read?" This doesn't sound right at all. And you're forfeiting a ton of cash by sending your phone to Apple instead of a carrier deal.

For instance, Apple will give me $480 for my 13 Pro. ATT will give me $1000. That alone makes it not worth it, even if what you say is true.
Apple takes locked iPhones: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/253403671

Trading in to Apple may make sense if (a) you want an unlocked phone or (b) you want a new phone now but you’re still paying off your current phone + receiving bill credits from your carrier.

I travel regularly and the locked phone is a massive PITA for me. I’m not saying it’s a good deal for everyone.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

No, they're right and you'd need to check the math to see if it makes sense monetarily. If you have a carrier promo discount, your options are basically: trade in the phone to carrier, losing the promo and not getting a new one (but not owing anything on the old phone), pay off the balance and trade in to carrier (or Apple, but they are offering less) for their discount, or trade in the phone to Apple without paying the balance and having to continue "paying" whatever to the carrier *plus* whatever it is to Apple after the trade-in discount. I can see cases where the third one makes more sense than either of the first two (particularly the first one).

Essentially if your balance was more than what you'd pay to Apple after the discount, it would make sense to trade in your promo credited phone to Apple.

Crystal Thenis
Mar 23, 2023

by sebmojo
Heard about the 12 radiation issue today (lol?)

done my pre-preorder for the 15 pro. actually really excited about it (lol?)

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Doesn’t seem like dangerous cancer radiation at least

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
What is 12 radiation issue

I have iPhone 12 Pro

:ohdear:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

It radiates your balls.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Boris Galerkin posted:

I have iPhone 12 Pro

france is arguing that the iphone 12 needs to be recalled because it sheds too much radiation when held at arm's length, a test which they admit is also completely unrelated to anything real people do AND that Apple passed the testing requirement for in years past including on the iphone 12. it's basically the "5g causes brain cancer" equivalent of "THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA SAYS THAT CHOCOLATE MAY CONTAIN CARCINOGENS."

ignore it.

Crystal Thenis
Mar 23, 2023

by sebmojo

Boris Galerkin posted:

I have iPhone 12 Pro

France is trying to ban it for extreme levels

that is great when it’s been sitting in my pocket for the past couple of years. heard the story on the news today and instantly got my order started.

will keep the phone and maybe they’ll do a recall or something 🤷‍♂️

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Arivia posted:

france is arguing that the iphone 12 needs to be recalled because it sheds too much radiation when held at arm's length, a test which they admit is also completely unrelated to anything real people do AND that Apple passed the testing requirement for in years past including on the iphone 12. it's basically the "5g causes brain cancer" equivalent of "THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA SAYS THAT CHOCOLATE MAY CONTAIN CARCINOGENS."

ignore it.

If there’s too much radiation at arms length then that means there’s deffo too much when it’s in my pockets/next to my face?

I dunno I kinda trust regulatory agencies more than Tim Apple here

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Boris Galerkin posted:

If there’s too much radiation at arms length then that means there’s deffo too much when it’s in my pockets/next to my face?

I dunno I kinda trust regulatory agencies more than Tim Apple here

go ahead and read for yourself: https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-66795168
e: second link with more details https://www.reuters.com/technology/apple-disputes-french-findings-says-iphone-12-complies-with-radiation-standards-2023-09-13/

Crystal Thenis
Mar 23, 2023

by sebmojo
idk man

it’s enough to make me want to drop my 12. any risk is too much risk, still haven’t tested these bawls and really don’t want a spirograph baby

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

This says the opposite of what you posted:

quote:

First there is a "membre" - or limb - check, for when a phone is in close contact with a person's body, such as when it is held or placed in a trouser pocket. The SAR limit for this is four watts per kilogram.

The regulator said the device's "membre" SAR was 5.74 watts per kilogram - higher than the limit.

There is also a check for when a phone is slightly further away, such as when it is in a bag or jacket pocket, but the iPhone 12's SAR measure came in under this threshold.

So the radiation levels are too high in the most commonly used position/distance from the body and meets standards when it’s further away. That’s not what you said.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Boris Galerkin posted:

This says the opposite of what you posted:

So the radiation levels are too high in the most commonly used position/distance from the body and meets standards when it’s further away. That’s not what you said.

fine. i misremembered from the first time i read it. not my fault the french have a hosed up name for a "limb" test.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Arivia posted:

fine. i misremembered from the first time i read it. not my fault the french have a hosed up name for a "limb" test.

That’s fine that you misremembered. Thanks for providing the links.

But like surely you know the word “dismember” and know that it means to cut someone’s limbs off right

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Boris Galerkin posted:

That’s fine that you misremembered. Thanks for providing the links.

But like surely you know the word “dismember” and know that it means to cut someone’s limbs off right

gently caress off, not interested in having someone try and count coup on me right now.

Crystal Thenis
Mar 23, 2023

by sebmojo
let’s not get upset, unfortunately it seems like a thing that the iPhone 12 for some reason has this weird design flaw

the important thing is for users to know and they can make the decision that works for them. but to just say ignore it, probably isn’t a good precedent to set.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
uh, you guys do understand the difference between ionizing and non-ionizing radiation, right?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Idk but I’d be ok with this blowing up in the news and me getting a free phone upgrade out of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Inspect Your Gadgets › iPhone: RIP your balls