Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/WestVirginiaIWW/status/1701778464494272622

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

tomorrow is a huge day for the labor movement, solidarity with the Big 3. uaw president will be speaking at 5pm est with bargaining updates, I assume something similar will happen tomorrow. contract will expire at 11:59pm tomorrow

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

solidarity with the UAW!

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

strike is looking very likely

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

In Training posted:

tomorrow is a huge day for the labor movement, solidarity with the Big 3. uaw president will be speaking at 5pm est with bargaining updates, I assume something similar will happen tomorrow. contract will expire at 11:59pm tomorrow

lol

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

did they already forget the railroad workers

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

so apparently they're doing a sort of stand up strike and coordinating strikes as needed where needed instead of everyone just striking on day one

i wonder if this will work out better

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

HallelujahLee posted:

so apparently they're doing a sort of stand up strike and coordinating strikes as needed where needed instead of everyone just striking on day one

i wonder if this will work out better

for people who want to watch the announcement, here it is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TM0L5DqQ5s

it's an interesting tactic- wish i was high enough in UAW i could find out what the actual logic is behind it. my assumption with no internal knowledge whatsoever is that it lets them target key plants that can stop production, so the auto companies have to pay people to stand around instead of the union paying them out of the strike fund to stay home. it also lets them escalate to somewhere instead of starting at 100% striking.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
also with no contract there's nothing legally stopping your local from going on strike because your manager took the wrong tone with you that morning or whatever.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

it def sounds interesting and if done correctly it may actually work out even better than everyone at once either way

either way solidarity with all the uaw members

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

HallelujahLee posted:

it def sounds interesting and if done correctly it may actually work out even better than everyone at once either way

either way solidarity with all the uaw members

yeah i could see it causing a ton of chaos because the automakers have no idea how to plan against it unless someone snitches/leaks.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

kingcobweb posted:

yeah i could see it causing a ton of chaos because the automakers have no idea how to plan against it unless someone snitches/leaks.

snitches get stiches

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

solidarity with the UAW!

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

In Training posted:

Why would you not use every opportunity to mention the fact his name is Shawn Fain, its so good.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

yeah this tactic seems very smart (which is unfortunately why I expect some chudge to rule against it). strikes are ungodly expensive to workers and unions. you want to cause maximum disruption while forcing the employer to pay as many of you at a time as possible.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
lol if they cycle the strike around to different plants it's probably vastly more disruptive to the companies, AND less of a burden on the workers, AND harder for the companies to build any bank of scabs

i hope it works like im imagining

stumblebum
May 8, 2022

no, what you want to do is get somebody mad enough to give you a red title you're proud of
people love them some general strike, but i'm liking the sound of this permanent strike

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

part of this tactic, from my vantage point, is probably making up for a generally very deactivated union at the workplace/local level. Fain & his slate won on a reformist platform, and has been wonderful as a national figure to spearhead a new direction for how the UAW should be operating, but many many locations are underserved, deactivated, low membership engagement etc from decades of business unionism. something like only 10% of the union even voted, and he won on like a 2% margin.

So this could let them like, lead escalating strike actions with the militant and energetic workplaces to help prove to the crustier edges that this strike is real, this new vision for the UAW is no joke happening and its time to change the rules together. Could be really rad and energizing for swathes of workers left behind during the concessionary&corrupt decades

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

lol if they cycle the strike around to different plants it's probably vastly more disruptive to the companies, AND less of a burden on the workers, AND harder for the companies to build any bank of scabs

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

I'm an industrial hygienist and have a safety survey scheduled (contracted by the company) for a plant down in MO

Guess I might be having an office week because lol I'm not driving 7 hours to cross a picket line

The NPC
Nov 21, 2010

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

I'm thinking this targets different points in the JIT flow so they get cascading delays in parts deliveries without having to have an entire plant on strike.

Could be talking out my rear end though.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Scholtz posted:

I'm an industrial hygienist and have a safety survey scheduled (contracted by the company) for a plant down in MO

Guess I might be having an office week because lol I'm not driving 7 hours to cross a picket line

UAW plant I assume?? chances are it’s not gonna be on strike. but I’d email the union’s local to get in touch.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Yeah, UAW. Is there an easy way to look up the union's local?

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Scholtz posted:

it’s based on location, so if you google town the plant is in + UAW local you should find it

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

Scholtz posted:

If it's Ford in Kansas City, that's 249.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

If you want to watch the announcement of strike locations live, Shawn Fain will speaking tonight at 10pm on Facebook. im assuming that's what this is at least, I really really really doubt there's some last minute deal they'll be talking about.

Will hopefully include solidarity info for community calls to action. If you have a UAW shop in your area, stop by a picket! Donate some food or money to the strike fund! This is going to be another giant step for American labor alongside the ongoing wga/sag struggles

https://www.facebook.com/events/1310019886549617/

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Hey, I'm a non-union employee at a company where the union is currently striking. I work in-office two days, remote three days. Do I have any sort of right or protection to refuse to cross the picket line?

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

MJeff posted:

Hey, I'm a non-union employee at a company where the union is currently striking. I work in-office two days, remote three days. Do I have any sort of right or protection to refuse to cross the picket line?

join the union

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

lol loving stellantis - i dont even know who you are!

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

stellantis is the international holding corp that owns chrystler/dodge/jeep along with a bunch of other brands you've probably heard of (citroen, fiat, opel, maserati, vauxhall, peugot, alfa romeo) and ones you likely haven't (free2move, leasys)

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

i hope all three of those companies get owned by the union and taken over by the workers

(pipe dream)

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

MJeff posted:

as an individual: no, not really. however, "Collective Action" is a broad right that's protected. so you might not be able to refuse to cross a picket line by yourself, but if you get some coworkers together you (probably) can! and it's the right way to go about it anyway!

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

hailthefish posted:

stellantis is the international holding corp that owns chrystler/dodge/jeep along with a bunch of other brands you've probably heard of (citroen, fiat, opel, maserati, vauxhall, peugot, alfa romeo) and ones you likely haven't (free2move, leasys)

one of the most common responses to the strike i've heard is "who the gently caress is stellantis." it's like "tits" in george carlin's seven words.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

HallelujahLee posted:

i hope all three of those companies get owned by the union and taken over by the workers

(pipe dream)
Now that I think about it I guess JIT manufacturing means that its a lot less feasible nowadays to have factory occupations / factory takeovers by the workers

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

seems like a combination of being able to make the strike less painful to workers, while making it more unpredictable to the employer. hard to get scabs lined up, legal teams in place, etc. when a place is on strike three days then another then another. (dunno the planned duration, the effect is the same)

...i'd also suspect the lack of engagement brought up earlier is part of it too.

interesting tactic that could be devastating. get em

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

In Training posted:

If you want to watch the announcement of strike locations live, Shawn Fain will speaking tonight at 10pm on Facebook. im assuming that's what this is at least, I really really really doubt there's some last minute deal they'll be talking about.

Will hopefully include solidarity info for community calls to action. If you have a UAW shop in your area, stop by a picket! Donate some food or money to the strike fund! This is going to be another giant step for American labor alongside the ongoing wga/sag struggles

https://www.facebook.com/events/1310019886549617/

Shawn is live.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Its official. For the first time in UAW history, all 3 auto manufactures are now being struck.

Local 2250 GM
Local 12 Stellantis
Local 900 Ford

These are the workplaces initiating the stand up strike. This is an unbelievable moment for the American working class. Give em hell.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

solidarity

Eldoop
Jul 29, 2012

Cheeky? Us?
Why, I never!
GET EM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

In Training posted:

Its official. For the first time in UAW history, all 3 auto manufactures are now being struck.

Local 2250 GM
Local 12 Stellantis
Local 900 Ford

These are the workplaces initiating the stand up strike. This is an unbelievable moment for the American working class. Give em hell.

:letsgo: