Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Either Denver suburbs or Colorado Springs. I’m probably overreacting to “there’s snow here” but the only place I’ve lived with snow is NYC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Well Played Mauer posted:

Either Denver suburbs or Colorado Springs. I’m probably overreacting to “there’s snow here” but the only place I’ve lived with snow is NYC.

You are massively overreacting and limiting your choice in vehicles while increasing your costs severely.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Pleasantly surprised to find that my 2007 GTI is doing 22mpg (calculated manually) combined city/highway, only 2 less than the published figure it's supposed to have from factory, and I do a lot of WOT driving also. Car's been great.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

I’m trying to get ahead of a move from Texas to Colorado in a few months and am looking to get into an AWD wagon.

I found a 2019 Golf Alltrack with a manual transmission and about 35k miles that would be pretty much a swap from my current Mustang, price wise.

Are there any major issues to consider? I had an 04 Audi that ended up being a bit of a nightmare right as the warranty expired (electrical poo poo along with bad cams), but I like the idea of a VW over a Subaru since I actually enjoy driving.

These seem very highly regarded and manuals are tough to find, so I kinda want to pull the trigger but also don’t want to walk into a ticking time bomb. At least it has a timing chain.

I've got one meeting your listed spec and have been really enjoying it. I did have an electrical issue with cruise/acc/power windows going out randomly last year, but it's either a short in the harness or harness coming unplugged from a module in the driver's door due to flexing. I massaged the weather boot that the wiring lives in, issue hasn't come back up in the past 6 months.

I've got a misfire detected in cyl 3 and haven't gotten around to swapping plugs and coils around to see what's the culprit - I'd take it to the dealer for warranty work for this and what I've mentioned above, but it's a hassle getting over there. At 35k it's been running just fine.

The pano roof has been holding up fine too. I stay out from under trees and park inside mostly, but have been through some intense rain and some car washes without an issue.

Good timing for you, because I've seen prices falling from what I'd paid the dealer last year for a CPO '19 Alltrack. It's been a fun car for me, if a bit big and bulky compared to the Mk5 and B3 wagons I've driven long-term. Super comfortable and comparatively good on gas. I've heard they really rip with some tuning, too.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!

My gti with snow tires did just fine in Maine and New Hampshire

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Pine Cone Jones posted:

My gti with snow tires did just fine in Maine and New Hampshire

Out west sometimes there are chain requirements for not-AWD/4WD cars. Not sure that's the case in CO but that might drive me to AWD + snows rather than loving about with chains if you wanna go skiing.

I’m trying to get ahead of a move from Texas to Colorado in a few months and am looking to get into an AWD wagon.

I found a 2019 Golf Alltrack with a manual transmission and about 35k miles that would be pretty much a swap from my current Mustang, price wise.

I have one, 2019 S manual. No pano roof, on purpose, because I don't trust that poo poo. It's been pretty much dead reliable though it only has 20k miles on it. The rear Haldex unit wants a fluid change with alarming regularity, I think once every three years. Other than that annoying cost, it's gotten rotors and pads (street parking in a slush / salt / humid environment with rare driving is bad for rotors and pads), and annual oil changes. It's been reliable.

I have an APR+ tune which gets it to about 230 hp. It's good, slightly peakier but it's much better than stock. I recommend doing that.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
I think the CO chain law is kinda stupid and lets you get away with any tires if you have awd, but requires good tires if you have 2wd. I haven’t owned a fwd in a long time but awd on real snow tires feels like cheat codes.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Out west sometimes there are chain requirements for not-AWD/4WD cars. Not sure that's the case in CO but that might drive me to AWD + snows rather than loving about with chains if you wanna go skiing.

I have one, 2019 S manual. No pano roof, on purpose, because I don't trust that poo poo. It's been pretty much dead reliable though it only has 20k miles on it. The rear Haldex unit wants a fluid change with alarming regularity, I think once every three years. Other than that annoying cost, it's gotten rotors and pads (street parking in a slush / salt / humid environment with rare driving is bad for rotors and pads), and annual oil changes. It's been reliable.

I have an APR+ tune which gets it to about 230 hp. It's good, slightly peakier but it's much better than stock. I recommend doing that.

There are tire cords you can use in place of chains, if I recall, which are certainly easier than chains. Unless you're going to be taking mountain passes often, I'm not sure I'd worry too much.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Loved my '19 Alltrack but it got totalled last year with low miles, so never really had a chance to develop any issues.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
My gti on snows did fine in Colorado. I believe you just have to have Mountain peak tires on a 2wd vehicle and whatever on awd for the Colorado rules. Doesn’t hurt to carry chains or snow socks of course. AWD is a legit benefit if you’re regularly in the mountains but isn’t necessary. Tires are key either way.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
The pano sunroof would be your biggest concern but at least the Class Action Lawsuit covering them is about to finalize meaning VW will cover or reimburse all repairs if it leaks:

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Could a leaky pano direct water into the drivers foot well? I've got a 2013 Sportwagen TDI, idk if my model would be affected by that lawsuit but it does have a pano and a horrible leak that floods my foot well every time it rains. It developed this leak recently, right before my turbo supposedly went out however that water pours right through my dash electronics, near the OBD2 port. I'm wondering if some electrical thing got cooked.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

have you cleared the sunroof drains?

dialhforhero posted:

The pano sunroof would be your biggest concern but at least the Class Action Lawsuit covering them is about to finalize meaning VW will cover or reimburse all repairs if it leaks:

it sucks to deal with even if you aren't paying

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Proletarian Mango posted:

Could a leaky pano direct water into the drivers foot well? I've got a 2013 Sportwagen TDI, idk if my model would be affected by that lawsuit but it does have a pano and a horrible leak that floods my foot well every time it rains. It developed this leak recently, right before my turbo supposedly went out however that water pours right through my dash electronics, near the OBD2 port. I'm wondering if some electrical thing got cooked.

It’s probably a clogged drain tube, although those tubes can also dry rot. I’ve had the same issue with my 2011 JSW on the front passenger side, and it was a clogged drain.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Thanks for the info, everyone. I ended up grabbing the 2019 SE. It was a Carvana purchase so I’m taking it to a well regarded shop to do a pre-purchase inspection to make sure the PO didn’t leave glitter in the engine oil, but assuming everything checks out I’m really happy with it so far. Very much the all-rounder that I was looking for in a dad wagon.

The shop I’m going to is an APR dealer. I’m probably gonna have them do a Plus install if there’s no issues with the car. The extra $500 for the warranty coverage seems worth it for my peace of mind if nothing else, though I’ve yet to find anyone on the internet who’s had an issue due to the tune other than premature clutch failure.

Well Played Mauer fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Sep 13, 2023

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I talked to the shop that did APR+ on my alltrack and they said that they had not really seen much in the way of warranty claimed failures on Mk. 7s. A wastegate problem was all they mentioned. Still, I don't hate having the warranty even though there have been no issues.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I talked to the APR shop by me which is actually owned by the VW dealer and they say they have never had an APR+ claim. I was curious how easy they were to honor the warranty, but the shop said they haven't ever had to. Seems like the biggest APR shop around too.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Yeah, even googling/searching reddit turned up nothing in regard to a claim. It seems frivolous but if$500 on a warranty that's not entirely necessary is the dumbest purchase I make in the next two years, I owe myself a Coke.

Lord Rupert
Dec 28, 2007

Neither seen, nor heard
Anyone have experience dealing with rattles in Mk7.5 Golf’s or the like? I have one at around 1500 rpm, regardless of what gear I’m in. Sounds like passenger side around the b pillar.

Dealership had it for some time (3 weeks!) and could not duplicate, so now I’ve got the car back. I should be happy that it isn’t rattling currently, but idk how long that’ll last.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

My partner's 2014 MK6 Jetta SE 1.8t w/ automatic transmission refuses to start.

The car is a daily driver with ~187k miles on it and has up til this point ran and drove fine. Other than a ~30 mile trip that morning, I drove the car a mile down the road to my parents house. I parked the car and returned 10 minutes later. This is when the car refused to start. I turned the key and right away for a split second the engine sounds like its firing up but then it just cranks. It's like this each time I try to start the car. It sounds like it's going to fire up first thing, then only cranking. I also noticed as I try to start the car that the ignition lacks the "springing" motion that turns the key back when I let go of it, that is to say, when I release the key after trying to start the car, it remains in the forward position and the engine will continually try to crank over. I'm pretty sure I wasn't high at the time but I don't think that's normal. In the past, we had an issue with the ignition where the key was locked in and couldn't be turned. It was fixed by removing the ignition and cleaning it out.

Given that there were issues with it in the past, and the key sticking in the forward "crank" position with no hand on it, my first assumption was that the ignition went bad. I replaced the ignition and the car still refuses to fire up, and the key still sticks forward so I guess that's normal?? or it's somehow related to the car refusing to start despite not being the problem, I'm not sure, which is why come here.

My next assumption is that because the key is sticking forward, and that the engine wants to fire up for a split second, the starter solenoid has gone bad. However, I'm also wondering if it could possibly be the fuel filter/fuel pump. I've also thought perhaps it's a timing issue, but I'm not sure if the car has a timing chain or belt. Anybody know for sure? The car hasn't shown any symptoms leading up to this, it ran good. Any thoughts on what possible causes could be would be greatly appreciated.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

First thing to check on any newish car is to pull codes. Get a Bluetooth obd reader and whatever free app to pull codes and see what you've got. Might be a dead crank/cam sensor or the like that you'll never guess without scanning it first.

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no
That sounds like a bad ignition lock cylinder. Did you replace the cylinder too or just the housing? It should spring back from the start position.

I've heard of similar happening but where the engine won't turn off. The key will just spin in the ignition. From what I recall, the fix in that case required a new cylinder and key.

Edit re: bad fuel pump. You should hear the pump prime when you open the driver side door.

bigman.50grand fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Sep 14, 2023

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Lord Rupert posted:

Anyone have experience dealing with rattles in Mk7.5 Golf’s or the like? I have one at around 1500 rpm, regardless of what gear I’m in. Sounds like passenger side around the b pillar.

Dealership had it for some time (3 weeks!) and could not duplicate, so now I’ve got the car back. I should be happy that it isn’t rattling currently, but idk how long that’ll last.

Rattles at certain RPMs always mean 'exhaust heat shield' to me but I honestly haven't had that issue in a really long time. I would say something is loose on or around the engine though if it's an RPM specific noise.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

bigman.50grand posted:

That sounds like a bad ignition lock cylinder. Did you replace the cylinder too or just the housing? It should spring back from the start position.

I've heard of similar happening but where the engine won't turn off. The key will just spin in the ignition. From what I recall, the fix in that case required a new cylinder and key.

Edit re: bad fuel pump. You should hear the pump prime when you open the driver side door.

Sorry, should've been clearer. The ignition lock assembly was replaced. The lock cylinder was swapped over from the old unit to the new one. The housing is unchanged.

I know I need to pull the codes yet. I'll look at scanners today. Hopefully they aren't too expensive.

I forgot to mention too that on the drive over to my parents right before the problem, there was a sort of exhaust pop type sound, and the car had a slight growl afterwards. I thought the car sounded like it had an exhaust leak before and at the time I assumed it just got bigger. It's been two weeks at this point and I just remembered that.

E: any scanner recommendations?
E: nvm found one

Proletarian Mango fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Sep 14, 2023

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

I bought a Bluetooth one from Amazon for cheap that's served me well the few times I've needed it. Dunno if you use iPhone or Android but surely there's an iPhone equivalent.

https://a.co/d/cYIn8fz

Obd eleven is something I used on my GTI that also wasn't too expensive but it's VW specific I believe.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I'm on my phone so can't click American Amazon links without swapping my home country in the app, but if the link above isn't to the carista product, I would recommend the carista BT reader.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

I'm on my phone so can't click American Amazon links without swapping my home country in the app, but if the link above isn't to the carista product, I would recommend the carista BT reader.

It isn't that, it's a generic obd2 reader. Did I read that right that carista requires a monthly payment? Not another subscription service...

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Suburban Dad posted:

It isn't that, it's a generic obd2 reader. Did I read that right that carista requires a monthly payment? Not another subscription service...

Iirc carista will read generic codes without a sub, but won't read manufacturer specific codes or allow you to code the ecu.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Suburban Dad posted:

You also get a free week of premium or something and you can install it to your secure folder on an android phone for an extra week.

Lord Rupert
Dec 28, 2007

Neither seen, nor heard

VelociBacon posted:

Rattles at certain RPMs always mean 'exhaust heat shield' to me but I honestly haven't had that issue in a really long time. I would say something is loose on or around the engine though if it's an RPM specific noise.

Thanks! I’ll put it up on ramps and see if anything is loose. My brother suggested the same thing, happened on his Del Sol and Fit with v similar behavior.

Outside of that it’s probably just a waiting game for it to start buzzing again.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Welp, had a massive rainstorm here last night and learned that I have the leaky moonroof problem. It wasn't extensive but the VW dealer nearby said that's an open recall now and they'll fix it for free. I just had to order a car cover for the two weeks between now and then so I don't get a mold problem in the new ride.

I had an indie shop look everything else over and they said it's in great shape. They also do APR tunes so I'm gonna knock that out after doing a recall run at the VW dealer.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Welp, had a massive rainstorm here last night and learned that I have the leaky moonroof problem. It wasn't extensive but the VW dealer nearby said that's an open recall now and they'll fix it for free. I just had to order a car cover for the two weeks between now and then so I don't get a mold problem in the new ride.

I had an indie shop look everything else over and they said it's in great shape. They also do APR tunes so I'm gonna knock that out after doing a recall run at the VW dealer.

Might be worth putting some of those humidity absorbing things in the car if you think there's moisture in it, just until it's fixed. I think the brand I've used is Dry-z-Air or some poo poo like that.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Yeah good call. It was hot and dry today so outside of a water spot near the passenger sun visor everything else cleared up. I also drove around with the fan and circulated the outside air into the car.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
I am sorry you had this happen. But I am confident you will still love the car (I do with my SportWagen. Hell, my wife wants an Alltrack now.)

Don’t be surprised if you get a loaner for a while as parts come in. That headliner is waaaaay backordered.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Thank you for validating my decision to not get the sunroof. That sucks to deal with. As far as I can tell there isn’t a really permanent fix since part of the root cause is just physics.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
The root cause is apparently a spot weld. It causes the seal’s…seal to he compromised. It then detaches more and more over time. The fix is to take the entire sunroof out and grind down the spot weld.

I have see pics of the spot weld. It’s a pretty big spot. Some lovely welder is costing VAG millions.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Yeah, I got a cover on the car but got caught in some hard rain on the drive home. I didn’t see any leaks while I was actually driving so hopefully I got lucky. The rain a couple days ago was torrential.

My appointment with the dealer is only a couple weeks away. I’ve heard it can take up to a few weeks to get everything fixed. I got a bit of water spotting on the roof just near the sun visor. It’d be cool if they clean that too.

I also got one of those drying packs in there now. Obviously won’t fix anything but I’m hoping it’ll keep mildew and mold at bay before it gets fixed.

Car has been awesome outside of the leak.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

dialhforhero posted:

The root cause is apparently a spot weld. It causes the seal’s…seal to he compromised. It then detaches more and more over time. The fix is to take the entire sunroof out and grind down the spot weld.

I have see pics of the spot weld. It’s a pretty big spot. Some lovely welder is costing VAG millions.

For sure it's a robot weld isn't it? Especially a spot weld.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Yeah, I got a cover on the car but got caught in some hard rain on the drive home. I didn’t see any leaks while I was actually driving so hopefully I got lucky. The rain a couple days ago was torrential.

My appointment with the dealer is only a couple weeks away. I’ve heard it can take up to a few weeks to get everything fixed. I got a bit of water spotting on the roof just near the sun visor. It’d be cool if they clean that too.

I also got one of those drying packs in there now. Obviously won’t fix anything but I’m hoping it’ll keep mildew and mold at bay before it gets fixed.

Car has been awesome outside of the leak.

The headliner spots is one of my fears of roof leaks. They can clean it with like Fantastik spray and try to lighten the spot, but sometimes water makes permanent marks in headliners and it’d have to be replaced. Most people don’t notice that type of condition issue though if it passes a 5 foot test I’d say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
I need to figure out how to upload photos in the Awful app, but it’s got about a 9-inch dark zigzag that’s so noticeable it makes me believe the previous owners garaged the car.

I’m willing to deal with a loaner, especially since I’m just doing a big “fix all the open recalls” appointment if they’ll replace or clean it. It’s not a huge deal - with a 5 year old the interior is going to look like a war zone - but if it’s free I’ll take it.