Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

rotor posted:

in my dream i have a nice house in vancouver and a lil getaway cabin on gabriola

this is my dream too except tofino instead of gabriola

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Same but Portland and the wallowas

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

yeah, that’s largely why I’ve stayed in Detroit. I have a mostly boring but frequently interesting job with a TC of around 165k, and the Detroit COL is cheap as hell lol

I would take a pay cut to have the alps in my back yard since I think the Swiss col is equivalent or maybe slightly more than here, but tbh idk if they have a private insurance scheme or what since the Swiss do their own thing. Sydney would need a raise for a move since it’s dollarydoos and the col is nuts due to housing

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

are there tech jobs in Norway unrelated to the oil industry tho?

cuz I’m fluent in Norwegian and wouldn’t mind moving back lol. plus I would have to convince my American wife to relocate which even on paper is going to be A Tough Sell

my man, you live in loving detroit and moving (back) to norway with the wifey is a hard sell?

is this ya'lls engagement photoshoot?

i love figgies like the rest of us but money isn't everything, drat

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

rotor posted:

in my dream i have a nice house in vancouver and a lil getaway cabin on gabriola

Same but Lausanne and somewhere in Valais

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

my man, you live in loving detroit and moving (back) to norway with the wifey is a hard sell?

is this ya'lls engagement photoshoot?

i love figgies like the rest of us but money isn't everything, drat

we did actually do an engagement picture in a theatre they were tearing down so lol

but no the main issue would be a lack of family support. my family has largely left Ireland for the US right before the GFA was signed, and we floated around a few different countries before ending up here as well, so losing that would be a massive blow even though the QoL would be better in Norway.

I think eventually it may be something to consider, but not while the kids are all under 5 :rip:

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
grade schools in norway don't have regular active shooter drills, or any active shooter drills at all for that matter.

something to consider.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Sapozhnik posted:

grade schools in norway don't have regular active shooter drills, or any active shooter drills at all for that matter.

something to consider.

the younger you can start kids down the bilingual path, the better as well

i had to renew my passport at the consulate this year, and while chatting with the consul general, she mentioned that, in the past, they would usually have two or three people a year investigate getting dual citizenship through their parents or grandparents. for the last couple of years their phone has been ringing off the hook from people (US citizens) trying to get dual citizenship for themselves and (mainly) their children

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Sep 5, 2023

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

Sapozhnik posted:

something to consider.
Just don't send them to summer camp

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

SeXTcube posted:

Just don't send them to summer camp

:drat:

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I will say taking a haircut by leaving the USA is not a direct comparison.

For example, I took a 50% cut by numbers going to South Korea from USA. But my takehome pay at the end of all the taxes, rent, car, health etc was the same.

The USA must pay those absurd amounts because you are absolutely covered in blood sucking leeches.

Currently posting from New Zealand too right now so do run a visit before you decide anything because jesus christ the roads here are some mario kart poo poo with all the curves.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Also the haircuts just wtf

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Gildiss posted:

Also the haircuts just wtf

lmao never seen a mullet before? did the eshays make it over or are they still an Aussie thing?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

CompeAnansi posted:

Yeah, it's because the first freeways in socal were not numbered, but instead named, e.g., "the san diego freeway" and "the santa monica freeway". When they started numbering them, people who were used to calling it "the santa monica freeway" switched to just saying "the 10" instead, keeping the "the" in front. The rest of the country would typically say something like I-10 instead, so it is somewhat unusual. That said, I grew up in the central coast and we all called it the 101, so the dialect makes it that far north, at least.

as any travel in LA inevitably requires a list of no less than 3 freeways, they need to pepper "The" in there to break things up so you can tell if it's "5 to 10" or "5, 210"

"the 5 to the 10" just jam extra syllables to make up for the awful infrastructure

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

it never bothered me or seemed particularly noteworthy that people call it "the 5" and so on when i moved to socal. i dont really understand why people give a poo poo.

especially when the true linguistic scourge, the phrase "jojo potatoes" is still in use

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I interviewed a guy today, and for the first time in a while I was impressed. he built a dumb dog.ceo app and got it running all while using extra stuff like Hilt for DI and Compose for the views, and even used a sealed class to control the state of the api result.

it’ll be really nice to have four experienced devs on our team, tho hopefully we don’t have a lot of free time on our hands due to it

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

knox_harrington posted:

idk anything about the actual software engineer jobs but Switzerland is about the only place with similar or higher pay than expensive US locations, and has a decent tech sector. From my team the people based in CH get salaries a bit higher than those in SF/Seattle and there's an additional 20k cash "car allowance" on top of that.

A brief search brings up this kind of thing
https://twint.recruitee.com/o/senior-ios-engineer-80100

The government aggregates salaries and provides an estimator to check you're getting paid enough. Not sure exactly how senior a senior engineer is but certainly 150k+ CHF ($170 US)
https://www.bfs.admin.ch/bfs/de/home/statistiken/arbeit-erwerb/loehne-erwerbseinkommen-arbeitskosten/lohnniveau-schweiz/salarium.html

Obviously you have to also get a work permit which isn't totally straightforward but it is possible.

Switzerland is insanely expensive though

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Does anyone have a good list of interview questions to review? I have a "pre-interview" interview with the HR hiring manager soon, so most likely its going to be the "what is your greatest weakness?" type questions rather than loads of technical questions.

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006
I AM SUCH A FUCKUP THAT I CAN'T EVEN POST IN AN E/N THREAD I STARTED
if it's the hiring manager/recruiter, just make sure you rehearse the answers to "why do you want to work here?" (can be a lie), "what are you looking for?" (can be a lie), and "what are your salary expectations?" (can be a lie, at your own risk)

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Pulcinella posted:

Does anyone have a good list of interview questions to review? I have a "pre-interview" interview with the HR hiring manager soon, so most likely its going to be the "what is your greatest weakness?" type questions rather than loads of technical questions.

"HR hiring manager" is a weird phrase unless this is a HR job. in general the HR interviews I've had have been very basic and just asking general things about my CV, how you work in teams, general culture/"fit" stuff.

lord fifth
Dec 26, 2019

LUCK ???
90 minute interview with two engineers at once today. ive always wanted to do two engineers at the same time

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
You could cut that time down if you lined them up tip to tip

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
They're just gonna argue about what color to paint your bikeshed, iykwim

lord fifth
Dec 26, 2019

LUCK ???
ive got two hands. no reason to go tip to tip until there are three engineers involved

HamAdams
Jun 29, 2018

yospos
something something premature optimization

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

lord fifth posted:

90 minute interview with two engineers at once today. ive always wanted to do two engineers at the same time

*project managerishly* so you'll be done in 45 minutes?

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

knox_harrington posted:

"HR hiring manager" is a weird phrase unless this is a HR job. in general the HR interviews I've had have been very basic and just asking general things about my CV, how you work in teams, general culture/"fit" stuff.

could be a matrix organization. at my last university gig, i had one manager who did just hr-like poo poo, and other managers for the projects i worked on.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

CompeAnansi posted:

Yeah, it's because the first freeways in socal were not numbered, but instead named, e.g., "the san diego freeway" and "the santa monica freeway". When they started numbering them, people who were used to calling it "the santa monica freeway" switched to just saying "the 10" instead, keeping the "the" in front. The rest of the country would typically say something like I-10 instead, so it is somewhat unusual. That said, I grew up in the central coast and we all called it the 101, so the dialect makes it that far north, at least.

its a regional dialetc

lord fifth
Dec 26, 2019

LUCK ???

lord fifth posted:

it was a database query optimization problem and the interviewers seemed mad that my answer wasnt "precompute all possible queries and cache them." weird loving interview. they did specify up front that there was no bound on the time for database construction but, like, what sane person would take that as direction to precompute every possible query ??

i would also give answers at a high level and then they would get mad that i didnt exactly explain what lines of code i would have to change to implement whatever scenario they threw at me. probably not a good company for me

Its a Rolex
Jan 23, 2023

Hey, posting is posting. You emptyquote, I turn my monitor on; what's the difference?
i had an interviewer for an embedded role in college get mad that i wrote binary search "like a software engineer instead of like an electrical engineer." i think he meant recursively instead of iteratively but it felt like a dig and he didn't qualify anything when he asked the question

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

lord fifth posted:

it was a database query optimization problem and the interviewers seemed mad that my answer wasnt "precompute all possible queries and cache them." weird loving interview. they did specify up front that there was no bound on the time for database construction but, like, what sane person would take that as direction to precompute every possible query ??

i would also give answers at a high level and then they would get mad that i didnt exactly explain what lines of code i would have to change to implement whatever scenario they threw at me. probably not a good company for me

i would simply memorize the database's contents and answer queries myself

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Its a Rolex posted:

i had an interviewer for an embedded role in college get mad that i wrote binary search "like a software engineer instead of like an electrical engineer." i think he meant recursively instead of iteratively but it felt like a dig and he didn't qualify anything when he asked the question

having dealt with reams of code from both you should run screaming from the one who wants code like an electrical engineer

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

JawnV6 posted:

having dealt with reams of code from both you should run screaming from the one who wants code like an electrical engineer

cannot be emphasized enough

lord fifth
Dec 26, 2019

LUCK ???

well-read undead posted:

i would simply memorize the database's contents and answer queries myself

:hmmyes:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

JawnV6 posted:

:hmmyes:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

one time I took a project over and the EE’s had been using SharePoint as their source control

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

knox_harrington posted:

Yeah its just the person in charge of making sure the person interviewed is not a complete crazy person, has at least the bare minimum of social skills, and doesn't have stinky views about women & minorities (or I guess is smart enough to not bring it up in an interview).

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Its a Rolex posted:

i appreciate that he should've said something but embedded roles is one of the places where i'd expect you to be able to talk about why iterative is the right choice. even if you implemented it recursively i'd want a "i'm doing it this way because xyz but iterative would be better in situations abc." hell id expect that conversation even in non-embedded roles. less important if there's tco and all that i guess, but that out is gonna depend on the language and how you wrote the algorithm

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
tco is definitively a step into weenieland

its an aesthetic thing. dont reveal the weenie if they dont ask for it

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

wait i thought at interviews they usually wanted to see your weenie

this...explains a lot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Got a first-round interview/chat for a super swanky FAANG gig downtown today. I've known the guy I'm meeting with for years, we're old friends and colleagues and this position is a natural fit. Responded to my LinkedIn DM within 10 minutes with "would love to have you on this team" and set up the meeting. Got a good feeling about this one