Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

As opposed to unaffordable housing which…?

Further enriches those with housing. Try to keep up.

Bring in affordable housing and crash the housing market you cowards!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xpforr
Sep 7, 2022

I’ve seen some of his tiktoks, legitimately just another real estate investor with brainworms. Absolutely refuses to see housing as anything else than an investment or passive income generation.

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

PhilippAchtel posted:

I take no joy breaking this to the thread but PP is going to be the next prime minister

Oh 100%

Followed by Doug Ford and Minister of the Environment Phoenix Kiss

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

I'm legitimately wondering how someone learns Quebecois French as an adult because all of the language learning resources online just do French French and it seems dumb as hell that there isn't like an equivalent to Goethe-Institut but for French in Canada

Québécois media is a good one. a number of my friends got better at French from the quebecois dub of the simpsons (which is rather different than the Parisian dub), helps as you already know a bunch of the beats and stuff

immersion as mentioned is good but would be better in a purely francophone city rather than MTL as the place is super bilingual & ppl will just revert on you

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

He’s not wrong but also not crashing housing will also mean the end of our economy. Crashing housing is actually the lesser pain for all the pain it will cause.

I wonder if we will see fracture amongst the vampire capitalists that need cheap labour and the vampire capitalists who need high housing prices. I know we are in hell world and somehow they might coexist but I think one is going to have to die for the other to live.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟

Xpforr posted:

I’ve seen some of his tiktoks, legitimately just another real estate investor with brainworms. Absolutely refuses to see housing as anything else than an investment or passive income generation.

I hope his overexposed rear end is broke in a year

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟

Noblesse Obliged posted:

He’s not wrong but also not crashing housing will also mean the end of our economy. Crashing housing is actually the lesser pain for all the pain it will cause.

I wonder if we will see fracture amongst the vampire capitalists that need cheap labour and the vampire capitalists who need high housing prices. I know we are in hell world and somehow they might coexist but I think one is going to have to die for the other to live.

What if they both die

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Noblesse Obliged posted:

better the economy you know than the one you dont

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
I for one look forward to the return of corporate scrip so that I can buy Loblaws™ brand 0.25 ply toilet paper for my 16-man dormatory housing in NoFrillsVille (formerly Oshawa), where rent is a mere $8,000 per month for my bunk and shared use of commode.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

if you have a better plan to generate wealth with no input costs id like to hear it

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001
I am an omnipotent penguin.

don’t worry guys I just read in the CBC we’re gonna get 3.5M new houses by 2030. all we’ve gotta do is finish 11k a week until then.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
housing as an investment is just stealing from every other part of the economy

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

ElehemEare posted:

don’t worry guys I just read in the CBC we’re gonna get 3.5M new houses by 2030. all we’ve gotta do is finish 11k a week until then.

Just like our climate targets!

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

it's okay to shed unproductive segments of the economy, like food production, manufacturing, healthcare

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

drat horror queefs posted:

I for one look forward to the return of corporate scrip so that I can buy Loblaws™ brand 0.25 ply toilet paper for my 16-man dormatory housing in NoFrillsVille (formerly Oshawa), where rent is a mere $8,000 per month for my bunk and shared use of commode.

Presidents Choice Memories of Home Ownership

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

It's more surprising that we had a brief period of time being a real country with a real economy, in hindsight.

I would rather we go back to HBC than the spreadsheet vampires. John Company paid, fed, housed and clothed his workers.

Gainsboro
Feb 28, 2023

Twenty Year Lurker

Frosted Flake posted:

I would rather we go back to HBC than the spreadsheet vampires. John Company paid, fed, housed and clothed his workers.
What if we did this, but the enterprise is run by the government and everyone gets their fair share? I'm sure there's some political ideology advocating that.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

drat horror queefs posted:

yeah this poo poo needs to pop I don’t understand how so many of our cities are even supposed to function when the myriad of lower paid labour that like, makes a place work at a baseline can’t even afford to live there. it’s fuckin rich assholes or abject poverty

OldAlias has issued a correction as of 20:15 on Sep 13, 2023

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

we need to bring back the guillotine so very badly

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

Noblesse Obliged posted:

Looll, that's a rough chuckle

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
there's so many loving manitoba pc signs in my area, who still wants to vote for heather stefanson????

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

DariusLikewise posted:

there's so many loving manitoba pc signs in my area, who still wants to vote for heather stefanson????

Dipshits and sadists. I've seen a few in my area, but more NDP signs. The ones that have PC signs also had signs for the PPC party last federal election, so you know where they fall on the rear end in a top hat scale.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

quote:

...despite union voters thinking the NDP would best represent their union’s interests, this doesn’t translate into support for the party.

https://www.338canada.ca/p/labour-unions-and-the-ndps-electoral

I think this is because union members want a tax cut so they can buy a new ATV.

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

Noblesse Obliged posted:

Perfect, no notes

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

Noblesse Obliged posted:

drat.

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.

DariusLikewise posted:

People who don't want an Indigenous man as Premier for ~reasons~

corgiwizard
Oct 27, 2020

just make it illegal to own more than two homes and tax the poo poo out of the second home

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

:canada:

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001
I am an omnipotent penguin.

corgiwizard posted:

just make it illegal to own more than two homes and tax the poo poo out of the second home

won’t someone please think of the poor suffering REITs

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

OldAlias posted:

Québécois media is a good one. a number of my friends got better at French from the quebecois dub of the simpsons (which is rather different than the Parisian dub), helps as you already know a bunch of the beats and stuff

immersion as mentioned is good but would be better in a purely francophone city rather than MTL as the place is super bilingual & ppl will just revert on you

I feel like at this point the only way I'd pick up french is by watching the dubbed simpsons. I watched it as a kid a ton because there was a half-hour gap around 7:30 when there were no simpsons on TV anywhere but the french channels. It was that or Hogan's Heroes reruns that I'd already watched a billion times because of the gap. This was also the period in which my grasp of french was the strongest.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

No one has mentioned Slap Shot yet?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

who howns de canada

corgiwizard
Oct 27, 2020

ElehemEare posted:

won’t someone please think of the poor suffering REITs

oh yeah hadn’t thought of that, never mind

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

PhilippAchtel posted:

I take no joy breaking this to the thread but PP is going to be the next prime minister

not if we vote strategically!

I'll start the wiki

Puppy Burner
Sep 9, 2011
Nah, the NDP will grow a spine and release a real platform any day now...

corgiwizard
Oct 27, 2020

Puppy Burner posted:

Nah, the NDP will grow a spine and release a real platform any day now...

☝🏻me voting for the first time 20 years ago

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

odiv posted:

No one has mentioned Slap Shot yet?

Shoresy season 2 is coming out next month. I don't know if it ever had a Quebecois dub but it should.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

We live in the stupidest loving society.

"Raise revenue to build public housing?"

"No. Lower revenue to incentivize private construction (somehow)"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZK7p9mykto

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

We live in the stupidest loving society.

"Raise revenue to build public housing?"

"No. Lower revenue to incentivize private construction (somehow)"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZK7p9mykto

lol not one cent of that will come off the price of the home. just giving away free money to developers. no different than Doug Ford.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Noblesse Obliged posted:

lol not one cent of that will come off the price of the home. just giving away free money to developers. no different than Doug Ford.

That's exactly what I was thinking. It's about as close to the opposite of state funded public housing as it gets.