Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

mcmagic posted:

they just dragged kids out of bed and some creepy guy killed them? was that a thing?

TW I had the strong impression he was raping them. I might be wrong, but I guess it is pretty ambiguous either way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Why is Max sending me ads for video games now???? What the what?

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

i would guess it's because Warner owns the studio that develops MK. Still kinda weird.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

smackfu posted:

Why is Max sending me ads for video games now???? What the what?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I've said it in prior threads but Warner Bros has a large amount of debt, 50 billion with a b. A simple way to put this is here:

https://simplywall.st/stocks/us/media/nasdaq-wbd/warner-bros-discovery

They are doing everything they can to boost revenue, so you're going to see a lot of this kind of nonsense.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
What's funny is that unlike most of their films, Mortal Kombat 1 will make a substantial profit.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Barry Foster posted:

TW I had the strong impression he was raping them. I might be wrong, but I guess it is pretty ambiguous either way

they were digging a grave out in the yard while the kids were working in the garden

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

What's funny is that unlike most of their films, Mortal Kombat 1 will make a substantial profit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7WC5CJcy58

This loving slaps

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I guess my slap threshold is set too high, because I thought this was pretty good but not nearly as good as it could have been.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

This is the best scene in the movie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvaXE7ebnDg

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Man, I'm talkin about the game. Movie might as well not even have happened.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

god that movie was so bad but a couple scenes really work.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I enjoyed it but it’s pretty crap. The gore really makes it more enjoyable than if it didn’t have it. I feel this way about the 95 one.

Don’t like it!

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
I don't like anime. I don't watch anime. I made it through 10 minutes of live action cowboy bebop before turning it off and I only made it 10 minutes because I like John Cho.

But gently caress I really liked One Piece.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
I thought the new MK movie was pretty decent. And the past couple MK games have mostly kicked rear end.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Ammanas posted:

god that movie was so bad but a couple scenes really work.

I personally thought it was precisely what I wanted from a Mortal Kombat movie, which is to say, very silly, very stupid, very violent, but fun. I don't think it's possible to set up a Sub-Zero vs. Scorpion match better than they did, and it was great. I feel like if you weren't at least mildly hyped at the "get over here" moment, then maybe this franchise just isn't for you.

Granted, child me thought the original MK movie was the pinnacle of action cinema, so I might just have bad taste.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
original MK movie totally holds up imo. new one was mega disappointing

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlzzD-dHJ1g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZW9IfX6vNIU

Went to see it on opening night back in 1995. Was 12 years old and loved the poo poo out of it.

NetherRealm Studios even realizes that it owned/owns, because they brought back Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa as Shang Tsung in the videogames.

I don’t know who the hell played Shang Tsung in the most recent movie, but ultimately it doesn’t matter because he wasn’t played by Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa.

That said, Josh Lawson as Kano in the 2021 movie was the best part of that entire movie. I hope they bring him back as a revenant in the next one.

Tagawa also did a great job in that MK Legacy thing years ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3qcRwk3fpI

Gonz fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Sep 12, 2023

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Glottis posted:

I personally thought it was precisely what I wanted from a Mortal Kombat movie, which is to say, very silly, very stupid, very violent, but fun. I don't think it's possible to set up a Sub-Zero vs. Scorpion match better than they did, and it was great. I feel like if you weren't at least mildly hyped at the "get over here" moment, then maybe this franchise just isn't for you.

See this just makes me feel like I was on another planet because it wasn't particularly violent when compared to other R-rated action movies, the "Scorpion vs. Subzero setup" was a 10 minute prologue scene (that worked about as well as any typical well-known chambara movie, so pretty good), and it was "very silly" in extremely annoying ways, like inventing the idea of an "arcana", a weak narrative detour which had no basis in any of the games or extended media at all, and then wasting massive amounts of the movie dealing with it.

The movie has an absolutely stellar cast that it nearly completely wastes (yeah, Kano is an exception), is limply directed, invents a bizarre unneeded premise, looks cheap, and has the flabbiest middle section of any recent action movie I've seen. It's not a total disaster, but my assumption is that if you're lapping this up you just don't watch many action movies and have no idea what the genre is capable of. Either than or you're just wiggling around in your chair waiting to see the latest callback or catchphrase from the games; if you're that level of devoted MK superfan than quality really doesn't enter into it anymore.

If you had to keep one I would absolutely keep MK95 over MK21, and I don't think MK95 is a great movie but it's breezy, puts the narrative focus on the characters and tournament, plus it's got nice locations and sets.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Yeah I gave up in the middle of that middle section. Just a bunch of ppl wandering around a big cave like bldg? Lol it sucked.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Popes exorcist is Amityville house bs garbage all over again

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I'm late to How to Blow up a Pipeline but wow. weirdly... cathartic?

I was on the edge of my seat waiting for the other shoe to drop, half expecting a message at the end like "property destruction is violence actually and thats why these rude teens deserve to be punished" and half in awe that the movie was "allowed" to be made at all

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The recent MK movie is terrible. The 90s one is dumb as hell, but it's at least campy and fun. New one was just boring and amateurish. I feel like that movie got cut a ton of slack because it dropped on HBO max day 1 during the pandemic.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Imo it got slack bc it had gore. Gore goes a long way.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

It also gets cut a ton of slack because it's compared to the old MK 1 - 3 games, which were entertaining bare-bones 90s Ninja Nonsense released when most of these posters were teens or children, and not the new games, which are much more mature narratives. MK'21 doesn't even meet the narrative bar of the current crop of MK video games.

Like the idea that the current Mortal Kombat games are "stupid fun" is just not true. They spend a massive amount of time on building narrative reasons why, for instance, Kano '95 is working with modern day Kano, setting up power struggles on both Earth and Outworld, schemes and plots on multiple levels from multiple characters. There's real character growth and dramatic conflict and betrayals and all that stuff. It's played nearly completely straight, they're not winking at the camera (well Johnny Cage is, but that's why we love him) or goofing around.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I just recently got MK11 in a humble bundle and was playing through the story. It's possibly the dumbest story I have ever seen in a video game.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

My wife and I have been watching Heartstopper. It's pretty endearing.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
I got to the TC Tugger episode of John Wilson last night and jfc

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

CelticPredator posted:

Imo it got slack bc it had gore. Gore goes a long way.

I don't remember much gore or violence in the movie. Not saying it didn't have any, but it didn't make any impression on me. But not much was memorable in that movie. Kano was the best part. The fight in Kano's trailer was cool. Then people kept talking in a giant cave mansion, sometimes people would talk on Outworld, then a LOT of talking between everyone, and then the movie ended. Was pretty disappointing after how surprisingly awesome the 90s one was.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Papercut posted:

I got to the TC Tugger episode of John Wilson last night and jfc

My friend's in laws were visiting over Xmas last year and he accidently picked the tugger ep for his whole extended family to watch together.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

My friend's in laws were visiting over Xmas last year and he accidently picked the tugger ep for his whole extended family to watch together.

LMAO

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

John Wilson is about 94% rated PG, and 6% "How the gently caress did they aire this? Even on HBO!?"

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I watched MK '95 and '21 yesterday, they both have their charms, strong points, and weak points, but '95 has a much better Goro and Shang Tsung, and is better overall. Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa's Shang Tsung is iconic, even if it's mostly just him doing the Despicable Asian Villain that he made bank on in the 90's. If everything else were as good as the Goro animatronic, then we would be cooking with gas.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

B-Rock452 posted:

I don't like anime. I don't watch anime. I made it through 10 minutes of live action cowboy bebop before turning it off and I only made it 10 minutes because I like John Cho.

But gently caress I really liked One Piece.
I feel like I've seen versions of this post a few times and imo it actually speaks badly of one piece lol

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

How?

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
Dang when did Dredd get added to Netflix? There goes my afternoon

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

As a non anime liker I was wondering the same thing. It's actually getting me interested in one piece

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

One piece is like a better version of pirates of the Caribbean. Weird monsters, charismatic heroes, gonzo tone. It’s probably the best thing I’ve seen all year but i haven’t seen much lol

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Field Mousepad posted:

As a non anime liker I was wondering the same thing. It's actually getting me interested in one piece

I’ve never watched any anime besides DBZ when I was 12 years old, but I started One Piece during my recent COVID quarantine and it’s entertaining enough to keep watching.

It’s not a masterpiece by any means but it’s silly and fun.

RCarr fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Sep 14, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Reservation Dogs continues to hit it out of the park.