Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Your favorite isekai thought crime
slavery
war crimes
boobs
protags that correctly remember and know how to recreate complex technologies
View Results

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Nemo2342 posted:

My top three are Observation Record, With One Day Left, and The One Within the Villainess. I guess I've just grown tired of the series that drag on and on without any closure.

I'd go with Observation Record, Kill the Villainess, and the Beast tamed by the Villainess.

Bertia is just so radiant that I cannot help but enjoy every chapter she's in and it is balanced out by not just her husband but her many friends in the court. Sometimes I just want an unambiguous force of good and kindness in my stories and the fact that the main story finished but we get the victory lap sequel helps since there is closure at the end of the day. The last two are ongoing (Beast is still on Hiatus) but both deal heavily with the main character not fitting into things since they are not originally from the world they find themselves in. In the case of the former of the two, Eris is trying to find a way home while avoiding fate itself leading to a bad end and in doing the entire metaphysics of the setting are beginning to be laid bare. Beast has the MC really just trying to survive the consequences of the person whose body she now possesses. On top of that the whole reason she finds herself in this situation is because she clued in to the fact that Ilyana's motivations were much deeper than what the author presented her in the novel and we get to explore that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

I really respect one day left because you have a villainess that is, like, objectively a bad person. She doesn't really feel bad about any of the terrible things she does to the "heroine" and does everything she does in series for her own gain.

but like, in a way that's way more understandable? she doesn't gently caress over people for the sake of ruining them, but to save herself, she's not really thrilled with the idea of hurting other people, and even though it ends up working out for her, her plan was 100% "if I have to go down I'm going to take those fuckers with me" instead of like "I'm going to be happy and ruin everyone else just because I can!"

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
I like that even though she remembers her past life, she’s still the same person as she was, it makes sense. She’s been living that way for almost 20 years, that’s her identity now. Other isekais that completely overwrite that start young make sense since they remember as a baby. but here she already forged her personality. You can see when she spaz out a bit or reacts strongly when she’s in cold scheming mood and lifts that mask, the other servants aren’t like “she’s acting weird.” It’s oh, she’s acting like how she always has.

Also it’s a lot clearer here, but it’s actually more common in otome isekais.
its very common in villainess or otome isekais in the LN with more detail that it’s a merge of the old and new personality and the old ones traits are still present, just subdued. Like with this seasons “villainess to savior”

In male character isekais, it’s often that the old personality died outright and the Mc takes over.

In a this one, the heroine gets betrayed by the old personality, but I seen ones where with the MC, the old personality can take over when they’re failing and help out because in that story, their interests were aligned.

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

I was just about to post that, it's quickly become my favorite new series. the art is also gorgeous, and I like the concept; he's not some reincarnator with a broken skill, he's just a medical professional in a world where healing magic is brutally and rigorously restricted by the people who can use it.

also, I won't say no to yakuza dragons

edit: okay, actually starting to read this glut of new chapters, and I am reading the mom dragon in a scottish accent and it's great

I loving love the designs in this manga. I can already tell this dude rules

there's the little things, like he's clearly holding a mug for an elf, but he's a dwarf so he's got giant meat mitts, so he's holding it with two fingers
oh, they put some effort into making the dialects distinctively incomprehensible, i like it

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
The dwarf is literally just Glaswegian

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

Re: favorite villainess stories, I pretty much fall in line with the thread favorites, but I'd like to give an honorable mention to "Beware the Villainess." It's pretty funny and has some nice art. Also complete and doesn't drag on forever. Biggest negative is that it should have been gayer.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Besides their pay model, how are J-Novel Club’s translations?

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

RatHat posted:

Besides their pay model, how are J-Novel Club’s translations?

They vary by translator/series. Possibly by when they were translated. They definitely have some that are pretty rough. You can view chapter 1 of basically any volume for free if you want to look

Myok
Apr 8, 2005

Technology on the brain.
Pillbug
Reincarnated as a Dragon's Egg continues to have bad things happen to good people, but I will always appreciate a cute fantasy fishing chapter:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Started reading this one, its a world jumping Isekai pretty good so far: https://mangadex.org/title/61e5cfcb-aff4-4916-ac20-132f4542e451/sen-no-sukiru-o-motsu-otoko

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

Started reading this one, its a world jumping Isekai pretty good so far: https://mangadex.org/title/61e5cfcb-aff4-4916-ac20-132f4542e451/sen-no-sukiru-o-motsu-otoko

"Please continue in the role you have accidentally fallen into, or I will snuff you out like a candle :) "

get. better. deities.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Lord Awkward posted:

get. better. deities.

You know how it is, deities are so full of themselves.

That's why its ironic how many anime/manga are full of 'attack and dethrone/kill god' tropes.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

CommieGIR posted:

You know how it is, deities are so full of themselves.

That's why its ironic how many anime/manga are full of 'attack and dethrone/kill god' tropes.

It's about videogames, but there's a video by Moon Channel that talks about why you're always killing gods. Something about corrupt celestial bureaucracy needing to be "fixed"(ie, kill tje loving gods) as a metaphor.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
not me, i would be a good deity

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
A good deity:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

quote:

Comickey

What pisses me off is that their quality isn't even that good and yet they ask money for it. I read plenty of their stories where they had constant misspellings. That's excusable in a free translation, and even then people would still rightfully bitch about it, but when you have to pay for it then you just feel like a mark.

quote:

Release That Witch

Honestly this series is sort of my watermark for kingdom builders. It's in a weird spot for me where like I REALLY love the parts of it that are good but I also REALLY hate the parts of it that are bad.
Like the story has tons of lady characters who do cool poo poo! But it also sidelines the main love interest constantly.
I actually really like the war sequences and the weapon advantage is really well done. Honestly even the story's breakneck pace kind of works in its favor though it might not be for everyone.

The current poo poo with the apartment is dumb and I'm still annoyed the story forgot to defrost Agatha for like 200 loving chapters

this allusion meant posted:

a whole major concept of the story is that there’s no point in prioritizing combat magic over industrial uses because with firearms and a motivated manpower pool the ability to hack production functions is more broken on the battlefield than anything any fighter can accomplish. it was lazy writing to demonstrate it in such a direct way, but that is in fact the basic underlying gimmick of the story and what sets it apart from similar work (the vast majority of witches come in expecting to prove they can fight, and end up getting jobs in labs or factories)

Yeah that's genuinely a major strength of the story.

this allusion meant posted:

my main criticism of the work (aside from the terribly unsatisfying ending, which seems to have been intended all along) is that they (roland and the core leadership) don’t bother to straightforwardly explain their state legitimation doctrine, to a degree that is totally illogical in the light of the expensive and difficult public relations efforts they do make. like, there’s a defined government structure, and a clear origin story for how existing organizations with previously existing self-justifications folded themselves into roland’s government and changed their names, but they don’t really talk about it for some reason. the state propaganda is all about trivial stuff like how nice the city is. the low wall with the hole in it is still there, but they don’t bother to make it into a monument to the cooperation between the witches and the army, which could easily symbolize the simple explanation for why all the various witches they encounter should agree to work for this state (it has an undefeated pro-witch army with its origins in a period of mutual vulnerability and cooperation with witches). a previously independent witch organization became a pillar of the new state because they judged that it could meet the criteria of their previous ideological aims, of finding a holy mountain and establishing a safe haven for witches (serendipitously, the wording matches a core criterion for the older witches’ state remnants to recognize an independent state). the administrative state evolves out of the city government and is tasked with using the enhanced productivity of witch-assisted industry to raise the standard of living and encourage recruitment for manpower needs. simple, but compelling, assuming their interlocutors have concrete strategic interests and are less frivolous than roland in their adherence to stated justifications. instead they go about making a bunch of pointless bets and faked demonstrations and bribes and shows of force and fabricated stories whenever they need to bring new people on board. absolutely bizarre behavior. but in that respect, also somewhat in line with certain behaviors of the people’s government lol

I 3000% guarantee that you have thought more about this than the author ever did, though I completely agree with you.

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

Clarste posted:

A good deity:

:amen:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Clarste posted:

A good deity:

An alright deity:

x

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
:nws:there's a new Mynoghra:nws:

I was extremely confused for a good part of the chapter, thinking that something had been skipped but named as the newest chapter. but then it settled in that it's a montage of the upcoming fights, and it clicked. wasn't really expecting succubus army Titty Slap Attacks in this series, to be frank. it's pretty funny there's also the default isekai hero with obligatory potato-bag-and-collar-wearing slave and ~cheat skill~ as one of his future opponents. I like the Dice God girl though, hopefully she's becomes an ally because I love a character who tries to put on a cutesy facade but fails

also it is time to gently caress SOME poo poo UUUUUUUP

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

The Titty Slap Army makes sense when you think about what one of the most popular genres of games in Japan are.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
:wtc: I was very confused by the sudden introduction of the succubus nation. They are not in for a fun time when the MC encounters them that much is for sure. I'm still miffed that Isla had to bite it though.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
grand dwarf is going real dang hard now. i approve.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

The one exception to immediately executing a slaver : When keeping him alive means you can use him to find an entire organization of slavers to then utterly demolish.

And then execute him afterwards, assuming he survives betraying said organization.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I just started reading this Mynoghra series (at chapter 9). I like it so far - it feels like a better and more interesting version of that "reincarnated as a slime" series. Having the isekai be some RTS game instead of a typical Dragon Quest-like is a good twist, and I like that the protagonist is a weirdo.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Ytlaya posted:

I just started reading this Mynoghra series (at chapter 9). I like it so far - it feels like a better and more interesting version of that "reincarnated as a slime" series. Having the isekai be some RTS game instead of a typical Dragon Quest-like is a good twist, and I like that the protagonist is a weirdo.

It is at first. Later chapters, it turns out they are also either intersecting or part of an RPG game and the world building elements are just overlaid. They run into some baddies that the main character recognizes from an RPG that was not part of the RTS he and his companion originated from

But yeah it's been real good. Especially love the whole "Well, we're the evil race but actually we're not gonna actually be evil."

The twins backstory is super sad and they go through some hosed up poo poo

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
They're still the evil race and still do evil things but they're not mustache twirly about it

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Captain Invictus posted:

They're still the evil race and still do evil things but they're not mustache twirly about it

....I haven't seen anything overtly evil? If anything, the only 'evil' is the fact that all the peons are weird "evil" in appearance, but for the most part they don't do anything overtly evil. In fact the overall tone is that the "good" races are actually more evil.

Heck, when the elves ask what makes them evil, his definition of 'evil' doesn't even fit the idea of 'evil'.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Sep 14, 2023

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

They haven't really gotten to the how they're evil in the manga yet. The train goes off the rails pretty quick.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?

Guyver posted:

The train goes off the rails pretty quick.

Might as well be the thread title

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

....I haven't seen anything overtly evil? If anything, the only 'evil' is the fact that all the peons are weird "evil" in appearance, but for the most part they don't do anything overtly evil. In fact the overall tone is that the "good" races are actually more evil.

Heck, when the elves ask what makes them evil, his definition of 'evil' doesn't even fit the idea of 'evil'.

From the latest chapter (I'm caught up now) it seems like the protagonist is about to go scorched Earth on the rest of the world.

Also, it's been strongly implied before that the protagonist is a bit of a sociopath who is just sort of ethically "neutral" by default. When Atou killed those guys and was worried about his reaction, he was just like "why would I care?" It was semi-justifiable self-defense (though honestly avoidable - Atou could have just openly sided with the older knight, since the dumb younger knight was literally the only human in the group who actually wanted to fight), but it's weird that the protagonist wasn't even phased by the violent killing of all these people (even Atou was surprised by this).

Basically the protagonist cares about people close to him and wasn't aggressive towards others previously because he simply had no reason to be, but now he does (since he can resurrect Ilsa through destroying all the other nations).

It remains to be seen what destroying the other nations will entail (since he might just defeat their leadership), but I think he was supposed to appear kinda unhinged in the latest chapter (and on a basic ethical level "going to war to resurrect someone" isn't exactly acceptable).

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Big titty bug mom

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Ytlaya posted:

From the latest chapter (I'm caught up now) it seems like the protagonist is about to go scorched Earth on the rest of the world.

Also, it's been strongly implied before that the protagonist is a bit of a sociopath who is just sort of ethically "neutral" by default. When Atou killed those guys and was worried about his reaction, he was just like "why would I care?" It was semi-justifiable self-defense (though honestly avoidable - Atou could have just openly sided with the older knight, since the dumb younger knight was literally the only human in the group who actually wanted to fight), but it's weird that the protagonist wasn't even phased by the violent killing of all these people (even Atou was surprised by this).

Basically the protagonist cares about people close to him and wasn't aggressive towards others previously because he simply had no reason to be, but now he does (since he can resurrect Ilsa through destroying all the other nations).

It remains to be seen what destroying the other nations will entail (since he might just defeat their leadership), but I think he was supposed to appear kinda unhinged in the latest chapter (and on a basic ethical level "going to war to resurrect someone" isn't exactly acceptable).

I don't know how you get unhinged from "A bunch of guys who were invading and harassing a town, then go and kill one of his heroes who was just defending their home causing immense pain and suffering to the twins who viewed the hero as their mother surrogate". Sorry, especially the fire guy who invaded Atou's forest without warning and basically was on a slaughter quest.

That's not unhinged, that's normal anger over the barbarians being dicks and rampaging around invading people. And the knights were being dicks too, the older knight couldn't get the younger ones to lay off even after they were asked to leave the dark forest alone peacefully. The knights were on a pretty hosed up crusade, a lot like the Saintess who is going around burning entire populations to hunt witches. In fact as far as I can tell, what we've seen of the human nations is pretty brutal and unhinged compared to Atou. The Saintess is LITERALLY doing scorched Earth already.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Sep 14, 2023

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

I don't know how you get unhinged from "A bunch of guys who were invading and harassing a town, then go and kill one of his heroes who was just defending their home causing immense pain and suffering to the twins who viewed the hero as their mother surrogate". Sorry, especially the fire guy who invaded Atou's forest without warning and basically was on a slaughter quest.

That's not unhinged, that's normal anger over the barbarians being dicks and rampaging around invading people. And the knights were being dicks too, the older knight couldn't get the younger ones to lay off even after they were asked to leave the dark forest alone peacefully. The knights were on a pretty hosed up crusade, a lot like the Saintess who is going around burning entire populations to hunt witches. In fact as far as I can tell, what we've seen of the human nations is pretty brutal and unhinged compared to Atou. The Saintess is LITERALLY doing scorched Earth already.

He's not going to war in revenge for her killing, though. He's aiming to go to war with the entire world to complete the special victory condition (that will presumably allow the dead to be revived) and says that they will "kill all who will stand in our way" and that "only the victors will remain."

Also he has a creepy smile on his face throughout this whole section that I'm pretty sure is supposed to imply that he's become a bit unhinged. I mean look at this page - https://mangadex.org/chapter/5492471f-3e7e-4ad4-99a8-f4bf0579830f/33 or this one https://mangadex.org/chapter/5492471f-3e7e-4ad4-99a8-f4bf0579830f/38

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

What the hell was all the garbage on the ground at the end of that chapter? I couldnt tell what was supposed to be happening.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Grand Dwarf keeps getting better.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Synthbuttrange posted:

What the hell was all the garbage on the ground at the end of that chapter? I couldnt tell what was supposed to be happening.

Looks like a pile of weapons to me.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Ytlaya posted:

He's not going to war in revenge for her killing, though. He's aiming to go to war with the entire world to complete the special victory condition (that will presumably allow the dead to be revived) and says that they will "kill all who will stand in our way" and that "only the victors will remain."

Also he has a creepy smile on his face throughout this whole section that I'm pretty sure is supposed to imply that he's become a bit unhinged. I mean look at this page - https://mangadex.org/chapter/5492471f-3e7e-4ad4-99a8-f4bf0579830f/33 or this one https://mangadex.org/chapter/5492471f-3e7e-4ad4-99a8-f4bf0579830f/38

I still disagree - The creepy smile reads like anger, they basically murdered one of his generals that was a trusted companion to the twins, they just got attacked, he hadn't planned on moving this fast already but he just got hit by the demon lords generals and he's pissed. He's also socially inept and spent most of his days in a hospital bed prior to this world, so I don't think you can read that much into his smile, especially since from everyone else's perspective other than his immediate right hand lady, he ALWAYS has a creepy smile because he appears as a black shadow. Hell, he spends the first few chapters after the elves arrive basically trying to learn HOW to interact/appear friendly to other people.

And again: The rest of the world thusfar portrayed is dark as gently caress, most of the human races appear to be heavily corrupt, if not outright evil in their actions towards others. He remains largely the least evil overall considering.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Sep 14, 2023

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Hey guys! Re:Monster is getting an anime because of course it is. :shepface:

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
Hope they cut out all that rape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

My only surprise is that it didn't get one sooner.