Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
I saw DangerouslyFunny playing this on his channel and its a fun little time waster. There's some bits that are in another language but 99% of it is English. Ads are short and serve to get you more gold. I haven't been pushed for IAP at all.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.raongames.growcastle&hl=en_US&gl=US

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Holy christ, HOW do I get even close to the final payment in Luck be a Landlord?! :psyduck:

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
With luck :smuggo:

No but really as you play more you learn what you should take and not take. And try to build a collection of things that feed off each other. Sometimes you start that and fail more often than not but sometimes it works out.

In the beginning always go for things that can destroy themselves after x turns or things that are destroyed by very common symbols like candy, piñatas, presents. Etc.

Sometimes I'll say I wanna do ore so I grab ore before I see a miner but then I never see a miner and I lose. Or sometimes I get a geologist on floor 3 and never see enough ore to make him worth it

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Does anyone know what setting I need to tick for Hungry Cat Nonograms to save my puzzle progress again? It used to let me leave and then come back to my puzzle right where I was but anymore it just kills it

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Looks like the new wave of Monster Hunter Now beta invites is going out, I got mine today.

It's not bad but it's funny that it's being made by Niantic. I'm surprised they have time to work on this new game when they are so diligently neglecting Pokémon Go.

It's not bad, the fights with the monsters are basically an upgraded version of raids from PoGo which is neat. There's also some QOL stuff like your Palico marking monsters and collecting items as you walk without needing a second peripheral like with pogo. The amount of in-your-face gem begging is a little annoying though. I'll have to see how it shakes out.

There's no way it will be anywhere near as popular as pogo but hey its something new.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Sep 13, 2023

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

CuddleCryptid posted:

Looks like the new wave of Monster Hunter Now beta invites is going out, I got mine today.

It's not bad but it's funny that it's being made by Niantic. I'm surprised they have time to work on this new game when they are so diligently neglecting Pokémon Go.

It's not bad, the fights with the monsters are basically an upgraded version of raids from PoGo which is neat. There's also some QOL stuff like your Palico marking monsters and collecting items as you walk without needing a second peripheral like with pogo. The amount of in-your-face gem begging is a little annoying though. I'll have to see how it shakes out.

There's no way it will be anywhere near as popular as pogo but hey its something new.

The worst so far is the monetization. I've been playing for a month now, beaten the story (you go into NG+ mode where you fight tougher versions of the monsters) and haven't received a single premium currency beyond the 500 you start with. Paintballs cost 180 each, which is a little more than a dollar. Absurd. Hopefully this changes after the full release.

Other than that, I'm enjoying it. Fighting the monsters is fun, the build-crafting is fun (though it's a real pain to build up a new piece of equipment), and the weapons feel different from one another, which is good for a Monster Hunter game. Most importantly, it's getting me out of the house on daily morning walks, getting me out of bed and getting some sun, which is pretty much what I want the most out of it.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Can U.S. hunters get to play soon??

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Morter posted:

Can U.S. hunters get to play soon??

I am in the US, in the Midwest. Did you put in to beta test?

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
I pre-registered a month ago or so and it installed for me today in the US. S9 is starting to show it's age even on low settings but it still mostly works.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Oh it's letting me install at Google Play store. Guess I'm in :v:

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Morpheus posted:

The worst so far is the monetization. I've been playing for a month now, beaten the story (you go into NG+ mode where you fight tougher versions of the monsters) and haven't received a single premium currency beyond the 500 you start with. Paintballs cost 180 each, which is a little more than a dollar. Absurd. Hopefully this changes after the full release.

Other than that, I'm enjoying it. Fighting the monsters is fun, the build-crafting is fun (though it's a real pain to build up a new piece of equipment), and the weapons feel different from one another, which is good for a Monster Hunter game. Most importantly, it's getting me out of the house on daily morning walks, getting me out of bed and getting some sun, which is pretty much what I want the most out of it.

Yeah I truly do not understand the point of paintballs. At first I thought it was for passengers in cars or trains to tag monsters so that they can be fought later but the speed limit on MHG is way more strict than PoGo and nothing even attempts to spawn if you are in a vehicle. I guess it's to save monsters to fight later with friends?

It is fun but the usual Niantic server issues plague it. I'd write it off as a beta issue if PoGo wasn't the exact same way, and it's really not something I can just flip open and check for a few seconds. Not that it matters because at work there's nothing that really spawns around me.

It does seem to be a lot more demanding in terms of walking which is cool. You also don't have to clear out your items every 30 seconds like with PoGo which is nice. Feels more RPG like. I'm not sure how much I'll play it for the beta since it's all just going to reset anyways but it's a neat little thing. Ultimately the MH brand isn't as strong in the US, so I'm not sure how much play it'll get, but we'll see.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Sep 13, 2023

Rapner
May 7, 2013

CuddleCryptid posted:

The thing I am shocked by is how shallow all of Niantic's games are. There is SO much you could do with AR and map based games and it is all just find x, click it, and do paper toss or fruit ninja.

Like imagine if you had Crusader Kings where blocks were baronies and suburbs were counties, and things grew from there. Or some kind of zone of control game with factorio style belts like Mindustry. But no, they seem perma stuck in 1st generation iphone game mechanics.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
The more complicated the game a smaller number of people will try it/keep playing it. Especially on mobile. Especially on something that you play while out and about rather than sitting in your house

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Rapner posted:

The thing I am shocked by is how shallow all of Niantic's games are. There is SO much you could do with AR and map based games and it is all just find x, click it, and do paper toss or fruit ninja.

Like imagine if you had Crusader Kings where blocks were baronies and suburbs were counties, and things grew from there. Or some kind of zone of control game with factorio style belts like Mindustry. But no, they seem perma stuck in 1st generation iphone game mechanics.

In many ways you are describing Ingress and have you ever spoken to someone who actually played Ingress? And that was just drawing triangles.

Complexity leads to server load and confused players. PoGo was great because it was a very simple game capitalizing on a beloved brand. You could do something like you describe but it won't capture the "52 year old mom" or "12 year old boy" demographic that kept PoGo running. Hell, they put out a whole game based off Harry Potter with the same kind of idea and I'm pretty sure it's dead now.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I played ingress!

It was super cool and I dropped it after two weeks because the effort involved and time commitment was astronomical. It very much felt like a game that expected you to devote more effort than I was willing.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Renegret posted:

I played ingress!

It was super cool and I dropped it after two weeks because the effort involved and time commitment was astronomical. It very much felt like a game that expected you to devote more effort than I was willing.

Yeah same, I had heard of it off and on for year and when PoGo was coming out I decided to try it. Set up some triangles, farmed some energy, said "well this isn't something I'm dedicating my life to" and then punched out.

I mean the whole game is personified by that one group that flew to iceland or something like that just to set up a bigass triangle. Pretty impressive! Utterly insane.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

I played ingress for a while, and i got more use out of it as a "Find the local interesting thing", rather than a game.

Didnt help that I spent a large portion of it in a small country town where there was a group of 4 or 5 people on the other side who had taken over the town and anything I built would be destroyed in a day with no recourse.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
The loot drops on MHG are pretty frustrating. Having a hard time upgrading certain items because they require a crazy amount of crafting materials with rare chances to drop. I can't upgrade my Jagras sword and board because I need 2 epic scales and haven't found one in weeks.

I get there needs to be stuff to draw out gameplay but some of the material requirements are obscene.

CapitanGarlic
Feb 29, 2004

Much, much more.
Orna had/has more mechanics and RPG elements; territory ownership and constructing buildings and all that fun stuff. Hella grindy though, but decent fun if you have a big enough dedicated group in a geographically similar area.

That you can't meaningfully solo/small group progress and that (last I played it like a year and a half ago) it was kind of egregious about monetizing for power really keeps it niche though

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

m.hache posted:

The loot drops on MHG are pretty frustrating. Having a hard time upgrading certain items because they require a crazy amount of crafting materials with rare chances to drop.

So what you're saying is it's representing the monster hunter experience well

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I don't think we're in MHN beta anymore I think it's just the full release

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Len posted:

I don't think we're in MHN beta anymore I think it's just the full release

Oh, I guess you're right, looking at Google.

...which makes the very debug looking loading bars at launch kind of weird.

gwrtheyrn posted:

Yeah grinding the poo poo out of rare parts to get upgrades is basically MH to a T.

I'd say the onboarding for the game is pretty smooth, although I'm already itching to get something other than the sword and shield.

The worst part thus far is definitely the monetization, which if this is launch is absurd. Items are way too expensive, and even the gem packs don't give that much. A little under 2000 gems/~15 bucks for a 10 paintballs is absurd. I guess when you equate them to raid passes it isn't egregious but it's still crazy. And the whole "use this item to expand your access range" premium item after Niantic was just in hot water for reverting the ring size in PoGo is pretty cynical.

But at the same time you don't actually need to buy anything, so it's a wash.

Other than that, yeah, it's monster hunter. I think a lot of people who aren't familiar with the series are going to be confused by it, especially when it comes to breaking parts and such, but if you have played MH at all then it's an easy sell.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Sep 14, 2023

GB_Sign
Oct 9, 2012

Been playing MHG since the Beta launched in Canada and while I am not that far yet, I will echo the comments about some of the drops being maddeningly rare (been trying for 2 weeks to get a 4* drop from Kulu).

A couple tips for people starting

Make sure to get the dailies done for the rare material and the money.
Have at least 1 of each weapon type once you unlock them so you can do some of the dailies of (kill x monsters with <weapon type>)
Be a little selective of what weapons and armour you upgrade, by the time you get into grade 5 and higher you start getting zenny starved
Monsters respawn every 4 hours.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

In MHG how do you trigger the leaping attack? It does a ton of damage but it can't tell what triggers it.

Davedave24
Mar 11, 2004

Lacking in love
Attacking immediately after blocking an attack, I believe

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Tapping the screen, if I had to guess.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Davedave24 posted:

Attacking immediately after blocking an attack, I believe

This. Watch out though, you're not invincible while doing it and can get knocked on your rear end.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

gwrtheyrn posted:

At least you could target hunt the monsters in the real games. I'm killing 5* monsters and getting rank 1 items.

Edit: the hitbox on Diabolos is atrocious.

m.hache fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Sep 14, 2023

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

m.hache posted:

Edit: the hitbox on Diabolos is atrocious.

Plesiothipcheck.jpg

CapitanGarlic
Feb 29, 2004

Much, much more.

CuddleCryptid posted:

In MHG how do you trigger the leaping attack? It does a ton of damage but it can't tell what triggers it.

SnS? Press and hold to block, swipe down to do your leapback animation. You can charge the leaping attack one stage or fire it immediately, and then it's a three hit input.

e: to do it without a block, that is, much faster on block input

CapitanGarlic fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Sep 15, 2023

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Wouldn't be a monster hunter game if they explained a goddamn thing about your weapons abilities.

Jehuti
Nov 19, 2010
Im still trying to figure out if i can shortcut to the flip charge slash with great sword and my first aid meds are dwindling.

The only thing thats got me scratching my head is thay the train stations i take/go past are almost completely devoid of monsters+gathering points??? theyre packed in pokemon go but nothing in MH??

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

CapitanGarlic posted:

SnS? Press and hold to block, swipe down to do your leapback animation. You can charge the leaping attack one stage or fire it immediately, and then it's a three hit input.

e: to do it without a block, that is, much faster on block input

Thanks, that seems to be right. I didn't know that there was more directions than side to side that you can move in.

It's bias from being unlocked and leveled first but SnS has been my go to for tougher fights. Stat wise it seems to do better damage than other leveled items which seems a little silly.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

CuddleCryptid posted:

Thanks, that seems to be right. I didn't know that there was more directions than side to side that you can move in.

It's bias from being unlocked and leveled first but SnS has been my go to for tougher fights. Stat wise it seems to do better damage than other leveled items which seems a little silly.

When the longsword fills up the meter at the bottom (forget what it's called) it starts whipping rear end, but if you get hit you lose it.

I have no idea how to make the bowgun or bow viable, even fighting the little guys they just feel so weak.

CapitanGarlic
Feb 29, 2004

Much, much more.

Morpheus posted:

When the longsword fills up the meter at the bottom (forget what it's called) it starts whipping rear end, but if you get hit you lose it.

I have no idea how to make the bowgun or bow viable, even fighting the little guys they just feel so weak.

Not having the best luck with bow, and I keep having to hit reset aim (where lock-on would be on the screen for melee) because my reticle drifts up and to the left over the course of a fight? I whiffed a special once and that ~isn't a good feeling~

STILL BIG IMPORTANT DISCOVERY

All of the weapon mechanics and inputs are in a manual, it's just hidden all to poo poo! Hunter screen (portrait, bottom left), then settings, scroll down to FAQ in the Support section, then look for the "[TIPS] Weapon" article. Explains every weapon's moveset and how to activate them. Still need a drat training dummy but this is a start

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Some things I've found

Longsword: when your meter fills up to red you can hold to sheathe your blade and release into a dashing slice. If it was red and you connect you can follow up to do a jumping downward slash like the Ult but lack immunity. I'm finding it's better to just use the increased damage unless you topple a monster and can unload on them.

Hammer: if you move forward and hold you'll do a charging power up instead of being stationary. This allows for upward swings with decent knock out power.

Ranged weapons I don't know why you'd use em. Would work if there wasn't a timer running for a kill.

The Greatsword has a nice power up swing but the immobilization of it makes me feel like I'm better off with other weapons.

Using elements is a huge advantage on mobs and if they are multi vulnerable there are different effects/disorientation.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

In the mainline games the ranged weapons find their niche by being able to craft strong alternate ammo for them, and at least the heavy bowgun seems to support that given that the UI specifically says it is using normal ammo. But I don't know how you would A) craft more or B) actually use it.

i3lueHorneT
Jun 26, 2010
If I enjoy Into the Breach what else should I try?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

m.hache posted:

Some things I've found

Longsword: when your meter fills up to red you can hold to sheathe your blade and release into a dashing slice. If it was red and you connect you can follow up to do a jumping downward slash like the Ult but lack immunity. I'm finding it's better to just use the increased damage unless you topple a monster and can unload on them.

Hammer: if you move forward and hold you'll do a charging power up instead of being stationary. This allows for upward swings with decent knock out power.

Ranged weapons I don't know why you'd use em. Would work if there wasn't a timer running for a kill.

The Greatsword has a nice power up swing but the immobilization of it makes me feel like I'm better off with other weapons.

Using elements is a huge advantage on mobs and if they are multi vulnerable there are different effects/disorientation.

Hammer actually charges forward automatically if you power up while the monster is away from you.

The game is still in very early days but I really like the concept. Going on "hunts" while doing daily routines outside is quite addicting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandExt
Jun 1, 2023

i3lueHorneT posted:

If I enjoy Into the Breach what else should I try?

Lately I've been enjoying Twinfold which is like 2048 mixed with Into the Breach.

Xcom and Xcom 2 are on android if you want a much bigger game and Hoplite is fun for shorter games with a small focus like ItB.