Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

The Saucer Hovers posted:

that deck got me laid once

Must've been one hell of a draw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

someone tarot card read if i'm gonna get laid

Rickshaw
Apr 11, 2004

just a coconut going for a stroll

Every time Grusch makes a public appearance the internet lights up with some new jankity rear end alien hoax

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Must've been one hell of a draw

several in a row :wiggle:

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Too Many Birds posted:

u are

i didnt consult the deck tho, i read the tea leaves

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Barry Foster posted:

Mods pls change my name to Latino Hoax Elemental tia

That's a really good name tbh

inchworm posted:

especially if water/decay fucks it up like the montauk monster or something

i wonder if they ground up the mummies and mixed it with water they'd turn into the blob

It'd be deeply funny if there in were fact hundreds of legit alien mummies on earth, but every single one of them were inadvertently turned into Caput Mortuum for some uninspiring 17th century paintings that probably burned up or rotted away hundreds of years ago.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Too Many Birds posted:

Buddy,

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

really really want to do that liquified mummy medicine

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

Rickshaw posted:

what makes you think this thing was found in a cave in peru

That is what has been said for the last 6 years, and supposedly confirmed by sources cited in the presentation which includes at least 3 universities. If the location the mummies were from was falsified then someone probably wrote about that in the last 6 years, but perhaps my google fu is weak?

Even the pdf i shared which has been used as a source to debunk the mummies goes along with the dating and supposed location of discovery

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

The Saucer Hovers posted:

really really want to do that liquified mummy medicine

you're in luck!

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

This looks like the drainage trough from a well used george foreman grill, and just as delicious!

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

blatman posted:

u are

i didnt consult the deck tho, i read the tea leaves

finally

Rickshaw
Apr 11, 2004

Turpitude posted:

That is what has been said for the last 6 years, and supposedly confirmed by sources cited in the presentation which includes at least 3 universities. If the location the mummies were from was falsified then someone probably wrote about that in the last 6 years, but perhaps my google fu is weak?

Even the pdf i shared which has been used as a source to debunk the mummies goes along with the dating and supposed location of discovery

From the paper you cite:

quote:

Some of the finds were first presented to the Institute by “Luis Quispe”, aka Paul R.
These included mummified stuff of a small “body”, 25 cm long, and a “gigantic hand” consisting of three fingers with six phalanges and metallic implants.
More finds were later brought to the attention of the study group by “Mario”, the leader of the huaqueros (tomb raiders of Peru) at the place of discovery.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q28BH0ymGPI

Rickshaw
Apr 11, 2004

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ica_stones

quote:

The Ica stones are a collection of andesite stones from the Ica Province in Peru, known for their engraved motifs. Largely regarded to be modern hoaxes,[1][2][3] the stones in some cases utilize art styles from various pre-Columbian Peruvian civilizations and often depict anachronistic scenes or objects, including dinosaurs and advanced technology.

Stones with engraved artwork were first reported in Peru in the middle fifteenth century during the Spanish conquest. Subsequent archaeological finds have been next to non-existent, though huaqueros (grave robbers) at some point prior to the 1960s began selling stones similar to the Ica stones.

The most widely known collection of stones, numbering around 20,000 individual objects, belonged to the physician Javier Cabrera Darquea. Cabrera purchased the majority of his stones from the farmer Basilo Uschuya and believed them to represent evidence of an ancient interstellar civilization that once existed in Peru for hundreds of millions of years.[4] Uschuya later admitted to having forged the stones he sold to Cabrera[1]

Rickshaw
Apr 11, 2004

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ac%C3%A1mbaro_figures

quote:

According to Dennis Swift, a young-Earth creationist and major proponent of the figures' authenticity, Julsrud stumbled upon the figures while riding his horse and hired a local farmer to dig up the remaining figures, paying him for each figure he brought back. Eventually, the farmer and his assistants brought him over 32,000 figures which included representations of everything from the supposed dinosaurs to peoples from all over the world including Egyptians, Sumerians, and "bearded Caucasians".[1]

Archaeologist Charles C. Di Peso was working for the Amerind Foundation, an anthropological organization dedicated to preserving Native American culture. Di Peso examined the figures and determined that they were not authentic, and had instead been produced by local modern-day farmers.[4][5]

... their surfaces displayed no signs of age; no dirt was packed into their crevices; and though some figurines were broken, no pieces were missing and no broken surfaces were worn. Furthermore, the excavation’s stratigraphy clearly showed that the artifacts were placed in a recently dug hole filled with a mixture of the surrounding archaeological layers. DiPeso also learned that a local family had been making and selling these figurines to Julsrud for a peso apiece since 1944, presumably inspired by films shown at Acámbaro’s cinema, locally available comic books and newspapers, and accessible day trips to Mexico City’s Museo Nacional.[6]

Rickshaw
Apr 11, 2004

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2011/mar/21/looters-latin-america-archaeological-heritage

quote:

Gangs of looters, known as huaqueros, are ransacking Peru's heritage to illegally sell artefacts to collectors and tourists.

"They come at night to explore the ruins and dig the holes," said Cuba Cruz de Metro, 58, a shopkeeper in the farming village of Galindo. "They don't know the history, they're just looking for bodies and for tombs. They're just looking for things to sell."

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

:captainpop:

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Share your alien mummies and we wouldn't have to steal them

Rickshaw
Apr 11, 2004

https://history.northwestern.edu/documents/people/faculty/gillingham/gillingham-strange-business.pdf

quote:

The Strange Business of Memory:
Relic Forgery in Latin America
Paul Gillingham

This essay surveys assorted cases of relic forgery from colonial and modern Latin America, to argue that such forgeries are a) particularly widespread in
the region; b) part of a quite formalized sector of the region’s informal economies; and c) commodities produced by a wide range of elite and non-elite
actors.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Rickshaw
Apr 11, 2004

A particularly amateurish example:

http://thegreaterpicture.com/UFO-art.php

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Do they lay the eggs from their rear end or what, I need to understand the logistics of this

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Rickshaw
Apr 11, 2004

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

sombering

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

Rickshaw posted:

From the paper you cite:

When dealing with mummies, tomb raiding is absolutely typical see: Egypt

the part you quoted is frustratingly vague like a lot of info associated with this. were they initially brought a few mummified pieces and then a group of investigators were brought to the cave to collect the other bodies? do they have 16 bodies, or 20, or 6? how many bodies have metal implants and how many have osmium in them?

the tissues should be easy to analyse, there should be seams associated with wrapping skin around the llama skull, for example. there should be clear indications visible with CT imagery of how the fake hands were made; how tendons and muscle were attached, where cuts were made, blah blah.

it shouldn't be difficult to disprove this poo poo but even the paper I cite does a poor job, and I am having a hard time finding anything better. the flipped-llama-or-alpaca-skull theory is a really good one so why is it written so poorly and why are they not analyzing the areas of the skull that they posit would have been most clearly hosed with in creating this forgery? just super frustrating all around

I just want information transparency on all of this, and there should be a lot of sources to get in touch with including the aforementioned universities and biotech firms that the scammers cite in their 'proof' video

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Turpitude posted:

it shouldn't be difficult to disprove this poo poo but even the paper I cite does a poor job, and I am having a hard time finding anything better. the flipped-llama-or-alpaca-skull theory is a really good one so why is it written so poorly and why are they not analyzing the areas of the skull that they posit would have been most clearly hosed with in creating this forgery? just super frustrating all around

first academia, huh?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

The fact that they aren't sharing that information is one of the reasons it's so difficult to attempt to disprove.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

The academics suck because it's real and they're desperately clinging to the known world

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Lakehead University has 4.5 stars on Facebook

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
so here is an article referencing Lakehill university and saying the DNA was debunked in 2017, and it says the report is available online but it DOESNT FUCKIN LINK IT! https://www.express.co.uk/news/weird/859016/Nazca-tomb-aliens-mummified-aliens-Peru-UFO-three-fingered

But it also says the bodies were carbon dated to the alleged time of 245-410AD! So if these are flesh golems made by the ancients by flipping the skull of a baby llama, they must have hacked the skull down with stone tools before wrapping the skin around it, so let's see the marks. it's not like they were worried we were going to xray them so they did an extra careful job

"Commenting on the DNA results, British UFO investigator Nigel Watson said: "It shows it has a male human skull and hands. Another fake bites the dust."" But the DNA wasnt (according to this article) from the skull it was from the brain. If it is a human skull then what was done to it to make it look like this?

and then they go along to quote this Konstantin Korotkov dude who is some complete fraud

just all around a pain in the rear end

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

It's real as poo poo and Nolan is just pissy because he was supposed to be the guy to find the alien

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
there were 309 new posts today, were any of them good

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Petey posted:

there are 309 new posts today, were any of them good

Depends
Do you like alien mummies?

Rickshaw
Apr 11, 2004

Petey posted:

there were 309 new posts today, were any of them good