Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Hadlock posted:

I heard about a service like this in Europe or maybe SE Asia sometime in the last year

Basically they pick up your luggage at your house and then deliver it to your (international) destination hotel, so all you travel with is a lightweight carry on with your laptop, wallet and passport

What is this service called, and do they service the bay area

https://firstluggage.com I've heard a few newspaper mention this, but about EEA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Huh interesting. $210 from US to London for a heavy checked bag (25kg) is... not totally unreasonable? Especially if you can expense it. I think we pay $60-80 for checking luggage at the ticket counter last minute and I still have to haul it to/from the airport

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
It's over $500 for US to France/Germany.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Finally a silver lining for brexit I guess

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
That company is UK homed, so maybe using one that is headquartered in the EU might provide better prices for the mainland.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
Some airlines, like United, also have bag delivery services: https://www.united.com/en/us/fly/baggage/deliver-your-bags.html

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Beef Of Ages posted:

Some airlines, like United, also have bag delivery services: https://www.united.com/en/us/fly/baggage/deliver-your-bags.html

What are you talking about, Delta delivers my bags for free (when they don't make it on my connection). I actually like it when that happens on my way home so I can skip baggage claim.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

United offers that, great, and cheap too. I feel like they should offer this to parents with strollers. $40 bucks so I don't have to deal with giant gently caress off roller luggage in addition to my crying toddler and hangry wife? Sign me up

Does Delta offer that?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I personally wouldn’t pay £100+ per piece to have luggage get there in 2-3 days.

United just contracts out to BagsVIP which is available at a bunch of airports. I think airline is irrelevant. And if they gently caress it up, I don’t see recourse with the airline.

Within Japan, the luggage service is absolutely worth it.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Aug 31, 2023

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
How reliable is BagsVIP?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I’ve used them in Denver and it was fine. I didn’t use baggage delivery but I used their remote bag check in option outside of the airport when dropping a ton of stuff off. Was fine.

I see nothing but potential problems with them delivering to a hotel for a guest that potentially hasn’t checked in, poorly trained desk staff, etc. And when an airline loses a bag, at least you aren’t leaving the airport without knowing and (hopefully) talking to someone. These guys, no idea.

Even with kids or large groups make sure the adults are fed, caffeinated, whatever and just deal with it yourself as millions of folks with kids do daily imo. That’s what I would do and I love paying for an extra service / extra vehicle / set of hands in my day job

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
They don't cover NYC. It would be nice to not take a bunch of bags on the train.

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

Points Guy has a jump on the Delta SkyMiles changes coming https://thepointsguy.com/news/delta-skymiles-changes/

Seems to be basically following what American is doing with credit card spend for MQDs, but with much higher spend thresholds. I think bare minimum I should be able to keep qualifying at platinum, this looks like I might actually have a chance at Diamond again with spend.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

ScooterMcTiny posted:

Points Guy has a jump on the Delta SkyMiles changes coming https://thepointsguy.com/news/delta-skymiles-changes/

Seems to be basically following what American is doing with credit card spend for MQDs, but with much higher spend thresholds. I think bare minimum I should be able to keep qualifying at platinum, this looks like I might actually have a chance at Diamond again with spend.

Congrats on 35k in spend. No way I'm hitting anything above Silver in this program which makes it not worth it. Also getting rid of the DL Amex I used for the 25k spend MQD waiver and probably Amex plat as well since access to the SkyClub was a big part of the value prop there. If they wanted less elites, this will do it. And the lounges that seat 250 people will have 40 people in them looking around at each other. Such is life.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I’m not convinced I’d hit 35k under the new system. Nice.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Is there a way to calculate how many loyalty points I'll be earning on future flights? I've got a couple of flights on AA, BA, and Qatar this year and I'm curious to see if I hit Platinum. Side note, I got hit with this Instant Status Pass offer and I'm assuming it isn't worth it?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I think this will do it

https://lpcalculator.com/#/calculator

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

keevo posted:

Instant Status Pass offer and I'm assuming it isn't worth it?

How close are you to getting it and how much was the offer? Sometimes they’ll drop the price of the offer closer to the end of the qual period. If you’re gonna buy status NOW to help you qual for next year… ehhhh I’d really double check if you’d make it.

If it’s worth it in general… It depends on how much you’re flying next year and what routes. The difference between gold and plat isn’t crazy for upgrades, especially if you’re out of a big hub like me (ORD). It has saved me many times on standby/irrops coming home though.

Exec plat is great but I don’t actually want to fly enough to earn it lol

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Oh god drat it, I accidentally activated it trying to find more details. It wasn't saying I had to pay anything right now. It's just saying if I earn enough loyalty points over the next 4 months then I can keep Platinum. Looks like I need 25,000 points? If I did that calculator right, looks like I'll keep Platinum for the next 4 months but I doubt it after that. It's all good though, I'm normally on United.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Beef Of Ages posted:

Congrats on 35k in spend. No way I'm hitting anything above Silver in this program which makes it not worth it. Also getting rid of the DL Amex I used for the 25k spend MQD waiver and probably Amex plat as well since access to the SkyClub was a big part of the value prop there. If they wanted less elites, this will do it. And the lounges that seat 250 people will have 40 people in them looking around at each other. Such is life.

They're simplifying skymiles, sure. The new choice benefits are probably going to get worse too. A few of us at work came to the conclusion that we're not hitting diamond for 2025 or ever again.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

There was a claim by DL that they would make choice benefits better but they haven't actually announced anything.

This year will be a good marker for me. I think I'll be close. Next year will probably be difficult.

edit: I (and a bunch of other DMs) will definitely make it in the banked MQM burn-down year. So 2025 should be fine. 2026 not so much unless I go back to a lot of paid J

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Sep 14, 2023

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

edit: I (and a bunch of other DMs) will definitely make it in the banked MQM burn-down year. So 2025 should be fine. 2026 not so much unless I go back to a lot of paid J

Several of my friends who are multi-year DMs have described a similar situation.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
I do think that Delta has over-rotated here based on the last six months of data. I can't see this trend holding forever so I'm hoping some of this gets walked back in the next year; we'll see.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.
I feel like I’m on a weird bubble of spend where getting the reserve card and maintaining travel keeps me right at PM. I just don’t know that I care to unless they start handing out 2 GUCs at PM (lol). I’m usually buying international PE these days and I’d rather just buy the cheapest option and maybe even fly a carrier with paid check-in upgrades. I guess if this purge makes platinum start seeing domestic upgrades I’d be slightly motivated but I doubt it.

I have a lot of PM/DM friends who are canceling their Amex today because they are barely gold in 2025.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I just never witnessed the lounge crowding myself… sure, they were full, but never a wait. Mostly SEA.

Seems like a crazy over-correction IMO…

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

MSP was consistently awful.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
ATL almost always has lines outside on Mondays, some terminals always have a line. MKE was always busy Monday mornings but almost empty later in the week, only saw lines a few times at DTW

I have almost 300k mqms, just can't seem to hit that card spending.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Are there spousal benefits for points stuff

I think my wife is gonna crack 40k miles this month

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I use one of my choice benefits to give my wife Gold for putting up with this poo poo

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

I STOLE A PIE FROM ESTELLE GETTY
There goes my rollover MQMs. Thanks a lot, Delta.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

I didn't see the new airfare cost to MQD percentages until I went digging for them and they're pretty dismal too. I book my work travel through Concur and because of the partnership between my company and Delta, I'm usually in U or T fares.

https://www.delta.com/us/en/skymiles/how-to-earn-miles/exception-fares

I'm gonna appreciate my last year of Platinum next year expecting that I won't get above Silver again, and work travel is going to suck, especially with the Amex Platinum change. I'm just glad my home airport has a Centurion Lounge.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

That page explicitly says it’s valid through 12/31/23 so i would absolutely not count on it being accurate for the new program.

Edit: did not scroll far enough.

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

Wait is this saying that basically all non-premium fares won’t even earn 100% of dollars spent as MQDs? Jesus that’s brutal let me go find the flyer talk thread to see how people are revolting about this one.

Edit: ohhh just for those fare classes booked through travel portals not directly with delta I get it now

ScooterMcTiny fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Sep 15, 2023

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.
I don't even know that it counts for Concur travel, I've never had my megacorps Concur booked travel be credited as an exception fare. Although this might be preferable for some international routes (LAX-SYD 25% of almost 15K for PE).

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Arzakon posted:

I don't even know that it counts for Concur travel, I've never had my megacorps Concur booked travel be credited as an exception fare. Although this might be preferable for some international routes (LAX-SYD 25% of almost 15K for PE).

Usually (but not always) companies are buying regular fares at a contractual discount and that's the inventory that shows up in Concur; the tour packages and other hidden inventory that doesn't directly correspond to their retail fare bucketing is where the exceptions occur. It's unlikely that a business traveler would run into them.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

I STOLE A PIE FROM ESTELLE GETTY
Yeah. Bulk tickets and industry tickets are marked BT or IT for pricing and it often makes changes extremely difficult. Corporate travelers need flexibility/changes so it's very rare that these will ever be encountered.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

I’ve never really investigated hotel loyalty programs, I always focused on flight ones. Are there any hotel loyalty programs particularly worth it? In my new role I expect to spend about 9/12 months every year on the road so it’s worthwhile for me more than it was before.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Ever since the SPG-Marriott merger and COVID hotel loyalty programs aren't what they used to be at all. If you are traveling more than a few weeks a year it's still worth it to pick one large franchise like Hilton, Marriott or Hyatt.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
Hyatt is the only program left with any real value for the top tier (Globalist). They don't have nearly as many properties as Marriott or Hilton, but if you're going to places where there is a Hyatt, I would focus there first and then use another as a backup.

I am lifetime platinum with Marriott and since the merger the value is almost nil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
I split my stays between ihg and Marriott brands, they're everywhere. Usually hit 75 nights with both and upgrades are rare.