Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

The Fool posted:

get like 2-3 bottles of four roses small batch

mid tier, drinkable, widely available

Actionable results, I like it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Agrikk posted:

Counterpoint:

Stop drinking and do something relaxing, nurturing and fun instead.

Remember that time you did that thing that gave you that gently caress-yeah feeling of elation and satisfaction?

Remember that time you drank and you woke up feeling that feeling of elation and satisfaction?

Just sayin’

* prepares self to skip the next few pages of boozeChat

Factorio and edibles it is, at least for tonight

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
With the caveat that I drink, like, twice a year, I am partial to Redbreast 12, an Irish whiskey.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I looked into Canada last weekend myself!

I’ve got a lot of projects I’ve got to get finished before the end of the year when I go on my 3 months paternity leave! First one up, enforcing MFA for IAM users. I’ve only got like 20 left in my org now.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I’ve got a lot of projects I’ve got to get finished before the end of the year when I go on my 3 months paternity leave! First one up, enforcing MFA for IAM users. I’ve only got like 20 left in my org now.

That's a better option than booze or weed. Let's all visit clam down and see nature. he's got a futon I'm sure.

e: clammy are you gonna airbnb your futon or that pullout couch you have?

jaegerx fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Sep 14, 2023

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Just one of the many many dolphins I saw this afternoon.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

CLAM DOWN posted:

also I caught some kind of weird sinus infection superbug while I was in America, so thanks for that. It's spread to my ears and lymph nodes so now I have to take an antibiotic that makes me unable to go out in the sun

AND I STILL FEEL GUILTY FOR TAKING SICK DAYS OFF WORK my brain is broken entirely by capitalism

i lose my sick days at the end of the year and they don't do cashouts anymore. Its part of my compensation and I will be getting too sick to work the exact amount of days given by pure coincidence.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

We go through a good bit of good whiskey and scotch. Definitely my drink of choice. My wife has started drinking gin martini's and I think it might be time for a divorce. If someone switches from vodka to gin after all these years... do you really even know them???

Recommendations:
Cardhu, Monkey Shoulder are both great affordable intros into scotch. Balvadine 12 is a nice step up, as is Oban 14.

Four Roses is a great recommendation, they have different batch specialties (normal blend, small batch, single barrel). Angel's Envy is worth a try. Tin Cup and Stranahan's blue/yellow. Stranahan's has a Diamond Peak that is real good, probably my favorite thing to drink. Their Sherry Cask is a bit sweet, but a wonderful flavor that isn't super punchy.

But yeah, don't sell yourself short. That's a good price for a bottle. If you don't drink often it's certainly easier to justify. And neat is wonderful. You can also try an ice cube or two. Be careful not to use stale ice cubes, it's definitely a thing. Big ice cube is the way to go, ice wise. Can also try a small drop or two of cold water, again decent water, to open up higher ABV whiskeys.

Vodka, don't keep it in the freezer or even fridge. Run it through ice, again not stale ice. Vermouth, do keep it in the fridge.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Nice! Really enjoying Montana. The West side has cool mountains, and is a lot less arid than I am used to. Plus it's nice to feel superhuman at a measly 3k elevation.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Seriously no one has said Lagavulin 16 yet?

Just get Lagavulin 16 some of these other recommendations are also good but you don't need anything more than Lagavulin 16.

(Oban 14 also).

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

islay scotches are hot garbage

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Lagavulin and Laphroaig are both so petey. I'd hesitate to recommend it to anyone who is a newbie.

Glenlivet isn't a bad starter. Macallan 12 Sherry Oak will always have a place in my heart, but at least near me it has been too expensive for too long.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

balvenie doublewood 12

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

That's right. Oh God apparently I typoed it. Is that really how it's spelled?!?

We keep an expensive bottle of scotch on hand to celebrate big wins. If we finish it, whoever gets the big win next has to buy.

We've been fortunate enough that there's been 2-3 bottles over the years. Current bottle is Highland Park 21. Previous to that was Balvenie 23.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
Just get a bottle of Angel's Envy, whichever variety you prefer.

To continue more derails, I hired my best friend to be my main systems engineer backfilling my old position and it's working out super well. Helps that I trust the person implicitly on a personal level, trust their technical chops, and we communicate really well.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
I sometimes treat myself to a bottle of Woodford but I always go back to my true love, Evan Williams. With those fancy cold rocks so it doesn't get watered down.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Internet Explorer posted:

We go through a good bit of good whiskey and scotch. Definitely my drink of choice. My wife has started drinking gin martini's and I think it might be time for a divorce. If someone switches from vodka to gin after all these years... do you really even know them???

Maybe she is looking for something with a little more edge?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I like Jay-Z’s cognac brand. It’s got an edgy as gently caress bottle design and it’s delightfully drinkable.

Other poisons include girly cocktails, cbd-dominant marijuana, and watered down red wine

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

EoRaptor posted:

Maybe she is looking for something with a little more edge?

Chromium-based browsers! :argh:

The Iron Rose posted:

and watered down red wine

:gonk:

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

war stories and substance abuse, sounds like the VFW for sure

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

quote:

Let me tell you something, I served my country. I've played high school football, four touchdowns in a single game. Yet I'm not exempt from state and federal taxes. Is this any way America should treat us heroes?

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

vanity slug posted:

war stories and substance abuse, sounds like the VFW for sure

It really is an evergreen title

alcohol chat: I stopped drinking outside of rare events, but I hate hard liquor. Stouts and red wine for me.

Sepist fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Sep 14, 2023

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

3 months paternity leave?? Good for you, I hope you and your family enjoy the poo poo out of it. Really glad to see that changing.

My boss at the time looked at me like I was insane when I asked about paternity leave in 2017. It was actually kinda sad, like he never realized that a dad could give a poo poo about their kid or something.

I never had it for any of my kids —and desperately wish I had, using all PTO for just a few weeks isn’t nearly enough— but sincerely hope that the trend continues to get better. Happy for you, friend :)

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

The Fool posted:

islay scotches are hot garbage

Firm agree, good scotch doesn’t taste like lung cancer

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Can't imagine drinking when there's weed to be had.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Love when somebody throws a tantrum because the 12 year old computer with their custom database died and we have sent them multiple e-mails over the past 2 years telling them to move the data.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
I love Laphroaig, but as IE stated I'm not certain it's a good jumping point if you don't know what it is. Doubling down on the Oban 14 and Four Roses; those are much nicer starters.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I get enough smoke in the air that I breathe, I don't need to drink a wildfire.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

FISHMANPET posted:

On a train trip from NYC to Montreal, he guy in front of me got pulled off the train by Canadian border security and never got back on. There were also a couple of people with Lithuanian passports that worked at the Lithuanian consulate/embassy/whatever they have in NYC, and the border guards made very sure that they weren't actually coming into Canada to work.

That’s interesting. Famously, a decent number of people in cities like NYC, that work at consulates with diplomatic passports, may be doing spy stuff. Unless you are a super secret spy with a fake identity, seems like the standard spies have “consulate” day jobs. That gives them clean entry access. So Canada government may have wanted to check into them a little.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Sep 14, 2023

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Whistles and looks around as the only non-mormon, non-recovering-alcoholic IT worker in history to not drink alcohol

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Listen, I can stop whenever I want :guinness:

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Listen, I can stop whenever I want :guinness:

I always said that about smoking. Nobody believed me until I did one day. Haven’t smoked since I stopped cold turkey 8 years ago.

I probably could do that with alcohol but I enjoy a nice beer on the weekends. It’d also mean I’d stop brewing them which is way too much fun.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Curious about anyone else interviewing right now, how has your experience been lately?

Plus side I've noticed an uptick of recruiter pings lately, though overall, employers are clearly taking advantage of the current market cuz of lower salaries while also asking for more requirements (basically entry level salary at senior level experience) and pushing for hybrid/office

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

air- posted:

Curious about anyone else interviewing right now, how has your experience been lately?

Plus side I've noticed an uptick of recruiter pings lately, though overall, employers are clearly taking advantage of the current market cuz of lower salaries while also asking for more requirements (basically entry level salary at senior level experience) and pushing for hybrid/office

I’m in EU and looking for contracting roles so ymmv. I’ve seen significantly less roles this month compared to earlier this year as well as less messages from recruiters.

I did manage to land another role at a rate both the recruiter and client balked at initally. Besides the remarks I got no pushback, so I assume it’s still an employees market.

When looking for new roles I do a bit of vetting before hand so I don’t find out I’m interviewing for a position that’s nowhere near my bottom rate.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

tokin opposition posted:

Idk, like $50-$100?

As for those concerned about a drinking problem I had the last bottle of 80 proof whisky for three moves or five years, not sure which.

Weller black and gold label if you can find it for 45 bux, Eagle Rare not over 40 dollars for a 750 ml bottle, Flor de Caña 7yr slo aged rum is good for around 25, Wheatley Vodka from the same people at the Buffalo Trace distillery I hate Vodka but this one is really smooth and inexpensive, Chinaco Silver Tequila is good to sip on, Rejon tequila is good to mix and a bit stronger in proof without sacrificing a decent pallet. If you want more flavor in your Tequila and smoother go for an Añejo never a Reposado.

Scotch, depends on single malt or blended.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Career chat:

Have any of you Goons returned to a previous position after leaving for something else? I recently had a former manager, at a prior company, reach out about an opening on my old team. They are a good manager, and it was a good team, but it would be hard to go "backwards" unless times were dire (i.e. unemployed).

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

If the money and title talks you should consider it I guess? was the split amicable?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

No, I can't tell you how to set up an SSL context in Java to connect to the application server because it's signed with your enterprise keys and I don't know how your PKI is set up (nor is it within my area of expertise to find out so please don't ask me to). What I can tell you is that your question of "how do I install a cert on my laptop?" probably means you are doing it wrong though.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
My old boss left for a new company recently, I had left 3 months prior. Place was a shitshow with awful clients and terrible execs.

My old boss was only paid slightly more than I was, but was responsible for multiple sites across the continent. My new job doubled my salary.

They called offering me my old bosses job.

Lol, Lmao.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

air- posted:

It’s been awful but that’s mostly because I got out of IT when I moved and trying to go back in has proved difficult. It would probably be easier if I was willing to take a big paycut from my current position and if I had more than two years experience in something other than help desk.

I got promoted at my current position after only a year which is great and all but it’s certainly not helping me leave

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I'm mostly afraid of having to take a lower paying job while my cost of living keeps going up. (gonna move into a new house next year, probably get a cat, student loan repayments, greedflation generally)

I found a law firm nonprofit* that seems to have an ad for basically my job but for slightly more money, sent my resume off for a review for good measure and working on the cover letter instead of finishing up my intune project's testing phrase

* I hope I'm not putting my nose in the beehive again