Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Taiwanese Zelenskyy time

https://twitter.com/xinwu10250/status/1702128786463150330

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

continuing the trend of "people being good at portraying a fictional character" getting elected

fizzy
Dec 2, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

corona familiar posted:

continuing the trend of "people being good at portraying a fictional character" getting elected

Good news for corona familiar - The trend of "people being good at portraying a fictional character" getting elected is a long and storied tradition. For example, Barack Obama got elected as the President of the United States of America after portraying the character of "someone who is not an utter piece of garbage".

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/hellowo63335565/status/1701034169097474345

quote:

Memory prices have dropped significantly this year, in YouTube, many tech influencers in the US explain it as a "shift in supply and demand before and after the pandemic."
However, today I bring you a different story, and its name is YMTC (Yangtze Memory Technologies Co., Ltd.).

Story might be a bit lengthy, and I apologize for y'all endure this long thread. Most of my socializing happens on Chinese apps, and I was originally just planning to casually browse on Twitter,don't know I'd end up sharing some tales about Chinese technology with all of you.😅

YMTC is an emerging company that was established in 2016. However, their astonishing technological progress has caught up rapidly.
By the end of 2017, YMTC developed 32-layer NAND flash memory, nearly five years later than Samsung at that time.

In 2019, they began production of 64-layer TLC NAND flash memory.
By 2020, they reached 128 layers, achieving Samsung, SK Hynix, and Micron in terms of technology.

In 2022, they achieved 232 layers, and Apple chose YMTC as a supplier. Have to say the progress made by YMTC has been truely remarkable.

However, during this time, U.S. politicians started pressuring Apple, ultimately forcing them to abandon YMTC as a supplier in October of last year. In December, TechInsight, the same company that dismantled Huawei's CPUs, confirmed the 232-layer 3D storage chips from YMTC.

2 weeks later, the U.S. Department of Commerce added YMTC to the Entity List, which meant they could no longer obtain etching machines from Lam Research Corporation, and all repair personnel were withdrawn by the U.S.

What's interesting is that one week later, Samsung announced a 10% price increase for their entire line of technological products.
In the following months of this year, there wasn't much information about YMTC on the Chinese internet.

But, it is certain that they went through a difficult period. They were forced to lay off 10% of their employees and significantly reduce their orders. But something unusual happened in May. The memory market in China suddenly experienced a significant price drop, both for Samsung and SK Hynix.

Like, Samsung's 2TB memory was priced at 2399RMB(331USD) in June 2022, but a year later, it was only 979 RMB(135USD).
Because YMTC's chips started entering the market, I guess they must have made some technological breakthroughs at that time.

Afterward, people could clearly feel the drop in the memory market. For example, in the following months, a 2TB memory from Acer was priced at only 599 RMB (82 USD). Some even went as low as 468 RMB (64 USD), and they still had decent quality.

Due to the sanctions,YMTC was unable to sell their products overseas. When the prices of memory in China decreased, which in turn forced companies like Samsung and other foreign enterprises to lower their prices in China as well. Then it resulted in price drops on a global scale.

I believe it was this Chinese company that caused a seismic shift in the industry because there is a clear correlation between the technological advancements of YMTC and the decrease in SSD prices. However, I've scoured YouTube, and no one seems to have the right answer.

They all seem to be avoiding mentioning China. And I know, it's intentional.I'm not quite sure about the events that YMTC went through during this period, but just yesterday, they announced the mass production of the world's first 300+ layer NAND flash memory chip.

Other global manufacturers are only expected to achieve mass production by 2024 at the earliest. It seems like YMTC has managed to overcome most of the challenges and, despite the restrictions imposed by the US, they have achieved a remarkable feat of becoming the world leader.

This article has a simple message - as you use cheaper SSDs, don't forget to recognize this excellent company.
Their future achievements are definitely something to look forward to.

So you need to pay attention to YMTC, they will help you to achieve it eventually.

tl;dr China started mass producing SSDs which is why they're so cheap now.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
wow i never knew china and saudi arabias economies grew so much tbh i find it hard to believe that russia and saudi outpaced korea

https://twitter.com/spectatorindex/status/1701899712306290802?s=46&t=kY7HKwmb1RBg9U186lxtbg

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

India's GDP grows by 6% - healthy, powerful, a vibrant democracy
China's GDP grows by 5% - decaying, the end of the China model
US GDP grows by 1.8% - Bidenomics triumphant, the best president since FDR

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
Japan embraced degrowth 30 years early

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

great news!

Chinese shipbuilders have inked 37.67m dwt in newbuilding orders in the first half of 2023 an increase of 67.7% year-on-year.

quote:

Statistics released by the China Association of the National Shipbuilding Industry (CANSI) showed a 67.7% surge in new conracts in the first half of this year at Chinese shipyards compared to the same period in 2022. As a result orders on hand were 123.77m dwt as the end of June, an increase of 20.5%. Among which, export orders account for 92.8% of the total volume.

quote:

In the first six months, China’s shipbuilding output, newly-received shipbuilding orders and orders on hand in deadweight tonnage accounted for 49.6%, 72.6% and 53.2% of the global market share; the amount in gross tonnage accounted for 47.3%, 67.2% and 46.8% of the world volume, both ranking as number one in the global market.

lol china makes roughly half the new ships produced?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

All those replacements for scrapped inactive merchantmen after and during covid have to come from somewhere and who better?

Fun fact this means most of the world merchant fleets - incredibly important - will be Chinese.

Man I wouldn't want to be incredibly dependant on ocean trade and do something dumb like repeatedly provoke them. Ah well. Nobody would be that dumb.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
You know how the west keeps using "half of the world container ship traffic goes through Taiwan strait" as an excuse for potential interference, I wonder if there is stat show what percentage of ship traffic going through the strait is owned by China.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

stephenthinkpad posted:

You know how the west keeps using "half of the world container ship traffic goes through Taiwan strait" as an excuse for potential interference, I wonder if there is stat show what percentage of ship traffic going through the strait is owned by China.

That would most likely be a very inconvenient statistic and is thus unavailable.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Al-Saqr posted:

wow i never knew china and saudi arabias economies grew so much tbh i find it hard to believe that russia and saudi outpaced korea

https://twitter.com/spectatorindex/status/1701899712306290802?s=46&t=kY7HKwmb1RBg9U186lxtbg

CRIBS

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Danann posted:

this owns

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

yea, and japan and south korea produce the other half. it's actually kinda comical that the us empire is completely reliant on an industry that's concentrated entirely in either china or in its immediate backyard

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Al-Saqr posted:

I wonder why Vietnam is not on this list.

I'm pretty sure their GDP jumped 300%+ in this time frame.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Danann posted:

Thank you China for my new 4TB SSD

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Al-Saqr posted:

Look at them BRICS. No wonder Argentina wants in.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Orange Devil posted:

Look at them BRICS. No wonder Argentina wants in.

clearly says CRIBS, totally different

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

If Japan ever gets wise to how badly they're being hosed by the US it's going to be very funny to see how much poo poo China makes them eat before they're allowed to join.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
japan knows theyre being hosed by america but they cant and dont want to do anything about it amd honestly given their track record theyre better off this way

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
wonder how much more the indian economy would have grown if modi hadn't killed off the main industrial employment sector with his boondoggles.

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

Danann posted:

the article says memory but the details are for NAND SSDs.

although the memory part is also true, i've been buying RAM (Crucial brand) at half price of what i was paying last year.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
nvram is also ram :v:

DiscountDildos
Nov 8, 2017

Danann posted:

They can't keep getting away with this

https://twitter.com/markets/status/1701869168390234515?s=20

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

at what cost?!

oh, that's too low.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
i cant believe the smoothest brains at the energy market and geopolitics keep losing

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
the euros know that if they lose car manufacturing they are all the way done as an economic power, just a bunch of tourist spots and wineries left.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

the euros know that if they lose car manufacturing they are all the way done as an economic power, just a bunch of tourist spots and wineries left.

wow thats also japan to a T

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
When you think about it, isn't this just the reverse of what has been done to native people but self inflicted imposed by an interloper? Ripping apart nations and then selling the resources? That's pretty much gonna be what the West does to itself isn't it?

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

Palladium posted:

wow thats also japan to a T

nah most japanese wine is terrible.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Al-Saqr posted:

I just want to bring it up how bad Japan's economy has been and how bad the LDP has done in their job.

6% over 20 year is what, 0.3% per year?

Thats without the inflation adjustment, just a google search show the inflation in that 20 years were 53%, so the Japanese economy has been contracting 3% per year?

If Japanese people had a real democracy people can freely change government, they would have voted out the LDP a long time ago. It's the American master that 1 hold the LDP factions together in a single party and 2 keeping the party in power with their external influence and military bases. The real losers are the Japanese younger generations, anything younger than the boomers are progressively being hosed worse and worse.

Brandon Proust
Jun 22, 2006

"Like many intellectuals, he was incapable of scoring a simple goal in a simple way"

Danann posted:

quote:

YMTC is an emerging company that was established in 2016. However, their astonishing technological progress has caught up rapidly.
By the end of 2017, YMTC developed 32-layer NAND flash memory, nearly five years later than Samsung at that time.

In 2019, they began production of 64-layer TLC NAND flash memory.
By 2020, they reached 128 layers, achieving Samsung, SK Hynix, and Micron in terms of technology.

In 2022, they achieved 232 layers, and Apple chose YMTC as a supplier. Have to say the progress made by YMTC has been truely remarkable.

However, during this time, U.S. politicians started pressuring Apple, ultimately forcing them to abandon YMTC as a supplier in October of last year. In December, TechInsight, the same company that dismantled Huawei's CPUs, confirmed the 232-layer 3D storage chips from YMTC.

2 weeks later, the U.S. Department of Commerce added YMTC to the Entity List, which meant they could no longer obtain etching machines from Lam Research Corporation, and all repair personnel were withdrawn by the U.S.

is this what they mean by "rules-based international order" :thunk:

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Cerebral Bore posted:

yea, and japan and south korea produce the other half. it's actually kinda comical that the us empire is completely reliant on an industry that's concentrated entirely in either china or in its immediate backyard

The US fought like three wars to make sure that it happens that way.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Cerebral Bore posted:

SK's transportation industry almost collapsed when china temporarily halted urea exports during covid, "almost" only because they begged china for it

very resilient war footing here

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

thechosenone posted:

When you think about it, isn't this just the reverse of what has been done to native people but self inflicted imposed by an interloper? Ripping apart nations and then selling the resources? That's pretty much gonna be what the West does to itself isn't it?

fascism is basically the application of colonial management in the metropole, so yeah

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Danann posted:

what aliexpress has a 4TB m2 SSD for 37 dollars? is that for real?

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256...id=PuoJpLYbPZNF

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 has issued a correction as of 13:53 on Sep 14, 2023

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

thechosenone posted:

Foucault's Boomerang and all. They brought all the immiserating and robber baron capitalism home.

Cerebral Bore posted:

fascism is basically the application of colonial management in the metropole, so yeah

Also this. And just as unsustainable in the long run, when there's nothing left to plunder and the only thing anyone's allowed to build are boondoggles.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
so apparently uyghur separatism has been fostered for a long rear end time and it was discussed in a LaRouche magazine in goddamn 1997!?!

https://larouchepub.com/eiw/public/1997/eirv24n14-19970328/eirv24n14-19970328_059-uighur_card_used_to_break_up_chi.pdf

i was always curious why the netherlands (DUHRF) and australia (ASPI) seemed to be involved in uyghur poo poo, seems like it goes way back. the goal seemed to be to disrupt the proto-BRI that was already starting then.

quote:

‘Uighur card’ used to break up China by Joseph Brewda

Since February, the Xinjiang Autonomous Region of north west China has been the target of a series of disturbances and bombings, carried out-by their own claims-by “Uighur” separatist groups attempting to split the region from China. What is at stake in Xinjiang is a project of strategic importance: the Second Euro-Asian Continental Bridge, the “new Silk Road” China-to-West Asia-and-Europe rail line which opened in 1992. This project, at the core of all current projects to develop the Eurasian landmass, was only finally completed, a century after the first Europe-to-Asia line was built in Russia, when the connection between the Chinese rail system and that of Kazakhstan in Central Asia was finished.

Xinjiang is being targeted by foreign-steered and foreign-headquartered separatist movements claiming to represent the Turkic-Ianguage-speaking Uighur “people” of Xinjiang. Although in 1949, Xinjiang’s population was approximately 95% Uighur, today, about half of the 16 million population are of Chinese origin. Xinjiang also has China’s largest deposits of oil and natural gas, uranium, gold, and other raw materials. Since 1992, Xinjiang has acquired global strategic significance, as the route of the Continental Bridge. The Chinese government is now building two more branches of the “Land-Bridge”: a second connection to Kazakhstan, and the first rail line to the city of Kashi, the Chinese terminus of the Pakistan-China Karakoram Highway.

The separatists make no bones about the fact, that these strategic rail lines are their target. The leader of the U.S. branch of the Uighur Liberation Front, Gulamettin Pahta, told EIR on March 11, that the “Continental Bridge” is a Chinese “imperialist” plot that must be blocked. “They are building railroads, but the people are opposing the railroad, and will destroy the railroad. This is just like the American movies on the history of California, What the Indians did, in fighting the railroads, is what we will do. The same thing is happening. Every train coming into eastern Turkestan is bringing in Chinese. This must be stopped,” Pahta said.

Just how “successful” the separatists are in fighting the railroads, is questionable. Western press outlets, in an effort to inflame the situation, have repeatedly given all kinds of figures for casualties in disturbances in Xinjiang, and a bomb explosion in Beijing, numbers which Chinese accounts have not confirmed. However, spokesmen for the Uighur Liberation Party and the Eastern Turkestan Liberation Organization have claimed credit for the violence.

Moreover, efforts by the British to inflame relations between China and the Central Asian Republics, by staging some of their “East Turkistan” separatist actions out of states bordering on China, have also been dealt a setback.

President Nursultan Nazarbayev of Kazakhstan, fresh from discussions in Beijing about rail and energy cooperation with China, held a Feb. 22 press conference, in which he denounced the idea of secessionism. “So-called minorities live in Inner Mongolia, Xinjiang, Tibet, the south, and in other regions of China. Their aspiration for self-determination is understandable. However, we can in no way welcome the idea of separatism.There are 6,000 peoples and ethnic groups in the world.If all of them were to decide to declare sovereignty one day, then numerous helpless, dwarfish countries would emerge on the planet, along with the existing powerful countries that are striving for development and prosperity, and this would mean chaos, permanent wars, and endless conflicts.”

Gulamettin Pahta is a member of an international network of Uighur liberationist groups deployed by the British and Dutch monarchies’ Unrepresented Nations and Peoples Organization (UNPO), the British Royal Society of Asian Affairs, and Lord Avebury’s House of Lords human rights mercenaries.The UNPO has trained the Uighur liberationists in “diplomatic skills” at the Australian National University, according to its literature, through grants provided by the Dutch Foreign Ministry.

After World War II, the Uighur separatists were led by Isa Yusuf Alptekin, who led a revolt in Xinjiang in 1945. Today, the leadership of the network has passed to his son, Erkin Alptekin, who is also chairman of the UNPO.

The British command structure

In addition to the Anglo-Dutch UNPO, which has targeted much of Siberia, as well as large sections of Central Asia and western China for break-up into ethnically divided mini states, EIR has identified a complex of largely London-head quartered intelligence fronts, all pushing the destabilization of China.

One of the most important British case officers for the Uighur independence movement is Sir William Peters, a former British deputy high commissioner in Bombay and career intelligence specialist, who is today chairman of the Tibet Society and board member of the Royal Society of Asian Affairs, the primary British intelligence outfit targeting China. In 1991, he wrote an optimistic forecast of Uighur and Tibetan rebellion, after a tour of Xinjiang, in the society’s journal, Asian Affairs:

“To the south and east [of XinjiangJlies Tibet.Stories of the Tibetan resistance filter through to Kashgar [Kashi] and its neighbors. To the northeast, Uighurs see the moves toward multipolarity in Outer Mongolia and hear about unrest among Mongols in Inner Mongolia. On the western side …there is no telling what direction semi-independent republics in Kazakhstan, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzia, and Uzbekistan might move vis-a-vis China, If there is any truth in the story of military help from Kyrgyz across the border for their fellow tribesmen in Xinjiang. this thought will be all the stronger. A few Uighurs have heard of the Joint Committee for the Manchu, Mongol, East Turkmen, and Tibetan Peoples and are particularly anxious to obtain by whatever means possible the Committee’s publication One Voice. They have some links with Isa Alptekin. leader of the Turkestan Liberation Movement. It is noteworthy that Alptekin’s son Erkin Alptekin took an active part in the International Convention on Tibet in London from 6 to 8 July [1990].

“The conjunction of revived minority discontent on both national and religious grounds, of improved access across the frontier to fellow tribesmen, of major political change in neighboring countries, and of the sustained world reaction against genocide, colonialism, and apartheid, creates a situation in Central Asia in which radical change is just possible. The present campaign to arouse world opinion on the subject of genocide, colonialism, and apartheid in China could be the lever which pries out from a Politburo due for change radical concessions in areas such as Xinjiang and Tibet.”

The House of Lords and Foreign Office speak

Lord Avebury, chairman of the British Parliamentary Human Rights Group, is another controller of the separatists. In 1994, Lord Avebury sent an open letter to the British Foreign Office demanding that it “save the peoples of Eastern Turkestan,” who were “faced with national extinction.” In 1995, Lord A vebury told EIR that he was pessimistic that Britain could be successful in defending the Uighurs and Tibetans from Chinese efforts to exterminate them, simply through
human rights campaigns, implying that he favored more aggressive London involvement in the destabilization of Xinjiang.

Lord Ennals, a former British Foreign Secretary, was, until his recent death, another top patron of the Uighur and Tibetan independence movements. He was also a leader of the UNPO, Martin Ennals, Lord Ennal’ s brother, controls Amnesty International, the British Foreign Office front which oversees international propaganda campaigns against China, over alleged suppression of the Uighurs and Tibetans.

American ‘cousins’ weigh in

Among the so-called “Americans” who have joined the Anglo-Dutch drumbeat to destabilize the New Silk Road” through secessionist violence in Xinjiang, is one of Henry Kissinger’s leading State Department proteges, Dr. Helmut Sonnenfeldt. In an interview with Voice of America on Feb. 14, the retired career State Department official, ow with Kissinger at the Center for Strategic and International Studies, predicted that Xinjiang could become a “Chinese Chechnya.

Sonnenfeldt gloated, “I think the Chinese have tried to observe very closely what happened in Chechnya, in part because they may be conscious of the possibility that something of that sort might arise in their own domain.” Sonnenfeldt cautioned that, should such an uprising gain steam, “it needs to be dealt with harshly and rapidly,” or else China will be
forced to grant the region autonomy-precisely the British strategic plan.

Elsie Walker is another leading propagandist devoted to “rousing world opinion” on Xinjiang. A cousin of former U.S. President Sir George Herbert Walker Bush, she heads the U.S.-based Asians for Democracy, which also mobilizes on behalf of the Tibetan cause. In October 1994, Uighur liberationist leader Erkin Alptekin addressed a conference in New York City of the “Allied Committee of the Peoples of Eastern Turkestan, Inner Mongolia, Tibet,” organized by Walker’s outfit.

In its official announcement of the conference, the Dalai Lama’s so-called Tibetan government-in-exile declared: “This conference is being organized to let the international public know that in the uncertainty, instability, and even turmoil in China, that may result from the death of strongman Deng Xiaoping, the struggle to regain the freedom of these three peoples [Tibetans, Uighurs, and Mongols] from communist China domination will be pursued relentlessly.” According to both Chinese and foreign news accounts, on the day of Deng Xiaoping’s funeral. three bombings took place in Xinjiang.

The proposed map of a China broken into pieces, which the separatists distributed at the conference, leaves no doubt what their London masters are attempting.

i might have too much epstein brain, but i wonder if the dutch and british were involved because of the Shell oil company. it is a dutch-british merger and there's oil in xinjiang, so it would kinda be an US-Iraq situation. i can imagine the bloodlines of colonial officials, trading magnates, MI6 and bluebloods etc all wanting a piece.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Danann posted:

Can China do that for ram too because the stranglehold the ram pricing cartel has on the west is incredible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

President xi my people are dying. Send cxmt 2*16 3600 sticks