Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
The dealer hall at Gen Con serves 3 purposes: Buy new poo poo that's being released at Gen Con, try to find deals on nerd poo poo, and play demos of games that might interest you. You could have a very fun time at Gen Con without ever stepping foot in the dealer hall but it is pretty fun to see what's on offer if you can stand the crowds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Magnetic North posted:

I've never been to Spiel or Gen Con so I can't comment. However, you might get a little more traction crossposting this into the Board Game Thread since my understanding is that Spiel is much more strictly a 'board game convention' rather than 'gaming convention' like GenCon or 'nerd convention' like ComicCon or what have you.

Just took a look at the convention center plan on the Spiel website and while it does seem to be majority board games, there seems to be a healthy enough mix:

Yellow is RPG/minis/collectible card games, blue is "family games" which I assume are Most Board Games, orange are hobbyist games (so I guess "intermediate"), purple is expert games, and white is for manufacturers and crowdfunding.

So yeah definitely not huge on the non-board side of things, but it's probably also the biggest thing Europe has for those kind of games as well. Or are there other more miniature/RPG/card game focused shows elsewhere in Europe that I don't know about?

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

My partner has been to both Spiel and Gencon, and says that they're pretty different. Spiel is apparently pretty focused on being a trade show. The event is set up to let people buy product, sell product, and network. Gencon is more of an all-rounder. It's very much a trade show with a bigass dealers hall, but there is also metric fuckload of events and panels and cosplay and other nonsense going on at any given moment, taking up the convention center, a football stadium, and most of the surrounding hotels.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I guess I just ignored most of the dealer stuff as a broke-rear end 20 year old then. :v:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Haystack posted:

My partner has been to both Spiel and Gencon, and says that they're pretty different. Spiel is apparently pretty focused on being a trade show. The event is set up to let people buy product, sell product, and network. Gencon is more of an all-rounder. It's very much a trade show with a bigass dealers hall, but there is also metric fuckload of events and panels and cosplay and other nonsense going on at any given moment, taking up the convention center, a football stadium, and most of the surrounding hotels.
Reminds me of Origins (in principle) but apparently on a larger scale.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Kestral posted:

One of the kids I run D&D for linked The Arcane Programmer, which is essentially a Turing Machine using Magic Mouths, which delights me. I mentioned some of the other crazy thought experiments in that vein, and they want to see them, but I'm having trouble finding them. Anyone have a link to the amazing hypothetical / thought experiment about an incredibly powergamed elf astronomer trying to kill Cthulhu by throwing boats at him through space, something along those lines? Also the Skeleton Computer.

I bet that elf astronomer is really regretting not actually reading the Call of Cthulhu short story, because if they did they'd realize that tossing boats at Cthulhu doesn't kill it, it just presents a minor inconvenience that makes it harder for Cthulhu to swat at an annoying gnat.

Unfortunately, a lot of the things I'm aware about (like the Peasant Railgun) are on 1d4chan and I don't really want to link to there.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

Kestral posted:

One of the kids I run D&D for linked The Arcane Programmer, which is essentially a Turing Machine using Magic Mouths, which delights me. I mentioned some of the other crazy thought experiments in that vein, and they want to see them, but I'm having trouble finding them. Anyone have a link to the amazing hypothetical / thought experiment about an incredibly powergamed elf astronomer trying to kill Cthulhu by throwing boats at him through space, something along those lines? Also the Skeleton Computer.

Here you go

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
thinking of playing some trading cards irl this weekend folks

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Not sure if there is a better thread to ask in, but is there anywhere to get a pdf copy JG 37 The First Fantasy Campaign book?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Terrible Opinions posted:

Not sure if there is a better thread to ask in, but is there anywhere to get a pdf copy JG 37 The First Fantasy Campaign book?

:filez: is about it, but it is not hard to find.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

:chanpop:

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I kind of want to know whether this is the kind of guy who's already written the entire campaign in his head and just wants someone else to act out the NPCs, or the kind of guy whose only creative contribution will be "this is Bob the Fighter, he thinks boobies are the most erotic part of the lady," but I also don't really want to know anything else about this guy at all

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Antivehicular posted:

I kind of want to know whether this is the kind of guy who's already written the entire campaign in his head and just wants someone else to act out the NPCs, or the kind of guy whose only creative contribution will be "this is Bob the Fighter, he thinks boobies are the most erotic part of the lady," but I also don't really want to know anything else about this guy at all

the available hours are amazing he has literally a 40 hour working week (plus some* weekends) to talk about elf dicks

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

there was a fairly common thing going around on startplaying of a guy who really really wanted someone to run a game where all the other npc's were anime girls who slowly but surely turned into giantesses and he was apparently very stingy to boot!

The detail that always gets me though is that the system he 100% wanted it in with no exceptions was, advanced dungeons and dragons second edition.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

ItohRespectArmy posted:

there was a fairly common thing going around on startplaying of a guy who really really wanted someone to run a game where all the other npc's were anime girls who slowly but surely turned into giantesses and he was apparently very stingy to boot!

The detail that always gets me though is that the system he 100% wanted it in with no exceptions was, advanced dungeons and dragons second edition.

Well yeah.

The different weapon damages by relative size was probably a plot point.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I'd do it for 20 dollars an hour. Man's gotta eat.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Plutonis posted:

"20 dollars is 20 dollars."

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
A long time ago when we used IRC instead of Discord, a guy turned up in an RPG channel I hung out in to advertise an erotic Pathfinder game. I ended up spectating (because why wouldn't you, obviously) and a lot of it was a bard DMPC crying because the elf warlock PC he was banging wasn't lawful good. I assume you gotta have D&D rules for a little extra spice.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
It's really odd that this guy wants to be erotic with someone but apparently has no preferences about the exact kind of erotic he is going to receive.

He's either very open-minded or is about to learn for the first time what homosexuals are.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The Whizzard's time has finally come

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Well at least he's up front about what he's looking for, except for anything specific.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Rand Brittain posted:

It's really odd that this guy wants to be erotic with someone but apparently has no preferences about the exact kind of erotic he is going to receive.

He's either very open-minded or is about to learn for the first time what homosexuals are.

Oh no! I accidentally entered the futanari-only dungeon!

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Dare you enter rear end-ererak's Tomb of Whores?

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
Some serious Fear of Girls Vibe here.

But also, maybe this is a woman. Maybe

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

The amount of people willing to do sex roleplaying with complete strangers, literally zero interaction beforehand, always astonishes me.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Youremother posted:

The amount of people willing to do sex roleplaying with complete strangers, literally zero interaction beforehand, always astonishes me.

I'm not throwing stones on that particular house but doing it on an actual tabletop campaign is kinda clunky.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Youremother posted:

maybe its really fun

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Feels Villeneuve posted:

maybe its really fun

All the pregnancies are fictional and the only disease you might catch is cringe

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
ive seen people do hosed up poo poo, like play contract bridge, or risk. nothing can faze me

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

I mean at least roleplay buying them a drink first or something, you're just gonna get both feet wet from zero like that?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Feels Villeneuve posted:

ive seen people do hosed up poo poo, like play contract bridge, or risk. nothing can faze me
I've heard there's a bunch of perverts on this very forum who unironically enjoy monopoly

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Youremother posted:

I mean at least roleplay buying them a drink first or something, you're just gonna get both feet wet from zero like that?
w-

wet from what

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

One of my favorite grogs.txt moments was the group of like three guys and a girl doing ERP with one of the dude's lovely bog standard D&D3 settings. They posted hours-long YouTube videos of just the absolute most boring, normal, meandering D&D sessions that were occasionally punctuated by extremely awkward "I touch the bar wench's boobs and then we have an orgy" that technically weren't fade-to-black moments but were so devoid of horniness or detail before they just went back to regular old D&D poo poo, they may as well have never bothered. The only way anyone was getting off on that was if those extremely specific circumstances were their kink, and based on how bored all the people playing the game sounded, it sure wasn't theirs.

It was an astounding demonstration of how feeling like roleplaying requires you to do D&D stuff is poisonous to actual fun in a lot of cases.

I think they came to the thread's attention because the DM was mad about SJWs or something.

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Sep 18, 2023

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Plutonis posted:

Going rate for regular GMs is $10-15 per person per hour or 30-40 per person per session, so you’re way underselling yourself.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Going rate for regular GMs is $10-15 per person per hour or 30-40 per person per session, so you’re way underselling yourself.

I'm a third worlder, I am supposed to be working at exploitative rates!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Back in the day, people I guess paid $2.99 a minute to call some 1-900 number to sex roleplay by voice only with random strangers.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They have onlyfans and camgirls/boys/other for that now.

But those chat lines must still exist somewhere. There'll be whole fetishes hanging on it specifically being a phonecall.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

Bucnasti posted:

But also, maybe this is a woman. Maybe
My experience is that freeform ERP, especially text based freeform ERP associated with any kind of fandom, is mostly women. But I suspect that ERP with rules and game mechanics is mostly men.

Darth Various
Oct 23, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I read "contact risk" at first, and figured that yeah, that sounds dirty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Most games of Risk I have sat down for devolve into full-contact Risk after a point