Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Nebakenezzer posted:

I'm not sure if this fills in any more details about that Ural Airlines Airbus.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-66785897

It has been reported brakes are one thing that the stolen airliners are basically out of.

Nothing new looks like. Though they denied there was a fire, which by recent accounts probably means there was a fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Some old motorcars used wooden brakes.

Maybe it can work for Russia.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Platystemon posted:

Some old motorcars used wooden brakes.

Maybe it can work for Russia.
Some brakes use graphite....

quote:

The Russians used a pencil

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Nebakenezzer posted:

So one of Russia's stolen airliners had a mechanical malfunction and landed in a field. I mention it as it produces images of how the non-Russian airliners are doing: https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1701471622471774662

its ok ural right

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

ImplicitAssembler posted:

I soloed in 16 hours. Think there was only one person on my course who went beyond 30 hours.
From scratch or after a ppl?

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Cable Guy posted:

Some brakes use graphite....

There's a bunch of graphite probably buried somewhere around Chernobyl they could use.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Just stumbled upon Jersery international air display being streamed live
https://www.youtube.com/live/i5WVoixI0NQ?si=yDiFv5ieh0Ixp0af

Right now it looks like a Lancaster and 2x Spitfires doing a display

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

evil_bunnY posted:

From scratch or after a ppl?

Scratch. And it's by no means unheard of. Average was probably around 20-22hrs.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Scratch. And it's by no means unheard of. Average was probably around 20-22hrs.
goddamn. a basic fixed wing license is *45* hours here.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Sep 15, 2023

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

evil_bunnY posted:

No. The minimum hours required for a fixed wing is 45 hours.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

No. The minimum hours required for a fixed wing is 45 hours.
yes, sorry.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

evil_bunnY posted:

yes, sorry.

Pretty sure it's the same for a PPL(H).

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5nEoXXZhyU

The last ever Reno's live all weekend. They're doing STOL Drag racing and it is so cute and so fun. The dude who runs the whole sport is the guy running the event and he's being fun on the radio

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.
https://x.com/a_real_society/status/1702751847247655178?s=46

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Nowadays we need to change the 'x' in the url back to 'twitter' for the embedding to work because Elon is a stable brain genius

Well he's not dead, can't argue with success

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

I can't say this is advisable, but it's probably a way less bad idea than the idiots who attempt to build more advanced novel bullshit, like that moron who was trying to use an Audi diesel or whatever and found the world's worst PIO problem, followed by crashing into a field.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

evil_bunnY posted:

note that implicitassembler is talking about time to solo, not time to license. most people solo probably about a third of the way through their training.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

note that implicitassembler is talking about time to solo, not time to license. most people solo probably about a third of the way through their training.
yeah that's where my confusion stemmed from.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Any landing you can walk away from

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
I've spent the last two days at the Reno air races, and it's been a mixed bag.

The airshow acts are never great, and the racing this year has been decent, but the pilot/owner of the second fastest airplane in the Unlimited class (a 3000+hp P-51) has been spectacularly awful.

He's a boomer neurosurgeon, and despite the fact that he's been repeatedly disqualified for various things related to how he flies and clearly doesn't know what he's doing, he absolutely refuses to hire an outside pilot, so he managed to get disqualified in qualifying, successfully raced yesterday without doing anything dumb, and then got DQ'ed again today, and depending on what he did (he may have flown too close to the crowd line in addition to other stuff), he might actually be banned from any flying tomorrow.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

azflyboy posted:

The airshow acts are never great, and the racing this year has been decent, but the pilot/owner of the second fastest airplane in the Unlimited class (a 3000+hp P-51) has been spectacularly awful.

He's a boomer neurosurgeon, and despite the fact that he's been repeatedly disqualified for various things related to how he flies and clearly doesn't know what he's doing, he absolutely refuses to hire an outside pilot, so he managed to get disqualified in qualifying, successfully raced yesterday without doing anything dumb, and then got DQ'ed again today, and depending on what he did (he may have flown too close to the crowd line in addition to other stuff), he might actually be banned from any flying tomorrow.

How hasn't he crashed yet?

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Well yeah, why do you think they called him a boomer?

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

He's likely a decent pilot, but flying 450mph in close formation (with someone who doesn't want you there), in a window between 50-250' off the ground is a completely different skill set, which he obviously doesn't have. He did manage to pass the mandatory pylon racing school all the pilots have to attend, so he's at least theoretically capable of flying the course properly.

It's probably good that his lack of skill manifests as flying too high, since he's nowhere near other racers (who typically fly as low a line as possible), and rule/inspection changes after the 2011 Reno crash make it fairly unlikely an airplane will go into the crowd without hitting another airplane first.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

azflyboy posted:

He's a boomer neurosurgeon,

all the words after this were superfluous

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

azflyboy posted:

He's a boomer neurosurgeon,

https://youtu.be/GTbQcnHWUX8?si=pYRdScAyx4MoTPuE

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Can you fly an A320 out of a field? I guess we’ll find out!

https://mentourpilot.com/update-ural-airlines-plans-to-fly-a320-out-of-field/

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

PT6A posted:

lmao lotsa luck with that plan.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I feel like when this attempt goes through I better have the “front fell off” link ready to go.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

PT6A posted:

yea, nah

lmao

If I was in charge of this crazy op, I'd probably try install some big sled on the gears and wait for winter. Take out all the seats and galley equipment and pray you can achieve rotation speed at the lowest weight possible without the whole fuselage breaking or hitting a tree line. Then it'd have to somehow survive another landing. Pilots will need a few wodka shots for this one

Mikojan fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Sep 17, 2023

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

azflyboy posted:

That's actually really funny?

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
It absolutely is, other than the fact that the specific way he was flying erratically (wide/high), increases the chances of sending an airplane into the crowd.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

What’s totally awesome about this plan is that it’s totally not needed and it’s just someone tallying up the costs of the crew and the airframe eating it versus properly dismantling it and transporting back to wherever.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
There's a chance there's some specialized tools or equipment required to disassemble or move the airplane, and the Russian forgot to steal those, so this is their "best" option.

Plus, if it goes wrong, they'll just blame it on the Ukrainian Jewish Nazis.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0srs5jZ1qdg&t=90s

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I mean, if they get it to a road it doesn't seem all that different from TACA 110. That landed on a levee, was towed to a road after an on site engine replacement, and then flown somewhere to be repaired and remained in service for another 28 years.

Not that they have the parts, equipment, or expertise to properly repair it though.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I also was thinking about the possibility of disassembling it. But they definitely do not have the tools and documentation to be able to take that plane apart and put it back together in a way that is flyable. I would assume that is something that you pay Airbus to send out technicians to do properly. The other options being just strip anything that fits onto a truck and just abandon it there, or to find some way to fly it out. Considering how low Russia values human life at the moment, convincing someone to try to fly that thing is probably what they see as the cheapest option.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Maybe they'll wait for the ground to become really hard with frost and cut down some trees before they take her out

But that looks like a drat fine field landing, all in all

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mikojan posted:

yea, nah

lmao

If I was in charge of this crazy op, I'd probably try install some big sled on the gears and wait for winter. Take out all the seats and galley equipment and pray you can achieve rotation speed at the lowest weight possible without the whole fuselage breaking or hitting a tree line. Then it'd have to somehow survive another landing. Pilots will need a few wodka shots for this one

quote:

The airline’s crew has cleaned the aircraft, they have removed or stowed its emergency slides, and serviced its engines. The Ural crew also had to dig the landing gear of the A320 out of the trenches it opened in the field.

Perhaps they mean that they’ve put the gear on a big pad of plywood or whatever to distribute the weight until the ground freezes enough? It feels like your average field could be prepped for an A320 to take off with a minimum load. But, I would think this operation would look like preparing a dirt/gravel field for the winter?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mikojan posted:

Compact a runway’s worth of ground in front of the plane. Wait for it to freeze, and hope that you can keep up with snow ploughing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

america components russia components. blyat. all made in taiwan