Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

I mean, Linehan IS a good writer. Father Ted, IT Crowd and Black Books were all good, funny series.

He's just also The Worst oval office.

Cunts *can* be genuinely good at things. Sometimes (often?) the literal absolute best people in a given field are also just the worst people. The Left and Right just disagree over which of those facets of their personality should be the overriding factor.

"Don't listen to that guy, he's a horrible person and does/has done horrible things which have caused real harm" vs "So what if he's done horrible things, he's good at [writing/football/acting/whatever]" and even "He's good at writing comedy, we should listen to what he has to say on gender!" which is clearly just completely bonkers and morally bankrupt.

E: What a terrible page snipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

NotJustANumber99 posted:

edited due to just being the word hello

Hello, hello! HOLA!

Bleerrrrblerrrblerrrr VERRRRTIGOOOOOOO

that’s enough of that

Microplastics your getup is badass. Where do you upload pics these days? I’ve decided I will grace you all with a picture of my new jacket but I can’t work out how to.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

WhatEvil posted:

I mean, Linehan IS a good writer. Father Ted, IT Crowd and Black Books were all good, funny series.
Didn’t it turn out that all the best gags on those shows were written by others and his stuff was all simple, punching-down dreck?

grobbo
May 29, 2014

TACD posted:

Didn’t it turn out that all the best gags on those shows were written by others and his stuff was all simple, punching-down dreck?

Black Books definitely becomes funnier and weirder once Linehan's writing credit vanishes (and as far as I know, Dylan Moran has expressed nothing but carefully-worded contempt for the man when asked about him by journalists).

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Turns out Arthur Matthews and Stephen Merchant were the funny ones.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/PatsyeStevenson/status/1702180825951871081

:toot:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I wonder how much it boiled Gervais' piss that Merchant got to be Wheatley in Portal 2.

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

grobbo posted:

Black Books definitely becomes funnier and weirder once Linehan's writing credit vanishes (and as far as I know, Dylan Moran has expressed nothing but carefully-worded contempt for the man when asked about him by journalists).

Motherland similarly as good after Glinner's credit disappears so I feel comfortable extrapolating that he's either entirely replaceable with people who aren't abhorrent or, better, he contributed next to nothing in the first place (unlikely but one can dream).

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

WhatEvil posted:

Which, as noted previously, were written by other people. Linehan's book in one sentence: "I built my career in comedy by hanging on the coattails of more talented writers, and lost it by being a heinous bigot that they didn't want to associate with any more".

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Linehan has managed to do the challenging Reverse Roy Chubby Brown, where one is a bigoted prick on stage for laughs but has middling "I don't think people should act like that in public" opinions elsewhere.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Jedit posted:

Your grandfather or great-grandfather probably wore pink as a child. It was a boy's colour right up to the 1940s.

I've seen a gorgeous portrait of a 17th century mercenary in a pink silk outfit but can't find it on Google, so here's something from the 18th century, when pink could be worn by both men and women:

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

fuctifino posted:

A nugget of positive news amongst the constant torrent of poo poo:

https://twitter.com/ChrisGPackham/status/1702044321778745446

... which will in turn mean fewer torrents of poo poo, hopefully...

e: The rivers will be less lovely?

Note these rules mostly focus on chemical pollution, not biological, so have no influence on the amount of poo poo on rivers. The issue is the levels of nitrate mostly running into rivers which causes wildlife and ecosystem issues by allowing some bits of the ecosystem to grow unsustainably and choke out the rest of the wildlife.

The EU rules are that if developers want to build on natural land, that would increase chemical levels in the rivers by having less runoff through natural land. Hence developers must by and protect equal amounts of other land in the watershed so nutrient levels in the river stays constant.

This isn't a great scheme, because the actual main causes of the nutrient pollution aren't the developers, they are farmers and water companies, and more houses would be nice. But it does ensure the problem doesn't get any worse. These rules probably do need reform, but also doing it in a separate bill rather than slapping it on the end of the bill in the Lords is probably a more parliamentary approach.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

We need a way to escape this cancerous idea that farmers are the custodians of our countryside. They're custodians of farmland and will happily and actively poison any river and decimate any natural wildlife if they think they can get away with it. Or sometimes even if they know they can't, like here where an enterprising farmer used a jcb to destroy a protected habitat whoopsy. Ah well it's destroyed now so no reason to stop my development anymore.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Tending to the pastoral countryside by raising animals as cheaply as possible before bolt gunning them as soon as they reach adulthood and sending their corpse to be cut up and doled out for us to eat.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Tesseraction posted:

Tending to the pastoral countryside by raising animals as cheaply as possible before bolt gunning them as soon as they reach adulthood and sending their corpse to be cut up and doled out for us to eat.

busy thursday?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It all stems from run-off pollution off that Bob Moron cartoon about how nice countryside is clean and big cities are dirty and so we must kill all the *hem* globalist cosmopolitans, filtered through the Jorian Jenks soil yourself association.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Pistol_Pete posted:

I've seen a gorgeous portrait of a 17th century mercenary in a pink silk outfit but can't find it on Google, so here's something from the 18th century, when pink could be worn by both men and women:

ignoring the fact that was wasn’t uncommon for little boys to wear frilly dresses, i recall some historian saying that the pink=girl blue=boy swapped in the victorian era for some reason

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Jel Shaker posted:

ignoring the fact that was wasn’t uncommon for little boys to wear frilly dresses, i recall some historian saying that the pink=girl blue=boy swapped in the victorian era for some reason

I'm sure I read that boys & girls dressed identically (in dresses) until they were about 6 or 7.
Doesn't that guy in that image look like Stephen Kinnockio.

Skulker
Jan 27, 2021

Duuuuuude!

Aramoro posted:

We need a way to escape this cancerous idea that farmers are the custodians of our countryside. They're custodians of farmland and will happily and actively poison any river and decimate any natural wildlife if they think they can get away with it. Or sometimes even if they know they can't, like here where an enterprising farmer used a jcb to destroy a protected habitat whoopsy. Ah well it's destroyed now so no reason to stop my development anymore.

A lot of my family are farmers, proper mid-sized nice picturesque farm farmers.

They are all, without exception, utter cunts. All their farmer mates that I've met are utter cunts. All their stories of farming life suggest the kind of deep-seated blood lust and hatred for nature that would be eye-rollingly OTT if you saw it on an episode of Captain Planet. They also seem to view paying anyone a wage for work done as a gross hardship, and think that "I get up early in the morning" is some kind of incredible feat. Never mind that their 4:00 start comes with a 10:00 finish and they're in the pub by 12:30.

Fuckin' hate farmers, me. Alan Partridge was right.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jel Shaker posted:

pink=girl blue=boy swapped in the victorian era for some reason
Probably Prussians. Or any people who managed an equal hate of Redcoats (and the idea of pink being manly) and Catholics (and the idea of blue being Mary's colour).

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I'm sure I read that boys & girls dressed identically (in dresses) until they were about 6 or 7.

Theres a picture of me in a smock (functionally a dress) aged about three. Mum was a hippy though.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Franklin Roosevelt as a wee one.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
Saddened and angered that the all powerful trans lobby is using time travel to make our great grandfathers wear biologically female clothing

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Angepain posted:

Saddened and angered that the all powerful trans lobby is using time travel to make our great grandfathers wear biologically female clothing

That episode of Dr Who hasn't been released yet, don't spoil it :mad:

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Skulker posted:

A lot of my family are farmers, proper mid-sized nice picturesque farm farmers.

They are all, without exception, utter cunts. All their farmer mates that I've met are utter cunts. All their stories of farming life suggest the kind of deep-seated blood lust and hatred for nature that would be eye-rollingly OTT if you saw it on an episode of Captain Planet. They also seem to view paying anyone a wage for work done as a gross hardship, and think that "I get up early in the morning" is some kind of incredible feat. Never mind that their 4:00 start comes with a 10:00 finish and they're in the pub by 12:30.

Fuckin' hate farmers, me. Alan Partridge was right.

Lmao

I had to spend a couple of months following around a Farm Vet in the Downpatrick area a couple of years ago and, gently caress me, that was an eye opener. The way cows are treated is loving horrifying. Either hi tech gigantic torture factories with robots cleaning the poo poo up , or filthy decrepit “traditional farms” knee deep in poo poo and filth with bulls having their bollocks crushed by giant metal tongs. It was awful.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

smellmycheese posted:

bulls having their bollocks crushed by giant metal tongs. It was awful.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Jakabite posted:

Microplastics your getup is badass. Where do you upload pics these days? I’ve decided I will grace you all with a picture of my new jacket but I can’t work out how to.

I still use imgur but only because the Awful app makes it so convenient. The app uploads it to imgur straight from my phone's gallery and pops the embed code right into the post

Sometimes I'll email myself a pic from my computer to my phone just so I can use the app for this express purpose

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-66798508

A Russian pilot tried to shoot down an RAF surveillance plane after believing he had permission to fire, the BBC has learned.

The pilot fired two missiles, the first of which missed rather than malfunctioned as claimed at the time.

Russia had claimed the incident last September was caused by a "technical malfunction".

The UK's Ministry of Defence (MoD) publicly accepted the Russian explanation.

But now three senior Western defence sources with knowledge of the incident have told the BBC that Russian communications intercepted by the RAF RC-135 Rivet Joint aircraft give a very different account from the official version.

The RAF plane - with a crew of up to 30 - was flying a surveillance mission over the Black Sea in international airspace on 29 September last year when it encountered two Russian SU-27 fighter jets.

The intercepted communications show that one of the Russian pilots thought he had been given permission to target the British aircraft, following an ambiguous command from a Russian ground station.

However, the second Russian pilot did not. He remonstrated and swore at his wingman when he fired the first missile.

The Rivet Joint is loaded with sensors to intercept communications. The RAF crew would have been able to listen in to the incident which could have resulted in their own deaths.

The MoD will not release details of those communications.

Responding to these new revelations an MoD spokesperson said: "Our intent has always been to protect the safety of our operations, avoid unnecessary escalation and inform the public and international community."

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Diet Crack posted:

Wasn't pink actually a masculine colour until feminism came along?

From the little i remember it changed in the 1920s, possibly due to marketing pink and blue got swapped as gender specific colours.

edit: apparently: :iiam: but it happened and here we, fighting over pastels. :rolleyes:

Just Another Lurker fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Sep 14, 2023

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
MY LACK OF KNOWLEDGE OF CURRENT EVENTS IS EXCEEDED ONLY BY MY UNQUENCHABLE THIRST FOR PISS. FUK U AMERIKKKA!!
On the whole farmers are probably a net positive.
Salute tractors as they drive past

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

DreddyMatt posted:

On the whole farmers are probably a net positive.
Salute tractors as they drive past

You mean as I drive past them, right?

Get outta my way you tractor gently caress! :argh:

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I guess once we got out of the black and white times, everyone saw what the colours really looked like and were like gently caress me that's a bit girly looking.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
https://twitter.com/JolyonMaugham/status/1702207737151590877

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
MY LACK OF KNOWLEDGE OF CURRENT EVENTS IS EXCEEDED ONLY BY MY UNQUENCHABLE THIRST FOR PISS. FUK U AMERIKKKA!!

Microplastics posted:

You mean as I drive past them, right?

Get outta my way you tractor gently caress! :argh:

Ah, you're right there. Hadn't considered that one.

gently caress those guys
Lorry drivers doing slow elephant races on dual carriageways can eat poo poo too. Would rather my Amazon packages arrive late than deal with those dicks

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Rory’s publisher must be furious that he’s absolutely ruined any good publicity for his new book as every single centrist now thinks he’s worse than Hitler for his extremely mild endorsement of Jereboam Crubbin

https://twitter.com/rorystewartuk/status/1702222705779470573?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Is his book even allowed to look like that

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Or, maybe he's done the whole 'algorithms don't give a poo poo if it's a hate search/share, they'll boost it anyway' seo grift, except winding up the centre instead of the left.

(Because he knows the left is already done with his poo poo and it wouldn't work, whereas credilous centrist dads will boost the hell out of it)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

"were hit by the crisis" in the same manner that parts of the geography "were hit by" glaciation.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Microplastics posted:

Is his book even allowed to look like that

Lol

But the actual book cover looks really old fashioned. Like it's been released straight to the charity shops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

And fortuitous luck to the schools that get the 10 that are actually delivered.