Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

uber_stoat posted:

UYD could never live anywhere but LA.

Living, Loving, Laughing; Los Angeles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007
Prophecy: if Jordan moves to LA she will break up Ben Avery's marriage

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Dalmuti posted:

lol oh god

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

uber_stoat posted:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Dalmuti posted:

now im for it

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Shipon posted:

on the other hand all of the internet's urbanists make me glad to not be living somewhere like philly. i think i would lose it if i had to encounter that much concentrated reddit in one place

It's not so bad here. I live in what's kind of an old-folks neighborhood though.

uber_stoat posted:

Truth

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Did ghost stories matt die or what

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

paul_soccer12 posted:

Did ghost stories matt die or what

his last episode was 3 weeks ago so he's probably just taking a break or working on a series

or the deep state finally captured him, keep a look out for the hot new podcast Tales from the Black Site

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
He just made a post this morning saying new episode is up within 24 hours and a second one by Friday, so it's probably just another case of "tried to fit it in one, had to split it into two"

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
:)

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Cartelworld
Don’t worry, first part will be up in the next 24 hours. We are focusing on guns, oil, money laundering and private intelligence. It’ll be a look at the role of the “account man”, the trade envoys and diplomats and business figures who manage relationships between states, oil firms and intelligence agencies. We are going to use none other than Prince Andrew to understand this murky role. But we are also going to discuss dark money, offshore banking, gun running and the UK’s batshit levels of corruption (the ol’ Spider’s Web).

The second part will be up at the end of the week and we are going to expand out to look at Azerbaijan, “the Eurasian Balkans”, oil coups, the revolving door between MI6 and the fossil fuel industry, Turkish heroin trafficking, how this all ties in to the current shitshow in Ukraine, and the rise of the private intelligence operatives.

This is the land of wolves now

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

got my corkboard and yarn ready

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

i say swears online posted:

got my corkboard and yarn ready

I hesitate to recommend it because it's very difficult to follow and the audio mixing is terrible but The Farm has been doing a series on Far West Limited that is the ultimate corkboard and yarn podcast, I think it's up to like 10 episodes that are 2+ hours each.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
the farm opening and closing theme is the goofiest poo poo and I enjoy every time it plays
https://keithallendennis.bandcamp.com/track/wikiup-explicit

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/briebriejoy/status/1700283831427694680?t=Kz2qe9aAS7gUAYnt6RSjag&s=19

I listened to a pod. I still like briebriejoy, I used to like Krystal Ball, but holy poo poo I did not know her husband has the Oblivion Adoring Fan haircut omg

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
He's just a big Mark Hunt fan.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
https://twitter.com/IfBooksPod/status/1702086669774753964?s=20

dumbass lol

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

KirbyKhan posted:

https://twitter.com/briebriejoy/status/1700283831427694680?t=Kz2qe9aAS7gUAYnt6RSjag&s=19

I listened to a pod. I still like briebriejoy, I used to like Krystal Ball, but holy poo poo I did not know her husband has the Oblivion Adoring Fan haircut omg

actually that's the gay eminem haircut

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

C-Euro posted:

Is there something special about LA specific to podcasting, or is just trying to be close to celebs? A decade ago it seemed like every podcast I listened to was connected to the Bay Area in some way, did they all just move out of that city once it got too expensive/techbro'd?

Shipon posted:

lived in san diego for a decade until last year, miss it every day pretty much but i can't do my job remotely so I'm stuck up here in the bay area which is far inferior IMO

Agreed; I think the confusing part about it to me is that, if you just want to get the "California experience" and cost is no barrier, San Diego seems way nicer than LA. Both times I got to go to San Diego for work I was constantly thinking "drat this is nice as hell, I'd totally live here if I had a zillion dollars"

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

The 3 years I lived in Hillcrest in a miracle 750 dollar a month bungalo a 15 minute bike ride away from Ocean Beach in San Diego may have been the best 3 years of my life. But I doubt I'll ever be able to afford living there again.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.
I was greatly surprised to learn San Jose and San Diego were two different places

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Mr. Lobe posted:

The 3 years I lived in Hillcrest in a miracle 750 dollar a month bungalo a 15 minute bike ride away from Ocean Beach in San Diego may have been the best 3 years of my life. But I doubt I'll ever be able to afford living there again.

Jesus christ. I'm out in east county and my rent is 4x that and I don't have any of the beauty or culture.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

san diego has the huge performative conservativism thing going on. with the military bases etc you get a lot more of the loud and proud patriot types

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

claw game handjob posted:

Jesus christ. I'm out in east county and my rent is 4x that and I don't have any of the beauty or culture.

It was in the back alley of a busy gay bar. A fan was enough to drown out the noise though. I can think of no other reason it was so cheap. This was 2012-2014.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Mr. Lobe posted:

Same I miss Hillcrest every day that place ruled. Wonder what's it's like now other than hella expensive.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

this will be 1000% insufferable

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Ytlaya posted:

Agreed; I think the confusing part about it to me is that, if you just want to get the "California experience" and cost is no barrier, San Diego seems way nicer than LA. Both times I got to go to San Diego for work I was constantly thinking "drat this is nice as hell, I'd totally live here if I had a zillion dollars"

LA has better food but it's only a 2-3 hour drive so it's not the worst if you're really craving something. Plus SD has plenty of great food as well so it's not like you're missing out on a whole ton.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Dokapon Findom posted:

I’ve never seen such a negative ethic of urbanism; I recall Matt citing extensive road infrastructure as a material manifestation of the demiurge and honestly it’s a pretty good example

Pretty sure everything material is a manifestation of the demiurge

I am a demiurge expert trust me here

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Shipon posted:

LA has better food but it's only a 2-3 hour drive so it's not the worst if you're really craving something. Plus SD has plenty of great food as well so it's not like you're missing out on a whole ton.

Almost all the food I had was (very good) Chinese food, because I went there with my Chinese coworker and he brought a list of Chinese restaurants he wanted to visit (that Chinese internet and some friend of his from university had recommended to him).

This reminds me that I need to get in touch with that guy again. Been a couple years since I've spoke n with him; he left to work somewhere else in 2019. Extremely lazy guy, which I appreciated because it made me feel more normal for also being lazy.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
My wife once went to a conference in San Diego and took some really cute pictures of seals.

So this is how they're ending the show huh. What a ride.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

C-Euro posted:

My wife once went to a conference in San Diego and took some really cute pictures of seals.

So this is how they're ending the show huh. What a ride.

your wife is great for just taking pics, too many tourists were aggressive and pissed off the seals so the beach they’re on is now permanently closed to prevent a seal from territorially mauling somebody

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

Good luck to Anna from Red Scare, Tim Dillon, Grimes and Bari Weiss in tonight's debate ""Has The Gender Revolution Failed"

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
I will never be able to dislodge the mental image of Bari Weiss just being Stav with hair

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Bastard Tetris posted:

I will never be able to dislodge the mental image of Bari Weiss just being Stav with hair

I hadn’t heard that until now, and I can’t stop laughing even though it’s very late and I need to sleep.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

KirbyKhan posted:

What's wrong with Kristal Ball? I'm seriously asking, I don't know much about her but she's always seemed alright to me.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.

ClassActionFursuit posted:

What's wrong with Kristal Ball? I'm seriously asking, I don't know much about her but she's always seemed alright to me.

She has the most joke type name a person could possibly have, it’s at odds with the seriousness of anything being discussed

Squashy
Dec 24, 2005

150cc of psilocybinic power
"I might not listen to this one right away. I had my fill of lefty white guys who hate Hillary back in 2016, no need to relive it. I do appreciate Michael’s efforts to show the other side, though!"

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Squashy posted:

"I might not listen to this one right away. I had my fill of lefty white guys who hate Hillary back in 2016, no need to relive it. I do appreciate Michael’s efforts to show the other side, though!"

throw it in the trash

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

That IBCK Patreon ep is worse than you're imagining.

The one good thing one could say is that Peter at least has an accurate read on the topic and of politics in general. That comes out in the first fifteen minutes or so. On to the bad...

Michael is as hopeless as one would suspect. Terminally lib-brained with all of the worst symptoms of liberalism such as belief in institutions, a complete lack of understanding of the dynamics of power, and a myopic view of politics as sport he sets about trying to convince Michael (and the audience? It's unclear if either Peter or Michael ever considered why anyone would listen to this) that the email scandal wasn't that bad.

He says she's the most maligned politician in history, a victim of a decades-long propaganda campaign when all she's ever been is a competent center-left technocrat. To his credit this is where Peter pushes back mentioning that she's an archetypal neocon guilty of many crimes with the blood of millions on her hands. Michael mostly ignores this and continues to recount the email scandal and relitigate the 2016 election.

Michael's argument is that the entire scandal is a technical rule violation and he's not going to learn the specifics of something technical enough to understand it. His take on OPSEC, security procedures in general, information technology security specifically, and this situation is that it seemed to work out fine in the end so it must've been good all along.

His take is that it is entirely the fault of the MSM and the NYT specifically that this became a scandal of any kind and it was the coverage that threw the election. After about twenty minutes in Peter has stopped pushing back and is limited to half-hearted replies like "Sure" and "Oh yeah" while Michael continues to rail on.

At the very end Peter does suggest that perhaps had the candidate not been so weak that a non-scandal being overreported in the New York Times would cause her to lose in Wisconsin, maybe she shouldn't have been the candidate, to which Michael throws his hands up and retreats to the old canard that Peter (and by extension voters) just keep being wrong.

I cannot imagine the kind of person who would find this entertaining to listen to. The only thing I got out of this 82 minute experience is the discovery that even in 2023 libs still have absolutely no idea what happened in 2016. Like it's wild the amount of mental gymnastics on display to deny not just the meaning and forces at work behind the election but in a lot of places even the facts and the timeline of events.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'll never understand why they don't understand that people don't like being told that they're morally obligated to adore some public figure. People hate that poo poo.

I can only guess that it's because most of the people pushing this poo poo are insiders in a system where thinking the way you're told to think leads to immediate material rewards.