Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Cacator posted:

Sounds like a Michael Mann film!

Him flexing having that part in Black Hat where a character developing conversation happens via two people sitting right by each other but it's through their mics because they're on a very loud helicopter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

In the middle of this authentic corporate fundraising buzzwords gibberish is news on a Brightburn sequel and other things

quote:

The duo behind Brightburn producer The H Collective are launching H3 Entertainment, a company they say will look to integrate the Metaverse, Web3 and AI into a slate of films.

According to its founders Mark Rau and Kent Huang, at a time of industry sensitivity around the use of AI, the model will “respect professionals and fans while promoting responsible technology integration”.

Rau tells us that H3 Entertainment intends to incorporate new technology into the production process of projects it has in development, including a sequel to horror movie Brightburn (the IP is co-owned by H Collective and fellow producer James Gunn), a TV series about the highs and lows of the crypto trend, The Classic of the Mountains and the Seas, Shadow Song, about the emigration of Jews to Shanghai during WWII, and family movie Prince Of The Seas.

The new company, which is capitalized by seed investors based in London, Singapore and Hong Kong, is itself based in Dubai and Hong Kong with a headcount of five people. Separately, The H Collective remains in operation.

H3 says its aim is to “introduce new revenue avenues through Web3 and the Metaverse, creating a fairer and more inclusive profit-sharing entertainment model for stakeholders like talent, fans, and IP holders to benefit and participate. Additionally, H3 Entertainment is developing ways to utilize AI to efficiently process entertainment data as well as introduce responsible usage of AI elements into the creative process.”

Rau and Huang, co-founders of The H Collective (THC), added: “H3 is responding to shifts in the industry, aiming for a balanced and equitable approach to the current entertainment production process”.

H Collective previously had a partnership with Rakuten but that is no longer moving forward. The company’s slate has also included a fourth installment in the xXx franchise but there’s no update on progress on that project.

https://deadline.com/2023/09/brightburn-sequel-hcollective-ai-web3-metaverse-company-1235542789/

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Ugh, why.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Brightburn loving sucked. It had no interest in what makes successful 'what if superman was bad' story work: The evil supermen (Omni-Man and Homelander for instance) don't think they're evil. They think they're good. Omni-Man because he's executing a pretty comprehensive and successful (albeit ghastly) ideology and Homelander because, well, lots of people like him and he's a narcissist, so he must be good. Someone doing evil because they're evil is boring. Someone doing it because they think they're on the right side is inherently pretty compelling.

Someone in this thread, I think (or possibly the comic book or Snyder thread) pointed out that straightforwardly doing evil tends to take one form (robbing, murdering and so on) while doing good can take countless forms. Superman himself, in Man of Steel and BvS, struggles to decide exactly how to do good. Omni Man and Homelander have both chosen ways of 'doing good' but have chosen poorly. They're both possible outcomes for Superman if things had shaken out a little differently. Omni Man is pretty specifically Superman if he'd sided with Zod. Homelander is who he might be if he'd gotten corporate sponsorship as a child.

By contrast, the kid in Brightburn is just evil. No motive, no end game, certainly not in the film's run time. He kills for petty or reactive or indeed unknown reasons. There's no real way to tell an interesting story there. It'd be like trying to actually make Jason the main character. The events of the first film should have been compressed into the first twenty minutes. Then you cut to the character years later. Murdering or terrorising people with impunity has lost its luster and he's trying to figure out what to do with his immense power.

All we're left with is 'what if a slasher movie had an actually superhuman killer instead of an implicitly superhuman one' and it makes for a few effective kills and literally nothing else worth talking about. Or a version of 'we need to talk about Kevin' that's even less interesting. 'Kevin' at least had some good performances.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Never saw bright burn but it had a really good eye trauma scene

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

Never saw bright burn but it had a really good eye trauma scene

If you've watched a youtube video called something like 'Brightburn all powers/kills' you've seen everything worthwhile in the film.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah I never went to go see it for that reason. Also that Gunn had little hand in making it kinda capped my interest.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I saw it on streaming and I wished I could get my money back. "What if a child psychopath had Superman's powers?" Well, he does whatever the gently caress he wants and gets away with it. What an interesting premise. *finger spin*

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That sounds like it could be fun horror movie though if it got way more creative with the kills

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
just go play Injustice

that has fatalities right

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Nope. Not fun ones at least like ripping spines out of butts

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

That sounds like it could be fun horror movie though if it got way more creative with the kills

Or thought on a much bigger scale. Slasher movies are set in small areas because of the physical limitations of a guy with a knife, and you still have to get a little creative to explain how he kills so many people. A psychopathic superman has no physical limitations. You can do literally anything.

Alan Smithee posted:

just go play Injustice

that has fatalities right

New Mortal Kombat has Homelander, Omni Man and Peacemaker as guest characters, so I imagine we'll get some pretty insane poo poo.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’d rather have a slasher with interesting kills tbh. i haven’t seen that but I have seen evil superheroes before and I’m not super interested in the concept unless they push it somewhere as deeply interesting and entertaining as Homelander

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

I’d rather have a slasher with interesting kills tbh. i haven’t seen that but I have seen evil superheroes before and I’m not super interested in the concept unless they push it somewhere as deeply interesting and entertaining as Homelander

Oh, i'm still thinking slasher, but set somewhere other than 'small town.'

Think about the way Predator is, on one level, a straightforward slasher, but set in the middle of the ultimate 80s action movie. How it's both a great genre film and a commentary on two different genres at the same time. Having the killer be superman is blank cheque to have the setting and victims be anyone you want.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Snowman_McK posted:

Brightburn loving sucked. It had no interest in what makes successful 'what if superman was bad' story work: The evil supermen (Omni-Man and Homelander for instance) don't think they're evil. They think they're good. Omni-Man because he's executing a pretty comprehensive and successful (albeit ghastly) ideology and Homelander because, well, lots of people like him and he's a narcissist, so he must be good. Someone doing evil because they're evil is boring. Someone doing it because they think they're on the right side is inherently pretty compelling.

Someone in this thread, I think (or possibly the comic book or Snyder thread) pointed out that straightforwardly doing evil tends to take one form (robbing, murdering and so on) while doing good can take countless forms. Superman himself, in Man of Steel and BvS, struggles to decide exactly how to do good. Omni Man and Homelander have both chosen ways of 'doing good' but have chosen poorly. They're both possible outcomes for Superman if things had shaken out a little differently. Omni Man is pretty specifically Superman if he'd sided with Zod. Homelander is who he might be if he'd gotten corporate sponsorship as a child.

By contrast, the kid in Brightburn is just evil. No motive, no end game, certainly not in the film's run time. He kills for petty or reactive or indeed unknown reasons. There's no real way to tell an interesting story there. It'd be like trying to actually make Jason the main character. The events of the first film should have been compressed into the first twenty minutes. Then you cut to the character years later. Murdering or terrorising people with impunity has lost its luster and he's trying to figure out what to do with his immense power.

All we're left with is 'what if a slasher movie had an actually superhuman killer instead of an implicitly superhuman one' and it makes for a few effective kills and literally nothing else worth talking about. Or a version of 'we need to talk about Kevin' that's even less interesting. 'Kevin' at least had some good performances.

Yeah, the kid goes from an actual character to just a mindlessly evil entity overnight. There still could have been an interesting story with his parents trying to deal with the sudden change, but its more interested in focusing on the kid and it being a slasher film.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Snowman_McK posted:

Think about the way Predator is, on one level, a straightforward slasher, but set in the middle of the ultimate 80s action movie. How it's both a great genre film and a commentary on two different genres at the same time. Having the killer be superman is blank cheque to have the setting and victims be anyone you want.

I’d be down with this

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Snowman_McK posted:

Yeah, I guess it is an interesting premise, it was just executed in the most uninteresting, unimaginative way.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The kid is basically Goku if he hadn't got brain damage to erase his Saiyan genocidal programming.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

CelticPredator posted:

I’d rather have a slasher with interesting kills tbh.

Bring back the final destination series

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s coming back!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The thing is, if you do "Superman but evil", you have something like the story that inspired the character in the first place. Siegel and Shuster (or just one of them, I forget) read a story called Gladiator, which was a then-not-atypical pulp sci-fi thing about a man getting godlike powers and becoming a dangerous megalomaniac. They were the ones who thought, "Well wait, what if someone had this power and used it for good?"

Obviously stories about super-powerful bad guys still work but it's not necessarily made more interesting by giving them a cape and saying "doesn't this remind you of a certain someone we don't have the rights to"?

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

CelticPredator posted:

It’s coming back!

That rules. I still refuse to drive behind trucks bearing logs up to this day even though the bts revealed they had to cg the logs because the real things don't bounce as hard killing people

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

The Saddest Rhino posted:

That rules. I still refuse to drive behind trucks bearing logs up to this day even though the bts revealed they had to cg the logs because the real things don't bounce as hard killing people

How many people did the SF team fail to kill with falling logs before they figured that one out???

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

i didnt know it was directed by john landis

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Jeffrey Reddick (FD's creator and writer of 1&2) is a friend, and he's still delighted whenever anyone tells him they don't drive behind log trucks because of him.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

i drive alongside them where it is safest

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Payndz posted:

Jeffrey Reddick (FD's creator and writer of 1&2) is a friend, and he's still delighted whenever anyone tells him they don't drive behind log trucks because of him.

I advised a colleague recently, who was flying to Cape Verde on her jolly, to check out the first one.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Alan Smithee posted:

i drive alongside them where it is safest

If the bands start breaking and the logs threaten to spill out, you can drive under the trailer like in Christmas Vacation!

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

"Evil superhero" is dumb because we have those, they're called supervillains.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I still maintain that the best "evil" Superman is Captain Amazing from Mystery Man, because he's a brand-obsessed corporate tool who does nothing about the source of a crisis and in fact manufactures problems that he can look good solving. That's the banality of evil, to me: to be able to do real good and use it for self enrichment.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I still maintain that the best "evil" Superman is Captain Amazing from Mystery Man, because he's a brand-obsessed corporate tool who does nothing about the source of a crisis and in fact manufactures problems that he can look good solving. That's the banality of evil, to me: to be able to do real good and use it for self enrichment.

That's essentially the overall theme of The Boys too.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Enos Cabell posted:

That's essentially the overall theme of The Boys too.

Yeah but they do too much edgelord poo poo. I know it's comic books but the thing about Captain Amazing is that he's not actually doing anything particularly bad (from his perspective), but his "brand management action plan" puts people in terrible danger.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I really need to revisit Mystery Men, don't think I've seen it again since opening night.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

It's mostly guilty of being "pretty good" despite having an absolutely bonkers cast.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Snowman_McK posted:

Or thought on a much bigger scale. Slasher movies are set in small areas because of the physical limitations of a guy with a knife, and you still have to get a little creative to explain how he kills so many people. A psychopathic superman has no physical limitations. You can do literally anything.

Miracleman took this to its logical conclusion. Insane-o stuff.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

The concept of "evil Superman" is always at its best when it's the phase when they're drunk on power but mostly express that in petty assholish pranks no one can stop, like straightening the leaning tower of Pisa or laser-eyeing silly mustaches onto Mount Rushmore or whatever. It's only when they run out of creative mischief and start getting bored that it devolves into "tyrannical god-king of a fascist New World Order" or "nihilistically killing people for fun like a little kid stepping on ants"

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
I watched Mystery Men somewhat recently and it’s a really weird beast. The first and third acts look pretty decent with some nice matte paintings and visuals that do a good job evoking this weirdly dark surrealist look that I still remember after all this time. But the entire middle chunk of the movie feels like they just ran out of budget and slotted in parts of one of those lovely Adam Sandler comedies to get the runtime to feature length. It’s almost entirely a bunch of cheap lowbrow gags in broad daylight alternating between a forest and what might have been the backyard of an actual crew member with little to none of the sfx the first act had. I remember one scene in particular, I think it was with the bowler girl right after the hero tryouts, and it looks so randomly out of place bad like it was shot on a cheap-rear end consumer grade hand camera or something. It’s blurry, the audios bad, the grading is weird - and then in the very next scene everything was back to normal.

It’s so weird, I can only imagine there were some budget issues going on behind the scenes, like they blew all their money on Smash Mouth or something like that.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
When Mystery Men came out Smash Mouth was only known for "Walkin' on the Sun" which got popular because of American Werewolf in Paris a year earlier. I doubt they cost that much at the time.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Pope Corky the IX posted:

When Mystery Men came out Smash Mouth was only known for "Walkin' on the Sun" which got popular because of American Werewolf in Paris a year earlier. I doubt they cost that much at the time.

I refuse to believe American Werewolf in Paris made anything popular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
More like it was on the soundtrack and pushed hard on the radio.