Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Tesseraction posted:

Tending to the pastoral countryside by raising animals as cheaply as possible before bolt gunning them as soon as they reach adulthood and sending their corpse to be cut up and doled out for us to eat.

I may have read to much sci-fi, but my mind went to a different Bolt Gun.

Instant image of a farmer riding a jeep a feild firing micro-rockets into cows screaming "INSTANT MINCE", meanwhile in the local pub, a bunch of old men in cloth hats listen to the moos and booms rattling the windows and say things like "Ain't nowt like the country, y'd wouldn't hear sounds like that down in Londun"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

DreddyMatt posted:

On the whole farmers are probably a net positive.
Salute tractors as they drive past

Actually the opposite. gently caress farmers and gently caress farmland. The countryside as its sold to us is farmland, industrial land polluted and abused as much as a factory site. The only good we get out of farmers is when they're forced to do something and then they package it up and sell it back to us as a great thing they did.

Every time a town or village floods it's farmers to blame, often a singular oval office.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

My baneblade is licensed, I need it for farming purposes.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Harvesting my crops with a giant diesel Beyblade.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

What the tories mean is "We will tell the school boards to make a bunch of cuts (because we're not loving paying for it), raise the money for 1,000 schools, give 90% of it to one of our mates for consultancy fees, and in eight years one portakabin will be built, and instantly condemned because the new cheap material they used has been found to be worse than reinforced aerated asbestos."

Trashfuture had the WTYP hosts on to talk about RAAC last episode (the free one), it was pretty good. And reassuringly for 99 confirmed that aerated concrete is mostly alright, it's just when you put big bits of steel in it with no way of getting to or maintaining it, it starts to lose its grip over time, which is precisely as bad as it sounds.

The aerated concrete itself is usually fine though as long as its covered up.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Sep 14, 2023

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Aramoro posted:

Actually the opposite. gently caress farmers and gently caress farmland. The countryside as its sold to us is farmland, industrial land polluted and abused as much as a factory site.

It's why the concept of wilderness feels so foreign to so many people here. You look at stuff in the US (since we consume so much US media) and there are massive open areas that might have 'an owner' but you know there's nobody that ever goes there or does anything with it.

I am glad to have had the Scottish highlands in my life since it feels like the closest we get.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

It's why the concept of wilderness feels so foreign to so many people here. You look at stuff in the US (since we consume so much US media) and there are massive open areas that might have 'an owner' but you know there's nobody that ever goes there or does anything with it.

I am glad to have had the Scottish highlands in my life since it feels like the closest we get.

I thought anyone who goes into the US wilderness gets brutally murdered? Or is that just NCIS / CSI / Criminal Intent etc?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Well either you go into the wilderness and get killed by a man who wears you as clothing or you go into the cities where you get killed by an 18 year old with an AR-15 and zero bitches.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Portakabin school does kick rear end though.

I did the whole back half of primary school in portakabins on the playing field because some hero burnt the school down on the last night of half term, and after an extra 2 weeks off while they put the portakabins up it took them 4 years to get round to rebuilding it.

Way more outside time than boring rear end ‘indoor’ school since every other classroom and building requires a walk around the field to get there.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Trashfuture had the WTYP hosts on to talk about RAAC last episode (the free one), it was pretty good. And reassuringly for 99 confirmed that aerated concrete is mostly alright, it's just when you put big bits of steel in it with no way of getting to or maintaining it, it starts to lose its grip over time, which is precisely as bad as it sounds.

The aerated concrete itself is usually fine though as long as its covered up.

spent a bit of time on this at work, and the structural engineers said the big problems occurred with water ingress - rusting the steels and causing it to blow and separate from the concrete, and making it much weaker. Longer spans of raac start to sag and buckle.

e- This is why domestic areas won't be as badly affected as you don't get the the kind of 15 foot plus spans between supports that you see in places like libraries and hospitals.

kecske fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Sep 14, 2023

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

In retrospect maybe putting a bunch of rusting metal exposed to water was a bad idea.

Time to move on to my next fantastic idea: lithium rebar reinforced concrete.

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
MY LACK OF KNOWLEDGE OF CURRENT EVENTS IS EXCEEDED ONLY BY MY UNQUENCHABLE THIRST FOR PISS. FUK U AMERIKKKA!!

Aramoro posted:

Actually the opposite. gently caress farmers and gently caress farmland. The countryside as its sold to us is farmland, industrial land polluted and abused as much as a factory site. The only good we get out of farmers is when they're forced to do something and then they package it up and sell it back to us as a great thing they did.

Every time a town or village floods it's farmers to blame, often a singular oval office.

I quite like eating food, so I'm gonna have to disagree

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Angrymog posted:

There doesn't seem to be one, but there's a few crochet patterns.

It's amazing the number of sites you can find selling it just searching on that pic, but I can't figure out which is the original...

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Tesseraction posted:

Well either you go into the wilderness and get killed by a man who wears you as clothing or you go into the cities where you get killed by an 18 year old with an AR-15 and zero bitches.

Does the wilderness killer get bitches. This is important.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I was recently introduced to the concept of "galbestos" which is like, steel with asbestos mixed in during the galvanization process.

Which mostly seems to result in steel which rusts underneath the galvanized layer and also the layer then flakes off in big lumps and also it's full of asbestos, lmao.

All the problems of failed encasing as a method of rustproofing and also the encasing is a respiratory hazard, brilliant work industry, 10/10 product.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

kecske posted:

spent a bit of time on this at work, and the structural engineers said the big problems occurred with water ingress - rusting the steels and causing it to blow and separate from the concrete, and making it much weaker. Longer spans of raac start to sag and buckle.

e- This is why domestic areas won't be as badly affected as you don't get the the kind of 15 foot plus spans between supports that you see in places like libraries and hospitals.

Here's a builder giving a fuller explanation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4wOH5g_yzQ

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

OwlFancier posted:

I was recently introduced to the concept of "galbestos" which is like, steel with asbestos mixed in during the galvanization process.

Which mostly seems to result in steel which rusts underneath the galvanized layer and also the layer then flakes off in big lumps and also it's full of asbestos, lmao.

All the problems of failed encasing as a method of rustproofing and also the encasing is a respiratory hazard, brilliant work industry, 10/10 product.

Maybe they should try mixing some uranium in there as well.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I can't believe my anthrax-laced autoclaved aerated concrete has done this damage!

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Skull Servant posted:

Does the wilderness killer get bitches. This is important.

depends.... has he caught u

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tesseraction posted:

I can't believe my anthrax-laced autoclaved aerated concrete has done this damage!
Thomas Midgley Jr has entered the chat.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

DreddyMatt posted:

I quite like eating food, so I'm gonna have to disagree

Your love of food doesn't stop farmers being cunts. There's even a better way, you can produce more food more efficiently it's just that we choose not to. Right now 70% of the UK is agricultural land, and it produces about 60% of our domestic food usage. 40% of that land is used just to feed livestock. By reducing our dependancy on livestock we actually produce even more food for people.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

It’s the stuff they built Summerland out of, which apparently gave the structure all the magic of asbestos and none of its usual fire-proofing qualities.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Lol. Sick burn

https://twitter.com/steven_swinford/status/1702279898880987273?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
Political Editor of The Times.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Just thought about "Stonger" Together for the first time in ages and started giggling to myself.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Ken is somehow even funnier, it's like Keith twice removed.

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
MY LACK OF KNOWLEDGE OF CURRENT EVENTS IS EXCEEDED ONLY BY MY UNQUENCHABLE THIRST FOR PISS. FUK U AMERIKKKA!!

Aramoro posted:

Your love of food doesn't stop farmers being cunts. There's even a better way, you can produce more food more efficiently it's just that we choose not to. Right now 70% of the UK is agricultural land, and it produces about 60% of our domestic food usage. 40% of that land is used just to feed livestock. By reducing our dependancy on livestock we actually produce even more food for people.

Nationally forced veganism sounds pretty poo poo

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

DreddyMatt posted:

Most other countries: Here's a salad with 20 different ingredients!
UK/Ireland: Here's a few slices of romaine lettuce, half a boiled egg and small tomato.

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

The top 1% of ducks have control of 99.9% of the bread.

This is just a reference to Ed Balls no longer being an MP.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Ken is somehow even funnier, it's like Keith twice removed.

Ken Stonger, Twice Wronger

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

DreddyMatt posted:

That's the best part, you don't need to be!

I'm not vegan and I'm not advocating that everyone should be. Just a more balanced diet with less food waste and we're good. We have the tools, just lack the will. Mostly because of people like yourself it has to be said.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Aramoro posted:

Grow all crops in vertical farms and synthetic meat in vats close to population centres, rewild 70% of country, imo

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Eat the Welsh.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

happyhippy posted:

Most other countries: Here's a salad with 20 different ingredients!
UK/Ireland: Here's a few slices of romaine lettuce, half a boiled egg and small tomato.

Back in the 70s my grandmothers idea of a salad was:
a cold potato still in its skin,
a whole scallion,
a whole tomato
a slice of ham
a bottle of Salad Cream for the discerning eater.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Needs more aspic.

happyhippy posted:

Eat the Welsh.
The last time Britain claimed to be self sufficient in food it started off with slave uprisings in the West Indies and food riots in Wales, had the cavalry charge on Manchester, and ended with the Scottish Highlands being ethnically cleansed for livestock and a third of Ireland starving to death, so treating any national talk of food autarky the same as if they'd suggested eating the Welsh wouldn't be too far off.

"We could grow all of our own..." should be the national equivalent of "Hitler had some good ideas about..."

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

happyhippy posted:

Eat the Welsh.

Hey, we were here first Saxon boy, you get in the oven.

Aramoro posted:

That's the best part, you don't need to be!

I'm not vegan and I'm not advocating that everyone should be. Just a more balanced diet with less food waste and we're good. We have the tools, just lack the will. Mostly because of people like yourself it has to be said.

The very concept of having a dinner without any meat makes a lot of people melt, it's so bizarre.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

We could grow all our own Jewish people??

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

Diet Crack posted:

Wasn't pink actually a masculine colour until feminism came along?

I could be wrong but as far as I know pink was THE manly colour for 100s of years, at least in Christendom, because of knights.

Short version, wearing armour requires layers and a lot of them at the start are cotton shirts and padding, unless you were a super duper rich knight and could afford a silk shirt to protect against arrows and other piercings. Blood splashes and gets everywhere (Just ask any modern surgeon) and battle is tremendously physically taxing. Thus your reddened cottons et al would be washed out by your sweat, rendering a more pink hue. This made pink the colour of "I murder folks professionally" and manly as hell and still has a holdout in business, cf, pink shirts.

Or it could be a disproven story like the colour progression of belts in most martial arts.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Reading "saxon boy" in the same voice as "ed boy" from ed edd and eddy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tesseraction posted:

We could grow all our own Jewish people??
The Victorians tried that too and it just ended up racist.