Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Powershift posted:

Here's the new Nissan Maxima

Just kidding, it's actually another 5500lb Lotus.

At least it's true to Colin Chapman's vision, with air suspension standard so you don't have to feel bumps in the road.

A Lotus with more than 2 seats and a roofline above your midsection is terrible car poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Powershift posted:

At least it's true to Colin Chapman's vision, with air suspension standard so you don't have to feel bumps in the road.

Almost got me, even though I saw the article about it on Ars a few days ago. https://arstechnica.com/cars/2023/09/lotus-is-the-latest-to-show-off-a-high-powered-electric-sedan-the-emeya/

quote:

As the Emeya only goes into production next year, Lotus was not prepared to discuss some technical details like the car's mass. We do know it's targeting up to 905 hp (675 kW) and 726 lb-ft (985 Nm) for the most powerful variant, which should have a 0-62 mph (0-100 km/h) time of under 2.8 seconds. The motors are permanent magnet designs, and the rear drive unit contains a two-speed transmission, like the Porsche Taycan.

The 102-kWh lithium-ion battery pack runs at 800 V and can DC fast charge from 10-80 percent in 18 minutes if connected to a 350 kW fast charger.

Spec look good but kind of indistinguishable from generic "expensive EV sedan"

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

skipdogg posted:

A half assed example, back in the late 90's I think Dodge/Chrysler was having issues with transmissions failing left and right. They designed the drat thing to have a 30K mile service interval. Who is going to buy a new car and then service the transmission every 30K. So when these things started failing around the 60K+ mark, they got a reputation for building lovely transmissions.

Chrysler already had a reputation for lovely transmissions long before the late '90s, and they weren't the only ones. Pretty much all of the early overdrive automatics from the domestics were unmitigated dogshit - we had two Grand Voyagers that didn't even make it to that first interval before making GBS threads the automatic.

GM wasn't any better. The second GV got replaced with a '97 Suburban with a 4L60E that grenaded at 40k, despite GM having built variants of that transmission for 15 years by then.

Or how about GM's early launches of Dexcool and discovering only after shipping it in millions of cars that it ate gaskets?

Poor maintenance doesn't help but there was a lot of cheapness engineered into 1990s domestic products and you could not maintain your way around that.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

skipdogg posted:

I've always wonder how much of Toyota's reputation is due to just the folks who buy Toyota's tend to take very good care of the their cars when it comes to maintenance.

Don't get me wrong, I 100% believe Toyota builds a great product, but I think sometimes other manufacturers get a bad rap because of folks not following the maintenance schedule.

A half assed example, back in the late 90's I think Dodge/Chrysler was having issues with transmissions failing left and right. They designed the drat thing to have a 30K mile service interval. Who is going to buy a new car and then service the transmission every 30K. So when these things started failing around the 60K+ mark, they got a reputation for building lovely transmissions.

Was the Chevy Cavalier a lovely vehicle, or did the target market of the Chevy Cavalier not take care of their cars properly and turned them into lovely vehicles? Probably both.

I’d bet it’s less the Market that Buys It and more the engineering. There so many corollas on the highways all around the world, and there have been for decades. I’d bet money that the owners are not more attentive to car maintenance than the average car owner since they are the average car owner.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Olympic Mathlete posted:

A Lotus with more than 2 seats and a roofline above your midsection is terrible car poo poo.

in a world where we have Porsche, Ferrari, and Lambo SUV's who's to say that Lotus can't make one also.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

GlassEye-Boy posted:

in a world where we have Porsche, Ferrari, and Lambo SUV's who's to say that Lotus can't make one also.

Me, I did so in the post you quoted. :clint:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

GlassEye-Boy posted:

Only one of those is worth poo poo and latterly the Cayenne is losing what made it such an interesting and actually decent vehicle.

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013

Powershift posted:

Lotus Enema

nollij
Aug 30, 2006

Wait, wait, wait...

When did this happen?!?
Is there a Dave Smith Motors equivalent for Toyota?

I dont mind flying across the country to pick up a car if it is exactly what I want, at a fair price, without any bullshit, and pretty much guaranteed allocation.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

nollij posted:

Is there a Dave Smith Motors equivalent for Toyota?

I dont mind flying across the country to pick up a car if it is exactly what I want, at a fair price, without any bullshit, and pretty much guaranteed allocation.

wilfredmerriweather had good luck with Mark Miller Toyota in Salt Lake City when looking for a Corolla GR, got it at MSRP a few months ago. Worked with Erin.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Only one of those is worth poo poo and latterly the Cayenne is losing what made it such an interesting and actually decent vehicle.

The Ferrari has a V12 and is reviewing extremely well. Not that I don't think it's stupid as gently caress but they didn't phone it in quite as hard.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

KillHour posted:

The Ferrari has a V12 and is reviewing extremely well. Not that I don't think it's stupid as gently caress but they didn't phone it in quite as hard.

I mean the lotus is a sub 3 second 0-60, not sure how much more power you need. Seems like a pretty complete package, hardly phoning it in.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

IOwnCalculus posted:

GM wasn't any better. The second GV got replaced with a '97 Suburban with a 4L60E that grenaded at 40k, despite GM having built variants of that transmission for 15 years by then.

The 4L60 was just wildly overmatched in that application. I had one in an LT1 Camaro that I [i]flogged[i] for years and never had any issues at all; It’s a pretty reliable transmission when it’s not bolted into 5200lbs of steel. Later Subbies got the 4L80 series, which is what they should have had from the start.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

GlassEye-Boy posted:

I mean the lotus is a sub 3 second 0-60, not sure how much more power you need. Seems like a pretty complete package, hardly phoning it in.
Need more to go under 1 second.

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2023/09/this-student-built-ev-just-set-a-new-world-record-for-0-62-mph/?comments=1&comments-page=2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvoFemftA34

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a45101452/2024-ford-f-150-pickup-refresh-details/

Well, Ford's about to sell a fuckton of hybrids, here's hoping they've got their supply chain straightened out.

quote:

Ford is repositioning the PowerBoost for 2024, bringing the hybrid model into the spotlight. Currently hybrids comprise 10 percent of F-150 sales, but the automaker aims to double the production mix of the 430-hp twin-turbo 3.5-liter V-6 hybrid. And although Ford hasn't officially released pricing yet, the company announced that the PowerBoost will now start at the same price as the gas-only 400-hp EcoBoost 3.5-liter engine.

With 570 pound-feet of torque, the hybrid has the highest horsepower and torque figures in the lineup—apart from the Raptor models, of course. PowerBoost-equipped F-150s also come standard with Pro Power Onboard, a 2.4-kW inverter in the bed that can supply juice to everything from cooking accessories to power tools. Ford now touts the fact that buyers won't have to pay more for extra power and Pro Power Onboard; we wonder how many shoppers will forgo those features for the gas-only 3.5-liter.

I do feel like although the hybrid and non-hybrid 3.5T will have the same MSRP, actual transaction prices in the real world will be lower on the non-hybrid. Ford can play with incentives and it must be cheaper for them to build a non-hybrid. I'm also surprised that the old 3.3L Cyclone engine is getting fully retired, I know that it didn't sell to consumers but I assumed that they'd keep a cheap V6 around for fleet work. I guess that either fleet sales don't make up a huge part of F150 sales, or the better EPA fuel economy of the 2.7T helps Ford's CAFE ratings more than the extra cost of the two turbochargers.

In the real world, I've seen reports that the 3.3L V6 gets better fuel economy than the 2.7L Ecoboost motor, especially when both have the 10-spd transmission, but now it's dead.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Top 20 discounted models.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Twerk from Home posted:

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a45101452/2024-ford-f-150-pickup-refresh-details/

Well, Ford's about to sell a fuckton of hybrids, here's hoping they've got their supply chain straightened out.

I do feel like although the hybrid and non-hybrid 3.5T will have the same MSRP, actual transaction prices in the real world will be lower on the non-hybrid. Ford can play with incentives and it must be cheaper for them to build a non-hybrid. I'm also surprised that the old 3.3L Cyclone engine is getting fully retired, I know that it didn't sell to consumers but I assumed that they'd keep a cheap V6 around for fleet work. I guess that either fleet sales don't make up a huge part of F150 sales, or the better EPA fuel economy of the 2.7T helps Ford's CAFE ratings more than the extra cost of the two turbochargers.

In the real world, I've seen reports that the 3.3L V6 gets better fuel economy than the 2.7L Ecoboost motor, especially when both have the 10-spd transmission, but now it's dead.

I want to know where the Hybrid Expedition is

Scrungus
Nov 21, 2022
Ugh I wish they would hybridize ANY of the other engines.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Is it really a Lotus if it has more than 2 seats?

(Ok, maybe I could accept 3)

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.

davecrazy posted:

I initially misread this as ‘discontinued’ and got my hopes up.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
That's top 20 changes in ATP not discounts, to be super pedantic.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

davecrazy posted:

Just lol at car prices . That’s absurd

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

That's top 20 changes in ATP not discounts, to be super pedantic.

I rolled my eyes pretty hard when I saw who made the graphic.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Twerk from Home posted:

A shame they retired all their cool models

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

davecrazy posted:

Makes me feel good that when my lease is up in 15 months an EV will be a possibility finally! Last time was when there were no cars and the EV market was brutal.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Would like to see that % drop on the Ioniq5 N when it finally shows up at dealerships :classiclol:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Not a new car at all but god drat;

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/KdbAEROB/2014-cadillac-cts-v-wagon

6MT CTS-V Wagon, MSRP $70K... Sold for $67K.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Franco Caution posted:

Would like to see that % drop on the Ioniq5 N when it finally shows up at dealerships :classiclol:

Would like to see that drop in the Audis lol.

My wife wants the Q8 E Tron and those are 80 loving thousand dollars. They have plenty of them in stock at least.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Sab669 posted:

Not a new car at all but god drat;

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/KdbAEROB/2014-cadillac-cts-v-wagon

6MT CTS-V Wagon, MSRP $70K... Sold for $67K.

70k in 2013 is now 92k

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

I kick myself almost nightly for not buying a brand new 6MT CST-V wagon in black with Recaros. The dealership was going to give me like $9K off MSRP as it wasnt moving, but and I just couldnt bring myself to spend that much on a car at the time.

I know the wagons are going for crazy. Are the coupes also going for crazy costs too? I dont see or hear about the coupe versions as much.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I kinda feel the same way about the SS. It would be a huge pain in the rear end to park and still looks like a Malibu tho

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Everyone should own a performance sedan.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

davecrazy posted:

Everyone should own a performance wagon.

:hmmyes:

Should have scooped an AMG wagon when they were available. Bought a Land Cruiser instead :v:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

davecrazy posted:

Tbf I bought an e39 m5 for like half as much money

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

70k in 2013 is now 92k

Even if you want to say it lost ~25% of its inflation-adjusted MSRP after a decade, that's still really loving good for what is essentially "just" a wagon with a big rear end motor. How many cars today do you think you could still get ~75% of sticker price for in another 10 years?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Enterprise is telling me a Nissan kick is an suv and an 20$ upgrade over a Altima

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

davecrazy posted:

I think I’ll have a really hard time ever letting go of our RS4.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Would like to see that drop in the Audis lol.

My wife wants the Q8 E Tron and those are 80 loving thousand dollars. They have plenty of them in stock at least.

Audi E Trons are probably the coolest looking new cars around.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I rented an Audi yesterday

What does “Quattro” mean ?

It was an a4. It was small and boring. The touch screen was too far away and hard to use. Idk. Just boring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

euphronius posted:

What does “Quattro” mean ?

Four