Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
I'd probably keep using this Specialized Crossroads 2.0 I got last year as my full size bike if it didn't have a 3x7 drivetrain that I loving hate. Gonna replace it with a 1x gravel bike I think, just gotta figure out which one. Kinda want one with drop bars but I've never used them before so trying to figure out a bike where they're not that aggressively positioned...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Clark Nova posted:

I wish they'd make hybrid bikes 1x by default. People who aren't bicycle nerds don't ever seem to want to use their front derailleur at all

Bicycle nerd checking in: I just put the front derailer back on my touring bike. I'd taken it off because I never used it pootling around my mountain town.

I've got 8 in the back and I frequently shift two at a time. I feel like a wider spread on the back would be just fine for a whole lot of people.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Clark Nova posted:

I wish they'd make hybrid bikes IGH by default.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I took my gravel bike to the shop yesterday to fix the headset issue I’m having and told the owner we got some Bromptons for bombing around town. He went into a soliloquy about how great IGHs are. You either love them or you hate them.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I took my gravel bike to the shop yesterday to fix the headset issue I’m having and told the owner we got some Bromptons for bombing around town. He went into a soliloquy about how great IGHs are. You either love them or you hate them.
Yeah they're not great for everything but for a commuter/round-town bike they're pretty great IME.
I just rode my mountain bike to get lunch (other one was in the shop) and derailleurs are great too. I just hated the cleaning/maintenance for a daily-ridden bike.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

if I only was going to use the Brompton for 15-20 mile flat-with-bridges rides, I'd probably stick with the 3-speed and then only have the IGH and live the simple life

that said, I'm glad I have the 6-speed, even if it means I do have an extra derailleur to worry about

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Y'all got me looking at planetary hubs now, THANKS A LOT.

The Shimano 8sp looks not horrible.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

kimbo305 posted:

Either one will serve you well. I'm seeing a $300 price diff between the 2 and the 3.
For that, you get:
Carbon fork instead of alloy. Trek is on thing big kick to use alu on their forks for some reason. I trust them in terms of durability, but it might be a bit harsher feeling. Trek does compensate by giving you:

smaller tires. Slightly odd that they would vary tire width between these trims, but the 2 has a squishier 35mm tire, which should offset the fork a bit.

1 x 10 gearing instead of 2 x 9. This is probably the biggest difference in day to day experience. 10 speeds is enough for a good majority of people, and 9 speeds (at least set up here) will be very similar gearing except for one caveat -- having to shift between the big and small rings. Here's a graph representing the relative speed along the ground you get in each gear when pedaling at a constant rpm (links to the viz tool):

2x9 is on the top. Note the near exact matchup in output speeds in the middle of the gear range. This means if you're crusining along at slow to moderate speeds (8-14mph) , you would end up using equivalent gears in the small ring or the big ring. Some setups will interleave the gear ratios, so you have a finer spread of gearing to use, at the hassle of switching back and forth.
Compared to the 1 x 10 setup, you actually have more gears in that 8-14mph range.

I don't think shifting a 2x is that challenging, and it's second nature once you do it for a while, but it is ever so slightly more operating effort.

different brakes, but I don't think this is a huge deal.

e: you could also look at the pretty similar Kona Dew Plus and Dew Deluxe. The Plus spec is a little worse than the FX3, but $170 cheaper.

Thanks for the info!

I guess my follow up question is any advice on how to order a bike from the internet? I don't want to necessarily buy one and then find out it doesn't fit me.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Thanks for the info!

I guess my follow up question is any advice on how to order a bike from the internet? I don't want to necessarily buy one and then find out it doesn't fit me.

You test ride an FX3, right? Was that through a shop? Did they confirm, on top of your ride, that it was the right size? If you, you can compare geometries to another bike model's size range.
Here's a medium FX3 vs a small Dew Plus:
https://bikeinsights.com/compare?geometries=642aedb432648a00213a1040,61bd564422e867001c991c33

You're basically looking for strong overlap to confirm two bikes will fit you the same way. In this case, you can catch out the fact that a size M Dew would be too big.

That visualizer has a good but not comprehensive database of bike geos.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

kimbo305 posted:

You test ride an FX3, right? Was that through a shop? Did they confirm, on top of your ride, that it was the right size? If you, you can compare geometries to another bike model's size range.
https://bikeinsights.com/compare?geometries=642aedb432648a00213a1040,61bd564422e867001c991c33

You're basically looking for strong overlap to confirm two bikes will fit you the same way. In this case, you can catch out the fact that a size M Dew would be too big.

Yeah I rode a medium FX3 at the shop and it felt good to me in terms of length and how it felt riding it

Appreciate it! I'm gonna look through this and see what my next steps may be

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

Any excuse to plus the far superior geo site of https://www.bike-stats.de/en/ that lets you plug in handlebars, stems, etc to also compare

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

cruft posted:

It's good if you're not pushign ebike torque through it.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

evil_bunnY posted:

It's good if you're not pushign ebike torque through it.

telling people that im not skipping leg day, im just trying to not get so strong that i hulk out and destroy my drivetrain

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

cruft posted:

Y'all got me looking at planetary hubs now, THANKS A LOT.

A couple of years ago, I put one on my winter bike, and have been abusing it hard. Lång rides, year-round daily commuting, 50 kg of cargo, larger than warrantied rear sprocket, Swedish winter conditions, and only stored outside.

The Shimano Inter 8 had a pretty bad reputation for unreliability when I'd gotten it, and whether through luck or improved QC I've been extremely happy with it. The gear range (304 %) corresponded to that of the 21-speed MTB I built my winter bike out of, minus the absolute highest and lowest gear combinations, so even in hilly Stockholm it can manage all of my needs.

Groda fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Sep 14, 2023

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
Stay hydrated:

https://www.brompton.com/p/965/brompton-x-bear-grylls-c-line-explore

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

Groda posted:

Stay hydrated:

It comes with the seawater enima kit?

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

they could at least ship those with the Marathon Plus tires and not the Marathon Racer tires that gave me my first puncture ever for daring them to ride them for like half a mile on gravel

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back

Clark Nova posted:

I wish they'd make hybrid bikes 1x by default. People who aren't bicycle nerds don't ever seem to want to use their front derailleur at all

This is mainly true. I'm sticking to my 3x cos there are some steep hills around here and if you want the most gear range for the least money it's still the undisputed champ. I was going to argue that 1x drivetrains don't offer low enough climbing gears for the old/unfit, but this one with the 26t on the front looks nice (idk why they're calling it a mountain bike): https://www.islabikes.co.uk/products/icon-jimi

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

were just talking the other day about folding bikes with belt drives, and more recently about IGH with more speeds, so hey: here's a new bike from priority with a 7-speed shimano nexus and a gates belt https://www.prioritybicycles.com/products/folder

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

TobinHatesYou posted:

There shouldn’t be rub even when cross-chained if the FD has trim…he just has to know how to use it.

No one who cross chains constantly uses trim. They just want to tell themselves ‘I’m doing OK, I‘m not even in my little ring yet’ as they grind up hills at 20 rpm cadence for no reason.

Al2001 posted:

I was going to argue that 1x drivetrains don't offer low enough climbing gears for the old/unfit, but this one with the 26t on the front looks nice (idk why they're calling it a mountain bike): https://www.islabikes.co.uk/products/icon-jimi

1x is limited in total gear range until you get to 12 speed sram stuff with a 10t cog and a rear cassette the size of a dinner plate. And that’s more expensive than simple 2x so will never be the default on hybrids.

That Isla bike looks nice, 26t chainring though surely makes it only suitable for riding up walls, horrible for anything else. That’s smaller than the inner ring on a triple isn’t it?

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

abraham linksys posted:

were just talking the other day about folding bikes with belt drives, and more recently about IGH with more speeds, so hey: here's a new bike from priority with a 7-speed shimano nexus and a gates belt https://www.prioritybicycles.com/products/folder

This is a front dynamo hub away from being about perfect for me.

Too bad no one seems to be interested in putting a coaster brake on folders. 6-speed Bromptons having four cable runs on a bike that folds in forty directions is absolutely lunacy.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back

wooger posted:

1x is limited in total gear range until you get to 12 speed sram stuff with a 10t cog and a rear cassette the size of a dinner plate. And that’s more expensive than simple 2x so will never be the default on hybrids.

Exactly, 8-speed is the most you're going to get on the kind of hybrids almost everyone buys (ie ones that cost less than £600RRP.)

quote:

That Isla bike looks nice, 26t chainring though surely makes it only suitable for riding up walls, horrible for anything else. That’s smaller than the inner ring on a triple isn’t it?

It is extreme but pretty cool to see something obviously aimed at old/less fit riders (I teach adults to ride and I'm sure a lot of them would love it.)

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

wooger posted:

It's literally an offroad bike for less capable riders. I think it's great that it exists.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I think my characterizing Bromptons as cubes was overstated:

https://handsonbike.blogspot.com/2017/07/brompton-m6r-folded-size-comparison.html

I should have done this comparison with my Pakit when i still had the Brompton.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

wooger posted:

Twenty-two teeth was common. That was with cogs maxing out at like thirty-two. Same eleven teeth on the other end.

Some of that mechanical advantage gets clawed back with larger wheels and shorter cranks, but a nineties mountain bike has way more top speed in the middle ring, let alone the big one.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

abraham linksys posted:

cruft PMed me earlier to say it's this one, which looks identical other than having a logo on it: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F3WXV4D/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1&psc=1

kinda suspect it might be too narrow for a Brompton; as kimbo posted a few weeks ago they're more cube-shaped than most folding bikes when fully folded. might poke around and see if anyone's had luck using it with a Brompton, though

Update: I just managed to get the Bike Friday NWT in there without taking off the front wheel!

Bike Fridays appear to be well-known as not folding down very small, in exchange for having a ride closer to what you'd get on a traditional diamond frame. The back wheel swings underneath the bike and comes up against the main tube. The seatpost tube folds down and nestles the nose of the saddle between the main tube and the hub on the back wheel. And you can remove the steer tube if you like (you have to, for this bag).

I was able to get that to all fit by turning the front wheel backwards: the throwout in the front fork was enough that this removed a good 10cm of overall width. I had to rotate the bike a bit to make in work in the square bag, but it's all crammed in there now!

What I'm trying to say is: this bag is pretty large. If it can fit a Bike Friday with the front 20" wheel still attached, it can probably fit any other folding bike.

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.

wooger posted:

Or most likely, just stop cross chaining - that’s what I infer from ‘never use the little chainring’.
I live and commute in Chicago, so I usually cycle through 3 gears. I’ve literally never been on either outside sprocket. They look brand new.

TobinHatesYou posted:

I mean you can either do something silly like take the front derailleur off or you can watch a 10 minute long YouTube video on how to adjust a front derailleur.
I did, and none of their adjustments worked. Adjusting the limit screws didn’t do anything useful.

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

protip: your left shifter moves the front derailleur... try moving it with the shifter
The bike doesn’t allow me to trim using the shifter.

I solved the problem by using a pair of pliers to deform the part of the derailleur that was contacting the chain into a shape that no longer contacts the chain. I don’t give a poo poo if that solution compromises the front derailleur’s ability to shift because I never move off the big ring.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Oh, you have one of those indexed front shifters that has one position per chainring, like on a mountain bike. Yeah. Those grind in some positions and getting them adjusted right is a tremendous pain in the rear end, in my experience.

If you want a less hacky solution than "bend the front derailer to poo poo with a pair of pliers", I recommend just taking the damned thing off. You can then remove the front shifter and some cable and housing. I happen to like how that makes the bike look, your mileage may vary.

You might be able to disassemble the derailer, too. This might involve a pair of tin snips, which, whatever, you've already destroyed the part. Be careful not to leave any edges that are going to cut into your leg!

cruft fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Sep 15, 2023

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

secular woods sex posted:

I did, and none of their adjustments worked. Adjusting the limit screws didn’t do anything useful.

Surprising. Eventually, the cage should have started moving from being nudged by an extreme screw offset. Maybe the cable was very loose.

Anyways, now you can just going back to riding and/or dismantling the FD.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
Just upgraded to a dynamo-powered 100 lux light on my winter bike, and it's like taking your own street light with you.

https://www.bumm.de/en/products/dynamo-scheinwerfer/parent/164/produkt/164rtsndi-01-schwarz-164rtsndi-silber.html

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Yesterday I replaced the flat bars on my Sladda with these $36 old man handlebars, and it's like a whole new bike. I'm pretty much fully upright now, and that makes me totally disinclined to try and go quickly. I feel like I need a baguette in the front basket or something. Game changer, A+ recommended.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01LEPBR9C

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

cruft posted:

Yesterday I replaced the flat bars on my Sladda with these $36 old man handlebars, and it's like a whole new bike. I'm pretty much fully upright now, and that makes me totally disinclined to try and go quickly. I feel like I need a baguette in the front basket or something. Game changer, A+ recommended.

One of the nice things about these 90 ° handlebars is you can have a poncho that goes up over the bars.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Groda posted:

Just upgraded to a dynamo-powered 100 lux light on my winter bike, and it's like taking your own street light with you.

https://www.bumm.de/en/products/dynamo-scheinwerfer/parent/164/produkt/164rtsndi-01-schwarz-164rtsndi-silber.html
I'm not a super fan of the B&M super complex beams (had an IXON IQ Premium for a while, they're too distracting to me) but a good 5,4w light is really great. I have a big fuckoff lupine on the cargo bike and love it.
If you have an e-bike I can't recommend a 45kph STVZO light enough. They feel light lighthouses compared to most bike lights.

cruft posted:

Chillax bars are great! I have ~70 degrees bars and they're perfect for me.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Sep 25, 2023

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

evil_bunnY posted:

I'm not a super fan of the B&M super complex beams (had an IXON IQ Premium for a while, they're too distracting to me)

"distracting"?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Groda posted:

"distracting"?
You can tell the distinct reflective elements, and the patterns they project on the ground are distracting when I ride. I like a wide *even* field of illumination.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

evil_bunnY posted:

You can tell the distinct reflective elements, and the patterns they project on the ground are distracting when I ride. I like a wide *even* field of illumination.

I've had a lot of dynamo-driven LED-lights, and B+M is as good or better than most. What are you comparing with, regarding dynamo-driven LED-lights?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Groda posted:

I've had a lot of dynamo-driven LED-lights, and B+M is as good or better than most. What are you comparing with, regarding dynamo-driven LED-lights?
Oh they're pretty good! Most people don't mind the patterns. My dynamo B&M was a "Lumotec IQ Cyo Premium T senso plus". Then I got a supernova e3 before that bike was stolen, and on the replacement ebike i've replaced the factory front (B&M EYC E I think?) with a lupine SL X.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
I don't love the B+M pattern, but the price is hard to beat.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Conversely, I love the pattern the B&M lights make.
Currently also have an IQ-X on my commuter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

If you want a deece StvZO headlight there aren't that many options, you're basically down to lezyne (never tried), B&M (weird beams IME) and Supernova ('spensive).