Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

E. wrong thread

Zamboni Rodeo has a new favorite as of 15:38 on Sep 14, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

E. wrong thread

Disagree, please post the zamboni rodeo.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Mega Crit, developers of Slay The Spire, respond to the Unity Bullshit

https://twitter.com/MegaCrit/status/1702077576209207611

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Red Hook, who makes the darkest dungeon games did pretty much the same thing today but without the swearing.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn
https://twitter.com/cultofthelamb/status/1701715971663425897?s=20

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Get hosed, Unity

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

PathAsc posted:

Get hosed, Unity

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010
Was Unity expecting everyone would just quietly go along with it? Or is this just an attempt to siphon money out of hoyo and nintendo?

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

supposedly the trick is that they'll waive the fees.. if you switch to their ad platform instead of a competitors

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Pogonodon posted:

Was Unity expecting everyone would just quietly go along with it? Or is this just an attempt to siphon money out of hoyo and nintendo?

"We're the biggest indie development engine around, what're they all gonna do? Migrate to another engine? :smuggo:".

Unity's current CEO is a known greedy piece of poo poo who's insistent on monetisation.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Pogonodon posted:

From the Slay The Spire thread:

Vermain posted:

the short version: unity recently made a change to their licensing agreement that would increase licensing fees, including things like a surcharge for every install of the game a person does on their device, which would also apply retroactively to any games made before the license change, so every major player in the indie scene is getting the pitchforks out

SKULL.GIF posted:

Some more context: Unity went public as a company (meaning they're subject to the vagaries of the investment market) in 2020, and their CEO is an avaricious psychopath who makes Bobby Kotick look like a kindly Santa Claus.

This entire thing is a naked cash grab to juice as much revenue (and stock growth) as possible before they all dump their bags and parachute away from the crashing tower.

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010
Good Lord it's even worse than I thought :ohdear:

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I wonder if there's anything that hasn't been hosed up by the addition of the stock market

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Glottis posted:

I wonder if there's anything that hasn't been hosed up by the addition of the stock market
I owe $86,430 on my Corvette and am snapchatting a 22 year old model as we speak, and will make at least $8.2 million when Rick Snacks Jr buys Hollywood Video next week on the anniversary of Gerald Ford’s daughter’s tibia surgery. You sound like my ex.

edit: tell the kids to text me back baby

SLOSifl has a new favorite as of 03:06 on Sep 15, 2023

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

Indecisive posted:

supposedly the trick is that they'll waive the fees.. if you switch to their ad platform instead of a competitors

I guess you could say they gambled and lost :c00lbutt:

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
I have a friend who is terminally online and mentioned something the other day about a gamer strike coming. Is this what he was talking about? I feel old and out of touch sometimes and this is one of the times it feels good to be old and out of touch.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Flyinglemur posted:

I have a friend who is terminally online and mentioned something the other day about a gamer strike coming. Is this what he was talking about? I feel old and out of touch sometimes and this is one of the times it feels good to be old and out of touch.

Gamers get mad easily

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

watching a scab jump on a turtle via discord

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Vagina bonectomy

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Vaginas bones, brought to you by the same people that will tell you there are ghosts in your blood you have to do cocaine about.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

quote:

Unity silently removed their Github repo to track license changes, then updated their license to remove the clause that lets you use the TOS from the version you shipped with, then insists games already shipped need to pay the new fees.

After their previous controversy with license changes, in 2019, after disagreements with Improbable, unity updated their Terms of Service, with the following statement:

quote:

When you obtain a version of Unity, and don’t upgrade your project, we think you should be able to stick to that version of the TOS.

As part of their "commitment to being an open platform", they made a Github repository, that tracks changes to the unity terms to "give developers full transparency about what changes are happening, and when"

Well, sometime around June last year, they silently deleted that Github repo.

April 3rd this year (slightly before the release of 2022 LTS in June), they updated their terms of service to remove the clause that was added after the 2019 controversy. That clause was as follows:

quote:

Unity may update these Unity Software Additional Terms at any time for any reason and without notice (the “Updated Terms”) and those Updated Terms will apply to the most recent current-year version of the Unity Software, provided that, if the Updated Terms adversely impact your rights, you may elect to continue to use any current-year versions of the Unity Software (e.g., 2018.x and 2018.y and any Long Term Supported (LTS) versions for that current-year release) according to the terms that applied just prior to the Updated Terms (the “Prior Terms”). The Updated Terms will then not apply to your use of those current-year versions unless and until you update to a subsequent year version of the Unity Software (e.g. from 2019.4 to 2020.1). If material modifications are made to these Terms, Unity will endeavor to notify you of the modification.

This clause is completely missing in the new terms of service.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

PathAsc posted:

Vaginas bones, brought to you by the same people that will tell you there are ghosts in your blood you have to do cocaine about.

Sounds like a great reason to do cocaine about, though.

Like, if I am doing cocaine, that'd be a baller reason to give when people ask why I'm doing cocaine.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

If there are ghosts in your blood then you're really just the middle man for giving cocaine to your ghost.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

Lobok posted:

If there are ghosts in your blood then you're really just the middle man for giving cocaine to your ghost.

That's called an enabler

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":
this Unity fella sounds like a real jerk

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

That's called an enabler

I was gonna say dealer but yeah, tomato tomato

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Flyinglemur posted:

You mean like how there was that steam group (or whatever) called Boycott CoD but everyone in it was playing CoD?

E:

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Flyinglemur posted:

Gamer strike means they won't say the n-word for 24 hours. It has no chance of succeeding.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Flyinglemur posted:

Unity have complete hosed themselves in their little "put up with it or gently caress off" monopolization bid, because it's not the consumers that are pissed with them, it's the developers. And the universal response from studios big and small has been "Go gently caress yourselves, we're migrating our projects to Unreal or Godot ASAP". Which means they're never coming back. Unity's decision-makers have utterly obliterated, potentially irrevocably, the trust in the indie dev community they've built over the last decade+ overnight.

To give you an idea of how completely hosed Unity are, even if they walked it back completely, (albeit exaggerating a little), about the only thing that might bring anyone back after this is the Unity CEO's, (John Riccitiello) head on an actual silver platter, with a place card beside it with the words "We're Sorry" handwritten in decorative cursive signed by the rest of the board and higher-ups. And even then someone's gonna need to see that head poked with a stick a few times to make drat sure he's not gonna try any more stupid monetization-driven ideas.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
Wow. A lot of Gaming RacistsTM ITT. I'm going to call Tommy Tellarico.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Unity still has a lot of developers locked in. With how tight the budgets are, trying to switch engines mid-project is infeasible for most.

However, the fact that Unity did a "we altered the deal, pray we do not alter it any further" utterly obliterated any and all trust in them. You would have to be insane to start a new project with them now.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Railing Kill posted:

Wow. A lot of Gaming RacistsTM ITT. I'm going to call Tommy Tellarico.

The first American to kiss Sonic on his little lips?

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Is there a thread for the unity stuff? I find it interesting.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Yeah same except really boring

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Flyinglemur posted:

fwiw you may have misheard something about the SAG-AFTRA strike possibly expanding to include video game companies (there were some rumblings about voice actors joining in two weeks ago and they've only been escalating)

alternatively it could easily be some chud poo poo

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Philippe posted:

The first American to kiss Sonic on his little lips?

:wink:

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I saw on Mastodon that angry gamers have been sending Unity death threats, and scolding people for that. And I thought to myself "since when is Mastodon not about 'death to the megawealthy'? And if people are going to threaten the tumourous CEO of Unity, I actually don't give a drat"

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Games Industry thread
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=4023270

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Gracias

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Hyperlynx posted:

I saw on Mastodon that angry gamers have been sending Unity death threats, and scolding people for that. And I thought to myself "since when is Mastodon not about 'death to the megawealthy'? And if people are going to threaten the tumourous CEO of Unity, I actually don't give a drat"

lol it wasn't gamers sending them the real death threats at least