Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Sports is always so much more fun when they make it clear they aren't going to be serious early on, so you never get invested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Dexo posted:

Sports is always so much more fun when they make it clear they aren't going to be serious early on, so you never get invested.

I think I've said this before but one of my favorite Lions games I went to was in 2017 when they played New Orleans. The game got out of hand really quickly which just removed all anxiety, and it was just fun to hoot and holler as the Lions almost came back like thirty points to get within a score before a pick six sealed the game. Never have expectations, and it's much harder to be disappointed! :v:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
In other news, I believe Brad Holmes has elected to use some kind of voodoo to inflict injuries on the players of our opposing teams, because:

https://twitter.com/davebirkett/status/1702069839957807598?s=20

Geno Smith is gonna get sacked like ten times. Aiden Hutchinson might literally tear him in half.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Acebuckeye13 posted:

In other news, I believe Brad Holmes has elected to use some kind of voodoo to inflict injuries on the players of our opposing teams, because:

Geno Smith is gonna get sacked like ten times. Aiden Hutchinson might literally tear him in half.

Inshallah

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Kirk is going to get murdered tomorrow night, right?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Bird in a Blender posted:

Having to play the packers was terrible luck. Losing to like the Patriots and I don’t think we get this big of a freak out, but everyone hates losing to GB.

I did think it was unusually fate-tempting of the NFL to schedule the Packers' new quarterback at the Bears, in Chicago, week 1.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

trevorreznik posted:

At least Trestman won 8 games in a season and had the second highest scoring offense in the league

A shame the defense decided it was the right year to fall off a cliff entirely lol

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

But it was finally chicagos turn to beat green bay! Extremely not fair

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Scarabrae posted:

But it was finally chicagos turn to beat green bay! Extremely not fair

lmao imagine thinking good things are allowed to happen in Chicago sports.

The Last time something good happened in chicago sports Trump won the presidency.

Oh I guess the Sky won the WNBA title, with Candace Parker, that was cool, but then the coach/GM decided to dismantle the team and trade the entire future away, before taking an assistant coaches job with the Raptors mid-season.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

trevorreznik posted:

At least Trestman won 8 games in a season and had the second highest scoring offense in the league

He also didn't make a big stink about "hustling" before getting treated like the substitute teacher.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

This guy doesn't know squat. He just posts vague poo poo with a hedge. I'll give him credit for being better at it than other accounts who have "sources".

https://twitter.com/dabearsblog/status/1488917132033372163

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

SirPablo posted:

Kirk is going to get murdered tomorrow night, right?

Let me check the tape

IcePhoenix posted:

Kirk is going to die against that D-line vs our O-Line

yep

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Niwrad posted:

This guy doesn't know squat. He just posts vague poo poo with a hedge. I'll give him credit for being better at it than other accounts who have "sources".

https://twitter.com/dabearsblog/status/1488917132033372163

Like he could obviously be bullshiting , but he pretty much nailed the reporting on the bears hiring search.

Like that tweet isn't some refutation, just because someone who said positive things about Getsy maybe turned out to be wrong.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Ford Field is going to be absolutely deafening on Sunday

HootTheOwl posted:

The year is 2035, there is talk of the Bears should trade Justin Fields, who is on his 12th consecutive one year prove-it contract. There are some nice looking QBs in the draft, and the bears hold the first nine and next 17 picks. But, the Cardinals have expressed interest in trading down from 10.

On first read I thought "2035 isn't 12 years away" and then it dawned on me that I will be 55 in 2035 and I am having a moment

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Dexo posted:

lmao imagine thinking good things are allowed to happen in Chicago sports.

The Last time something good happened in chicago sports Trump won the presidency.

Oh I guess the Sky won the WNBA title, with Candace Parker, that was cool, but then the coach/GM decided to dismantle the team and trade the entire future away, before taking an assistant coaches job with the Raptors mid-season.

All Chicago victories come at a price:
Cubs Trump
Blackhawks sexual assault
Sky got Britney arrested

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Ford Field is going to be absolutely deafening on Sunday

On first read I thought "2035 isn't 12 years away" and then it dawned on me that I will be 55 in 2035 and I am having a moment

I didn't do any math. I think he's signed for another two years as a first round pick

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
I was merely think that 2035 seems years away, but it will be here sooner that I think and I'll be old and probably posting in here

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

I was merely think that 2035 seems years away, but it will be here sooner that I think and I'll be old and probably posting in here

We all will.
Only death can free us

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

HootTheOwl posted:

I didn't do any math. I think he's signed for another two years as a first round pick

This is year 3 for Fields, which means he's under contract for one more year unless the Bears decide this upcoming offseason to pick up his 5th year option.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Never have expectations, and it's much harder to be disappointed! :v:

Acebuckeye13 posted:

This is totally going to be Lions 21-34 Seahawks.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

I wonder if the Bears will post a winning record by 2035

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
For as bad as Chicago sports has bad it since 2016 (one playoff win in 2017 by the Cubs), at least we aren't Detroit

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

trevorreznik posted:

For as bad as Chicago sports has bad it since 2016 (one playoff win in 2017 by the Cubs), at least we aren't Detroit

Sorry that’s Clevelands Motto

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gg86Enr2WZ8&pp=ygUbY2xldmVsYW5kIHdlJ3JlIG5vdCBkZXRyb2l0

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
When considering the last win that led to advancing in the playoffs (so, winning a game in the NFL, winning a series in MLB/NHL/NBA), Detroit was 2013, with the Tigers beating the Athletics to advance to the ALCS. Where they promptly got their guts ripped out by Boston in what is probably the most gutwrenching playoff series loss of my life besides maybe the one that happened about six months earlier when the Blackhawks eliminated the Red Wings in Game 7 OT after the Wings had been up 3-1 in the series.

I think the Pistons squeaked into the playoffs relatively recently to get absolutely obliterated by Lebron?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Cleveland has a more-recent pro sports championship than Detroit!

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

MJeff posted:

I think the Pistons squeaked into the playoffs relatively recently to get absolutely obliterated by Lebron?

They squeaked in again a couple of years later to get absolutely obliterated by Giannis. Worst team in basketball last season and rewarded with the #5 pick in a two-prospect draft.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Even with this recent run of ineptitude, I'd still take the red wings over any Cleveland team.

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

howe_sam posted:

Even with this recent run of ineptitude, I'd still take the red wings over any Cleveland team.

I lived in Cleveland proper when they won the NBA championship with LeBron. It was insane

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Henchman of Santa posted:

They squeaked in again a couple of years later to get absolutely obliterated by Giannis. Worst team in basketball last season and rewarded with the #5 pick in a two-prospect draft.

ahahahahaah yeah that's the other thing. I think between the Pistons and the Red Wings, Detroit has lost something like 10+ spots in the draft lottery over the last five years?

That's the thing, it's not just the playoffs. We're gettin' it rough at both ends.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

MJeff posted:

ahahahahaah yeah that's the other thing. I think between the Pistons and the Red Wings, Detroit has lost something like 10+ spots in the draft lottery over the last five years?

That's the thing, it's not just the playoffs. We're gettin' it rough at both ends.

Well we moved up to the top spot in 2021 to get Cade Cunningham who is the future of the franchise. But it would probably have been nicer to get Wembanyama.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

HootTheOwl posted:

We all will.
Only death can free us

Jokes on you, I'm already drafting provisions in my will to pay for servers and train a chatbot to shitpost like me. You'll never escape. None of us will.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Kloaked00 posted:

I lived in Cleveland proper when they won the NBA championship with LeBron. It was insane

I moved out of Cleveland about 6 weeks prior to them winning, and I really wish I had been there for that.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

trevorreznik posted:

2016 lmao

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

The last decade or so has been the darkest period of michigan sports ever. for decades at least 1 of the major teams was good at any time. Even the Lions won championships in the 50s, and then the Tigers were fantastic after the Red Wings started to enter the Dead Things Era. They stay good through the 80s, peak with a WS win in 84 and then the Pistons took over with the Bad Boys. Once they fall apart the Wings begin a dynasty in the NHL. that ends in the early 00s but then you have the Pistons winning another championship. They fall apart but hey the Wings get one last gasp in 08. Then the Tigers at least were competitive and even knocked the Yankees out of the playoffs before losing in the WS. Since then though it has all been horrible.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

WoodrowSkillson posted:

The last decade or so has been the darkest period of michigan sports ever. for decades at least 1 of the major teams was good at any time. Even the Lions won championships in the 50s, and then the Tigers were fantastic after the Red Wings started to enter the Dead Things Era. They stay good through the 80s, peak with a WS win in 84 and then the Pistons took over with the Bad Boys. Once they fall apart the Wings begin a dynasty in the NHL. that ends in the early 00s but then you have the Pistons winning another championship. They fall apart but hey the Wings get one last gasp in 08. Then the Tigers at least were competitive and even knocked the Yankees out of the playoffs before losing in the WS. Since then though it has all been horrible.

Can you do one of these for Minnesota?

This isn't a "wahhh my sports luck has been worse" request I just think it's a cool chart and I'm interested to see what it would look like/how it would compare.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

i found i via google i think its from reddit

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

The Lions are the only Detroit team that hasn't come in dead last in their league at least once in the last four seasons :toot:

(they came second-to-last in MCDC's first year)

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Consider that the 2016 world series made approximately half of Chicago sports fans incredibly mad.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

R.D. Mangles posted:

Consider that the 2016 world series made approximately half of Chicago sports fans incredibly mad.

Half?

:rubby:

Maybe like 1/3

Also

https://twitter.com/AdamHoge/status/1702355834733228452

:rubby:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Ooph brutal