Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

golden bubble posted:

From what I heard, this latest attack was 10 storm sparrows + 3 drone boats in a single combined attack. None of the boats connected, and only 3 of the storm sparrows hit, but that was enough to end the Kilo and the sub.

These numbers are verbatim from the Russian MoD statement btw, so lol

The same statement describes the ship and sub as “damaged”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ionicpsycho
Dec 25, 2006
The Shortbus Avenger.
Man, the craziest poo poo really does happen on the mid watch.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Parkingtigers posted:

A Kilo? That's a heavy loss.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

MrYenko posted:

Submerging in submarine that had the anechoic tiles burn off the pressure hull is gonna be a no from me, dawg.

Trade it to North Korea for ammo.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Navy didn't get the memo from the Air Force, and was still putting tires on the sides of the ships, not the top, huh?

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

Ukraine claims to have destroyed an S-400 in Yevpatoria, Crimea by first destroying it's radar with drones and then firing Neptunes at it. Seems like that is a thing that shouldn't really happen to your state of the art air defense system.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Kuule hain nussivan posted:

Ukraine claims to have destroyed an S-400 in Yevpatoria, Crimea by first destroying it's radar with drones and then firing Neptunes at it. Seems like that is a thing that shouldn't really happen to your state of the art air defense system.

Right from the start of the war there have been videos of air defense systems getting blasted by drones without apparently being noticed. FPV drones or drones dropping grenades. I'm wondering whether it's the crews who don't know what they're doing or whether drones are just small enough targets that they don't really register as something to shoot down.

EDIT: Also worth noting it's not just an S-400 launcher but an entire S-400 battery, including radars, spare ammo, extra launchers, etc. that Ukraine is saying they've blown up.

https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1702217513050779876

https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1702217518138413464

quote:

The location of the battery was leaked last year by a Russian tourist.

PurpleXVI fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Sep 14, 2023

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

PurpleXVI posted:

Right from the start of the war there have been videos of air defense systems getting blasted by drones without apparently being noticed. FPV drones or drones dropping grenades. I'm wondering whether it's the crews who don't know what they're doing or whether drones are just small enough targets that they don't really register as something to shoot down.

EDIT: Also worth noting it's not just an S-400 launcher but an entire S-400 battery, including radars, spare ammo, extra launchers, etc. that Ukraine is saying they've blown up.

Hoo boy, you'd think in a hot war they'd move those batteries more than once a year, but guess I'm not a military genius.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I'm going to guess that the big fuckoff s400 battery isn't supposed to engage quadcopters and RC planes. That's the job of other assets. One does wonder what the Tunguskas and whatnot are doing.

It does feel like the Russian GBAD network is slowly unraveling.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
I was thinking how screwed up it was that someone took a picture of themselves with the air defense and how social media and the need for attention is having such an effect on this war. Got me thinking about what would happen in this country, would people do the same thing if they came upon air defense? Or any other kind of military equipment? The answer is probably yes.

But then I got to thinking about the difference between how Russian civilians and Ukrainian civilians are treating this and it probably comes down to the fact that the Russian civilians have no idea how badly the war is going. So why wouldn't I take a picture next to it? If we're absolutely beating those terrible people to death then what harm could it be?

Social media will be the death of us all.

Hopefully

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

The bombers /missiles always get through.

Even an amazing Air Defense will never stop everything, especially over time. It's done it's doctrinal job of denying the air, the Russians problem is that gets you nothing if you can't win on the ground; like they thought they would.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
My comfortable minded former coworker at my civilian job one time came running up to me, soldier in the national guard for satellite poo poo, and showed me a picture of some satellite terminals and asked if that poo poo was for Jade Helm crowd control.

Firstly, if it was, I couldn't tell him and secondly, they were literally my unit's terminals as in I physically touched the ones in the pic he showed.

Thirdly, this was a satellite communications job -- we looked at satellite terminals every day.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

Flyinglemur posted:

I was thinking how screwed up it was that someone took a picture of themselves with the air defense and how social media and the need for attention is having such an effect on this war. Got me thinking about what would happen in this country, would people do the same thing if they came upon air defense? Or any other kind of military equipment? The answer is probably yes.

But then I got to thinking about the difference between how Russian civilians and Ukrainian civilians are treating this and it probably comes down to the fact that the Russian civilians have no idea how badly the war is going. So why wouldn't I take a picture next to it? If we're absolutely beating those terrible people to death then what harm could it be?

Hopefully

Early in the war there were a couple of notable incidents of Ukrainian reservists/TDF troop concentrations getting hit due to poor opsec regarding social media, after that, it felt like everyone got the message on the Ukrainian side.

This was, I'll note, like half a year before the Christmas celebration where Russian mobiks blew their opsec so badly that a triple digit number of them got vaporized in one strike. Didn't help that they were apparently celebrating on top of an ammo dump, too.

https://twitter.com/KyivPost/status/1702279299309416574

quote:

As 60 Russian soldiers withdrew to “more favorable positions,” in the village of Optyne near Donetsk, a drone operator mistook them for attacking Ukrainian forces and called in an artillery strike.

It feels like every time there's been an article about how the Russian forces are adapting, overcoming, learning and not just continuing the same mistakes as earlier in the war, it feels like something like this pops up where we're learning that no, they're also committing new and exciting mistakes.

PurpleXVI fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Sep 14, 2023

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Kuule hain nussivan posted:

S-400 is a heavy area air defense system with missiles that weigh two tons and are the length of a telephone pole. Its job is making sure no-one gets to play skygod at high altitudes in a bubble couple of hundred km in diameter. It's not very useful for hitting anything small or close to the ground, it's supposed to be defended by other stuff.

Either the other stuff was asleep, or it was withdrawn to guard Putin's dacha, or something.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Tuna-Fish posted:

Either the other stuff was asleep, or it was withdrawn to guard Putin's dacha, or something.

Or they shot it all already. A horde of cheap drones is a viable way to deplete enemy air defences.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

McGavin posted:

The kilo is no big loss. Kadyrov has plenty of kilos to spare.

he is protected by spare tire

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

PurpleXVI posted:

Early in the war there were a couple of notable incidents of Ukrainian reservists/TDF troop concentrations getting hit due to poor opsec regarding social media, after that, it felt like everyone got the message on the Ukrainian side.

This was, I'll note, like half a year before the Christmas celebration where Russian mobiks blew their opsec so badly that a triple digit number of them got vaporized in one strike. Didn't help that they were apparently celebrating on top of an ammo dump, too.

https://twitter.com/KyivPost/status/1702279299309416574

It feels like every time there's been an article about how the Russian forces are adapting, overcoming, learning and not just continuing the same mistakes as earlier in the war, it feels like something like this pops up where we're learning that no, they're also committing new and exciting mistakes.

"good news general! We have been over 30% effective in artillery targeting!"

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
How certain are we that it was friendly fire and not gently caress you for retreating fire? At this point it feels like a coin flip

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Flyinglemur posted:

Hopefully

Two decades of operating amongst unfriendly civilians did a good job of convincing the US military of the need to keep the lid on social media posts. At the very least, they wouldn't let tourists just walk right up ...

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Flyinglemur posted:

How certain are we that it was friendly fire and not gently caress you for retreating fire? At this point it feels like a coin flip

once the retreating troops close the distance it goes from punishment fire to whoopsy fire

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Tuna-Fish posted:

S-400 is a heavy area air defense system with missiles that weigh two tons and are the length of a telephone pole. Its job is making sure no-one gets to play skygod at high altitudes in a bubble couple of hundred km in diameter. It's not very useful for hitting anything small or close to the ground, it's supposed to be defended by other stuff.

I read in one of the analysis threads that this is sort of what's expected in a strategic sense for air defenses. Poke a hole in air defenses in one place and if there isn't enough capacity somewhere else to move in and plug that hole you get to use that hole to poke another hole, and then another, and suddenly there's swiss cheese for defense and nothing is really safe so all the high priority stuff starts getting blown to chunky bits. Seems to be lining up pretty well with what's going on.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/BBCWorld/status/1702187162542694897?s=20

quote:

Defence sources have told the BBC that a row then broke out between the two Russian pilots.

The pilot of the second SU-27 did not think they had been given permission to fire.

He is said to have sworn at his comrade, effectively asking him what he thought he was doing.

Yet the first pilot still released another missile.

Alan Smithee fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Sep 14, 2023

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Tuna-Fish posted:

There was a lot of AA tracers being fired in the footage that was put online. But obviously it was not effective against whatever had been fired by Ukraine.
White smoke is always an important signal, either there is a new pope or lots of AA missile propellant going boom.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Does the RC-135 have electronic countermeasures that could have messed with the missile's targeting? Or was it just another case of the Russians bringing pencils.

psydude fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Sep 14, 2023

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Periodic reminder that no matter your feelings on the ethics and legality of classification, some people in this forum need a clearance to keep their job so DO NOT POST LEAKED CLASSIFIED DOCUMENTS, LINKS TO CLASSIFIED DOCUMENTS OR SCREENSHOTS OF CLASSIFIED poo poo.

Thank you.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Take that poo poo to the War Thunder forums

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

The Door Frame posted:

Take that poo poo to the War Thunder forums

OK, well I was able to answer my question through publicly available information. Yes, it does. And yes, it presumably can (and did).

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Oh I wasn’t posting in response to your question sorry.

winnydpu
May 3, 2007
Sugartime Jones
I doubt the tourist picture was how the S-400 battery was located, I think they are going to make that dude a scapegoat. Wouldn't big, immobile installations like the S-400 or Patriot be pretty high priority for satellite locating and monitoring? And we keep seeing the NATO electronic reconnaissance jets and global hawk doing laps in the black sea- I would assume they have every radar in Crimea triangulated by now.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

FrozenVent posted:

Oh I wasn’t posting in response to your question sorry.

All good. I realized after the fact that it could have accidentally gone beyond a simple yes/no response to something classified pretty quickly.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

PurpleXVI posted:

Yeah that's big. Russia seems to have plenty of air defense launchers. But good air defense radars and command vehicles are in short supply over there. Taking those out is a big success for the Ukrainians.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

psydude posted:

Two decades of operating amongst unfriendly civilians did a good job of convincing the US military of the need to keep the lid on social media posts. At the very least, they wouldn't let tourists just walk right up ...

I meant, if we were the defending country and an American influencer happened upon a Patriot Battery they would absolutely do a TikTok dance in front of it

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Flyinglemur posted:

I meant, if we were the defending country and an American influencer happened upon a Patriot Battery they would absolutely do a TikTok dance in front of it

No, it would be all over Nextdoor that Ashleigh's kids are inconsolable because the army decided to set up by the baseball diamonds and won't let children play underneath the missiles

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Flyinglemur posted:

Just give me a chance to do a Tik Tok dance.

Give me a chance to do a dance!

https://youtu.be/PeHF_0dyd0g?si=Fj5b1PkOlmA43k5t

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Flyinglemur posted:

Why do you think the US is banning TikTok? OPSEC reasons.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

FrozenVent posted:

Periodic reminder that no matter your feelings on the ethics and legality of classification, some people in this forum need a clearance to keep their job so DO NOT POST LEAKED CLASSIFIED DOCUMENTS, LINKS TO CLASSIFIED DOCUMENTS OR SCREENSHOTS OF CLASSIFIED poo poo.

Thank you.

Oh good god, it finally struck the tower that is SA.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/KyivPost/status/1702317371246117375

quote:

The UK has supplied Ukraine with #Malloy T400 heavy #UAVs, the British Defence Ministry said.

The drones can carry ammunition and weapons to the front line: their payload capacity is up to 180kg and their range is up to 70km.

Imagine how many rifle grenades they can strap to that sucker.

Though, in the video in the linked tweet, they're demonstrating using one for evacuating wounded personnel. I think it's actually cool we have quadcopters big enough for those purposes now.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

psydude posted:

Why do you think the US is banning TikTok? OPSEC reasons.

I figured congressmen were being spammed with videos of deformed babies like me

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
Excellent post/username/av combo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

PurpleXVI posted:

https://twitter.com/KyivPost/status/1702317371246117375

Imagine how many rifle grenades they can strap to that sucker.

Though, in the video in the linked tweet, they're demonstrating using one for evacuating wounded personnel. I think it's actually cool we have quadcopters big enough for those purposes now.

Bringing the magic hour to the frontline would be a no poo poo huge advantage for Ukrainian sustainment efforts and just an overall boost to morale.