Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

CzarChasm posted:

I'm sure this is a classic complaint at this point, but the cars in CP2077 are just anti-fun to do anything with. They look cool; Even the beaters have a 1980s retro futurism that I like. But it's like driving a brick on icy road. As far as I can tell there's only like 4-5 racing missions, and they're easy as hell, so it's not too bad, but drat, do I dread any occasion where I have to drive a car. Motorcycles are a bit better, but I am really used to the GTA/Saint's Row school of if you run into anything solid at more than 20 MPH, you're going over the handlebars. Here, you have to hit something bigger and heavier than an SUV at over 100 in order to dismount or take any damage. It's nice for crossing the big empty desert ASAP.
I don't play racing games and don't know the first thing about how car games are actually designed. Why do all the cars control so bad? "Brick on an icy road" is a good summary, the controls feel hypersensitive and any non-bike vehicle fishtails like crazy when you try to veer a little to the left or right. The durability is the only saving grace, and the game plays very different if you actually treat pedestrians as people and give a poo poo about not mowing them down constantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Haven't played Cyberpunk but from both of your posts it sounds like they went overboard on giving players easy drifting?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Best explanation I've found is that turning turns the entire car on its axis rather than simulating wheels turning. I guess that's why bikes handle so much better; it's a smaller footprint.

The camera is also positioned too low.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

CzarChasm posted:

I'm sure this is a classic complaint at this point, but the cars in CP2077 are just anti-fun to do anything with. They look cool; Even the beaters have a 1980s retro futurism that I like. But it's like driving a brick on icy road. As far as I can tell there's only like 4-5 racing missions, and they're easy as hell, so it's not too bad, but drat, do I dread any occasion where I have to drive a car. Motorcycles are a bit better, but I am really used to the GTA/Saint's Row school of if you run into anything solid at more than 20 MPH, you're going over the handlebars. Here, you have to hit something bigger and heavier than an SUV at over 100 in order to dismount or take any damage. It's nice for crossing the big empty desert ASAP.

Related to the above, I don't like that buying cars is a "job" for the local fixers. If it was ever a thing like "I need you to disappear this hot car before the cops come looking for it", that would be something. But all of those missions are just "Hey, heard you were looking for a new set of wheels". No thanks.

there’s at least one mission where you have to tail someone in the worlds worst van and if you fail you don’t get to retry unless you reload a save. I do not know if I will ever pass that mission.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

One of the things that is supposed to be updated with the DLC is the driving model and also adding in actual car combat.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

muscles like this! posted:

One of the things that is supposed to be updated with the DLC is the driving model and also adding in actual car combat.

That's good to hear in general, I didn't like the game enough to finish a second playthrough so I'm not personally gonna bother. But it really needed work, I hated the driving in the intro car so much that I never touched anything aside from motorcycles again unless the game forced me to. Having it be a wonky model setup that ignores wheel turning would go a long way to explain how bad it felt.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
The car you get for starting with the...whatever faction PanAm is from. That car is awesome, I thought it handled beautifully. Loved driving it about.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Captain Hygiene posted:

That's good to hear in general, I didn't like the game enough to finish a second playthrough so I'm not personally gonna bother. But it really needed work, I hated the driving in the intro car so much that I never touched anything aside from motorcycles again unless the game forced me to. Having it be a wonky model setup that ignores wheel turning would go a long way to explain how bad it felt.
Far be it from me to implore you to replay a game you didn't like when there are so many others out there, but the new patch looks like a complete overhaul. I'll find out in about a week!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

Far be it from me to implore you to replay a game you didn't like when there are so many others out there, but the new patch looks like a complete overhaul. I'll find out in about a week!

Yeah, realistically the number of other games to play will probably just keep me from giving it another try, especially in this, the gamiest of all years. But there were just so many things intrinsic to the game's design and execution that I just didn't go for, it'd really have to be a full overhaul to get me interested.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

How does driving even work on PC? On PS5 it’s definitely not my favorite and I’m no good at it but it uses the adaptive triggers in a pretty cool way and if you pay attention to them you’ll end up spinning out less at the very least, but…I can’t imagine trying any of that poo poo with digital input like a keyboard.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Rockman Reserve posted:

How does driving even work on PC? On PS5 it’s definitely not my favorite and I’m no good at it but it uses the adaptive triggers in a pretty cool way and if you pay attention to them you’ll end up spinning out less at the very least, but…I can’t imagine trying any of that poo poo with digital input like a keyboard.

Poorly in a car, decent on a motorcycle. Like anywhere else apparently

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Lobok posted:

Haven't played Cyberpunk but from both of your posts it sounds like they went overboard on giving players easy drifting?

I mean, it is beyond easy to do an Akira slide, but that's often not what you want to do.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

How many complete overhauls has CP2077 had now? It almost qualifies as a GaaS

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Opopanax posted:

How many complete overhauls has CP2077 had now? It almost qualifies as a GaaS

None yet?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

It had one with patch 1.6 that changed its entire skill tree amongst other things.

I mean debatable if that's anything near an overhaul but it's significant.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Morpheus posted:

It had one with patch 1.6 that changed its entire skill tree amongst other things.

I mean debatable if that's anything near an overhaul but it's significant.

The skill tree overhaul is part of 2.0, 1.6 just had a few tweaks

very risky blowjob
Sep 27, 2015

CzarChasm posted:

I'm sure this is a classic complaint at this point, but the cars in CP2077 are just anti-fun to do anything with.

they were awesome back before the game patched them; for a long while, driving consisted of nothing but drunk-drifting every time you wanted to make a turn, to the point that i'm pretty sure it's why when you hit pedestrians they just kinda slowly laid down on the ground -- because there was no way to drive WITHOUT sideswiping pedestrians constantly. that was the future i wanted to live in

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Roblo posted:

The car you get for starting with the...whatever faction PanAm is from. That car is awesome, I thought it handled beautifully. Loved driving it about.
Haven’t played the game so i’m guessing you mean TransAm. The faction is my step brother Eric and it isn’t awesome. His whole family is a bunch of hicks. If it’s “beautiful” then you’d love the pig-filled barbed-wire shithole his kind slurps worms from.

edit: wrong thread sorry

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

The last straw for Phoenotopia: I found out that all the conveniently placed angel statues near save points do not become fast travel points for backtracking in the future. There's five (eventually six or seven) teleports I've unlocked which require hauling rear end back and forth across the map, and no way to bail on an area if it's getting too difficult or frustrating/tedious. The best you can do is grind healing items by fishing/cooking and barely scrape by as you try to get through or back from the point you're at

I need a palate cleanser game where the difficulty isn't baked in through terrible controls and weaponized tedium.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

SLOSifl posted:

Haven’t played the game so i’m guessing you mean TransAm. The faction is my step brother Eric and it isn’t awesome. His whole family is a bunch of hicks. If it’s “beautiful” then you’d love the pig-filled barbed-wire shithole his kind slurps worms from.

What. That is not, in fact, what I meant. And I have no idea what you're on about.

Edit: the car is apparently the "Thornton Galena 80845" and I thought it was great fun to drive.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Roblo posted:

What. That is not, in fact, what I meant. And I have no idea what you're on about.

Edit: the car is apparently the "Thornton Galena 80845" and I thought it was great fun to drive.

The Rattler? Yeah that's a sweet car.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Lives in Mario games. I got the itch to give Sunshine a try, and it's about the worst case scenario after replaying Odyssey, which made them functionally irrelevant after about five minutes.

It's the FLUDDless platforming stages that really makes it a problem. The game gives you more hitpoints than any other Mario I can think of, but it's irrelevant because they're tricky platforming where messing up makes you fall to your death. They just eat up lives, and there's not necessarily a 1up early on. The other problem is that they're always a secret level-within-a-level, so getting a game over kicks you back out past the main level and to the game world, and you have to run all the way back in every time. Just...ugh, useless holdover game design.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Captain Hygiene posted:

Lives in Mario games. I got the itch to give Sunshine a try, and it's about the worst case scenario after replaying Odyssey, which made them functionally irrelevant after about five minutes.

It's the FLUDDless platforming stages that really makes it a problem. The game gives you more hitpoints than any other Mario I can think of, but it's irrelevant because they're tricky platforming where messing up makes you fall to your death. They just eat up lives, and there's not necessarily a 1up early on. The other problem is that they're always a secret level-within-a-level, so getting a game over kicks you back out past the main level and to the game world, and you have to run all the way back in every time. Just...ugh, useless holdover game design.

I played through 64 for the first time a few months ago and if it weren't for save states I never would have made it

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Captain Hygiene posted:

While I agree the lives are dumb and unnecessary: almost every fluddless stage has a 1 up somewhere near the beginning you can just grab every time you die IIRC because I guess even nintendo realized it's a dumb and unnecessary mechanic but refused to change for unknown reasons. See also: Mario Galaxy just giving you 50 lives or whatever every time you turned the game on.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Nuebot posted:

While I agree the lives are dumb and unnecessary: almost every fluddless stage has a 1 up somewhere near the beginning you can just grab every time you die IIRC because I guess even nintendo realized it's a dumb and unnecessary mechanic but refused to change for unknown reasons. See also: Mario Galaxy just giving you 50 lives or whatever every time you turned the game on.

I was trying to remember how they handled 1ups for later stages, but they kind of screwed it up for the first one. It's most of the way through the stage and you can die going for it. It's pretty easy to die on the way there, too, especially since the controls are refined compared to 64 but still kind of squirrelly compared to newer games.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Captain Hygiene posted:

I was trying to remember how they handled 1ups for later stages, but they kind of screwed it up for the first one. It's most of the way through the stage and you can die going for it. It's pretty easy to die on the way there, too, especially since the controls are refined compared to 64 but still kind of squirrelly compared to newer games.

A lot of them are hidden by like, standing on a tiny outcropping or ground pounding a nail on one of those platforms with a nail in each corner, that sort of thing.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Three-sided PvP maps are an objectively awful experience, and I have no idea why multiple MMOs decided that was gonna be their main form of PvP.

You know why soccer doesn't have three teams on the field? Because that would loving suck and everyone knows it. So I'm not sure why MMO developers as a whole decided to reinvent that wheel, somehow produce a pyramid, and still think they're good to drive.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Cleretic posted:

Three-sided PvP maps are an objectively awful experience, and I have no idea why multiple MMOs decided that was gonna be their main form of PvP.

You know why soccer doesn't have three teams on the field? Because that would loving suck and everyone knows it. So I'm not sure why MMO developers as a whole decided to reinvent that wheel, somehow produce a pyramid, and still think they're good to drive.

My friend, let me introduce you to Omegaball

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlWZgFuWBHA

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back

Captain Hygiene posted:

Lives in Mario games. I got the itch to give Sunshine a try,

I'm a chuckster!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Probably the most annoying thing about Starfield is that when building your ship the game seems to randomly(?) place connections between habs. I can understand not wanting to put a door/opening between every single connecting point but it does lead to situations where your ship becomes a maze where you have to go like two over and one forward to go to the second level.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Cleretic posted:

I think the idea is that PVP between only two factions can eternally stalemate or if one side gets an advantage the other has very little recourse. A third faction in the mix can upset those dynamics and due to the odd number prevents things from ever reaching perfect equilibrium.

Emphasis on *idea* because I don't think I've ever actually seen it work out that way. Usually those games are a big ugly slog no matter what.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

In a very crowded year, i'm not sure what Starfield is selling when the premise is "What if Mass Effect had no cool aliens, doubled down on the bare-bone open-world, and didnt even give you a vehicle to move around in."

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

"if we play our cards right they're gonna think it's Star Citizen"

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Inspector Gesicht posted:

In a very crowded year, i'm not sure what Starfield is selling when the premise is "What if Mass Effect had no cool aliens, doubled down on the bare-bone open-world, and didnt even give you a vehicle to move around in."

Hope of entertaining Bethesda bugs.

At least that was it for me, and I didn't so much buy it as get a month of Gamepass.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Finally picked up Pathfinder: War of the Righteous on sale and using Pathfinder 1e rules means you only get one real action per turn and it's annoying as gently caress.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost
In Fallout 4/Skyrim:
open map, fast travel to nearest location
(loading screen)
walk to building quest NPC is in, enter
(loading screen)
find quest NPC and talk to them

In Starfield:
open map, zoom out to star systems, fast travel to star system
(grav jump sequence, loading screen)
you're orbiting the planet; open map, fast travel to landing point
(loading screen, landing cutscene)
much of the time you're still in your ship, so exit
(loading screen)
walk to building quest NPC is in, enter
(loading screen)
find quest NPC and talk to them

I'm in a "go do a thing and come back so I can send you to do a second thing in that same place and come back" quest chain and this is getting silly. Fast traveling from the missions list might skip one cutscene or loading screen but that's about it. Good thing they added more steps to fast travel in the fast travel game

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

mind the walrus posted:

Finally picked up Pathfinder: War of the Righteous on sale and using Pathfinder 1e rules means you only get one real action per turn and it's annoying as gently caress.

Even though the game offers a turn-based mode and hews close to its turn-based tabletop rules, it very much seems like it's paced and balanced much more around real-time mode. Turn-based will just really slow the pace down to a crawl, particularly considering the sheer number of pointless filler fights it throws at you.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

I'm in a "go do a thing and come back so I can send you to do a second thing in that same place and come back" quest chain and this is getting silly. Fast traveling from the missions list might skip one cutscene or loading screen but that's about it. Good thing they added more steps to fast travel in the fast travel game

I can see this, yes. Fast travel has kind of looped back around itself in a way, especially in open world games. Watching my kid play Elden Ring and, I swear to god, like 1/3 of the time is looking at loading screens while he bounces all over the map.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Perestroika posted:

Even though the game offers a turn-based mode and hews close to its turn-based tabletop rules, it very much seems like it's paced and balanced much more around real-time mode. Turn-based will just really slow the pace down to a crawl, particularly considering the sheer number of pointless filler fights it throws at you.

I'm spoiled on Pathfinder 2e which has the 3 action system so I can't help but think of how much I'd prefer that, and I'm hesitant to go full real-time because it feels like I'll get ganked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

You could definitely cut down on some of the busywork if you were allowed to call people.