Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

No one gives Australia poo poo about it.

Maybe people should start doing that. :australia:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

My best friend in Germany texted me out of the blue that it’s annoying how people in the US call it America because there are two continents called America blah blah etc

There is a loving peeve. I use, and the vast majority of people I interact with use, United States for the noun and US for the adjective. It’s europeans that call it America and then scold us for calling it America.

In my experience as an American people call it America pretty casually and nobody I hang out with is exactly patriotic. :shrug:

What is annoying is when people insist on saying “USian” or act like it’s confusing. Sorry I’m not the inventor of demonyms but it is “American.”

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
'god bless America'

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

I'll call the citizens of the United States of America whatever they demand because they can easily shoot or bomb me. When you have nukes you make the rules.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Henchman of Santa posted:

In my experience as an American people call it America pretty casually and nobody I hang out with is exactly patriotic. :shrug:

What is annoying is when people insist on saying “USian” or act like it’s confusing. Sorry I’m not the inventor of demonyms but it is “American.”

États-Unien

According to some of my cousins

Peaches in paradise I hate it. It’s just fuckin US.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Why is half the world named after some navigator I otherwise know nothing about?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

God bless Vespucciland

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Being called a red state what doesn’t matter at all because we are all nazi assholes annoys me. Our mayor is a democratic black woman, our governor is a democrat and he’s kind of an rear end in a top hat but he’s not a republican so there is that.

But I’m supposed to feel ashamed because some hicks in Garyville voted for a fascist?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

The organisation I'm doing a cert3 with has some terrible email system where they can't send standard replies, so whenever I send them a question I get the response with a new subject line and without my email (or any previous ones) quoted at the bottom so I have to go back and forth between different email chains to see the context of what they're saying. And their responses are always extremely minimal, often to the point of not even answering the question, so I always have to prompt them for more information, which makes the issue worse because I then have to go back and forth between three or more email chains to keep track of the entire discussion.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Tiggum posted:

The organisation I'm doing a cert3 with has some terrible email system where they can't send standard replies, so whenever I send them a question I get the response with a new subject line and without my email (or any previous ones) quoted at the bottom so I have to go back and forth between different email chains to see the context of what they're saying. And their responses are always extremely minimal, often to the point of not even answering the question, so I always have to prompt them for more information, which makes the issue worse because I then have to go back and forth between three or more email chains to keep track of the entire discussion.

I know you post some weird poo poo sometimes but you really did not deserve to be sent to what is clearly the 7th circle of hell.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

docbeard posted:

I know you post some weird poo poo sometimes but you really did not deserve to be sent to what is clearly the 7th circle of hell.

Agreed

Peeve: I love having longish hair but getting out of the shower and feeling like I have a big hat on is very annoying. Chill out hair. You will dry soon.

Also I’m annoyed at myself for being annoyed at my hair bc MY WIFE’s is like rear end length vs my chin length and it takes days for hers to dry

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
I can empathize. As a kid i had waist-length hair and it could never fully dry by the time i left the house after my morning showers, so all winter my hair would freeze on my walk to the school bus stop

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

InediblePenguin posted:

I can empathize. As a kid i had waist-length hair and it could never fully dry by the time i left the house after my morning showers, so all winter my hair would freeze on my walk to the school bus stop

That sounds very annoying.

Also another very niche peeve: my best friend in this world likes to text me videos of Natasha, Pierre, and the Great Comet of1812

Just loving read War and Peace sis (it’s a complicated russian novel, everyone’s got 9 different names) and I do in fact identify way too strongly with Pierre

quote:

Balaga is fun
Bolkonsky is crazy
Mary is plain
Dolokhov is fierce
Hélène is a slut
Anatole is hot
Marya is old-school
Sonya is good
Natasha is young
And Andrey isn't here
These characters live rent free in my head and I need them to leave

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 02:13 on Sep 12, 2023

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
---{Graphics}---
☐ You forget what reality is

The first time I saw this template for reviewing Steam games, I thought it was adorable. It reminded me of when I was like 12 and writing reviews for video games. It tries to be funny and tries to be edgy and fails at being both. The spelling, grammar, punctuation is all inconsistent. They use the term "earrape." It feels like coming home to 2003 somethingawful. So I immediately followed this guy. He reviewed all his games with this awful template. But then I saw someone else using the template. What was this? But then another, and another, and I realized this wasn't just this one kid's goofy little style, it's actually a widely used template used by lots and lots of people.

It really made me lose a lot of adoration for the guy I was following.

It's a pet peeve because it's an objectively awful template even for lazy people but nobody cares. Nobody cares!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I just want to take a shower without the bathroom turning into grand central station ffs

I thought 6 am would get me that

WHY IS EVERYONE AWAKE

DID I MISS THE MEMO

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Lock the door.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

We've got just one bathroom for now, and kids can't always successfully wait. Work is underway on a renovation for the second bathroom, but kids definitely don't help that process along either

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I dunno if this peeve just makes me a grouch or if I'm old. Probably both! Regardless, definite peeve:

People who send me messages in pieces. Like

Hey
Heard back on the thing!
Fantastic news!

It's like just send it to me all at once, please!

Extra peeve when they just leave it at the last line until I respond. My brother in Christ just tell me the thing. Don't make me pry it out of you. It makes me not want to respond just out of spite, to see how long it takes them to just give up and tell me.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Silver Falcon posted:

I dunno if this peeve just makes me a grouch or if I'm old. Probably both! Regardless, definite peeve:

Hey
Heard back on the thing!
Fantastic news!

Extra peeve when they just leave it at the last line until I respond. My brother in Christ just tell me the thing. Don't make me pry it out of you. It makes me not want to respond just out of spite, to see how long it takes them to just give up and tell me.

Good morning

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Silver Falcon posted:

Hey
Heard back on the thing!
Fantastic news!

Hello

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Silver Falcon posted:

Hey
Heard back on the thing!
Fantastic news!

Can I ask you a question?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I always like people who are like

JD: lorem
JD: ipsum dolor
JD: sit amet
JD: aut iste odit et recusandae voluptates qui labore commodi sit rerum tenetur sit repellendus nemo quo quia suscipit est tempora veniam In totam similique eos debitis eaque et blanditiis consequatur in odit perspiciatis aut consequuntur eaque qui rerum incidunt et nilla debitis rem molestiae exercitationem sit ipsam doloremque et nostrum adipisci non natus dolorum
JD: *nulla

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
Somebody wrote to corporate to complain that their cashier didn't make enough small talk. I hope that customer dies in Minecraft

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

docbeard posted:

Can I ask you a question?

There's someone I don't know at my work who periodically messages me on teams, to say 'hi, how are you?'

I will literally never reply to this person unless they actually tell me what they want, although I guess I am curious about what it actually is they want from me.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

InediblePenguin posted:

Somebody wrote to corporate to complain that their cashier didn't make enough small talk. I hope that customer dies in Minecraft

I hope they die in or near lava so they lose all their poo poo.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Forgot all our euro power socket adaptors at home so now gotta go borrow some from my cousin in the middle of the night

Why do we not have compatible power socket technology in 2023

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Because changing over all the already installed hardware and production facilities would be massively expensive.

I do wish everyone just used Schuko once and for all, and that would be the end of it.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I still wait a moment for the "Please buy me" window to pop up when I open a .zip or other archive even though I use 7zip now and haven't used WinRAR in god knows how long.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

It's getting more and more of a pain in the rear end to migrate to a new PC. I do blame Microsoft for a lot of it--the constant badgering to use a MS account for your user account, shoving OneDrive down my throat, etc.--but there's weird poo poo in the details, like a network card setting that just...turns it off when idle?? No, goddamn you, we use this as a mail/Website server! It has to stay online! I've been upgrading computers since the 3.1 days, and this is by far the worst loving migration I have ever dealt with, and it should be straightforward as hell. Luckily I only have to do it once every decade or so.

Related, because I don't know where else to ask this in prose (and AI wasn't helpful):
I have my old computer connected via cable to ethernet. I have an external drive connected to the old computer. Both are working fine and accessible remotely via my laptop.
I have mapped Old and External as network drives on the new computer.
I open a directory on Old and the corresponding directory on New.
I select files on Old and drag them to copy to New.
Windows says, "Whoa, 67 of these files have the same name. What should I do?" I tell it to copy anyway. It does the Preparing to Copy thing, numerating all the files.
Windows says, "Whoa, you need to give an admin OK for that." I do. It does the Preparing to Copy thing again.
Windows says, "Location Old not available. Make sure it's connected, online, etc. Or maybe it's been deleted!"
Bitch, it's right here! We're both looking at it!
I run a reapplication of access rights to all of Old and all of External (interrupted occasionally by New going offline to "save power" :dumb:).
Same thing happens, every time.

:bang: If anyone knows what I'm missing, please, please tell me. I have a bunch of poo poo to move from Old to New and no immediately better way to do so.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

credburn posted:

Tinder has so many hiking enthusiasts that I makes me wonder if hikers are just insufferable people

My area is lousy with them and I can assure you they are. It's one of the things you're supposed to be into around here.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Still less insufferable than runners, in my experience.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

the holy poopacy posted:

This is true.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Hirayuki posted:

:bang: If anyone knows what I'm missing, please, please tell me. I have a bunch of poo poo to move from Old to New and no immediately better way to do so.

Windows sucks and it's getting worse.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

the holy poopacy posted:

Oof, definitely :negative:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Hirayuki posted:

It's getting more and more of a pain in the rear end to migrate to a new PC. I do blame Microsoft for a lot of it--the constant badgering to use a MS account for your user account, shoving OneDrive down my throat, etc.--but there's weird poo poo in the details, like a network card setting that just...turns it off when idle?? No, goddamn you, we use this as a mail/Website server! It has to stay online! I've been upgrading computers since the 3.1 days, and this is by far the worst loving migration I have ever dealt with, and it should be straightforward as hell. Luckily I only have to do it once every decade or so.

Related, because I don't know where else to ask this in prose (and AI wasn't helpful):
I have my old computer connected via cable to ethernet. I have an external drive connected to the old computer. Both are working fine and accessible remotely via my laptop.
I have mapped Old and External as network drives on the new computer.
I open a directory on Old and the corresponding directory on New.
I select files on Old and drag them to copy to New.
Windows says, "Whoa, 67 of these files have the same name. What should I do?" I tell it to copy anyway. It does the Preparing to Copy thing, numerating all the files.
Windows says, "Whoa, you need to give an admin OK for that." I do. It does the Preparing to Copy thing again.
Windows says, "Location Old not available. Make sure it's connected, online, etc. Or maybe it's been deleted!"
Bitch, it's right here! We're both looking at it!
I run a reapplication of access rights to all of Old and all of External (interrupted occasionally by New going offline to "save power" :dumb:).
Same thing happens, every time.

Maybe something with network & sharing in Control Panel? I saw similar behavior at my job after we upgraded to Windows 11, some peoples' machines refused to map/connect to network shares. We had to disable offline file sync in Sync Center then enable network discovery & file/print sharing then reboot to get everything connected. Could be worth checking into.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Find a nerd and bully them into doing that nerd poo poo for you bro

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

I hate when you bring up that you want to start exercising to someone and the person just assumes that you're doing it to lose weight. There is nothing wrong with wanting to exercise to lose weight, but this is often followed up by a comment on whether or not they think you "need" to lose weight and then something about your body size. I know that this isn't always intended in a lovely way but it gets really annoying. Just be like "Hey, that's great!" or something!!

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Maybe something with network & sharing in Control Panel?
I'll definitely give it a try; thanks. Now also fighting with Chrome Remote Desktop not letting me loving click on anything.

oldpainless posted:

Find a nerd and bully them into doing that nerd poo poo for you bro
I'm a nerd married to a nerd and this dumb poo poo is kicking our nerd asses. gently caress.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Hirayuki posted:

I have a bunch of poo poo to move from Old to New and no immediately better way to do so.
Is there some reason you can't copy everything onto the external drive then plug it into the new computer and copy it back off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

There might not be room. But I'll give it a try if the settings-futzing fails.