Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

mystes posted:

I don't know why they didn't just copy the royalty model for the unreal engine (5% of revenue for the game over the first $1 million) but they must have realized that no unity games make more than $1 million

isn't pretty much every gacha game built on unity, 5% of that pie is a lot of money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
drat, didn't know pokemon was struggling that much these days

mystes
May 31, 2006

repiv posted:

isn't pretty much every gacha game built on unity, 5% of that pie is a lot of money
are individual gacha games making more than $1 million? I don't really know anything about them so maybe I'm underestimating the number of unity games raking in cash

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

mystes posted:

are individual gacha games making more than $1 million? I don't really know anything about them so maybe I'm underestimating the number of unity games raking in cash

Genshin's made billions

mystes
May 31, 2006

huh and genshin is using unity too

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
2 million EVERYDAY

mystes
May 31, 2006

how the gently caress are people spending that much on gacha games wtf

Arbetor
Mar 28, 2010

Gonna play tasty.

Tangents posted:

Been knocking out a chunk of these. Still good picrosses, but the fusion thing gets a little tedious. The list of answers you can use keeps growing and growing with each puzzle, but I'm using stuff like 'iron' and 'fire' again and again.

Also, looking at the stuff I haven't unlocked yet, it shows the size of each puzzle. I see a few 30x30 and one 40x30, which is probably going to turn out easy if it's the only one of its kind, but still sounds intimidating.

As someone that has played a lot of nonograms across a lot of different platforms, its not bad. I appreciate the difficulty tuning, being able to set it so the game doesn't freak out because I misclicked is appreciated. My biggest complaint is the game is a little slow in getting from puzzle to puzzle. Part of this is the fusion stuff (interesting idea, like those old God games where you combine elements), part of it is the fancy transition effects, part of it is just an abundance of confirmations. Yes, I want to solve this puzzle, that is why I double clicked on it.
One thing I really appreciate with zero assists: the starting fundamental puzzles are a good mix of challenging and easy. Most of these games involve entire play sessions of jamming through 5x5 puzzles with zero thought, but some of the initial 10x10 puzzles which are mixed in the 5x5s are legitimately challenging. After 3 or 4 sub-10 second clears, taking 2 or 3 minutes to clear a 10x10 is actually a good change.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

mystes posted:

because those games are using all the same tricks that get people addicted to gambling but without technically meeting the legal definition of gambling

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

Because they want a lot of money from that top 10%.

it's still stupid as poo poo because there are ways to make that sort of revenue grab without alienating everyone to this degree lol

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Never got that deep into Zero Ranger but I picked it up again since falling in love with Void Stranger. Got to Stage 4 for the first time and jeeze what a crazy sense of escalation, I don't think I blinked for like 2 minutes. Super cool game.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
How about gently caress Unity because they aren't adding any value and just demanding more money.

This is not ok under any circumstances what so ever and they are rightfully getting raked over the coals for it because of how stupid it is. This will not work and Unity is dead because of it. The DRM alone is hilariously unworkable.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I like how they keep being coy about their proprietary technology that lets them count installs like that won't be the first thing that comes to light in discovery in the inevitable lawsuit.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

finally some good gaming news https://store.steampowered.com/app/2478970/Tomb_Raider_IIII_Remastered/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hk55TwWYTFg

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

The only way the Unity thing could be remotely justifiable is if they were providing future-proof/live runtimes. (Which obviously they're not.)

I feel these aged so terribly and not because of the graphics. Even that nice Anniversary remake feels like a slog these days. But sure, great for nostalgia.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

mystes posted:

Same way fortnite made 5 billion a year. It has an unbelievable player count.

mystes posted:

I don't know why they didn't just copy the royalty model for the unreal engine (5% of revenue for the game over the first $1 million) but they must have realized that no unity games make more than $1 million

It's funny because the unreal engine royalty could probably theoretically end up being more more for a high enough budget game that makes enough money but it's just a way more reasonable way to do it and it's probably much easier for both epic games and the developer to just work that out on a case by case basis when a game somehow actually makes $1 million (because at that point the developer is obviously going to have proper accounting) rather than trying to keep track of literally every install of every indie game
The unreal model is conceptually simple but tying games to revenue is not easy and takes actual human hours of work to do and enforce. Having software automatically bill sounds more "scalable" (MBA brain) even though in reality it makes no loving sense here.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

teethgrinder posted:

I feel these aged so terribly and not because of the graphics. Even that nice Anniversary remake feels like a slog these days. But sure, great for nostalgia.

I'm gonna buy it anyways. Can't wait to play each of them for an hour or so and then quit in frustration after missing a ledge grab for the 200th time.

To this day, I don't think I've played past Greece in the first game, even in the more-tolerable Anniversary remake.

vv I mean yeah, my favorite games from the series were the middle trilogy, Legend, Anniversary and Underworld. They still felt like Tomb Raider but were just modern enough to not be irritating to play.

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Sep 14, 2023

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
I recently replayed Tomb Raider 1 for the first time and even with the clunky controls the eerie atmosphere and solitary exploration of these strange places make it stand head and shoulders over the modern games for me. It would not have thought so before replaying it.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

I like how they keep being coy about their proprietary technology that lets them count installs like that won't be the first thing that comes to light in discovery in the inevitable lawsuit.
I'd bet that their proprietary stuff is just this thing that they bought a few years back by acquiring IronSource. And, well:

wikipedia posted:

The platform and its programs have been rated potentially unwanted programs (PUP) or potentially unwanted applications (PUA) by anti-malware product vendors since 2014,[3] and by Windows Defender Antivirus since 2015.[4]

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

some multiplatform announcements from the nintendo direct (ie Steam):

SPYxANYA Operation Memories (2024) gives off Boku no Natsuyasumi vibes, as you play as Anya building a photo diary, going on outings with your parents and playing minigames.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QplvkQ33EpQ
SaGa Emerald Beyond (2024) carries on the gameplay and design style of Scarlet Grace but with a new cast of cool characters like a witch, a puppetmaster, a cowboy cop and her partner who are probably gay, a dandy dark lord, and an idol stuck in a tiny robot.

Unicorn Overload (March 8th 2024) is a team-up between Atlus and Vanillaware (13 Sentinels, Odin Sphere) that looks like it will be a gorgeous tactical RPG.

Contra: Operation Galuga (Q1 2024) is a remake (plus new content?) of the original game, and it may look a lil ugly (though not as ugly as Rogue Corps), but it is being handled by Wayforward, who developed fan-favorite Contra 4 for the DS.

also from the direct:

- Eastward is getting a life/farming sim DLC called Octopia at EOY 2023.
- Another Code 2 is coming to the west as part of a two-pack of an Another Code(Trace Memory in the US) collection, both having HD remakes that look quite nice. May be Switch-only, as the original games were on the Nintendo DS and Wii respectively.
- Wargroove 2, which IS coming to PC, has a release date: October 5th. Does anyone still care about Chucklefish at this point?
- Two more League of Legends spinoff games announced: Song of Nunu (November 3rd), and Bandle Tale.
- Eiyuden Chronicle Hundred Heroes (Suikoden's spiritual successor) release date: April 23rd, 2024

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Sep 14, 2023

Veotax
May 16, 2006

The big Cyberpunk 2.0 parch comes out on Thursday, about four days before the expansion launches.

Big things for this are that it completely re-does the skill tree, taking it from mostly incremental upgrades, to things like new abilities (and also some incremental upgrades to go along with them). They're released a build planner so you can get a look at what's changing.
Overhauls the police system to (hopefully) not be complete garbage.
Changes gear and cyberware. All of your armour comes from cyberware now, all clothing is entirely cosmetic it seems. I don't know for sure, but from reading the skill tree it seems like grenades and health recharges might be abilities on cooldown now and not consumables anymore?
Car chases and vehicle combat are a thing now and have been added to the base game as random events, don't know if they'll be in missions from the base game though, but definitely part of the expansion

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I think the first three TR games are pretty great tho 2 has way too many human enemies and not enough tomb raiding. I think the new graphics look like poo poo but it looks like you can swap between the graphics like the Halo MCC release so that's fine I guess.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

what is the safe level of unicorns

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Unicorn Overload is a really good name, but the game is actually called Unicorn Overlord, which might be better.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
I’m also pretty sure it isn’t coming out on PC. Which is weird as it’s coming out on Xbox but I guess there’s some “thing” at Vanillaware about releasing on computers.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Veotax posted:

Unicorn Overload is a really good name, but the game is actually called Unicorn Overlord, which might be better.
Unicorn over lard, a cooking game

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

yea sorry I think one website mentioned PC and then edited it out later. I wonder what Vanillaware's deal with PC is...

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

drat atlus x vanillaware is a good teamup. hopefully it comes out on pc eventually.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Still waiting for Odin Sphere and Muramasa. They have games on PC.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

mystes posted:

Hearthstone and Genshin Impact

E:f,b

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

You figure Atlus would sit Vanillaware aside and show them some of their Steam sales figures. One of the reasons I finally switched over to PC gaming was because at this point, all of the major Japanese publishers jumped onto Steam. It's a lot better than it was about a decade ago.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Gambling on waifus AND husbandos? Take my house.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Detective No. 27 posted:

You figure Atlus would sit Vanillaware aside and show them some of their Steam sales figures. One of the reasons I finally switched over to PC gaming was because at this point, all of the major Japanese publishers jumped onto Steam. It's a lot better than it was about a decade ago.
I feel like Atlus themselves only put games on PC because Sega owns them, otherwise we probably wouldn't have gotten anything Atlus on Steam.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The Etrian Odyssey Origins Collection is $50

Each game is $25 as well

The collection is a great deal imo.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

mystes posted:

Unicorn over lard, a cooking game

Honestly, they should make a cooking game.

No Vanillaware game has ever been released on PC, but maybe this one will since they're partnering with Atlus? We'll see, I suppose.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Begemot posted:

Honestly, they should make a cooking game.

No Vanillaware game has ever been released on PC, but maybe this one will since they're partnering with Atlus? We'll see, I suppose.

yo is this the pentiment expansion pack??

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

These types of collections are really great. The new visuals suck but toggling old and new visuals on the fly is always really cool.

This is also another scratch in the “come on Capcom, when the gently caress are you going to do this for RE1-3” column.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Far Cry 6 is 15 bucks on steam. Not the best game ever, but I had tons of fun with it and I think maybe it was a bit unfairly maligned. A good game for what it is and definitely worth the price if you like open world shooters.

I also picked up Far Cry Blood Dragon for less than 4 bucks. Because why not, I've heard good things

e: also why does Far Cry have a trademark next to it? Don't think I've ever seen a game on steam have a trademark icon even though they are surely trademarked in the most part

For some reason it didn't look as weird with the ancient graphics, but her waist is like four inches wide lol. Looks fun though

Play fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Sep 15, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

So it's kinda ogre battle?!