Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

New USB-C charging cables... that transfer at USB2 speeds:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/apple-selling-new-60w-and-240w-usb-c-woven-charge-cables.2401676/

quote:

It turns out the company has also made available a new 60W 1-meter USB-C Charge Cable ($19) and a 240W 2-meter USB-C Charge Cable ($29), designed for charging iPhone 15 models, iPads, and Macs.
Apple advertises the new woven charge cable with USB-C connectors on both ends as "ideal for charging, syncing, and transferring data between USB-C devices." It supports charging of up to 240 watts and transfers data at USB 2 rates.
The higher-end iPhone 15 Pro and iPhone 15 Pro Max are also equipped with a USB-C port, but those devices support USB 3 data transfer speeds of up to 10 Gbps over a cable. For this reason, Apple made its previously-existing Thunderbolt 4 Pro cable available in a shorter one-meter size for $69.

Here you stupid assholes, have USB-C. BTW, we're limiting it to USB2 speeds, unless you spend $70 on a cable.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Sep 14, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Taima posted:

You can also now connect a USB C cable between your iphone and your airpods and charge the airpods from your phone.
This seems useful but has almost no use case. When you’re out and about, you’re unlikely to have JUST a USB-C cable with you. It’s more likely you have a cable AND a power bank. So until we can wirelessly charge our AirPods from our phones, it’s an extremely niche feature.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Does anyone know if Xfinity Mobile will have any trade in bonuses or should I just get it through apple?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

New USB-C charging cables... that transfer at USB2 speeds:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/apple-selling-new-60w-and-240w-usb-c-woven-charge-cables.2401676/

Here you stupid assholes, have USB-C. BTW, we're limiting it to USB2 speeds, unless you spend $70 on a cable.

This has always been the case with longer charging cables. Anker's too. For VR headset cables, a plastic signal booster is required halfway through the cable for USB 3 speeds, too.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Sep 14, 2023

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
One of the biggest lies about USB-C is that you can do it all with just one cable. In reality there are like a bunch of different cable specs so that one cable can’t fast charge while the next one that looks completely identical can.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Boris Galerkin posted:

One of the biggest lies about USB-C is that you can do it all with just one cable. In reality there are like a bunch of different cable specs so that one cable can’t fast charge while the next one that looks completely identical can.

Its the dumbest fuckin thing, my boss just bought a ton of usb c cables thinking they would work for data transfer for our new hub/docking monitors and they loving did not do anything but charge the laptop.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Josh Lyman posted:

It’s more likely you have a cable AND a power bank.

According to what exactly?
I literally had my airpods die on the train two days ago and always have a USB-C cable for my macbook in my backpack. I've never owned a power bank. Cool now our personal anecdotes cancel out.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

LionYeti posted:

Does anyone know if Xfinity Mobile will have any trade in bonuses or should I just get it through apple?

Same question. I’m under my parents plan still and they switched from Verizon to Xfinity Mobile and it seems like I got dicked out of really good trade in deals :(

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I got a trade-in deal for my 14 Pro through Xfinity Mobile so I would be a bit shocked if they didn't continue that this year.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
My first issue Airpod Pros have the static when using noise cancelling issue, but they are already out of the 3-year post sale free replacement period, what are my options?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

junan_paalla posted:

My first issue Airpod Pros have the static when using noise cancelling issue, but they are already out of the 3-year post sale free replacement period, what are my options?

Apple just released a newer AirPod Pro 2 with a USB-C charging case and think you're going to love it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

junan_paalla posted:

Was that for that specific issue? They replaced mine no questions asked for that.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Boris Galerkin posted:

Yep came a cropper with this before with HDDs. I had zero issue with lightning because I knew exactly how it would behave when I plugged it in.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
I’m doing the get ready part of the pre order for tomorrow and it asked me to confirm my carrier but then I’m just kinda stuck on a screen with checkmarks and when I closed the screen it didn’t save the carrier pre check? Is that normal?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

junan_paalla posted:

Buy new ones. Mine do the same thing and Apple refused to replace them. They weren’t manufactured within a certain window.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
My only draw to the USB C change is using the same cables to charge my junk.

When they brag about the data transfer speeds on a corded iPhone, who are they talking to? Who keeps huge files on their phones that need to be transferred by cable to their computers?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Rolo posted:

When they brag about the data transfer speeds on a corded iPhone, who are they talking to? Who keeps huge files on their phones that need to be transferred by cable to their computers?

The only use case i can think of is if you do heavy photo or cinematography and need to move it to a desktop or something quick.

I know there are other ways just thinking of use cases

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
The 15 Pro models get the “Thread” IoT connectivity but according to the Home Automation thread “Thread” is dogshit at least at the moment.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
As expected im still between the 15 Pro Max and the Plus now. I was hoping the keynote would make deciding one way or another easier but it just complicated it all.

Reasons to get the Pro Max:
- Better battery life vs Plus due to processor
- Newer processor
- high refresh screen / Pro Motion
- Base storage is 256GB, which would be nice as I have 60GB left on my 128GB XR.
- garbage base 15 colors

Reasons to get the Plus
- $300 cheaper (if I get the 128GB version)
- lighter
- dont need extra camera, 3.0 transfer speeds, action button, AOD
- garbage pro colors
- despite 1 y/o processor, will still be huge uplift from XR's A12 chip.

Thoughts goons?

This is especially hard because my XR was comparatively cheap even for the middle road capacity option and it’s now at 5 full years of service. Not sure how long I’ll hold onto this next phone, considering the phone market has matured and it took apple this many generations to get me to upgrade (I used to upgrade every 2 years because the gains were huge)

buglord fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Sep 14, 2023

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

Hey thread!

I’ve been rocking an XR for over 4 1/2 years now, but plan to upgrade to a 15 Pro Max. I have one of these wireless chargers that I use at night for my XR. It’s always worked fine for me and my spouse’s 11.

However, I don’t know anything about wireless charging standards and have no clue whether or not it will work with the 15PM (or whether it’s even a good idea to use an off-brand wireless charger with a new device)? It would be great to not have to change my wireless charge but I will if the thread experts say it’s necessary or just a good idea to avoid off-brand issues.

Thanks! :)

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
You want something that specifically says MagSafe compatible and does the 15W fast charging. I’d recommend avoiding generic poo poo and go with Apple, Belkin, or Anker.

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

buglord posted:

Thoughts goons?

This is especially hard because my XR was comparatively cheap even for the middle road capacity option and it’s now at 5 full years of service. Not sure how long I’ll hold onto this next phone, considering the phone market has matured and it took apple this many generations to get me to upgrade (I used to upgrade every 2 years because the gains were huge)

Hey XR buddy :wave:

FWIW, I’m going with the pro max because I figure it’s nice to have the better battery and processor as I plan to hold onto the phone for a good number of years, I hope.

I would consider holding onto my XR longer - it’s been a great phone overall and the first I’ve held onto beyond a couple years. But I’ve hit the point where I pretty much have to charge the battery in the evening for a bit if I have a “medium” use day. Also, it often stutters pretty badly when doing things like opening up the camera app. I’m pretty patient but it’s gotten bad enough it’s actually annoying.

When I consider the cost spread out over 4-5 years, the additional cost of the pro max doesn’t feel that bad. Good luck!

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

Jose Oquendo posted:

You want something that specifically says MagSafe compatible and does the 15W fast charging. I’d recommend avoiding generic poo poo and go with Apple, Belkin, or Anker.

Thank you! I appreciate the advice!

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Fireside Nut posted:

Thank you! I appreciate the advice!

I learned the hard way after trying and returning poo poo because it definitely wasn’t working as advertised. Even generic poo poo that said it did the high speed wireless charging didn’t work. I’d also recommend checking out the accessories on apples website. You can at least see what brands should work and then buy them elsewhere or find a model that better suits your needs.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

to be clear, an old generic wireless charger will work but it’ll be slower

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Fireside Nut posted:

Hey XR buddy :wave:

Yeah I guess we’re identical in mindset then. XR probably has another several years of physical usefulness yet, but seemingly everything is taxing to it, even certain media heavy websites. Browsing becomes slow and before long the brightness gets throttled to 50% because it’s getting too hot. Ditto with FaceTime. And then reason why I’m entertaining the idea of the Pro Max is to ideally go a day of heavy use without charging - something that’s gonna be happening a lot on vacation this year. Sticker price is hard to swallow, but I guess $1.1k out of pocket after trade in isn’t horrible for another 4-5 years of service?

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

Jose Oquendo posted:

I learned the hard way after trying and returning poo poo because it definitely wasn’t working as advertised. Even generic poo poo that said it did the high speed wireless charging didn’t work. I’d also recommend checking out the accessories on apples website. You can at least see what brands should work and then buy them elsewhere or find a model that better suits your needs.

Thank you! Good idea - I’ll check it out

Clark Nova posted:

This is good to know. So, if I were to keep the old charger it shouldn’t cause any damage to a new pro max? In other words, there’s isn’t really any difference between the old off-brand charger and a magsafe other than the speed (10W v. 15W)?

Yep! Totally same mindset. It will be the most expensive phone I’ve ever purchased but I also consider how integral and essential it is to daily life now. I think it’s worth the extra couple hundred bucks in the long run (hopefully).

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Fireside Nut posted:

Thank you! Good idea - I’ll check it out

This is good to know. So, if I were to keep the old charger it shouldn’t cause any damage to a new pro max? In other words, there’s isn’t really any difference between the old off-brand charger and a magsafe other than the speed (10W v. 15W)

You’re not even getting 10w with what you have now. Non-MagSafe charging on iPhones caps out at 7.5. I would highly suggest living it up and getting a proper 15w MagSafe charging setup.

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

Jose Oquendo posted:

You’re not even getting 10w with what you have now. Non-MagSafe charging on iPhones caps out at 7.5. I would highly suggest living it up and getting a proper 15w MagSafe charging setup.

The wireless charger just sits on my bedside table so I don’t generally use it other than to charge overnight, but, you’re right, maybe it is time to live it up haha

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Fireside Nut posted:

The wireless charger just sits on my bedside table so I don’t generally use it other than to charge overnight, but, you’re right, maybe it is time to live it up haha

The nightstand mode or whatever it’s called is pretty cool and I would try and get the hardware to use it

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Jose Oquendo posted:

The nightstand mode or whatever it’s called is pretty cool and I would try and get the hardware to use it
What charge stand are you using? Because StandBy hasn't been working for me on the iOS17 betas and now on the RC and I'm wondering if it's my stand that's the problem.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Rolo posted:

Content creators

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Rageaholic posted:

What charge stand are you using? Because StandBy hasn't been working for me on the iOS17 betas and now on the RC and I'm wondering if it's my stand that's the problem.

I’m phone posting so I don’t have a link handy, but it’s that Anker 3-in-1 cube.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

Fireside Nut posted:

Just keep the old charger, OP. If it works, it works. Slow charging overnight is healthier for the battery anyway. I have a Magsafe charger for my desk but still use the same old Ikea Qi charger I've had for 7 billion years on the bedstand.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

POCKET CHOMP posted:

Just keep the old charger, OP. If it works, it works. Slow charging overnight is healthier for the battery anyway. I have a Magsafe charger for my desk but still use the same old Ikea Qi charger I've had for 7 billion years on the bedstand.

Yeah when I put the phone down for the night I don’t care how quick it charges

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Please don’t use knock off chargers

I’m moving from a 13 pro to 15 max simply for usbc

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

kri kri posted:

Please don’t use knock off chargers

You can’t tell me what to do Tim.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

You can’t tell me what to do Tim.

Only YOU can prevent electrical fires!!

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Clark Nova posted:

The actual charger you plug into the wall needs to support 15w, as we as the wireless part as we, right? What’s the go to combo, a charger from Anker and Apple’s MagSafe puck?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

The belkin trio one is what I use