Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
why would they want to close offices for no reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

It’s all too believable that some unhinged gamers made death threats. This whole situation must really suck for everybody with a real job at unity

E: self identified gamers are the goddamn worst

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Unity doesn't make it's money from what its most popular for ironically, it's mobile ad space for years already (decade, maybe more?) so all the outrage comes from the place they are not super concerned with economically anyways.... not sure if its enough of a PR desaster (the tiny 5% drop says no) but I can easily imagine they will go on with this and no one will give a gently caress in 6 months from now.

Also since it was mentioned, Epic makes most of their money from Fortnite so idk if their royalty model is sustainable or a good example for others. Not to mention that Unreal sure is great and all but not necessarily the engine you want to switch to from Unity.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
calling cap on the death threat until i see an actual police report

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Fruits of the sea posted:

It’s all too believable that some unhinged gamers made death threats. This whole situation must really suck for everybody with a real job at unity

E: self identified gamers are the goddamn worst

Gamers FTW.

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
...rough day at the orifice.

"There's no way all these developers who have mastered multiple programming languages and 3d modeling software and DAWs and video editing suites can leave our tool for any of the plethora of more reasonable alternatives. It would be too much work for them."

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Yep, if they don't go to police about this I will call bs on threats.
It's easy to believe most devs about them receiving threats because it's GAMERS after all, but it's also really easy to believe sociopath executives lying about it.

Sininu fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Sep 14, 2023

ShinAli
May 2, 2003

The Kid better watch his step.
Last few days has been stressful as we're in the middle of production on Unity for our first game as a studio. We're definitely committed to getting off of Unity after we ship this game but I am not happy with a lot of the alternatives that I see (Godot is led by a bunch of wieners, UE is far too heavy for what we want to do).

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
this seems conspirational and i dont think they would close entire offices as a bit

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

ShinAli posted:

Godot is led by a bunch of wieners
Elaborate please.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Feels Villeneuve posted:

this seems conspirational and i dont think they would close entire offices as a bit

Perhaps the goal is to keep dissatisfied employees from staging some sort of walkout

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

gamers send death threats when devs include they/them pronouns in their ganes i don't think it is hard to believe they'd send them over this poo poo

it's lovely and unhelpful but people are dumb

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

gamers send death threats when devs include they/them pronouns in their ganes i don't think it is hard to believe they'd send them over this poo poo

it's lovely and unhelpful but people are dumb

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Sininu posted:

Elaborate please.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Someone tried to assassinate Mihoyo’s CEO over bunny girl costumes in Honkai one time.

Unity’s attempt here could theoretically impact both Honkai games and the much more massive Genshin Impact alone, and the other gacha games aren’t exactly less psycho fanbase wise - the much much smaller Limbus Company over in Korea crumpled like wet tissue paper and fired an illustrator after fanatics started showing up in their office lobby and having truck protests outside over some art. Fate grand order Japan has a guy who spent $70k. etc.

Crazy gacha gamers are like terminal online gamergate harassers on meth. Quite frankly if someone came in here and said fans were making calls for the military to invade unity HQ and liberate their mobile game, I would just go “yup, that sounds about right.”

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I'm not saying its not possible. I just choose to not believe John Riccitielo's word until someone pulls up the police report.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I'm more interested in lawsuits than death threats. If someone were going to sue unity over the new terms, would they have to do it after they were billed or would now be ok?

ShinAli
May 2, 2003

Sininu posted:

Elaborate please.

There was an issue on github where they replaced a lot of uses of a linked lists with simpler data structures like fixed sized arrays/etc on an experimental branch and shown performance numbers, only to have one of the leads jump down their throats and accusing them of doing all that in bad faith.

They've used master/slave terminology for some system, and resisted people pushing for it to change for awhile until they relented. They had a lot of comments like "this is just US political correctness culture" with their push back. Those kinds of responses really turn me off, even for a relatively minor thing.

At the very least I don't really trust their engineering chops.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

No Wave posted:

I'm more interested in lawsuits than death threats. If someone were going to sue unity over the new terms, would they have to do it after they were billed or would now be ok?

You start it now if you think you can get an injunction, otherwise you have to wait until you have suffered actual damages.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Enough folks got their lives hosed enough, potentially, by this that it wouldn't need to be a barmy Gamer(TM) to get this.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

oh no!!!!
anyway

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

this thread's obsession with jacking off about how bad the Gamers (who arent them) are is insane. i dont think death threats are a good idea but this is the kind of poo poo that ruins jobs, careers, and lives. it is not unreasonable or unexpected that things would escalate to that level. comparing it to poo poo like bunny suits in a mobile game is moronic.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
your all gamers

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also yeah that

jasoneatspizza
Jul 6, 2010
I kind of don't care at all about threats to a scumbag CEO? I only care about the workers.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Endorph posted:

this thread's obsession with jacking off about how bad the Gamers (who arent them) are is insane. i dont think death threats are a good idea but this is the kind of poo poo that ruins jobs, careers, and lives. it is not unreasonable or unexpected that things would escalate to that level. comparing it to poo poo like bunny suits in a mobile game is moronic.

you do realize that people were only using those comparisons in response to the idea that the death threats were fake, right

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Feels Villeneuve posted:

your all gamers

Not all of us come from the Gamer region of France, some of us are just sparkling no-life losers.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
The vast, vast majority of people I know as 'gamers' are pretty cool :shrug:

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

you do realize that people were only using those comparisons in response to the idea that the death threats were fake, right

I will always assume Riccitiello is lying unless it is about screwing over people for money until proven otherwise

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
I meant it more in the sense of “The game which had Mihoyo’s CEO facing an attempted assassination isn’t even the most popular of Mihoyo’s three games on Unity, and the genre of mobile games has a history of these sorts of death threats/office threats and is also predominantly unity, so I’d take any death threat claims as pretty credible by default here given the poo poo that’s happened over infinitely less important things around the space.”

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i think closing offices for a day tends to be disruptive and doesnt really seem to be something you would do for sympathy

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

pyrotek posted:

I will always assume Riccitiello is lying unless it is about screwing over people for money until proven otherwise

i mean i don't trust the 'players should pay every time they reload their guns' guy either but given how many times death threats and doxxing and other such horrible bullshit has happened over the most trivial poo poo imaginable, it seems pretty believable that something that actually matters would result in that

especially as these changes have led to the most universally negative reaction to something gaming-related that i think i have ever seen

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

No Wave posted:

The London-based law firm Sheridans has posted their analysis of the Unity Stuff over at LinkedIn.

Sheridans posted:

It’s clearly early days with Unity's changes to its pricing policies and it may be that the PR backlash will determine what happens next. However, it is far from certain that Unity’s plans will be able to progress even if it doesn’t effect a U-Turn – at least not without significant legal risk.

3 things immediately come to mind:

1. It looks very much like an "abuse of a dominant position" and therefore very likely to engage unfair competition / anti-trust rules on both sides of the Atlantic. It's highly likely that the Competition and Markets Authority (UK), European Commission and Department of Justice (US) would be materially concerned about situations where an undertaking with a dominant position in the market (like Unity) makes unilateral decisions on pricing and conditions where their provision of middleware (especially in mobile) is a vital component to so many gaming businesses. Amongst other things, it may have a devastating impact and chilling effect on games businesses, their ability to continue trading and innovation more generally in the games markets globally.

2. Unilateral price changes in B2B contracts may be subject to the reasonableness test in the Unfair Contract Terms Act 1977 as rendering performance substantially different to what was expected. It seems clear from the reactions over the last 24 to 48 hours (and Unity’s initial response) that the reasonableness of this new structure can be called into question. (UK)

3. This might also invoke the UK and EU’s Platform to Business Regulation. This generally governs the balance of power between platforms and businesses that rely on platforms to reach end users. Particular concerns include:
a. Giving businesses a reasonable and proportionate notice period to allow for technical and commercial adaptations to proposed changes to terms. Given the magnitude of this change this period should arguably be considerably more than the period given by Unity; and
b. Prohibitions on retroactive changes to terms.

So it is far from clear that these changes will be enforceable / ever actually be able to be implemented in a lawful or legal manner.

We will be watching this space – and of course ensuring that our clients’ interest are protected.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Awesome!!! Exactly the kind of analysis I wanted thanks so much. The Platform to Business regulation thing seems to target this behavior specifically.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

I’m certain there are death threats from Concerned Gamers, but I don’t see any reason to believe they’re why Unity has closed its offices beyond Riccitello’s word (which is absolutely meaningless). Given the reports coming from inside Unity, I actually think it’s more likely they’re worried about being attacked by their own workers for singlehandedly destroying the thing they’ve sunk a decade of their lives into.

ShinAli
May 2, 2003

EDIT: yeah don't want to go down that road sorry about that

ShinAli fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Sep 14, 2023

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i am begging people to stop posting conspiracy theories involving a company inexplicably closing offices because this somehow benefits them

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah I get wanting to not take the lovely CEO at face value and it sucks that the discussion of the actual point is going to be derailed by this bullshit, but less than a week after someone was actively planning to show up to a Roblox developer conference with a loaded gun to go on a spree is probably not the time to assume "surely Unity's conveniently lying about this"

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Maybe I'm the crazy one, but I feel like executives should be afraid of stepping out of their front door. Always.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I am a gamer and since I am the worst I can therefor conclude that all Gamers are the worst.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-09gNDsPzQ

Mordiceius posted:

Maybe I'm the crazy one, but I feel like executives should be afraid of stepping out of their front door. Always.

I'm OK with this.