Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

You should absolutely trust Nashu with explosives, she is very good at them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
While the ARR characters were pretty simplistic I grew to like them all the same. They worked for the story that was telling, which was a broad, simple fantasy adventure.

I miss Minfilia.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

GilliamYaeger posted:

Oh yeah, that reminds me. Did you spot Nashu's stalker during the ARR quests?

I mean yeah, dunno wtf is up with that?

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
one thing that annoys me is if an NPC has multiple things (triple triad, 2 quests, ect) it only shows the low level quest. I found this long in depth quest chain randomly looking at a low level quest NPC and now I'm involved in the Ishgard hogwarts affairs and it actually involves Briarden who I like and had no idea this quest chain existed if I wouldn't have found it randomly. Pretty annoying

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

That Little Demon posted:

one thing that annoys me is if an NPC has multiple things (triple triad, 2 quests, ect) it only shows the low level quest. I found this long in depth quest chain randomly looking at a low level quest NPC and now I'm involved in the Ishgard hogwarts affairs and it actually involves Briarden who I like and had no idea this quest chain existed if I wouldn't have found it randomly. Pretty annoying

Well clear your maps then, scrub.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

DelphiAegis posted:

Well clear your maps then, scrub.

I'm not looking at level 3 side quests to randomly make sure there isn't a hidden level 65 quest with a long story arc behind it for every single side quest on the map, thats idiotic

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

I'm not looking at level 3 side quests to randomly make sure there isn't a hidden level 65 quest with a long story arc behind it for every single side quest on the map, thats idiotic

Usually if a side questline is more elaborate, the little box that pops up when you talk to the NPC will have a custom picture on it. That indicates that there's going to be a more involved story and cutscenes and multiple steps and stuff. Side quests that are just the standard "Collect 3 bear asses" won't have the picture.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

1stGear posted:

Usually if a side questline is more elaborate, the little box that pops up when you talk to the NPC will have a custom picture on it. That indicates that there's going to be a more involved story and cutscenes and multiple steps and stuff. Side quests that are just the standard "Collect 3 bear asses" won't have the picture.

This one didn’t is my point, neither do the triple triad. The only quest that showed from an NPC that had 3 options was the low level quest

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
If you want to do TT you will end up doing every side activity besides endgame savage raiding. It's a completionist item. Don't bitch about TT being obscured when that's half the point of TT when you haven't completed the basic completionist items, namely clearing your maps of all quest markers. :v:

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

DelphiAegis posted:

If you want to do TT you will end up doing every side activity besides endgame savage raiding. It's a completionist item. Don't bitch about TT being obscured when that's half the point of TT when you haven't completed the basic completionist items, namely clearing your maps of all quest markers. :v:

Triple Triad actually LISTS which activity you need to do in the list of cards, so that is infinitely more helpful than not showing you what every NPC has on the map with the markers, rather than just 1 item. I don't know why you are defending this.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
this is the example I will use

on the map, it looks like this NPC is just a basic level 50 side quest, I have no reason to do this pretty much because I'm ALREADY overleveled and focusing on story, progression, ect. All the checkboxes like triple triad ect.

This NPC has triple triad AND the long questchain in Elf Hogwarts I'm currently doing and it wasn't listed. The reason I even found it was by chance. This quest chain is like, 30 quests deep or something so far and I would have totally missed this. The map has no indication this is the case. Most times you can't even TAKE triple triad without first accepting the NPCs low level quest, and then abandoning it. It's annoying.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

After HW, they do mark the "important" side quests like that and the ones with aether currents with a blue +. However you will have to do literally all of them if you want TT NPCs.

The important chains can also be distinguished by having a picture on the quest dialogue window but you have to talk to the quest to see that.

FuturePastNow fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Sep 14, 2023

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House
It's bad when you have to accept quests just to dig deeper into the menus to be able to play them in Triple Triad. It's probably one of the artifacts of HW-era design because I don't think that happens too often going forward. There are some NPCs that have sidequests as unlock requirements though.

DelphiAegis posted:

If you want to do TT you will end up doing every side activity besides endgame savage raiding.
Sometimes it's still beneficial to do Savage for TT cards; one of my friends had over 60 clears of the last fight in Shadowbringers' normal raid series with no luck getting the card, but he finally got it on his 10th clear of the Savage version of the fight which has a marginally better drop rate for it.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah shits jank sometimes

Actually need a wiki to find some of the interesting/useful quests and that always sucks

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

this is the example I will use

on the map, it looks like this NPC is just a basic level 50 side quest, I have no reason to do this pretty much because I'm ALREADY overleveled and focusing on story, progression, ect. All the checkboxes like triple triad ect.

This NPC has triple triad AND the long questchain in Elf Hogwarts I'm currently doing and it wasn't listed. The reason I even found it was by chance. This quest chain is like, 30 quests deep or something so far and I would have totally missed this. The map has no indication this is the case. Most times you can't even TAKE triple triad without first accepting the NPCs low level quest, and then abandoning it. It's annoying.

I dunno it seems like a mechanic in a game where you are paying for access to prolong the desire to keep that access by padding the game with things to do. You do want things to do, don't you? Clear your maps. The lore and side stories in these quests fill in the rest of the world. If you don't want to do that, that's your choice, but again bitching about obscured items from a game whose entire point is to give you things to do is asinine.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

You can have lots of content and also clarity about how to access specific content. It's not mutually exclusive lol. Visually hiding certain types of content on the UI behind other, less desirable content is a weird hill to die on

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

DelphiAegis posted:

I dunno it seems like a mechanic in a game where you are paying for access to prolong the desire to keep that access by padding the game with things to do. You do want things to do, don't you? Clear your maps. The lore and side stories in these quests fill in the rest of the world. If you don't want to do that, that's your choice, but again bitching about obscured items from a game whose entire point is to give you things to do is asinine.

No, it's really dumb that if an NPC has multiple things to offer the icon only shows a low level sidequests.

Also glad you found the Scholasticate quests, I did them because I wanted to get the spectacles emote (just tagging in case you want surprised by the reward) and got pleasantly surprised by a good story and more Briarden.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

It's actually a pet peeve I've had with the game for a while though it's exacerbated by having alts

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

DelphiAegis posted:

there are a lot of things to do, do I want to do all of them? no, I don't. I want to do the things I specifically find enjoyable. How are you not understanding the issue?

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

SirSamVimes posted:

No, it's really dumb that if an NPC has multiple things to offer the icon only shows a low level sidequests.

Also glad you found the Scholasticate quests, I did them because I wanted to get the spectacles emote (just tagging in case you want surprised by the reward) and got pleasantly surprised by a good story and more Briarden.

its a really good questline and I really like Briardien and his entire stupid family lol

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

there are a lot of things to do, do I want to do all of them? no, I don't. I want to do the things I specifically find enjoyable. How are you not understanding the issue?

You already admitted the TT card interface tells you where it is, so why are YOU not understanding the issue? Or do you just want to dunk on the game?

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

DelphiAegis posted:

You already admitted the TT card interface tells you where it is, so why are YOU not understanding the issue? Or do you just want to dunk on the game?
There's a lot of things TLD's said about the game that aren't quite fair. Complaining about lovely fetch quests covering up important stuff is not one of them.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
Frankly I’ve been charitable to bad design decisions more often than not with this game lol, I really don’t think any of my criticism is “unfair”

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

DelphiAegis posted:

The TT interface led him to an NPC who just happened to have another questline that he never would have seen if he hadn't happened to be looking for cards, and the questline is really good and interesting and would have been completely hidden by the NPC also having a low level sidequest.

This is a bad design decision. I know that this community gets defensive about the game sometimes, but this is the first time I've seen someone defending stupid UI poo poo like this and acting like everyone should be cleaning out the millions of meaningless sidequests.

edit: lmao at the idea that TLD is trying to dunk on the game when they just spent multiple posts talking about how much they're enjoying a questline that they nearly missed

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

DelphiAegis posted:

Take the L and have a soda pop

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I love this game but I'm not gonna get worked up about someone having gripes with stuff in it

If I can let it slide how much some people hate my favorite failson dipshit elf kid I can be fine with UI criticisms

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
well I finished the scholasticate questline and its pretty funny how there are sidequests in HW that are better than, and have more interesting characters and arcs than, the entirety of ARR lol

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

well I finished the scholasticate questline and its pretty funny how there are sidequests in HW that are better than, and have more interesting characters and arcs than, the entirety of ARR lol

Now think about how bad 1.0 must have been for ARR to have been considered such a gigantic step up lol

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

johnny park posted:

Now think about how bad 1.0 must have been for ARR to have been considered such a gigantic step up lol

Was that strictly gameplay or was the story bad as well?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
There were like 10 quests. Probably similar in quality to the ARR story, but you didn't have much of it.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah most of the content in 1.0 was leves, you know those things nobody does anymore. Most of the ARR leves are carry overs from 1.x if that gives you any clue as to the content they had.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
I guess I find it most surprising of all SE gave them the chance to turn it around (3 years or so) which is wild

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

the prestige of the final fantasy brand was at stake

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Vitamean posted:

the prestige of the final fantasy brand was at stake

uh huh... lmao. They saw to ruin that sometime around the FF7 compilation games

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

I guess I find it most surprising of all SE gave them the chance to turn it around (3 years or so) which is wild

They realized that Final Fantasy XI money was sick as hell and desperately wanted a repeat.

I sympathize with the mentality.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

This game got a chance because it was Final Fantasy XIV, specifically because it was a numbered entry.
If they called it some poo poo like "Final Fantasy Online: Eorzea Adventure" or whatever, Square probably would have let it languish. Give it some updates to improve it and let it run for a few years or something, not burning everything down and starting again.

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Finn 3:16 says I just licorice
whipped your peppermint ass

Yeah I don't know what kind of black magic Yoshi-P used to convince them to burn the game to the ground and remake it entirely.
When you're done with HW proper and about to enter Stormblood, watch the noclip documentary on FFXIV to see the horrors of 1.0 and the game rebirth

edit: HW, not EW

Zanael fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Sep 14, 2023

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Shinjobi posted:

They realized that Final Fantasy XI money was sick as hell and desperately wanted a repeat.

I sympathize with the mentality.

My "fondest" memories from FFXI are:

1) My brother and I at a very low level planting gems to make ore that people always bought at high prices.

2) Missing a sheep with 7 attacks in a row then dying to said sheep.

3) Hitting level 21, running back to town, then getting swarmed by like 20 enemies because of a giant mob train, then losing my level.

That last one made me quit the game.

Needless to say, wasn't a huge fan of that game.

FF14 is awesome though.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

They eventually fixed the mob train problem, not the losing your level part though. They made it so mobs would teleport back to their spawn points when they lost aggro on their initial target. This took them iirc, two expansions to implement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Has XP loss/debt on death in grindy multiplayer games ever been implemented well or added to the experience at all? I can't think of a single time it hasn't just been a pointless bringdown.