Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Arione posted:

Everyone needs a pair of PD sunglasses. 000 is 1k a year for the leather bound edition. Only poors buy the $275 paper edition

My poor wife bought me a subscription to the poor version for Christmas. Not renewing. Buy the individual issues that you find interesting. Also they go on sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

pokie posted:

E: ^^ I drove 400 miles today for this :D

Congrats! Looks really nice. Friend of mine has a Macan in chalk and it is an underrated color.

Where was that photo taken? It reminds me of Grand Coulee but I don't think that's it?

Motronic posted:

The replace the orange ones that stick out like a sore thumb on white and black cars. You replace the bulb with an amber one.
The orange really sticks out on the black but I actually prefer the old school 99 taillights with the orange turn signal. I find the orange just works on the rear.

I do prefer the smoke or clear side marker though.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

slidebite posted:

Congrats! Looks really nice. Friend of mine has a Macan in chalk and it is an underrated color.

Where was that photo taken? It reminds me of Grand Coulee but I don't think that's it?

The orange really sticks out on the black but I actually prefer the old school 99 taillights with the orange turn signal. I find the orange just works on the rear.

I do prefer the smoke or clear side marker though.

Near John Day dam https://goo.gl/maps/RefhQZTrPd74UpFq8

I will likely having it wrapped next year once I repay the loan. Probably to Miami Blue or some other shade of teal. So I don't see the point of investing into different signal housing until then.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
Today's 986 mod:

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010

Elite Taco posted:

re: seats - alternatively, I just do pepita in the middle of my existing seats and just drive my fuckin car.

Welp - these are very tempting:

https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1363304

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

Residency Evil posted:

My poor wife bought me a subscription to the poor version for Christmas. Not renewing. Buy the individual issues that you find interesting. Also they go on sale.

I did the leather edition for 6 years, havnt read any of them, wife canceled it.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

I went on a sweet 3hr ride around some local twisties (SR 503) after work. This was incredible. The car can trivially do 47 in a 25 turn or 35 in 15 like it's nothing.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
boxster good, imo

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

pokie posted:

I went on a sweet 3hr ride around some local twisties (SR 503) after work. This was incredible. The car can trivially do 47 in a 25 turn or 35 in 15 like it's nothing.

Yep, boxster given the right spec is 1000% better than any 911. They are fat and handle poorly imo. Get a 3.8 or a 4.0 in a boxster and its the single most exotic car; performance wise under 300k

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I want to try an Emira.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

knox_harrington posted:

I want to try an Emira.

Same. Are they getting delivered in the US yet?

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Elite Taco posted:

Today's 986 mod:

Where did you get it?

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010

kensei posted:

Where did you get it?

I got it from this etsy seller: https://www.etsy.com/listing/149378..._search_click=1

Beware, it cost $15,000

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

Residency Evil posted:

Same. Are they getting delivered in the US yet?

I saw one in Irvine, CA in May. Or I'm pretty sure I did, sports cars seem to be converging on one very samey styling.

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

knox_harrington posted:

I want to try an Emira.

lotus are for people who dont know caymans exist.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

knox_harrington posted:

I want to try an Emira.

:same: Even though I can't justify it and will probably end up with an Elise instead.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Arione posted:

lotus are for people who dont know caymans exist.

Nah. Lotuses are for people who have had Caymans and are looking for something different/new.

Or people who get sick of being on a GT4RS waiting list.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Evora wins just slightly in the style department for me. Emira definitely looks better than a Cayman. And I’m a big fan of the Cayman’s looks. Also superchargers are cool. The front end feel is better (they say).

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Sep 14, 2023

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

Residency Evil posted:

Nah. Lotuses are for people who have had Caymans and are looking for something different/new.

Or people who get sick of being on a GT4RS waiting list.

I mean, if you are on a gt4 waiting list you likely arent getting one. The ones here all had prospective preorders years in advance before it was even announced. yet again, the 3 918 owners snatched them up here as part of their special program.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

A buddy here was politely but firmly told he'd be considered for a GT4 RS allocation when he had a 7-figure purchase history with the dealership.

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

SlapActionJackson posted:

A buddy here was politely but firmly told he'd be considered for a GT4 RS allocation when he had a 7-figure purchase history with the dealership.

sounds accurate. Porsche has never made cooler cars than the last 10 years. However its never been harder to obtain those cars. Anything drool worthy goes to people with absolute gently caress you money who buy them as investments. You're better off doing something with techart, ruf, or gemballa at this point than trying to buy your way into potential future LE models. Especially with everything going electric anyways, if you aren't in the cool kids club now you're hosed for life, these rare models are NEVER going to depreciate to an affordable level, I expect quite the opposite. So GT3, GT4 , Spyder, and Turbo S are all aready hard to get allocations for if you arent already a customer. GT3 RS, 911R, 911S/T, 911 Dakar, 911 Speedster, 911 Sport Classic.... gently caress off and forget about it. For the aftermarket money you should just buy an aventador/diablo/murcielago or something similar from ferrari or mclaren while you still can.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Arione posted:

sounds accurate. Porsche has never made cooler cars than the last 10 years. However its never been harder to obtain those cars. Anything drool worthy goes to people with absolute gently caress you money who buy them as investments. You're better off doing something with techart, ruf, or gemballa at this point than trying to buy your way into potential future LE models. Especially with everything going electric anyways, if you aren't in the cool kids club now you're hosed for life, these rare models are NEVER going to depreciate to an affordable level, I expect quite the opposite. So GT3, GT4 , Spyder, and Turbo S are all aready hard to get allocations for if you arent already a customer. GT3 RS, 911R, 911S/T, 911 Dakar, 911 Speedster, 911 Sport Classic.... gently caress off and forget about it. For the aftermarket money you should just buy an aventador/diablo/murcielago or something similar from ferrari or mclaren while you still can.

Arione posted:

I mean, if you are on a gt4 waiting list you likely arent getting one. The ones here all had prospective preorders years in advance before it was even announced. yet again, the 3 918 owners snatched them up here as part of their special program.

SlapActionJackson posted:

I put my name down on the list the day/weekend it was released, but that was right after we moved to a new city so it's not like I had an extensive history with the dealer. The dealer offered me a 911 Turbo S allocation a while ago which I declined. At the end of the day, these cars are not necessities. An extra 50-100k ADM means more to someone with a 20-30 year timeline to retirement than it means to someone who may die next year. The people who see them as investments are misguided, and it's always fun to see them lose trying to flip cars. No one is "hosed for life" if they don't have a GT3 right now. Markets are cyclical and go up and down. They couldn't give brand new GT3 RS 4.0s away back in the early 2010s.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Lol it’s just a car.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010

Russian Bear posted:

Lol it’s just a car.

Not really. It's a list of things I'm going to do this weekend so I can drive it again next week.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Elite Taco posted:

Not really. It's a list of things I'm going to do this weekend so I can drive it again next week.

I was replying to the hand wringing described in RE’s just for the privilege of buying a car. gently caress all that.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Russian Bear posted:

I was replying to the hand wringing described in RE’s just for the privilege of buying a car. gently caress all that.

My dude, that's my point. It's just a car. If it happens, it happens. I'm in my late 30s. There will be another car.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010

Russian Bear posted:

I've noticed that from time to time some people care deeply about a thing I find relatively uninteresting.

v0v

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Wanting a top all-time extremely high-revving and objectively fantastic naturally aspirated car at the end of the ICE age to own forever? Pshaw

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I know it’s crazy but y’all misread the situation. I don’t have any issues with RE just being on the list. It’s the “purchase history” Rolex retail model that is gross. I agree with everything he said.

Does Porsche sell a branded unterpantzenuntwister.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010

Russian Bear posted:

I know it’s crazy but y’all misread the situation. I don’t have any issues with RE just being on the list. It’s the “purchase history” Rolex retail model that is gross. I agree with everything he said.

Does Porsche sell a branded unterpantzenuntwister.

Big agreed on the loyalty points thing. Porsche is absolutely happy with the situation, however.

Also, it appears my soft top is borked, so there's this weekend 986 car chores.

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

Elite Taco posted:

Big agreed on the loyalty points thing. Porsche is absolutely happy with the situation, however.

Also, it appears my soft top is borked, so there's this weekend 986 car chores.

unfortunately Porsche seems happy to underproduce its real cars while cranking out drat macans and taycans. I mean sure they sell, but I'd bet if they produced the gt3 / gt4 rs in any real numbers they would sell out as well. But I guess the rare cars keeps the buzz up and helps them sell the housewife cars as well.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
one of those sets of cars makes money

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

I honestly don’t think porsche are deliberately underproducing. I mean that is laughable on its face obviously. But they make as many as they can, the sports cars have their own line that Im sure is maxed out and they can’t just trade a cayenne for an extra 911 on next Tuesday or whatever. And they need to be careful about overall production because if the market shifts and they can’t make enough suvs, they’ll be back to the 90s when they almost went under. And they have overall production emissions standards to meet. If anything the speculation market annoys them, which is why they keep coming out with slightly tweaked versions of special cars that cost a stupid premium (and sure, make a bit of cash of course).

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I looked it up, I'm frankly surprised there are that many 911s and that they almost outsell the Panamera and Taycan put together.

https://newsroom.porsche.com/en_US/2023/company/porsche-cars-north-america-retail-sales-fourth-quarter-year-end-2022-30900.html

Global ratios are pretty close the NA

https://www.best-selling-cars.com/brands/2022-full-year-global-porsche-worldwide-sales-by-model-and-markets/

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Sep 19, 2023

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Those Taycan numbers are a lot higher than I thought they would be.

Not surprised the Panamera doesn't sell.

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Those Taycan numbers are a lot higher than I thought they would be.

Not surprised the Panamera doesn't sell.

Yeah, I own a Turbo S Executive, its cool and all, fast as well, but it costs absolute gently caress you money brand new. And to be honest the ride is rather rough and not nearly as quiet as an LS or S-Class which both cost half the price. The direct competitors in the 200k range are the Maybach and the Flying Spur. a ghost is too expensive to be considered a true competitor as its 350k+. And lets be real, for a luxury sedan isnt the point a smooth quiet ride? I'd also say a Maybach or a Bentley has more cachet for arrivals as well. That being said, I don't know how they sell Panamera's. let alone Taycans. As soon as I even mention (well yeah but its fast) I'm always reminded a tesla model 3 dual motor is just as fast and I can buy 4 of them for the price.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Arione posted:

Yeah, I own a Turbo S Executive, its cool and all, fast as well, but it costs absolute gently caress you money brand new. And to be honest the ride is rather rough and not nearly as quiet as an LS or S-Class which both cost half the price. The direct competitors in the 200k range are the Maybach and the Flying Spur. a ghost is too expensive to be considered a true competitor as its 350k+. And lets be real, for a luxury sedan isnt the point a smooth quiet ride? I'd also say a Maybach or a Bentley has more cachet for arrivals as well. That being said, I don't know how they sell Panamera's. let alone Taycans. As soon as I even mention (well yeah but its fast) I'm always reminded a tesla model 3 dual motor is just as fast and I can buy 4 of them for the price.

But then you'd own a Tesla.

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

Blue Footed Booby posted:

But then you'd own a Tesla.

id rather walk

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The Panamera never quite made sense to me (other than as a lineup filler). I drove a colleague's Panamera 4S and it was pretty fast and handled pretty well but there wasn't anything all that special seeming about it. I couldn't figure out what the real value prop was - as you posted earlier, you can get more luxury and comfort for similar money. I feel like it was for the dude who already owns a 911 but has two twelve year olds they have to take to school during the week. Other than brand loyalty, I didn't get the appeal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The Panamera never quite made sense to me (other than as a lineup filler). I drove a colleague's Panamera 4S and it was pretty fast and handled pretty well but there wasn't anything all that special seeming about it. I couldn't figure out what the real value prop was - as you posted earlier, you can get more luxury and comfort for similar money. I feel like it was for the dude who already owns a 911 but has two twelve year olds they have to take to school during the week. Other than brand loyalty, I didn't get the appeal.

Thats really the only appeal. Needing a 4 door, not wanting an SUV and still wanting to tell people you "own a porsche"

The only practical use would be in germany where you can commute at 150+ and need a sedan that can actually handle the speed.