Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The Shield Hero buys his underaged girlfriend and his daughter as slaves. They both have magical slave collars that compel them to do what he says, and he never takes them off. In the end he levels up his slave girlfriend until she's sexually matured, and gives away his slave daughter to one of the other heroes as a bride.

In the light novels they send the woman who falsely accuses him of rape to, I'm not kidding, a Rape Revenge Kingdom where she's going to be sexually abused and have all the sessions filmed, with the recordings sent to Shield Hero for him to enjoy, and which he also makes his slave kids watch. They toned that part way down for the anime.

Shield Hero is an aspiring school shooter fantasy where all your social problems can be resolved by buying a slave.
The slave collars are from "How Not to Summon a Demon Lord", I think. In Shield Hero they have magical tattoos that compel them to follow his orders. At one point a corrupt court finds him guilty of something and frees his girlfriend, but she later has a new slave tattoo put on voluntarily to show her devotion to him.

Edit: what a snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Communist Thoughts posted:

cgi anime is always inferior but it seems like if you're regularly watching new anime in tyool 2022 you're mostly inured to it and the child slavery
a lot of the 2d stuff looks really bad now too so maybe thats why

its sad though, basically all old anime looks way better even the cheap crap
it doesn't seem like they work the staff to death any less either

I think you’re cherry picking old anime. Gundam Witch From Mercury looks so much better than Gundam X, it is insane.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Whirling posted:

I think the only other Urobuchi works I've experienced are Psycho Pass (I can barely remember what the gently caress happened in that poo poo) and Thunderbolt Fantasy, which has a good first and third season but the second season does the same poo poo I hated in Madoka where characters sit around expositing to each other in ways that don't present new information or advance the plot. There's so many scenes where that terrible monk character is talking about how he has basically no motivations and how maybe it'd be hosed up if he gained a bad motivation, and it really drags everything down.
You might be interested in works by Naoki Urasawa. My first rec is usually Pluto, but if you want to jump into something a bit more serious then start with Monster.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

SardonicTyrant posted:

You might be interested in works by Naoki Urasawa. My first rec is usually Pluto, but if you want to jump into something a bit more serious then start with Monster.

Monster is a good recommendation to basically anyone. It's easily one of the best anime of all time

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 21 days!)

Whirling posted:

I think the only other Urobuchi works I've experienced are Psycho Pass (I can barely remember what the gently caress happened in that poo poo)

i gotcha, chief

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oAr4t5kK40

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Communist Thoughts posted:

cgi anime is always inferior but it seems like if you're regularly watching new anime in tyool 2022 you're mostly inured to it and the child slavery
a lot of the 2d stuff looks really bad now too so maybe thats why

its sad though, basically all old anime looks way better even the cheap crap
it doesn't seem like they work the staff to death any less either

watch better shows

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
The blame movie was pretty gnarly

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Spriggan series produced by Netflix used CGI pretty well, I thought. It's also directly relevant to the political animes question, since it's based on a left-leaning 80s manga.

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

Gold standard for CGI in anime is still the Houseki no Kuni adaptation, what a show

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
i will never watch this but lol at the horrifying den den mushi, they must use one in the show because this thing is too terrifyingly well constructed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJXN6MhF3js

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Homeless Friend posted:

i will never watch this but lol at the horrifying den den mushi, they must use one in the show because this thing is too terrifyingly well constructed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJXN6MhF3js
Don't sleep on the live action one piece.
And yes, Garp has a den den mushi

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I'm sleeping fine, every clip people share is either a dark void to hide cg or some cringe cosplay looking fight

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
Man I hope Chopper is just a puppet. And his human form is a guy in crazy makeup.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Enjoying Jujutsu Kaisen but why are Gojo's eyes different in the OP

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

i'm watching through enies lobby and crying like a big baby

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Go figure that One Piece has one of the most astute depictions of intelligence officers in fiction. Spandam is just a vile little worm.

https://twitter.com/bormatograf/status/1703340344283218201?s=20

Pener Kropoopkin has issued a correction as of 12:15 on Sep 17, 2023

Akaiku
May 17, 2013

a.lo posted:

Enjoying Jujutsu Kaisen but why are Gojo's eyes different in the OP

pre godmode

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

feels good to be 100% right. one piece live action is great

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

Aoi Todo more like Bro Todo

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

i heard the animation in JJK sucks this season

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Stairmaster posted:

i heard the animation in JJK sucks this season

I'm not liking it, but I don;'t think it's the quality of animation but more so the choreography and i dunno what else, compositing?? but everything outside the fights has been great, but the fights have felt weak

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

I always feel like a crazy person because there’s very little I like about JJK and even the great stuff is heavily undercut by other aspects of the plot/writing…but it’s also incredibly popular and my take on it seems to be really unusual

I wonder if it’s just because I read Chainsaw Man first, which has a lot of similarities but is better in pretty much every way

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

i like jjk i think it looks cool :)

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I dropped JJK after the first season. I got the idea, no need to keep watching.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I think the monster designs in JJK are pretty cool, but I haven’t bothered to follow up with the prequels or the new season.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I like the bro dude who claps and sometimes the characters make great expressions while fighting but past that it's like whatever

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Gripweed posted:

Man I hope Chopper is just a puppet. And his human form is a guy in crazy makeup.

oh gently caress yeah that would rule

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

how is live action one piece gonna handle Zoro having a sword fight with a giraffe

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

a real giraffe

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
this

... this tweet..

https://twitter.com/neontaster/status/1701293544688767358?t=4SeRB1FEYGlW054iZ2_HoQ&s=19

has to be quite possibly the greatest av/post combos of ALL TIME

edit:

Lpzie posted:

feels good to be 100% right. one piece live action is great

it is beyond surreal to me to see these characters in live action, and more importantly see portrayed well. It feels the tv show Black Sails on acid or something

while we're on this topic I hope we get a Black Lagoon adaptation, as that seems like something tailormade for live action:getin:

BornAPoorBlkChild has issued a correction as of 14:08 on Sep 19, 2023

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Can someone please mercy kill FLCL. There should never have been a sequel and they should not make more. Just stop!

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

net work error posted:

Can someone please mercy kill FLCL. There should never have been a sequel and they should not make more. Just stop!

We can't into they make FLCL baddie

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

christmas boots posted:

oh gently caress yeah that would rule

I would like a Henson Studios Chopper

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

net work error posted:

What if we make a sequel to the most well animated series of all time but let's make it look like poo poo this time

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

What made the original FLCL cool was how often it'd go off-model and experiment with form & format. With 3DCG everything is on-model. No matter how stylized it is there's only so much that can be done with a television budget.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

It's a miracle Uzumaki looks good so far

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

What made the original FLCL cool was how often it'd go off-model and experiment with form & format. With 3DCG everything is on-model. No matter how stylized it is there's only so much that can be done with a television budget.

What made FLCL cool was that I was a 13 year old boy who could stay up as late as he wanted on Saturdays, the Adult Swim anime programming block.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

net work error posted:

It's a miracle Uzumaki looks good so far

They've been working on Uzumaki for YEARS, is why it looks so good.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Mr. Lobe posted:

I would like a Henson Studios Chopper

What if he ate the GroverGrover fruit?
The GroverFraut

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

HootTheOwl posted:

What if he ate the GroverGrover fruit?
The GroverFraut

the castle on drum island is gonna look a little different.