Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

I still remember Priti Patel threatening food supplies to Ireland... was not impressed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Tesseraction posted:

Ken Stonger, Twice Wronger

Two Wrongs make a Right though, which meaohhhhhhhh you clever bastard

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Lady Gaza posted:

Grow all crops in vertical farms and synthetic meat in vats close to population centres, rewild 70% of country, imo
I like this idea.

I've noticed a considerable drop in the quality of meat since the Brexit/Pandemic/cozzy livs triple threat, so it makes not eating it much easier.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

"We could grow all of our own..." should be the national equivalent of "Hitler had some good ideas about..."
Chat thread IK and vole counter Ratjaculation has spoken before about the earth having likely 60 odd harvests left in it unless we fundamentally alter the way we dispose of nutrients that should be going back into the soil.

I imagine that even if it was possible to feed an overpopulated island of fat wankers who love their steak & meat pies from the free farmland we currently have, that farmland wouldn't last a particularly large number of years.

I know, that's not the point, the point is so the right wing government can say there's not enough food to go round, so we should kick out the forrins, then the disabled, and then the undesirables, and then slowly expand the list of undesirables.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Lady Gaza posted:

Grow all crops in vertical farms and synthetic meat in vats close to population centres, rewild 70% of country, imo

With vertical/urban farming, you're trading the energy cost of preparing the land for agriculture and maintaining it for the energy cost of replicating the sun indoors. The Sun provides lots of free energy! So replacing that with electricity is a bad idea when that electricity comes from fossil fuels, or is even consuming green energy that could otherwise be used for something we can't replace with sunlight.

There's a similar problem with vat-grown meat. To grow meat, you need a nutrient slurry of similar composition to animals to feed the bacteria making the meat. The best source of that is... bovine fetal serum, taken from cows about to be slaughtered. There is research on replacing this showing promise, but the core problem of production of a nutrient slurry being fairly expensive and specalist remains, and there are limits to scale of the vats you can grow meat in without them being invaded by foreign pathogens and bacteria also wanting to eat your juicy nutrient slurry.

The Sun is just a really hard energy source to replace efficiently in food production, basically.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Nothingtoseehere posted:

The Sun is just a really hard energy source to replace efficiently in food production, basically.

so that's why it's allowed to keep publishing?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Just move the sun to where you need it :sun:

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Dabir posted:

Here's a builder giving a fuller explanation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4wOH5g_yzQ

I wouldn't put too much stock in what this guy says. Not sure that he's necessarily wrong on this particular matter but I watched a couple of his videos about things I'm somewhat knowledgeable about and it was clear he didn't have much of a clue what he was talking about. I got the impression he's just some blagger who does maybe a couple of hours' research on a topic and then makes an authoritative-sounding video on it despite a very shallow knowledge of the subject.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

Just move the sun to where you need it :sun:

Does that not necessarily require a collector operating surface area identical to a farm field in order to collect enough energy to transmit it to the plants?

So you would need... windows. Not those.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

What about mirrors? Worked for that tomb in Indiana Jones.

A couple of problems that might be reduced with vertical farms are water use (closed system means you don’t get water washing away, going deep into soil, or evaporation), land use, pests, and impact on local environment. There will no doubt be challenges with infrastructure and energy, etc., but it seems there are a lot of positives.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

smellmycheese posted:

Rory’s publisher must be furious that he’s absolutely ruined any good publicity for his new book as every single centrist now thinks he’s worse than Hitler for his extremely mild endorsement of Jereboam Crubbin

https://twitter.com/rorystewartuk/status/1702222705779470573?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg
he has a secret plan to win them back:
https://twitter.com/RoryStewartUK/status/1702230345884553501

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Aramoro posted:

Actually the opposite. gently caress farmers and gently caress farmland. The countryside as its sold to us is farmland, industrial land polluted and abused as much as a factory site. The only good we get out of farmers is when they're forced to do something and then they package it up and sell it back to us as a great thing they did.

Every time a town or village floods it's farmers to blame, often a singular oval office.

Be fair, in some areas the floods are caused by grouse moors.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Also really sorry to hear about Camrath. He had probably the most complete ukmt_goons.xlsx and used it for fudge rather than evil.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Lady Gaza posted:

What about mirrors? Worked for that tomb in Indiana Jones.

A couple of problems that might be reduced with vertical farms are water use (closed system means you don’t get water washing away, going deep into soil, or evaporation), land use, pests, and impact on local environment. There will no doubt be challenges with infrastructure and energy, etc., but it seems there are a lot of positives.

There are, but they only make sense for places like Dubai, which have abundant energy (from oil atm, could easily from solar though), very limited water supply and arable land, and a wealthy population to support the cost for specality foods. There is no world where someone starts growing wheat indoors profitably, and wheat/potatos are what most cropland in the UK is used to grow.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Does that not necessarily require a collector operating surface area identical to a farm field in order to collect enough energy to transmit it to the plants?

So you would need... windows. Not those.
You can have both windows and piped sunlight, and because you can track the sun directly you'll get more light than a flat piece of farmland which catches sun at best at a 60° angle at the height of summer.

Really it's better used for buildings that are only in use during the day like schools than urban horticulture for most cases.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Out of curiosity, how long are covid symptoms typically lasting in the UK these days? I had a jab when they came out but no booster or anything, but the nurse at the hospital said "it's just like a cold now".

Had a dodgy throat last Friday. Was feverish Sunday/Monday, lost my sense of smell on Wednesday. Every time I feel like I'm starting to get better, another wave of illness hits. Right now I still feel congested like I'm underwater and on the verge of passing out as if I'm exhausted.

I thought on Tuesday that I was well enough to go back to work (from home) and I woke up feeling like I'd kicked it after just couple of days, but it just seems to keep going and I'm maybe being naive to think I'll be better tomorrow.

Losing the ability to smell things was weird too. I didn't even notice until my wife said she'd lost hers. I went around the house trying to deeply inhale stuff (like coffee or curry powder), but got nothing.

Oct 4, 2005

Kin posted:

Out of curiosity, how long are covid symptoms typically lasting in the UK these days? I had a jab when they came out but no booster or anything, but the nurse at the hospital said "it's just like a cold now".

Had a dodgy throat last Friday. Was feverish Sunday/Monday, lost my sense of smell on Wednesday. Every time I feel like I'm starting to get better, another wave of illness hits. Right now I still feel congested like I'm underwater and on the verge of passing out as if I'm exhausted.

I thought on Tuesday that I was well enough to go back to work (from home) and I woke up feeling like I'd kicked it after just couple of days, but it just seems to keep going and I'm maybe being naive to think I'll be better tomorrow.

Losing the ability to smell things was weird too. I didn't even notice until my wife said she'd lost hers. I went around the house trying to deeply inhale stuff (like coffee or curry powder), but got nothing.

Thats exactly how it feels, you think you're on the mend, maybe tomorrow, or the day after. But it just bloody lingers.

Took me three weeks to get over it the first time.

Rest up man, don't try and rush your recovery.

pantsfree
Oct 22, 2012

Kin posted:

Sorry to hear this! It seems to vary wildly, some people are fine in a few days, others take longer, the unlucky few end up chronically ill. It took me six weeks to feel like I had my normal energy levels back. Don't rush or try to push it, rest as much as you can, even if you think you're feeling better.

It is moronic, especially from a nurse, to liken COVID to a cold.

Hope you're feeling better soon.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

WhatEvil posted:

I wouldn't put too much stock in what this guy says. Not sure that he's necessarily wrong on this particular matter but I watched a couple of his videos about things I'm somewhat knowledgeable about and it was clear he didn't have much of a clue what he was talking about. I got the impression he's just some blagger who does maybe a couple of hours' research on a topic and then makes an authoritative-sounding video on it despite a very shallow knowledge of the subject.

Roger Bisby! He's been on telly for years. He's like the one show level understanding on any vaguely building topic.

I've watched loads of his videos of his to do various DIY things and it's usually pretty helpful.

He's basically like an internet dad where he'll tell you how to fix the washing machine but don't ask him anything too complicated because he'll just make something up rather than say he doesn't know.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

pantsfree posted:

Sorry to hear this! It seems to vary wildly, some people are fine in a few days, others take longer, the unlucky few end up chronically ill. It took me six weeks to feel like I had my normal energy levels back. Don't rush or try to push it, rest as much as you can, even if you think you're feeling better.

It is moronic, especially from a nurse, to liken COVID to a cold.

Hope you're feeling better soon.

Covid is just a flu at the end of the day.

Which means it can vary from "feeling lovely for a week" to "permanent damage", because the flu can be really nasty if your unlucky, vulnerable, or a combination. For many people it is just a cold, but that doesn't mean it can't be nasty for you, and that's just biology for you.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
RIP Camrath

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

Monica Bellucci posted:

I could be wrong but as far as I know pink was THE manly colour for 100s of years, at least in Christendom, because of knights.

Short version, wearing armour requires layers and a lot of them at the start are cotton shirts and padding, unless you were a super duper rich knight and could afford a silk shirt to protect against arrows and other piercings. Blood splashes and gets everywhere (Just ask any modern surgeon) and battle is tremendously physically taxing. Thus your reddened cottons et al would be washed out by your sweat, rendering a more pink hue. This made pink the colour of "I murder folks professionally" and manly as hell and still has a holdout in business, cf, pink shirts.

Or it could be a disproven story like the colour progression of belts in most martial arts.

This doesn’t sound right, blood stains in fabric generally end up brown rather than pink (oxidation)

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

The orgin I always heard was Red was for me because blood is red etc etc so pink was for boys as its not quite red but getting there.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

smellmycheese posted:

Rory’s publisher must be furious that he’s absolutely ruined any good publicity for his new book as every single centrist now thinks he’s worse than Hitler for his extremely mild endorsement of Jereboam Crubbin

https://twitter.com/rorystewartuk/status/1702222705779470573?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

how does one becomes "disillusioned with politics" having begun that adventure by joining the tory party? you weren't allowed to personally condemn enough people to destitution and death?

they made you stop running over baby rabbits in your tractor?

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

killerwhat posted:

This doesn’t sound right, blood stains in fabric generally end up brown rather than pink (oxidation)

Not stains, the actuality. The same impulse as that woodcut of Vlad Tepes, drinking and eating around his impaled victims. You thirsty and hungry and tired and can assuage 2 of 3 immediately. Do you wanna deal with hunger and thirst immediately or do you wanna wait for hours until you are away from your victims.

Similarly, do you wanna wait for the blood to turn brown or get that poo poo off as quick you can when you can? People remember colour more than circumstance.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

1965917 posted:

Thats exactly how it feels, you think you're on the mend, maybe tomorrow, or the day after. But it just bloody lingers.

Took me three weeks to get over it the first time.

Rest up man, don't try and rush your recovery.

Urgh, hoping it wasn't that any more.

I'm on a shared pat leave thing this year where I'm off for a month then back for a month until March.

September was supposed to be my month back before being out all of October and now I'm out with this.

Don't wanna seem like I'm taking the piss really. Job security in a possible recession and all that.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

big scary monsters posted:

Also really sorry to hear about Camrath. He had probably the most complete ukmt_goons.xlsx and used it for fudge rather than evil.

Yeah catching up on the thread today and that's the first thing I read. RIP Camrath, I'll drink one to your memory.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
thought you lot might appreciate this Q/A from The Chase earlier earlier:

"Which Labour leader started working in a mine at the age of 10?"

"David Cameron?"

:rolleye:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
wazzocks

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

That's some tipping point level of idiocy

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Aramoro posted:

The orgin I always heard was Red was for me because blood is red etc etc so pink was for boys as its not quite red but getting there.
The red as in red coats was apparently because rose madder was the cheapest reliable dye around during the early days of "everyone wears the same colour instead of come as you are."

But the vegetable dyes break down a lot quicker, so the red coat would become brown and oxidized in wet conditions and pinkish in heat and direct sunlight, and as this was at the height of loving about in hot places some regiments just went "pink is a war colour."

More this kind of pink

than the kind of neon Barbie pink that gets assumed when people say "pink was a boy's colour."

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I once filmed a farmer’s son’s 21st. It was loving massive, huge marquee with chandeliers and a bar. All the boys had red cheeks and all the girls looked at me like I was a weird curio from the city (I’m white but have piercings and such and generally don’t have the country look) or like I was one of the most horrifying, confusing things they could imagine.

Not one of them could dance, and when I tried to get them to do birthday messages for the birthday boy they cringed away or did something strange and incongruous. I’m not totally convinced I didn’t film a party full of aliens if I’m honest, and having left the house 16 hours ago was very pleased to get away by the end.

Oh and they had loads of food but didn’t offer me any lol

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Jakabite posted:

That was them challenging you. You can have food but only if you kill it yourself

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Jakabite posted:

I once filmed a farmer’s son’s 21st. It was loving massive, huge marquee with chandeliers and a bar. All the boys had red cheeks and all the girls looked at me like I was a weird curio from the city (I’m white but have piercings and such and generally don’t have the country look) or like I was one of the most horrifying, confusing things they could imagine.

Not one of them could dance, and when I tried to get them to do birthday messages for the birthday boy they cringed away or did something strange and incongruous. I’m not totally convinced I didn’t film a party full of aliens if I’m honest, and having left the house 16 hours ago was very pleased to get away by the end.

Me and some friends were invited to a Young Farmers' Club disco in the 90's and it was exactly this. Being townie kids who went to real nightclubs we turned up in our usual clubbing gear and every guy there was in a checked shirt and boot-fit jeans.

Nobody was really dancing until the DJ dropped that well-known floor filler Achy Breaky Heart.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I did country dancing at primary school for pe.

Which was bullshit

Testro
May 2, 2009

Kin posted:

I know quite a few people who recovered in the 3-10 day timeline.

But this statement from the nurse is so saddening.

For some people it might seem as mild as a cold on the surface.

For others, it's life destroying. I legitimately lost a year of my life (and counting) and my good health, all for a day in the office.

The nurse and their ilk assume that it's just like a cold, because that's the experience of the people they're running into. The ones who've had their lives stuffed are struggling to leave the house, and are pretty much forgotten.

Just don't overdo it and rest far more than you think. I became sick and just didn't recover which is fairly unusual for long covid, but the long covid spaces online are filled with people who had a seemingly mild case, exerted too hard a few weeks later, and triggered long covid wiping them out for months/years. That's what differentiates it for me from a cold.

So seriously mate, rest as much as you can, for much longer than you think.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
I lived in farmer central.
We had tractors lap around the 3 streets of our village, park at one end, rev the engines for an hour, and think they were chick magnets and everyone was impressed by them.
There would be trails of cow and pig poo poo into most shops sometimes.
I have seen a culshie being dropped off by tractor outside a nightclub.
I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/Keir_Starmer/status/1702382401412817092

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive

OwlFancier posted:

I was recently introduced to the concept of "galbestos" which is like, steel with asbestos mixed in during the galvanization process.

Which mostly seems to result in steel which rusts underneath the galvanized layer and also the layer then flakes off in big lumps and also it's full of asbestos, lmao.

All the problems of failed encasing as a method of rustproofing and also the encasing is a respiratory hazard, brilliant work industry, 10/10 product.

just galbestos being palbestos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Accidentally clicked on the wrong place on YouTube and watched some talk with a gormless idiot called Ant Middleton who thought the pandemic was a fad.