Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

That's why you install some janky barely playtested mod that ups damage done and damage received by a stupid amount. Then you spend twenty hours getting one-hit-killed by cowardly wizard freaks hurling ice spikes at PPsH speeds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
im sorry ms warcrimes but theres a super-super-predator that will just eat grain and take tummy rubs when its not hunting one specific thing?

you want me to choose? am i the president?!

"what are the risks?" i ask, as a volunteer space cop who's been on the job one week.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 has issued a correction as of 18:45 on Sep 14, 2023

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

install one of the "difficult" mod packs for skyrim and enjoy every dungeon containing 50 bandits that will each individually one-shot you

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)
don’t need stealth because I found a gun called “the big bang” and in my favorites menu it’s damage is just listed as (999) when everything else is <300

I have 1400 rounds for it, and it holds 6 in each magazine.

the end of the crimson fleet quests just turned into jet pack doom level for me

GOTY

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Zokari posted:

install one of the "difficult" mod packs for skyrim and enjoy every dungeon containing 50 bandits that will each individually one-shot you

it is a time-honored tradition to reinstall skyrim, try out a new “balance” mod, get 360 no-scoped by bandits outside Bleak Falls Barrow, and uninstall skyrim

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I saw a starfield mod that removes the flat hp enemies get and only gives them the level scaling HP so that would probably help bandaid the issue

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
Sarah what the gently caress? You don't like the brontobird? How can you not like the brontobird? Look at it! It's amazing. It's docile. It eats the only thing in the galaxy we want it to eat. And WE CAN EAT IT.

wait a minute. by eating the brontobird do we then excrete the spores? is this actually part of the life cycle? no. no way. this is a todd howard joint we're talking about here.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Augus posted:

it is a time-honored tradition to reinstall skyrim, try out a new “balance” mod, get 360 no-scoped by bandits outside Bleak Falls Barrow, and uninstall skyrim

I did some megapack 8 hour install thing for skyrim once and the first barrow I wandered into I walked into an alcove and three skeletons blasted through the opposite door like loving swat and I was dead before I realized I was even in danger

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

So on a lark I started writing down big games (that were either good on their own or would see a lot of hype any other year) for 2023 and the list is up to almost 50 entries. I know for a fact I have missed at least three but I can't place them.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Frosted Flake posted:

I'm just wondering how guns work and if this description is correct:

As characters—including the protagonist—level up, they receive an HP bonus, making them more resilient over time. This increased HP allows characters to absorb more damage as they progress, effectively turning them and their enemies into bullet sponges at higher levels. In other words, gunplay gets worse as the game goes on, because both the player character and NPCs can endure extended exchanges of gunfire or other forms of combat.

Did this happen in Skyrim as well?

this is exactly how it worked in fallout 76 lol

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Buck Wildman posted:

I did some megapack 8 hour install thing for skyrim once and the first barrow I wandered into I walked into an alcove and three skeletons blasted through the opposite door like loving swat and I was dead before I realized I was even in danger

modpacks for skyrim vr nerf player damage hard because it assumes your method of fighting is to furiously flick your wrists like an epileptic tyrannosaurus

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

evilmiera posted:

So on a lark I started writing down big games (that were either good on their own or would see a lot of hype any other year) for 2023 and the list is up to almost 50 entries. I know for a fact I have missed at least three but I can't place them.

I am confident that historians will look back to 2023 and solemnly declare it "Year of the Gamer". Truly, we are living in extraordinary times.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
just want a fallout 4 style survival mode. their roadmap is all poo poo i dont care about like fov sliders and ultrawide monitor support

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Speaking of the mantis quest in starfield is basically a worse version of the mistress of mysteries quest from fallout 76. It being such a direct crib but worse left a bad taste in my mouth even though the rewards for it are brutally overpowered (except the ship it sucks)

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Fellatio del Toro posted:

this is exactly how it worked in fallout 76 lol

Same thing happened with FO76 launching without FOV slider. It keeps happening.v

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

evilmiera posted:

Vampire Survivors spawned a new genre and sequels to 1999 games (Baldur's Gate and Jagged Alliance) were shockingly really good.

The AAA space was as lol as it always was. Jedi Survivor performed badly. Starfield is mid. Not November yet but I can only guess what nonsense is gonna come out of the Call of Duty release this year.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

drat, Throne of Bhaal came out less than 3 months before :911:

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

KirbyKhan posted:

Same thing happened with FO76 launching without FOV slider. It keeps happening.v

whats extremely wacky about this is, theres an fov slider in the photo mode

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

skooma512 posted:

Vampire Survivors spawned a new genre and sequels to 1999 games (Baldur's Gate and Jagged Alliance) were shockingly really good.

The AAA space was as lol as it always was. Jedi Survivor performed badly. Starfield is mid. Not November yet but I can only guess what nonsense is gonna come out of the Call of Duty release this year.

I wasn't even aware that the newest entry in Six Ages: The King of Dragon Pass Pre-sequel thing, was out. Any other year I would have been watching the release date like a hawk to get the chance to lead my erstwhile tribe to even dumber shenanigans involving the sky breaking and trolls eating everyone but this year I had to find out by looking at release date sites to fill out my list.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
There's so much from this year that I probably won't get around to until next year - RE4 remake, FFXVI, ACVI, BG3, etc. - but at least by then everything will be like $40 or less

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Safe to skip out on at least several of those games.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

MeatwadIsGod posted:

There's so much from this year that I probably won't get around to until next year - RE4 remake, FFXVI, ACVI, BG3, etc. - but at least by then everything will be like $40 or less

Yah I just picked up the RE4 remake on sale, looking forward to getting around to it once i finish my tour of the Metal Gear Solid universe

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

Yah I just picked up the RE4 remake on sale, looking forward to getting around to it once i finish my tour of the Metal Gear Solid universe

Before or after the PC remasters/rereleases?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Fellatio del Toro posted:

updating the graphics from ps1 to ps2

Updating the graphics from ps1 to ps1-but-with-some-different-colors-or-something

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Oh drat, Assassin's Creed is out in three weeks.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=de2GFWsG9Ug

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Zokari posted:

lol that one of the biggest animation breakthroughs in skyrim was spearheaded by an annoying frenchman who wanted everything to be dark souls.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Grapplejack posted:

I saw a starfield mod that removes the flat hp enemies get and only gives them the level scaling HP so that would probably help bandaid the issue

yes, there is one on nexus. right now you have to execute it via the ini.

pink noise
Jun 24, 2022
something funny i noticed about starfield is the final ryujin mission seemed custom-made to ignore my maxed stealth stat. +125% stealth but there were at least a few low level guards and turrets that saw me immediately if i could see them, like it was the beginning of the game with no stealth bonuses. and one particular pair of guard+turret that no matter how i disabled the turret, the lvl12 guard always beelined straight to where i was hiding and pulled the alarm.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Lostconfused posted:

Oh drat, Assassin's Creed is out in three weeks.

Oh right that's happening too.

Also Total War Pharoah.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Buck Wildman posted:

Lol yep I modded the gently caress out of Skyrim over winter last year and got one of those de-level scaling mods that made every draugr cave hell. It ruled because level scaling is unbelievably fail (even the softer veraions in Skyrim and FO4) but spent an awful lot of time getting owned

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

KirbyKhan posted:

Friendship with Androphon is OVER

Bessel III-b is my best friend now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKTjyx-1ES4

i would simply cheat

e: wtf quoted wrong post lol

Homeless Friend has issued a correction as of 20:28 on Sep 14, 2023

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The original F-Zero was really mind-blowing at the time. Both the pseudo-3d (that used that one neat SNES technology) and the speeds involved were wild.

I sucked though and always played the pink samurai guy (the Toad of F-Zero) due to the (IIRC) easier handling.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

The original F-Zero was really mind-blowing at the time. Both the pseudo-3d (that used that one neat SNES technology) and the speeds involved were wild.

I sucked though and always played the pink samurai guy (the Toad of F-Zero) due to the (IIRC) easier handling.

pink fat guy was the slow acceleration high top speed. a bowser type. that gold guy was the light weight high acceleration guy. blue and green were pretty much the same, a mario and luigi

that game kicked rear end big time. fat pink guy ftw

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

DaysBefore posted:

That's why you install some janky barely playtested mod that ups damage done and damage received by a stupid amount. Then you spend twenty hours getting one-hit-killed by cowardly wizard freaks hurling ice spikes at PPsH speeds

Those mods are so cool because, as a modder, you have access to every value and calculation in the game, but absolutely none of these mods ever actually seem to do the math on what amount of damage would be outright lethal to a player per level. If the player is regularly expected to go up against like twelve dudes at once, surely they should be a more heroic figure capable of taking more damage than your average person?

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Whirling posted:

Those mods are so cool because, as a modder, you have access to every value and calculation in the game, but absolutely none of these mods ever actually seem to do the math on what amount of damage would be outright lethal to a player per level. If the player is regularly expected to go up against like twelve dudes at once, surely they should be a more heroic figure capable of taking more damage than your average person?

skill issue

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Buck Wildman posted:

that's good actually

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Skyrim Rainbow 6 TC mod

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

unlocking the thieves tools to open doors and the fiber optic probe to check inside the tomb for wights so you can flashbang them during the breach

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah, the Mode 7 chip. I don't recall any other console racing game around that time that conveyed that flowing sense of speed better than F-Zero, especially while cornering.