Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Paracaidas posted:

It's breathtaking to argue that the supreme court case ruling that states cannot add additional qualifications beyond the constitution also means that states cannot enforce the qualifications within the constitution.

That's not what was said though. It's your demonstrably false interpretation of what he said. How is it demonstrable? A state could enforce the qualifications within the constitution following a trial or equivalent proceeding. It's entirely appropriate for SCOTUS to determine the level of due process required for proving that someone was involved in an insurrection for the purposes of disqualification from running for President.

I have no idea why I'd care what he thinks, but you can't even properly read what he said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Fart Amplifier posted:

That's not what was said though. It's your demonstrably false interpretation of what he said. How is it demonstrable? A state could enforce the qualifications within the constitution following a trial or equivalent proceeding. It's entirely appropriate for SCOTUS to determine the level of due process required for proving that someone was involved in an insurrection for the purposes of disqualification from running for President.
I'm very open to the idea that my hatred of Yoo has led me to reading him so uncharitably that I'm misunderstanding his argument.

What I see is an argument about how unwieldy it'd be to leave this in the hands of local officials, the broader risks it runs, and a Marshall quote from McCullough v. Maryland about the balance of state and federal power to indicate why the Court would frown upon city, county, or state officials having it in their unguided discretion to disqualify federal candidates from the ballot. I don't find any of that objectionable or even necessarily incorrect (outside of its use to support a conclusion that disqualification under the 14th amendment can't or shouldn't apply to Trump).

Then he gets to Term Limits. If I'm being charitable to a Yoo blogpost for the Federalist, I could take his Stevens quote about electoral uniformity on its face as linking the prior arguments to recentish SCOTUS election decisions. But then I arrive at the last sentence, that enforcing the 14th absent a "meaningful trial or equivalent proceeding" would grant states the power Term Limits sought to deny them. The distinguishing factor, as I noted in my post, is that Term Limits was rejecting the state's power to add qualifications for federal office beyond those in the Constitution. This matter is about enforcing the Constitution’s qualifications for federal office. I don't think it's out of line to note it's misleading to shoehorn in similarities while discarding such a key distinction.

To your point: I completely agree that the federal courts could set a national standard for determining if a prospective candidate is disqualified by the 14th amendment. Also that the standard could be requiring a criminal conviction or something providing similar due process protections. As above, I don't even necessarily disagree that it should or that doing so is appropriate. Best as I can tell, where we disagree is on if something like Georgia's process is as constitutional for the 14th as it is for the qualifications in Article II. My sole objection to your posts on the subject ITT (and I appreciate your perspective and the effort you've put in!) is the claim that Georgia's process is "absurd" or "unworkable" for the purpose and that it's unrealistic to believe it'd survive a legal challenge (especially as it already has).

Fart Amplifier posted:

I have no idea why I'd care what he thinks, but you can't even properly read what he said.
My issue with Yoo, conversely, is that I think his piece is dishonest and misleading (and that he's a top tier piece of poo poo). I tossed it in the thread as an example of some of the dogshit trumper (and anti-anti-trumper) argumentation. It's unfortunate that some overlaps with posts ITT and I hope I was sufficiently clear that, for instance:
"You can't disqualify a Trump for insurrection without a conviction" isn't inherently conservative, dishonest, or risible- On the other hand, arguing that he can't be disqualified because the senate didn't convict and Smith hasn't charged him with insurrection is :jerkbag:... but I do see now how my post could have been read as looping everyone who holds the former position with those arguing it disingenuously like Yoo. Apologies for the ambiguity, I meant solely the latter.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Judge Jump Cannon has ruled against Trump regarding turning MAL into a SCIF.

quote:

Former U.S. President Donald Trump and his lawyers may only review classified evidence in a secure place as he prepares for a criminal trial over his handling of secret documents after he left office in 2021, a judge ruled on Wednesday.
Wednesday's ruling by U.S. District Judge Aileen Cannon in Florida is a win for prosecutors, who said it would be inappropriate for Trump to be able to review classified documents at the very location where he is accused of illegally and haphazardly storing them.

The order requires Trump and his lawyers to review and discuss all classified evidence in what is known as a sensitive compartmented information facility, or SCIF.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
imo that feels very significant symbolically

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
What spicy nickname for Cannon can we expect tonight I wonder.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

BigglesSWE posted:

What spicy nickname for Cannon can we expect tonight I wonder.

Judge “Loose” Cannon

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

Whoops, turns out Cannon was a complete hack who begged trump to be nominated! We'll get more facts from Donald Trump in his next trooth.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

haveblue posted:

Judge “Loose” Cannon

"And I'm not talking about her morals either, people. I've heard many people, great people, say to me that she didn't get her judgeship the normal way, she did favors, if you know what I mean. She's a terrible judge and Biden should never have appointed her.":smugdon:

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Cannon not being a total lunatic is legit surprising

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Next up is Trump team asking for Cannon to be removed for prejudice against Trump, because by ruling that MAL is an inappropriate place for a SCIF she is tacitly saying that MAL should never have held classified documents in the first place. Thereby rendering a verdict on Trump before a trial could occur, a violation of Trump's civil rights.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

cr0y posted:

Cannon not being a total lunatic is legit surprising

She's 100% going to delay it past the election which is the main thing he cares about. If she makes a really stupid pro-Trump ruling that is clearly in error, there's a chance she'll get the case yanked from her docket which is bad for Trump.

If she really slowly makes pro-Trump decisions that are within her discretion, it's to his benefit.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Devor posted:

She's 100% going to delay it past the election which is the main thing he cares about. If she makes a really stupid pro-Trump ruling that is clearly in error, there's a chance she'll get the case yanked from her docket which is bad for Trump.

If she really slowly makes pro-Trump decisions that are within her discretion, it's to his benefit.

Yeah how’s that Garcia hearing coming along anyway? 5 weeks now without a peep?

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

gregday posted:

Yeah how’s that Garcia hearing coming along anyway? 5 weeks now without a peep?

Honestly this probably the most egregious thing she's done to protect Trump

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Donkringel posted:

Next up is Trump team asking for Cannon to be removed for prejudice against Trump, because by ruling that MAL is an inappropriate place for a SCIF she is tacitly saying that MAL should never have held classified documents in the first place. Thereby rendering a verdict on Trump before a trial could occur, a violation of Trump's civil rights.

I like the cut of your jib. You're hired!

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

I skimmed through it and it looks like Cannon ruled that, “hey there are laws governing this and I can’t just throw them out”. Not sure why it took this long.

From the PoV of the joke post about this ruling being prejudicial to Trumps case it kind of is.

This is how you handle this material and Trump clearly wasn’t doing that.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Main Paineframe posted:

Trump's team isn't filing motions for the sake of right-wing media. He's perfectly capable of just going on Truth Social and posting a rant about how the judge should totally recuse, and his base will eat that up just fine. No real reason to involve his lawyers in the propaganda.

The point of the motion is almost certainly a simple matter of "when you've got a case as desperate as this one, it doesn't really hurt to throw everything remotely plausible at the wall just in case you get lucky and something sticks". Sure, the chance of this recusal motion amounting to anything are extremely slim, but "extremely slim" is still better than zero.

You really aren’t paying attention? You really think Trumps main defense against these accusations is to avail himself of sound legal theory?

His goal is delay and to get his voters out to defend him in the 24 election. That’s it, that’s the plan and his lawyers are all aware of it.

Every motion and every argument is based on how it will play on RWM.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Murgos posted:

You really aren’t paying attention? You really think Trumps main defense against these accusations is to avail himself of sound legal theory?

His goal is delay and to get his voters out to defend him in the 24 election. That’s it, that’s the plan and his lawyers are all aware of it.

Every motion and every argument is based on how it will play on RWM.

Donald Trump's main defense against these accusations is obviously to win the election and pardon himself.

The role that Donald Trump's lawyers play is to do everything they can to delay the court cases, create avenues for appeals to drag them out further even after rulings, and gamble on laying whatever desperate groundwork they can for reducing the consequences or maybe even getting acquittals.

The Trump campaign has lots of people who can write bullshit fodder for the right-wing media to run amok with. They don't need to pay actual lawyers big $lawyerbucks to do it. If Trump wants his base to be screaming that the judge should recuse, he can just tweet about how the totally biased judge should absolutely recuse. He doesn't need someone with an actual law degree to make an actual court filing for that.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
What? Why don’t you go refresh yourself on the frivolous Trump suits filed by real lawyers from the last 3 years?

Trump uses legal filings to get media attention all the time.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Sep 14, 2023

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Murgos posted:

I skimmed through it and it looks like Cannon ruled that, “hey there are laws governing this and I can’t just throw them out”. Not sure why it took this long.

Just against the slight possibility that this was a rhetorical statement - because she's an inexperienced complete hack and the delay is the point.

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

Looks like it'll just be Cheesebro and Powell for trial in October

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crim...eba39a770&ei=27

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

Kloaked00 posted:

Looks like it'll just be Cheesebro and Powell for trial in October

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crim...eba39a770&ei=27

is this a good or bad thing

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

arbybaconator posted:

is this a good or bad thing

it's an interesting thing. If I were trump I would want everyone tried at once at the same time as me, for a bigger circus where i'd be the star.

Now there's gonna be a First Trial where Trump won't be the center of attention, and everything will come out into the open, anybody not named Trump is probably a dead lock for conviction. That said it also means Trump's team will get a free preview of what's coming.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
I'd always suspected you were trump, HA. It explains your strange golden color.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

it's an interesting thing. If I were trump I would want everyone tried at once at the same time as me, for a bigger circus where i'd be the star.

Now there's gonna be a First Trial where Trump won't be the center of attention, and everything will come out into the open, anybody not named Trump is probably a dead lock for conviction. That said it also means Trump's team will get a free preview of what's coming.

i certainly wonder if several less-important people in the Second Trial might suddenly find themselves much, much more interested in cooperation after the guilty convictions come in from the first

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

eke out posted:

i certainly wonder if several less-important people in the Second Trial might suddenly find themselves much, much more interested in cooperation after the guilty convictions come in from the first

Yea, I think if I was Trump, this is the biggest thing to worry about. If they're found guilty, now you already have a precedent that people in your inner circle were guilty, which makes it just that much easier to prove that Trump was guilty, or a whole bunch of people flip. The gamble is that one or both are found not guilty and then the odds swing heavily in Trump's favor.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

eke out posted:

Is this part of the GA RICO trial?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

The other thing is while it acts as a preview to some of the States case for Trump, that also swings the other way. It means that the Prosecution get a practice run for the trial against Trump.
That and should they get any convictions, suddenly a lot more people might consider flipping than did before.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Trump wants to be tried alone because it's easier to prove RICO charges when everyone is tried at once. He literally filed a motion to sever.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Fart Amplifier posted:

Trump wants to be tried alone because it's easier to prove RICO charges when everyone is tried at once. He literally filed a motion to sever.

On paper sure but Trump's main defense is "chud juror creates mistrial" and that's a lot lot lot more likely if Trump is in the room. Chuds are a lot less likely to just TROMP OUT if it's not trump himself in the defense stand.

It's not like any of this is hard to prove. Nobodys' arguing he didn't do it. There's no factual issue here. Trump will tell you he did it, and it was perfect, the best ever.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

On paper sure but Trump's main defense is "chud juror creates mistrial" and that's a lot lot lot more likely if Trump is in the room. Chuds are a lot less likely to just TROMP OUT if it's not trump himself in the defense stand.

It's not like any of this is hard to prove. Nobodys' arguing he didn't do it. There's no factual issue here. Trump will tell you he did it, and it was perfect, the best ever.

Trump never did a RICO, but if he ever did, it would be the grandest, most perfect RICO you've ever seen. Way better than any RICO Joe Biden and his son Hunter could dream up. It really just proves how inept and corrupt Joe Biden is that he can't even RICO properly like me, a beautiful minded genius.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Fart Amplifier posted:

they can still use everyone else's crimes and overt acts against him, regardless of how the trials are split up. it doesn't affect how easy or hard it is to prove the charges in any direct sense (though of course there are outside factors at play that will result in the trials being different, like different juries, etc)

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Main Paineframe posted:

They don't need to pay actual lawyers big $lawyerbucks to do it.

I just had to laugh at the suggestion that these lawyers are getting paid in anything but MAL gift certificates.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Skex posted:

I just had to laugh at the suggestion that these lawyers are getting paid in anything but MAL gift certificates.

They’re getting paid from chud political donations

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE

Murgos posted:

What? Why don’t you go refresh yourself on the frivolous Trump suits filed by real lawyers from the last 3 years?

Trump uses legal filings to get media attention all the time.

I'd say the strategy isn't one or the other, it's both. They file every motion possible to appeal and to delay as long as possible until he can get elected and pardon himself.

On top of that he's tweeting and rambling about everything he can to keep media attention so he can keep his idiot base donating money and riled up about how unfairly he's being treated.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Skex posted:

They're all being paid by Trump's PAC iirc. It's why his PAC is burning through money.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

aventari posted:

I'd say the strategy isn't one or the other, it's both. They file every motion possible to appeal and to delay as long as possible until he can get elected and pardon himself.

On top of that he's tweeting and rambling about everything he can to keep media attention so he can keep his idiot base donating money and riled up about how unfairly he's being treated.

If he had a good legal argument I assume he would avail himself of it.

The point I’m making is that he uses court filings as a narrative tool. How many filings (or claiming he will file) have been made by him or on his behalf over the last 10 years that had no real chance of success but he used to message his base that he was strong in an area or correct on something that just got dismissed a little later after the media cycle moved on? Dozens? Over and over again he does the media circuit on some false grievances backed only by some nebulous legal action.

Right now he’s using the court system to attack the judges in his cases not because he can be successful in court but because it helps the narrative that the deep state is after him.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

V-Men posted:

They're all being paid by Trump's PAC iirc. It's why his PAC is burning through money.

Its amazing because Trump's PAC is sucking up all of the donor money, not to win the 2024 election but to not go to jail.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Murgos posted:

If he had a good legal argument I assume he would avail himself of it.

The point I’m making is that he uses court filings as a narrative tool. How many filings (or claiming he will file) have been made by him or on his behalf over the last 10 years that had no real chance of success but he used to message his base that he was strong in an area or correct on something that just got dismissed a little later after the media cycle moved on? Dozens? Over and over again he does the media circuit on some false grievances backed only by some nebulous legal action.

Right now he’s using the court system to attack the judges in his cases not because he can be successful in court but because it helps the narrative that the deep state is after him.

It does help him be successful in court, though. It doesn't help much, but that's just the nature of his situation. Even if the judge rejects it (as usually happens), filing this motion now is necessary to bring it up in appeals.

I know this because it actually pops up quite a bit as a hail mary legal tactic from people who are almost certainly going to lose the initial trial on the merits. Even if their case is some obscure poo poo the press is not going to care about. It's not just some wacky Trump stunt for the media, it's a part of the standard legal playbook for extremely long-shot cases.

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Devor posted:

They’re getting paid

...in exposure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

quote:

NOTICE OF HEARING as to ETHAN NORDEAN (1): Corrected Sentencing set for 9/15/2023 at 12:30 PM in Courtroom 11 before Judge Timothy J. Kelly. (zkh)

Nordean is back in front of Kelly today (in a couple hours) RE sentencing