Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell
Is this the 21st century version of the opera game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
He is using the Lichess colour sceme, so presumably he is playing on Lichess. So if you care you can search the api for that position and find out who won.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

VictualSquid posted:

He is using the Lichess colour sceme, so presumably he is playing on Lichess. So if you care you can search the api for that position and find out who won.

It's the Chess.com app, not Lichess

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

EDIT: just kidding -- regarding why he played that move, my theory is that white's rook is on g1, there's no pawn on g2, so black plays g6 to avoid losing the pawn because he doesn't wanna castle into the occupied half open file

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Helianthus Annuus fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Sep 9, 2023

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

I lost in 4 moves to a Russian (hung a bishop) and he posted SLAVA ROSSIA then offered me a draw. I've never been so thoroughly owned in my life.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
I turned off chat entirely because, not gonna lie, the guy who posted the cry-laughing emoji after every one of my moves absolutely tilted me.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Arrhythmia posted:

I turned off chat entirely because, not gonna lie, the guy who posted the cry-laughing emoji after every one of my moves absolutely tilted me.

BIG BISHOP ENERGY

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

big trivia FAIL posted:

I lost in 4 moves to a Russian (hung a bishop) and he posted SLAVA ROSSIA then offered me a draw. I've never been so thoroughly owned in my life.

Not all heroes wear capes. That guy rules.

Arrhythmia posted:

I keep chat on for the exact reason you turned it off. To me, poo poo like that is just like going to a double feature. Two shows for the price of one.

rollick
Mar 20, 2009
I hate that you can't disable chat in lichess, only hide it. It's the worst part of the platform for me. Just feels like playing next to an open sewer.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

rollick posted:

I hate that you can't disable chat in lichess, only hide it. It's the worst part of the platform for me. Just feels like playing next to an open sewer.

Can't you just click the green box at the top of the chat to disable it? I remember it persisting being off as well

rollick
Mar 20, 2009

101 posted:

Can't you just click the green box at the top of the chat to disable it? I remember it persisting being off as well

No, it just hides it from view. The other player can type what they like in it, and you can go back and look any time. There's also a "kid mode" that permanently removes it from view, but it's still there. I don't know why, but just knowing that it's there makes me desperately curious to check it, so I'd love a way to get rid of it entirely.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

rollick posted:

No, it just hides it from view. The other player can type what they like in it, and you can go back and look any time. There's also a "kid mode" that permanently removes it from view, but it's still there. I don't know why, but just knowing that it's there makes me desperately curious to check it, so I'd love a way to get rid of it entirely.

No offence, but if you have that little self-control about it, what makes you think you'd even keep the setting off if they offered it?

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

have you considered simply trash-talking back to them?

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

rollick posted:

Nobody ever even chats in my games. Or maybe I just don't notice.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Honestly my experience in lichess chat has been mostly positive. It's rarely used, but it's mostly people giving a GG or saying something funny. There are some nice people in online games!

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

fisting by many posted:

Honestly my experience in lichess chat has been mostly positive. It's rarely used, but it's mostly people giving a GG or saying something funny. There are some nice people in online games!

i always say “chess is for nerds” in lichess chat when im losing

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

fart simpson posted:

i always say “chess is for nerds” in lichess chat when im losing

and "chess is for nerds 🤓" when you're winning

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Sometimes stockfish is trash.

Doing a lichess game review. Stockfish says i have mate in 15. I make a(obvious, intuitive, forcing)move, stockfish now says I have a mate in 10

In what goddamn world does that make sense, stockfish. I know you evaluate games backwards to keep a cache of best moves.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

ikanreed posted:

Doing a lichess game review. Stockfish says i have mate in 15. I make a(obvious, intuitive, forcing)move, stockfish now says I have a mate in 10

In what goddamn world does that make sense, stockfish. I know you evaluate games backwards to keep a cache of best moves.

Run the first position longer and it'll find the shorter mate, eventually.

Someone better at explaining than I am can probably give a more detailed response, but one way this can happen is based on how the pruning works.

Like the shorter mate has at least one "less expected to be good" move and so it doesn't go down that branch 'early enough' in the eval.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

ikanreed posted:

sounds like you could beat stockfish?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

fart simpson posted:

sounds like you could beat stockfish?

If everything were beating an opponent in the fewest moves from one specific position.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
OK, I'm not sure how open the thread is to posting full games for like, quick analysis purposes, but I think most of you are a lot better than me and I'd like to bounce this one off you. The story is I went up a piece but ultimately made a couple of defensive mistakes then tried a sacrifice with <1m to go that just didn't work and then missed a tactic with <5 seconds that would have equalized to rook and pawns (though I still think I was toast between time trouble and their better King activity).

In trying to learn something from this one ... I think my whole game was undermined by 10. ... cxd4. My thought in-game was, "the whole point of this opening is trading c for d so that has to be right," but I think not pushing c4 and giving his bishop access to f7 totally dictated the rest of the game. Even after I went up a piece, ultimately I had to give back the exchange/pawn because of it. I was still "ahead" up to 30. ... Nxg3?? where I was down 5 minutes and just trying to force something when I should have defended, but ... I dunno.

(Or maybe the actual answer is, "why was your rook on a8 all the way to move 25?")

https://lichess.org/ZsZtHh73

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Huxley posted:

OK, I'm not sure how open the thread is to posting full games for like, quick analysis purposes, but I think most of you are a lot better than me and I'd like to bounce this one off you. The story is I went up a piece but ultimately made a couple of defensive mistakes then tried a sacrifice with <1m to go that just didn't work and then missed a tactic with <5 seconds that would have equalized to rook and pawns (though I still think I was toast between time trouble and their better King activity).

In trying to learn something from this one ... I think my whole game was undermined by 10. ... cxd4. My thought in-game was, "the whole point of this opening is trading c for d so that has to be right," but I think not pushing c4 and giving his bishop access to f7 totally dictated the rest of the game. Even after I went up a piece, ultimately I had to give back the exchange/pawn because of it. I was still "ahead" up to 30. ... Nxg3?? where I was down 5 minutes and just trying to force something when I should have defended, but ... I dunno.

(Or maybe the actual answer is, "why was your rook on a8 all the way to move 25?")

I'm trying to avoid looking at the engine eval but it's hard when it's right there lol

Yeah, 10. d4 is bad for white because black isn't obligated to take and can push c4 instead. Then the bishop is forced away from the action. Remember pawns can have three moves: push, capture, ignore.

16. Be7 is awkward, I get you're trying to defend the center pawn but there are other moves that do the same without blocking your rook.

22. Subtle king moves are hard to spot, but recognize that white's queen is hanging if you can just escape the pin. That gains a tempo and your king is safe there.

23. honestly I didn't see this tactic. I did notice Rf3 is an awkward move that doesn't seem to accomplish anything immediately, I guess the plan is to create a battery on the g file. I get the sense that when your opponent makes a move that sort of seems like a waste of time, it's good to look deeper for ways to exploit it.

27. you can just go Re7 and not trade a rook for a bishop. Stockfish says taking is fine but that's only due to galaxy brain engine stuff that wins an exchange back 10 moves later with perfect play. you also spent 45 seconds here, I'd say this is the decisive mistake.

30. you know it, defend the knight, no need to throw it away. But once you're in time trouble it's hard to think clearly.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Huxley posted:

Yeah that was my first thought. I would've finished developing the queen and rook before pushing the pawn to d4, although I'm lower rated so what do I know.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum

These are a few problems that I could identify:

14. ... Bd6
This is the first move that struck me as weird, trying to trade off the dark square bishops right after white has played f3 creating a dark square weakness around the king. White doesn't take the offer, and eventually you do get the white bishop for your knight but then...

24. ... Bf6
You put your own bishop on f6 where it doesn't threaten anything and its vision is blocked by your own pawn. The engine at various points earlier wanted to put it on c5, b4, d6: all squares that are posing some threats towards the white king.

But fine, you have played it, so the next order of business is that your knight is out in no man's land and you need to rescue it. The easiest way to do this is to push the d4 pawn to d3 to make room for the knight. Instead you play some passive moves and let the white queen get to d3, blockading the pawn and threatening your knight which now has nowhere to go. You can still save it, but because of time trouble you don't see how and lose the knight and the game. I don't blame you for missing the defense on the final moves here under time pressure, but you could have saved it a lot earlier and not put yourself in that situation.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Thank you all for the feedback! This one:

Promethium posted:

14. ... Bd6
This is the first move that struck me as weird, trying to trade off the dark square bishops right after white has played f3 creating a dark square weakness around the king. White doesn't take the offer, and eventually you do get the white bishop for your knight but then...

in particular is annoying to me because I very specifically gave the Queen attack to force f3. The whole idea wasn't an accident, but I didn't follow up on it conceptually. Like, "OK, awesome! I broke up his defensive pawn structure a bit, good job!" but then failed to plan on taking advantage of it.

I think a lot of my weirdness was overestimating their Queen and Rook. I was spooked about g7 when that wasn't really a thing for them yet. And of course, after his Bishop gets in, I just need to move the attacked Rook to e7 or whatever and we go from there. Maybe I didn't need to be so desperate to clear out his attacking pieces.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

It finally happened, a textbook englund gambit

now to actually learn a real opener vs d4, recommendations appreciated

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

Caro khan

E: oh, d4. Whatever that gambit is, d4 d5 c4 e5. It's fun.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Become a premove 1. ... c5 person.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

regulargonzalez posted:

Caro khan

E: oh, d4. Whatever that gambit is, d4 d5 c4 e5. It's fun.

AH yea I remember seeing a vid about that, the Albin countergambit

if everything flows like its supposed to you get this hilarious situation

how often do people play queen's gambit?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Mikojan posted:

AH yea I remember seeing a vid about that, the Albin countergambit

if everything flows like its supposed to you get this hilarious situation

how often do people play queen's gambit?

At my level (1100 rapid chesscom, 1400 lichess) I'd say it's once every 5-6 games maybe.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
At 1200-1600 on Lichess (800-1200 chess.com), around 4%–5% of your games with black will be against d4 c4.

I've personally got dead even distribution among 2. c4, 2. e3, and 2. Bf4.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

I'm playing Vienna as white, fantasy caro if they caro. As black I play caro vs e4. In the vary rare case of f4, I try the From's gambit.

So I'm trying to figure out a gameplan vs e4. I can fit in the Albin vs the queens gambit. However what do I play if they don't gambit? Just a regular london system?

I know trying to cover all bases isn't very feasable as a beginner but I do like being prepared and knowing exactly what to improve / study

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Mikojan posted:

I'm playing Vienna as white, fantasy caro if they caro. As black I play caro vs e4. In the vary rare case of f4, I try the From's gambit.

So I'm trying to figure out a gameplan vs e4. I can fit in the Albin vs the queens gambit. However what do I play if they don't gambit? Just a regular london system?

I know trying to cover all bases isn't very feasible as a beginner but I do like being prepared and knowing exactly what to improve / study

My very limited prep is Scotch, Alapin, 2-Knight Caro, Tarrasch with White, and Accelerated Dragon against e4. I won a lot more games when I was playing the QG earlier this year, but I was convinced to stick with aggressive e4 openings for a while for learning purposes.

I see d4 so infrequently with black, basically my entire rep is:

If London: d5, Nf6, c5, Nc6, Qb6. I don't like rushing out Bf5 because I find the light square bishop standoff plays too much into what they want to do. You want them having to deal with your Queenside nonsense, not just waltzing into e5 while you build a slower triangle.

If Queen's Gambit: honestly, I just accept it then pretend that pawn advantage doesn't exist. Just know what your 3rd move is against (in order of popularity):
Nc3 (a6, b5, and from here they'll be as far out of prep as you are; the idea is you are going to kick their Knight around, play Bb7 then resume normal play)
e3 (e5, trade a bunch of stuff in the middle, Nf6 Bishop out and castle)
e4 (also e5 then take, trade queens if they take first)
Nf3 (Nf6, Bf5, e6, Be7, o-o and this will probably feel a lot like a Caro to you)

Paperboy
Nov 20, 2018

:shepface:
I started out playing Ruy Lopez as white, or just reacting to whatever black plays when I play 1.e4.

As black, my defenses are really bad, so I tend to lose games a lot more as black. For sure an area of weakness for me.

I guess I should learn some defenses, but for now I just focus on solid positional play and tactics and hope that brings
my skill level up along with reviewing annotated master games and leafing through the occasional chess book.

Recently, I played a pretty strong game against a lichess 1881:
https://lichess.org/JeNhUSux6Cpq

I consider myself a beginner/hobbyist so that win was a nice feeling.

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

That was some good chess. I like how you quickly simplified at the end. I wouldn't call that beginner, though!

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
i was playing the black pieces in this position, and stockfish says i was doing ok until i played Rd8. find the only good move for white and punish me! (my opponent didn't see it and ended up resigning, so i thought Rd8 was a great move until i turned on the computer)

stockfish says black should have moved the bishop on f2 instead of the rook
white's backward pawn on d3 is under attack
black's bishop on f2 can be trapped

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I assume it's d4? Attacked by three black pieces but supported by three white pieces, white can win the exchange, which if black declines, his bishop is trapped on f2?

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Leperflesh posted:

I assume it's d4? Attacked by three black pieces but supported by three white pieces, white can win the exchange, which if black declines, his bishop is trapped on f2?

right you are, leper fish! d4 is the move

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
If you had to recommend one chess book for a beginner - I haven't played ladder due to number fear, so I don't know - which one would you recommend?