Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

I have only done two dungeons during the event and got an opal style page in both runs. Are they guaranteed even on normal or was I just lucky?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

floppyspud
Jul 21, 2022

Simone Poodoin posted:

Yeah I have done a lot too, even vet runs, and have rarely found a useless or toxic group (and a few times I have been the weak point lol).

Make sure you know the boss mechanics before queueing for vet, it’s really important for dlc dungeons. I use the specific dungeon queue even if it takes longer because it feels bad to me to burden the team because I don’t know what to do.

The only bad experience ive ever had with a random normal is when our tank was afk for basically the whole thing and me and the other dps followed the quest marker to fight the final boss, we died wondering where everyone else was, and they were fighting some other boss that we didnt know existed. When we went back to the final boss it probably took like half an hour to finish it, felt like a fever dream.

I think it was a dlc dungeon? We were in some like bioshock-esque underwater base.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

blitzing dungeons and disenchanting everything is a great way to inject crafting materials into your account too

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I've had some great random dungeon runs on normal and vet and just as many bad ones. Many times the tank leader is haring off without waiting for anyone after they've got the quest running smack into the first boss and getting obliterated before dps has time to get there. Then they gripe about "not enough aoe" ( I had one of these last night) and complaining about the healer not keeping up.

I will also put my hand up as often being the weak point, but in my defence I've been in groups that simply shouldn't have been trying vet dungeons in the first place (again, last night) because you really do need to know the boss mechanics as mentioned and I've also come to the conclusion I should stay away from vet until I've improved my provisioning so I can buff myself a bit more. There are public dungeons where the bosses are still a bit tough (gave up on Gloom Tooth in Zenithar's Abbey Blackwood after 3 deaths), but I'm getting there. Also got scrying up to purple now after a long grind today.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I had my first dungeon experience last night. When I joined I grabbed a quest (didn't know they had those in dungeons) and then encountered what appeared to a scripted constant flood of enemies rushing the entrance. I was waiting for the other players to appear and managed to hold the enemies off for a little while but it was getting hairy.

Then a portal appeared and... I jumped in. Found myself maybe halfway through the dungeon with one other player and he dashed off. I followed him and saw that he was running past all the enemies, so I followed and we ran all the way to the end of the dungeon where the other two players were fighting a boss. No one was fighting adds that kept grabbing people and pulling them away from the boss so I fought those. Then it was over and I had to figure out how to exit. There was no way I could go back and catch the quest objectives on my own.

So it was well in line with my dungeon experience in literally every other MMO I've ever played.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
Well, after you do the quest, that's a pretty efficient way of beating a dungeon!

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Simone Poodoin posted:

The snowflake is the best tool for sure, with the added magicka charges you can get with skills it becomes trivial. Excavation can always be challenging though for the higher difficulties.
At scrying 9, the farsight tool becomes better. Straight line from the bottom to claim the first foci. Straight lines from that line to each of the side foci. For purple or lower, you're done now and haven't used a single actual turn. For higher difficulty ones, you'll need to use a single regular turn to grab the top foci (it'll be one away from your line).

At this point they might as well just remove the scrying game altogether, because it's literally impossible to lose and requires zero thought.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Well the excavation game is beating me, I couldn't dig up my 2nd purple because I have no time to do it, I've tried using the shovel and the trowel.. I will have to hold off until I can level up more and improve the trowel or something. With the scrying I found I don't have to get it right every time, I can just get enough to narrow it down to 2 areas and pick up some junk in one area and it will upgrade the foci, so you can't lose no matter how badly you play it.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

ewe2 posted:

Well the excavation game is beating me, I couldn't dig up my 2nd purple because I have no time to do it, I've tried using the shovel and the trowel.. I will have to hold off until I can level up more and improve the trowel or something. With the scrying I found I don't have to get it right every time, I can just get enough to narrow it down to 2 areas and pick up some junk in one area and it will upgrade the foci, so you can't lose no matter how badly you play it.
is you augr double upgraded so you can see where things are without predigging a bunch? Just level 1 shovel and double augr is enough to dig everything up consistently. Trowel is only if you want to do the connect and explode game for higher chance at treasures. I have never used trowel ever.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Having played a character from each faction up past L15 I definitely like the Stonefalls zone the most of any of the starter areas. The volcano, and lava and giant mushrooms... incredible atmosphere.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Sep 12, 2023

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
Couple new things from the Update Preview stream:

Endless dungeon looks awesome, available for everyone, not dlc. Solo or duo/companion ranking boards. There are roguelite elements where you can pick buffs after every stage, some permanent.

Jewelry crafting becoming a lot cheaper. Getting rid of grains.

And Activity Finder has been expanded to include other options than Dungeons including Trials!! yay!

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
Also Necrom event at the end of the month has a reward of :siren: a new house! :siren:

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

1glitch0 posted:

Jewelry crafting becoming a lot cheaper. Getting rid of grains.

Does this mean jewelry will sell for less? Listing jewelry for $1k each is my bread and butter

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Pontificating rear end posted:

Does this mean jewelry will sell for less? Listing jewelry for $1k each is my bread and butter

Like gold jewelry? Probably yeah. They're bringing the cost more in line with other crafting. If I understood it correctly chromium grains are gone and they're exchanging any grains you have to plating on a 1=1 scale.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

1glitch0 posted:

Like gold jewelry? Probably yeah. They're bringing the cost more in line with other crafting. If I understood it correctly chromium grains are gone and they're exchanging any grains you have to plating on a 1=1 scale.
About time. The fact that it just arbitrarily used 10x as many materials for upgrades as everything else because it was an expansion feature profession was always silly.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

1glitch0 posted:

You can always list any jewelry on the traders for $1k and it will sell and I dont even know why. You get a lot of white 'platinum rings' etc which I figured people deconstructed for the platinum, but it works for any jewelry

edit: Apparently you can sell purple jewelry for $10k each I've definitely missed out a couple hundred thousand gold on that one haha :qq:

Pontificating Ass fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Sep 15, 2023

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
Yeah people regularly buy up Blue and Purple jewelry to try and get themselves some Iridium and Zircon.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

My experience with companions so far is pretty good, but I was disappointed to find that the Argonian dude requires Necrom. Wanted him to be my warden's fishing buddy, but alas.

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

Dick Trauma posted:

My experience with companions so far is pretty good, but I was disappointed to find that the Argonian dude requires Necrom. Wanted him to be my warden's fishing buddy, but alas.

Are you on Steam or console? I have some steambux and would gift you a copy of Necrom to spread the good word of Sharp-as-Night.

Also my first* character is about to hit 50 and I’m totally lost with where to go from there. Is there a recent “Here’s your options at max level” guide somewhere? I know that I need champion points and that’s just more XP I think? Any guidance would be appreciated!

* I had a 50 warden some years ago, and have like 17 of each of the three CP types, but I was gone for so long I deleted him to start fresh.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Thank you for your kind offer, but as a filthy casual I must decline. I might never get to Necrom's real content! :corsair:

That said... I'm digging the game so far. Curious to see how things go once I get past what must be the oldest low level content.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

A Real Horse posted:

Are you on Steam or console? I have some steambux and would gift you a copy of Necrom to spread the good word of Sharp-as-Night.

Also my first* character is about to hit 50 and I’m totally lost with where to go from there. Is there a recent “Here’s your options at max level” guide somewhere? I know that I need champion points and that’s just more XP I think? Any guidance would be appreciated!

* I had a 50 warden some years ago, and have like 17 of each of the three CP types, but I was gone for so long I deleted him to start fresh.

A quick summary:

- Past level 50 you start earning CP levels for your XP, which are shared across characters (a new one will instantly get your CP once you get it to 50).
- CP can be used to get special perks in an astral tree vaguely like in Skyrim (you don't lose it but you need more for more perks).
- Up till CP160 you'll be levelling like normal with the CP levels being essentially an extended level progression, so just continue doing what you're doing.
- After CP160 the level scaling will stop, meaning new CP is only used for the perks - but it also means that you can start putting together proper gear, look up some builds online for ideas.

TLDR until CP160 just treat it as extra levels with perks, after CP160 you can start putting together gear but you won't get as much from more CP.

I think it's a pretty great system since it makes XP worthwhile for a very very long time.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

So to give even a more TLDR answer, nothing changes until CP160, it's just more levels with some extra benefits, no need to stress out about what to do until you're there.

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

Borderline Anti-Social Schizoid

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

is you augr double upgraded so you can see where things are without predigging a bunch? Just level 1 shovel and double augr is enough to dig everything up consistently. Trowel is only if you want to do the connect and explode game for higher chance at treasures. I have never used trowel ever.

It's not chance-based. The treasures are always located on the lines between the fissures.

And you can get some very good treasures (including style pages) from digs.

Private Speech posted:

A quick summary:

- Past level 50 you start earning CP levels for your XP, which are shared across characters (a new one will instantly get your CP once you get it to 50).

Champion Points are unlocked right from level 1 on additional characters.

Offkorn fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Sep 16, 2023

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Offkorn posted:

Champion Points are unlocked right from level 1 on additional characters.

Yes you get the perks, but you still need to get to 50 to get to cp gear level.

Unless it changed recently anyway.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Sharp-as-Night is definitely my favourite companion. Although you may get sick of his little aphorisms as you gather resources and he does get mad if you squander them to make pack room or do other un-theithworty things. Worth it just for the yucks when he scolds an unlucky victim with "Better luck next time! oh...wait"

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

ewe2 posted:

Sharp-as-Night is definitely my favourite companion. Although you may get sick of his little aphorisms as you gather resources and he does get mad if you squander them to make pack room or do other un-theithworty things. Worth it just for the yucks when he scolds an unlucky victim with "Better luck next time! oh...wait"

There's a setting to adjust the frequency of companion comments.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Endless archive looks sick, cant wait to play that

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

Just finished my first couple of pledges for the Undaunted. A delve and then Sewers I. I had like 50ish total CP going in from my previous character, and am now sitting at 80 because apparently you get a huge bonus to earning it if you haven't been keeping up.

Also just wanted to say how much I really enjoy this game. Every now and then I think about resubbing to WoW, and within a couple minutes always arrive at "But everything I want from it ESO does better". It certainly helps that I've had zero bad experiences with the community, even on dungeon runs where I've been the weak link. Maybe that changes in veteran, I'm a ways out from that yet. But everyone has always been super chill and relaxed.

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

Double post to say this is the best MMO on the market today. I feel like I'm a freshman in college skipping class to play WoW again, although I'm a late 30s "adult" with a career. I just started doing Antiquities and I am going to be spending a long, long time doing this.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

As I move through an area I sometimes accumulate set pieces and I hang onto the ones that seem useful. One set has a 5 piece bonus that when attacking summons a little volcano that poops out flaming boulders but what has me confused is that I'm sure that I only have four pieces from it but the description shows all five effects active, and sure enough I'm seeing the volcano during battles. Am I not understanding how sets work?

EDIT: VVVV :q:

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Sep 18, 2023

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Dick Trauma posted:

As I move through an area I sometimes accumulate set pieces and I hang onto the ones that seem useful. One set has a 5 piece bonus that when attacking summons a little volcano that poops out flaming boulders but what has me confused is that I'm sure that I only have four pieces from it but the description shows all five effects active, and sure enough I'm seeing the volcano during battles. Am I not understanding how sets work?

Two handed weapons count as 2 set pieces, if you’re using one

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
Here's some common items that consistently sell on guild traders if anyone is interested. It makes the loot game a bit more interesting

Any jewelry: $1k
Purple jewelry: $10k
-
White armor/weapons (rubedo etc) with intricate trait: 400g
-
Most Alchemy items: 250-600g or more
Columbine: 4k - 4.5k (makes 4 top-notch potions)
-
Decorative Wax: $1k

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

What's a good solo see class to take on a tour of all the content? Solo everything, chill on a controller sometimes though I'll be on PC. I saw a mention of a one bar magsorc build that seemed pretty interesting

PatentPending
Nov 27, 2007

[1950s eel-based dad joke]
I don’t know if it’s meta or not but I’m having a good time with my solo dragonknight.

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

Did my first vet Dungeon the other night for the undaunted pledge, Spindleclutch I. I’m sure it was one of the easier vets, but I was surprised at how smooth it was. The only death was me at the very end, when I misjudged how far my dodge roll would get me and ate her AoE. Group was very chill, and I’m looking forward to trying more veteran dungeons this weekend.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

I think every class is viable to solo most content, it’s more about the build and the gear imo. Any one bar build with high survivability should be good for chill solo play.

Figure out which class you like and then you can prob find a decent solo build for it.

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007
I like the bowden builds. you get a bear buddy to help your survivability, both weapons are bows so you've got pretty similar bars and a fairly simple rotation.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Warden has a couple of builds that are great solo.

Ice warden: frost staff and 1h+shield - also a good tank option. Cool aoe :rimshot: and very hard to kill

I prefer however a Stam warden: bow + 2h weapon + bear. At a decent level, is essentially unkillable in PvE. Damage shields get stronger the more you get swarmed. Switching bow and 2h weapon keeps you from getting bored. Want your bear to do the work? Use bow. Want to face tank? Use 2h. Or mix it up. The only thing that might give you trouble is single opponent high burst damage from some world bosses. But it’s rare.

Case study: I solo the crow boss during the Halloween event. Takes a while, but it’s a ton of fun and just the right level challenge.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I'm on a crafting binge right now, doing some amazing alchemy writs and trying to boost my armor.

Anyone got a recommendation for gear for a magicka sorcerer, I've been running medium briarheart but I'm not going to beat world bosses or solo vet dungeons with it and I've got a bunch of undaunted keys so if there's a set that's NOT Pillar of Nirn I'm all ears.

Also I'll take that Stam Warden on board, once I've finished maxing this one's crafting I might level my warden up for soloing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

ewe2 posted:

Anyone got a recommendation for gear for a magicka sorcerer,

I'm planning to gear my sorc up with segeant's mail and storm master once I get it to 50. If you're running lightning staff that seems like a very nice option.

As for monster sets I like running one piece of slimecraw on both my characters these days.