Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
CDs whip rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I've been on a CD kick lately too. I picked all these up for $1/ea last week.

Also had an unusual goodwill vinyl find yesterday:

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Nightmare Cinema posted:

I'm usually against Best Of albums since they're almost all radio hits or similar, but that Nick Cave one (alongside Bjork's Greatest Hits) probably stand as "perfect" compilations to me. Wonder what the general consensus is here on "Greatest Hits" LPs.

Usually I avoid them because I want the popular song in context on the album, but certain bands it can be preferable, like say, Steppenwolf. If I see a cheap greatest hits CD of a band I've heard of I'll snap that poo poo up though. Got a 5th Dimension greatest hits CD on the stack to listen to actually.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I generally try to avoid greatest hits anything. I like having an album and the context and vision that the album provides.

Costco Meatballs
Oct 21, 2022

by Pragmatica
Greatest hits albums that have a b side of covers and unreleased songs own. Smashing Pumpkins, Matt Good come to mind

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Nightmare Cinema posted:

Recent pickups

I'm usually against Best Of albums since they're almost all radio hits or similar, but that Nick Cave one (alongside Bjork's Greatest Hits) probably stand as "perfect" compilations to me. Wonder what the general consensus is here on "Greatest Hits" LPs.
I think that original Alice Cooper’s Greatest Hits on Warner bros is the best Alice Cooper album.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Heath posted:

I generally try to avoid greatest hits anything. I like having an album and the context and vision that the album provides.

Seconding this, and I'm usually very obsessive about having the complete discography of artists I really like.

Though I'll make exceptions for bands like say... Abba where I like some of their tracks but I really don't need everything they've released. Or folks from the era where they just released an album of standards every six months like Sinatra (with the exception of outliers like "In the Wee Small Hours" that had a more deliberate intent behind the song selections)

And b-side/EP compilations are fair game.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Not a huge Eagles fan, but their greatest hits (1971-75) album is genuinely offensive for not having Outlaw Man.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Once again I am posting a deal...

https://www.nortonrecords.com/hurricane-sandy-survivor-pack/

I bought two of these packs a week ago when they were $10. Now they are $5. With shipping it's about a buck a record. Good deal from a good label.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
https://twitter.com/mrsimonraymonde/status/1700137610214064272?s=46&t=t8CFjI5-v0IxaoLh38KSzw

Also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3OqVUsqkh8

tl,dr CDs from before the loudness wars could be preferable.

Mike Cartwright
Oct 29, 2011

state of the art
I have a CD collection from the 90s, only issue is I've noticed a few have bronzed or become unplayable, CD rot basically. Not sure if that is still an issue these days.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

I remember researching types of CDs and I think even pressed discs eventually die. Burned CDs die much faster.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

pwn posted:

tl,dr CDs from before the loudness wars could be preferable.

This reminded me, am I nuts or is the CD for Amy Winehouse's Back in Black mixed too goddamn loud? I stopped listening to it and eventually sold it because it was such an unpleasant wall of sound. Which sucked because I did like the album, but not it hammering my head because everything's tuned to max.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Turbinosamente posted:

This reminded me, am I nuts or is the CD for Amy Winehouse's Back in Black mixed too goddamn loud? I stopped listening to it and eventually sold it because it was such an unpleasant wall of sound. Which sucked because I did like the album, but not it hammering my head because everything's tuned to max.

The CD is brickwalled. The vinyl has dynamics.

Californication I think is the biggest night & day difference when it comes to vinyl vs. CD masters I think. The Bellman-cut LP still has that shrill lo-fi mono sound but at least it's listenable.

I Might Be Adam posted:

I remember researching types of CDs and I think even pressed discs eventually die. Burned CDs die much faster.

Any CDs made in the 80's that I have (some are inherited from my dad, the rest I bought used) play perfectly fine. There's some unlucky ones from that period that I saw disc rot and passed on getting (specifically Propaganda's A Secret Wish), but aside from that the disc rot thing is a myth.

All my CD-R's on the other hand became unusable 5-10 years after I burned them.

Nightmare Cinema fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Sep 10, 2023

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

I Might Be Adam posted:

I remember researching types of CDs and I think even pressed discs eventually die.

It's down to the adhesive used to keep the layers sandwiched together. If that adhesive degrades the layers begin to separate and the data layer oxidizes? I think? It's been a minute since I researched it.

Personal anecdote: Some DVDs I had left in extreme temperatures are now unplayable. Heat and cold will degrade the glue.

Of course if they use an unstable glue for a batch at the plant then you're hosed, in ten or 15 or 20 years or whenever the glue fails.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Get this pro-CD propaganda outta here

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Nightmare Cinema posted:

The CD is brickwalled. The vinyl has dynamics.

Ah yeah, brickwall was the term I'm looking for. Good to know I wasn't nuts.

Hot Diggity! posted:

Get this pro-CD propaganda outta here

It's a tough world, you gotta do what you gotta do.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
An old family friend of ours, a guy who’s been a musician all his life (he’s in his early 70s), insists that the only Beatles albums worth owning are the Red and Blue compilations.

They’re great albums and I’ll admit that they’re the only Beatles I have on vinyl, but I feel it’s probably not a widely held opinion.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Early pre loudness war CDs sound great and I'm hoarding them to cash out someday.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Creature posted:

An old family friend of ours, a guy who’s been a musician all his life (he’s in his early 70s), insists that the only Beatles albums worth owning are the Red and Blue compilations.

They’re great albums and I’ll admit that they’re the only Beatles I have on vinyl, but I feel it’s probably not a widely held opinion.

Is this your friend? I can think of a few worth owning, but I am also a late Beatles kind of dork.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Creature posted:

I want to say I saw a YouTube video on those being the best sounding compilations quality wise. I don’t remember why. I’ll put the video here when I find it.

Beatles Vinyl YouTube exists for anyone who didn’t know.

Edit: I don’t think I found the proper video, but I do know those 2 compilations use the actual master tapes and there are a bunch of illegal/semi-legal compilations that didn’t have that luxury from around the time they were released.

Love is my favorite compilation of you can count it as that.

Edit: Oh I just realized they mean non compilations, yeah that’s crazy.

TheMightyBoops fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Sep 11, 2023

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
If you're like me and have been wanting a re-press of the Guacamelee soundtrack, we have been blessed!

https://shiptoshoremedia.com/collections/featured/products/guacamelee-original-video-game-soundtrack-lp

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

:tviv: That Sleepytime Gorilla Museum Kickstarter hit 120K and they just announced the extra funds are going to finally completing the last Idiot Flesh album along with the first ever vinyl pressing of Fancy, which has one of the cooler CD packages in my collection:

...just the packaging, though. Someone broke into my car years ago just to steal a CD wallet full of dork poo poo. I'm still mad about that.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

caligulamprey posted:

:tviv: That Sleepytime Gorilla Museum Kickstarter hit 120K and they just announced the extra funds are going to finally completing the last Idiot Flesh album along with the first ever vinyl pressing of Fancy, which has one of the cooler CD packages in my collection:

...just the packaging, though. Someone broke into my car years ago just to steal a CD wallet full of dork poo poo. I'm still mad about that.

I remember when someone broke into my car and stole my CD booklet of BURNED CD's and some change. They left my nice sunglasses though.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
Girl Talk finally arrived today, along with a few other preorders over the past week while I was on vacation. So much great poo poo to listen to now.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

Frozen Peach posted:

Girl Talk finally arrived today, along with a few other preorders over the past week while I was on vacation. So much great poo poo to listen to now.

Wait, that's kind of wild. How can Girl Talk be commercially sold? Does he clear all those samples?

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

McCoy Pauley posted:

Wait, that's kind of wild. How can Girl Talk be commercially sold? Does he clear all those samples?

:ssh:

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

Oh right.

If you see someone doing something cool with uncleared samples no you didn't.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Is that why Death Grip’s first album is expensive / has such a large number of “unofficial” releases on Discogs? (Are those worth buying, or just CDs printed to vinyl?)

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

IUG posted:

Is that why Death Grip’s first album is expensive / has such a large number of “unofficial” releases on Discogs? (Are those worth buying, or just CDs printed to vinyl?)

I'm missing Ex-military and Government Plates, and it's pissing me off. :colbert:

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
I would pay an obscene amount of money for a version of Since I Left You that had all of the original samples on it.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

Schremp Howard posted:

I would pay an obscene amount of money for a version of Since I Left You that had all of the original samples on it.

Isn’t that how it was released in Australia? I seem to recall that it was only when it was released in either the UK or US that they had to redo the samples. Or was there a version before the 'official' first release?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Look vinyl thread, I don’t need to justify myself to you. I just got a raise at work, so yes, I did buy the stupid blinking LEDs version of the upcoming Aesop Rock record. Get off my back!

IUG fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Sep 15, 2023

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world

Read After Burning posted:

I'm missing Ex-military and Government Plates, and it's pissing me off. :colbert:

theres a new pressing of government plates coming out soon i think. u should be able to preorder it. I had to buy a bootleg for ex-military though

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
To any Genesis fans having trouble finding decent sounding versions of the original mixes for the 70's albums: Nursery Cryme, Foxtrot, Selling England, The Lamb, and Trick are getting reissues cut from the original master tapes.

The bad news? 45rpm. https://store.acousticsounds.com/a/3074/Genesis

BUT, there will be newly remastered Genesis SACDs too, so I don't doubt these will be the best sounding digital versions of the non-Lucas'd mixes (something no-one's ever been able to get right minus the Atlantic TotT CD from the 80's).

Also, I don't have any Christmas LP's yet so might be a perfect time to pop that cherry: https://store.atlanticrecords.com/en/atlantic-75/vinyl/christmas-eve-and-other-stories-crystal-clear-2lp/603497832675.html

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

CatBlack posted:

theres a new pressing of government plates coming out soon i think. u should be able to preorder it. I had to buy a bootleg for ex-military though

Oh, you're a drat (biblically-accurate) ANGEL!

VVV Zooming in on background details to figure out where you live, so I can come steal it.

Read After Burning fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Sep 15, 2023

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Just gunna show off my original Ex-Military pressing a friend of mine gave to me as a birthday present:

with the little black marker squiggle which is the only way to tell its an original and everything,

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

dorium posted:

Just gunna show off my original Ex-Military pressing a friend of mine gave to me as a birthday present:

with the little black marker squiggle which is the only way to tell its an original and everything,

To be clear, that's not official, right? Ex-Military is a mixtape so that's an "original" bootleg, right?

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

IUG posted:

Look vinyl thread, I don’t need to justify myself to you. I just got a raise at work, so yes, I did buy the stupid blinking LEDs version of the upcoming Aesop Rock record. Get off my back!

Friend, at least two of us bought the $200+ Dethklok boxset. It's okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

IUG posted:

That's a pretty neat design, congrats on the raise!