Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Jerusalem posted:

I'm up to date on the manga but just as a note for those who aren't, this post is about the manga/anime and not Top 3 moments of this season.

Good call. I edited it to make it more clear and I apologize to anyone that saw it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Doc Fission posted:

[*]why does the clown whip so much rear end

Really love this version of Buggy, yeah.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The funniest part of Buggy in the manga is definitely how he keeps failing upward.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

muscles like this! posted:

The funniest part of Buggy in the manga is definitely how he keeps failing upward.

he'll be the One Piece, just you watch

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

Doc Fission posted:

My brain did have a moment of "what are we doing" re: fishman racism, and are Marines cops, or who are the cops, or what is actually the police situation here. Tried to remember this is an anime written in the 90s for children where everyone wears their thoughts on the outside. But I wouldn't blame people for being turned off about it

I think Oda's views on race/gender/the police can largely be summed up as 'his heart is in the right place, but also he's an old Japanese man writing a comic book for children'. He may not always use the most up-to-date language and/or visual signifiers, and his situations tend to lack nuance because the world of One Piece is a very over-the-top place in general.

Also I looked up his actual age because I wasn't sure of it offhand and he's 48? Bit on the higher side, sure, but the way some people talk about him you'd expect him to be in his seventies and about to keel over from a dozen different ailments at any given moment.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
honestly the thing that worries me the most about his health is his smoking. this is his work desk. note the ashtray crammed full of cigarettes

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
also it rules so much that Shaolin Soccer is the reason live action one piece happened

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

deep dish peat moss posted:

I haven't watched episode 8 yet but I have to ask, am I missing something with this fishman racism plot? The guys speaking up against racism are all portrayed as ruthless gangsters who want to enslave the world in retribution and are accompanied by hiphop beats every time they're on-screen?

The easiest explanation is Cycle of Abuse. They've been treated like poo poo and so they're just behaving the same way they think everyone else behaves and passing on their trauma

Hurt people hurt people

And I agree with others that I appreciate the nuance. They're correct to be angry at their oppressors but they're also hypocrites for wanting to enslave all humans

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Captain Invictus posted:

honestly the thing that worries me the most about his health is his smoking. this is his work desk. note the ashtray crammed full of cigarettes

Hope he does the Takao Saito ink drying technique

https://twitter.com/ajoshhicks/status/1443134992763301890?t=iPxs7OKGL8lNAV6ceWgDfQ&s=19

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

lol :thumbsup:

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
The writers are probably enthusiastic enough to write all that but the main problem is that Netflix probably won't renew the show for that many seasons unless it consistently does Stranger Things numbers

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I'm looking forward to the next 11 seasons of One Piece

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
the pope's exorcist of netflix shows

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Lucy and the football but the football is contract renewal

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I'm looking forward to the next 11 seasons of One Piece

:yeah:

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
My girlfriend just watched through it today. She has no real context for anime, so doesn’t know tropes or characters or any of that going in other than my description of “magical pirate adventures”.

I think she only started because she knew I liked it, and one episode in she was wondering what the hell this show is. But by the time the end of the Baratie arc came about and the departure from the restaurant, she was tearing up and was invested. Then was really into everything happening in the last couple episodes and can’t wait for another season.

So take that for what you will as far as larger appeal goes.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

mikeycp posted:

the pope's exorcist of netflix shows
pope's exorcist was rad so idk if you think this is an insult or not

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

bowmore posted:

pope's exorcist was rad so idk if you think this is an insult or not

i loved it. but also i was just referencing it setting up 199 god damned sequels

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
pope's exorcist has sequels in the works???

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

bowmore posted:

pope's exorcist has sequels in the works???

they're working on one, but also the last line of the movie was about this being just 1 of 200 such cases after which he gets on his vespa to go at the next one

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

mikeycp posted:

they're working on one, but also the last line of the movie was about this being just 1 of 200 such cases after which he gets on his vespa to go at the next one

Oh right, and he puts his shades on as he zooms into the distance

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
How come there are no female fishmen?
I've googled and seen there ARE some, so what's going on there? Just felt a weird choice.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The Arlong pirates is just a boys' club I guess. The original Japanese term for 'fishman' isn't gendered incidentally.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Yup, plenty of female fishpeople later. For whatever reason just none in that particular pirate crew.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Please be an extra episode

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

deleted scene where Sanji does the "Waiter, there's a fly in my soup" joke

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

mikeycp posted:

Logue Town and Smoker please :pray:

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.

mikeycp posted:

That's been my hope as well. The fact they only shot the Smoker teaser in March of this year or whatever, leads me to think that's not the case. But then, maybe they shot it late after they decided to split the release into 8+1? Who knows. Loguetown being moved to next season didn't make sense, and being excised totally would suck.

It's either the extra episode or the official renewal with the cast announcing it or something.

Sandman's extra episode was two weeks after the first eight released, so the timing is right.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

There were those reports of scenes with Dragon being filmed but not part of the season... interesting.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
https://twitter.com/onepiecenetflix/status/1702411899806392613?s=20

Season 2 Renewal, yay.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

There were those reports of scenes with Dragon being filmed but not part of the season... interesting.

You at least have Dragon in the beginning. He's the guy in the green hood.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
And not that there was any doubt, but Chopper is indeed gonna be in Season 2. (yes, the pacing would be weird as hell if this weren’t the case)

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

chop per mup pet clap clap clapclapclap

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

rip to the inbox of jamie lee curtis or her management for the next year or so.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

CatstropheWaitress posted:

rip to the inbox of jamie lee curtis or her management for the next year or so.

Hey, she’s brought it up more than once, so it’s weirdly a distinct possibility. Could definitely see her in that role. Just comes down to Netflix paying her/Jamie Lee Curtis being willing to work for less than what I’m sure is her usual rate.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

ワンピースは実在する

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

cant wait to see the cgi monstrosity we get for chopper :letsgo:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Give us the muppet, Oda!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU