Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Heyyy that rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Wtf, a success story? What do we even do with this nonsense now

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Sub Rosa posted:

No one said I was hosed, they just said they didn't do it.

So, uh, this worked. They are going to buy it back.

congrats!!

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

It is a remarkable weight lifted

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Given how many car dealerships seem to operate on the model of "cause the most amount of pain possible", I'm legitimately shocked. That's a hell of a win.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Given how many car dealerships seem to operate on the model of "cause the most amount of pain possible", I'm legitimately shocked. That's a hell of a win.

The dealer will now have an opportunity to sell it on again to someone who will lose control of the rust bucket and careen into a second, innocent car.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Sub Rosa posted:

Holy poo poo. Congrats!

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Sub Rosa posted:

Market must’ve gotten a little better since you bought it.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

yeah part of it is, the used car market is still insane right now, super inflated, so the dealer probably figures they can get rid of it. Or if they're slightly more ethical, maybe they'd just rather not go on record as being sued for selling lemons. Or maybe you just lucked out and found the one guy in the industry who has a conscience.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Devor posted:

The dealer will now have an opportunity to sell it on again to someone who will lose control of the rust bucket and careen into a second, innocent car.

Possibly that, probably they dump it back on the auctions (so some other dealer can gently caress someone else with it).

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

IOwnCalculus posted:

Seriously. I'm shocked that they didn't reply with blowing a raspberry into the mic.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

IOwnCalculus posted:

None of that helps you. Rust is not an "occurrence",

Rust no longer "occurs" to things???

Edit: lol haha I win

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

blarzgh posted:

Rust no longer "occurs" to things???

Edit: lol haha I win

That damage form is for disclosing things that happened to the car in a single event that should result in a branded title - a tree fell on it, it was flooded, it was crashed. A car that didn't have road salt washed off in the winters and rotted away over 15 years is considered normal wear and tear for some areas, and wouldn't be a branded title event until someone decides to take it to a junkyard to be crushed.

To be perfectly clear, car dealers have carved out such wide leeway in the laws that apply to them that they can legally sell poo poo like this with a straight face. They're allowed to tell you whatever the gently caress they want verbally and then hand you a contract that says anything they verbally told you was an unenforcable lie and this is just considered "normal". They are the absolute dregs of society and they're so loving influential on local politics that nobody sees fit to actually fix this.

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Sep 8, 2023

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Have any of you heard of TurnSignl?

It's supposed to be an app that puts you on a live video call with a traffic attorney when you get pulled over. I've had friends reach out to me and ask if they're legit but I haven't heard of them till this week.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Soylent Pudding posted:

It's supposed to be an app that puts you on a live video call with a traffic attorney when you get pulled over. I've had friends reach out to me and ask if they're legit but I haven't heard of them till this week.

I have not, but LoL

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

One thing life has taught me is that it's no problem at all to get a real lawyer on the phone - literally in an instant - ready, willing, and able to help.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I probably should have listened to my instincts and gotten a new PI lawyer like 18 months ago.

bird with big dick fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Sep 14, 2023

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

bird with big dick posted:

Defendant's new attorney is because the old one retired, emphasis on old that mofo was like 80.

Still don't have a trial date but should know soon, court records show that the motion for reinstatement has happened and "trial date to be set." After that there's an entry that says "Notice-Compliance" not sure what that means but assume its not important.

BK Trustee has filed a motion to convert the debtor from chapter 13 to 7. This will be good news for me I think because I believe he'll lose all control over his assets and then we just wait for getting a good judgment (hopefully) and let the liquidation commence. If the BK gets dismissed (which I assume his attorney is going to argue for because it seems it would be better for him than immediately going to chapter 7) I'm not sure exactly what will happen other than I'm sure he'll immediately spend the hundreds of thousands of cash he has. Worried that he'll refile for one chapter or another on the eve of the trial and delay things again. I'm sure he would ultimately be unsuccessful but any delay at all is going to screw me because I have to drive 13 hours to the trial location. Lawyer would have to be a complete scumbag to do this though given his two failed BKs so far and maybe there'd be some sort of automatic rejection given the two recent BK attempts & failures?

Trustee's motion includes the phrases "debtor is causing an unreasonably delay prejudicial to creditors" and talks about the debtors records not being accurate and "not filed in good faith" and "debtors have misrepresented information" and "failed to disclose all assets" I assume the judge will love that stuff when he rules on the trustee's motion a month from now.

My BK attorney says we could pay to file our own motion or adjoining the existing motion to try and make sure it converts to chapter 7 but says he doesn't think its necessary since the trustee is already recommending it and I'm pretty sure the judge knows we want it converted to chapter 7.

We won this and the conversion to chapter 7 happened.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

SlapActionJackson posted:

One thing life has taught me is that it's no problem at all to get a real lawyer on the phone - literally in an instant - ready, willing, and able to help.

With a high enough per minute fee I am sure it is possible to arrange an instant phone call, just dial 1-900-LEGALHOTTIES

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Soylent Pudding posted:

That sounds like a great way to make a traffic stop extra spicy.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

if silicon valley techbros want to "disrupt" every human interaction, it's about time they disrupted the tense, fraught encounters between the public and the police imo. what could possibly go wrong

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

bird with big dick posted:

We won this and the conversion to chapter 7 happened.

Congrats!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Leperflesh posted:

if silicon valley techbros want to "disrupt" every human interaction, it's about time they disrupted the tense, fraught encounters between the public and the police imo. what could possibly go wrong

TBH I do think it's a legit idea, IF you know you can actually get lawyers on the horn in under a minute for a video call.

And if the cops don't just beat the poo poo out of the guy or shoot him because his phone is somehow a deadly weapon. But at least his corpse will have any charges dismissed!

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
What advice would a lawyer have for a traffic stop except “shut the gently caress up and give him your license and registration” anyway?

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

FrozenVent posted:

What advice would a lawyer have for a traffic stop except “shut the gently caress up and give him your license and registration” anyway?

Yeah, I'm not sure what legal advice there is to give. As far as I understand it as a layman, the time to argue is at court. During a traffic stop, the universal advice is going to be, 'do what's requested of you. Answer questions reasonably. Don't say poo poo otherwise'.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Yeah, I'm not sure what legal advice there is to give. As far as I understand it as a layman, the time to argue is at court. During a traffic stop, the universal advice is going to be, 'do what's requested of you. Answer questions reasonably. Don't say poo poo otherwise'.

It's just an audio stream of this video on repeat :

https://youtu.be/V6tfEZI54Jg?si=BEX-rfmhk0aWW8i4

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
"Do you know why I pulled you over?"

" Because I was _______."

" Thanks. Now that I got you on video admitting you were doing what I pulled you over for, or even for something else I didn't know about, we won't have any trouble getting a conviction later."

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Might help people who can’t shut the gently caress up when they’re nervous to have someone there guiding them through the experience

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I'm curious if there's a mechanism for registering a creative work in the public domain?
Would that possibly be a step to help prevent copyright trolls asserting copyright over a work?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

B33rChiller posted:

I'm curious if there's a mechanism for registering a creative work in the public domain?
Would that possibly be a step to help prevent copyright trolls asserting copyright over a work?

You mean.... a copyright?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

B33rChiller posted:

That's called a copyleft https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyleft

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
I can’t find the video now but my favorite traffic cop video was one where after the prosecutor had rested, the defense moved for a directed verdict because the prosecutor had failed to elicit testimony establishing the identity of the defendant as the person pulled over in the dash cam, and the video they played in court didn’t have any audio of the person saying their name.

We could see in the video that he took the license and ran it, and that’s how they got here. But very funny watching the prosecutor flail around. Judge granted the directed verdict.

Anyone have something similar where an opponent hosed something up that immediately lost for them?

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It's just an audio stream of this video on repeat :

https://youtu.be/V6tfEZI54Jg?si=BEX-rfmhk0aWW8i4

What does pleading the 5th during a traffic stop do?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Devor posted:

I can’t find the video now but my favorite traffic cop video was one where after the prosecutor had rested, the defense moved for a directed verdict because the prosecutor had failed to elicit testimony establishing the identity of the defendant as the person pulled over in the dash cam, and the video they played in court didn’t have any audio of the person saying their name.

We could see in the video that he took the license and ran it, and that’s how they got here. But very funny watching the prosecutor flail around. Judge granted the directed verdict.

Anyone have something similar where an opponent hosed something up that immediately lost for them?

I've posted this story before, but it was my first (and so far only) jury trial case:

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Hilarious case. Driver was doing like seventy down a city street before he airplaned and slammed into a tree; miraculously he's unhurt, gets out of the car. Cops arrest him on scene, charged reckless driving and failure to stop, driving without a license.

He misses all his court dates. They issue a bench warrant for him on the general sessions failure to stop charge but the city court prosecutor decides to have a trial in absentia just to get it off his list.

I spot the issue (maybe you have too!) and we play it cool. Generic opening about reasonable doubt. Let the prosecutor make his case. On cross, we ask the officer "so, people sometimes give you fake names, right" "yes, that does happen sometimes." Turns out the police cars in this town don't have any computers in them to verify things. And of course since it's a TIA there's no way for the cop to point at the dude and go "yeah, that's the guy I arrested."

Jury was out for five hours.

So far I have a 100% win rate in jury trials

Prosecutor told us afterwards he'd never lost TIA trial before. He retired a few months later.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
My one experience in traffic court is the judge letting the prosecutor take time to figure out if they could charge me with something else since the ticketed offense didn’t apply on private property

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

B33rChiller posted:

Registering a work in the public domain as in, taking a work that’s already public domain and registering it? Or as in registering it as belonging to the public domain?

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Kalman posted:

Registering a work in the public domain as in, taking a work that’s already public domain and registering it? Or as in registering it as belonging to the public domain?
Sorry, I was unclear.
I meant to register a work as being public domain.
Things like Cc licensing still retain rights and attach conditions.
I was thinking having something registered as being public domain could help prevent some other jerk coming along g and claiming rights over a work, and suing other folks that have used it.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Azuth0667 posted:

What does pleading the 5th during a traffic stop do?

I think it’s just one avenue of shutting the gently caress up.

CheaperThanTwitter
Jul 3, 2023
Part of why the CC licenses or MIT license exist (copycenter) licenses is because the concept of public domain isn't universal. Using licenses that approximate it effects the same result.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

B33rChiller posted:

Sorry, I was unclear.
I meant to register a work as being public domain.
Things like Cc licensing still retain rights and attach conditions.
I was thinking having something registered as being public domain could help prevent some other jerk coming along g and claiming rights over a work, and suing other folks that have used it.

You can’t register something as public domain - public domain literally means that it isn’t registered or registrable by anyone. Copyleft is the closest answer, where you register something and freely license your rights, but that’s not the same. (Assuming a totally open license like the CC0 license.) And it doesn’t carry any benefit in a “don’t let others register” sense because it’s not any stronger against a copyright than the original public domain work is.

It’s even hard (in practice) to abandon a registered copyright. (See Fagundes and Perzanowski.)

More practically, you’re asking how to prevent people from abusing lawsuits and that’s a non-trivial problem to solve.