Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

RBA Starblade posted:

VOG flawless seems like it 100% comes down to someone not paying attention at the Gorgons and how resistant to trying to just speed through it everyone gets on rounds two through eight after that

I accidentally flawlessed VOG twice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Horsebanger posted:

The emblem is more of the thing I care about, I just pick whichever tryhard pve emblem I like at the time. CE challenge one at the moment.

I usually put on the emblem for whatever the current raid is so whatever lfg team I'm joining knows I have at least some idea what I'm doing.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
https://www.bungie.net/7/en/News/article/twid_09_14_2023

- Legendary Shards are being deprecated in The Final Shape. There will be no currency exchange available for them. They just go poof. Costs for every item in the game will generally follow a rule where they cost the exact same they did before just minus the Legendary Shard part.
- Crota’s End will now drop one guaranteed Essence of the Oversoul for killing Crota and another guaranteed one for doing all the raid encounters that week. In addition, a small random chance will grant you all the Essence needed to get Necrochasm (it is not clear if this also applies to the catalyst quest.)
- A smattering of previews of upcoming sandbox changes including Antaeus awards needing full class ability energy to work and depleting it upon a successful reflection, and Young Ahamkara’s Spine only granting grenade energy upon final blow instead of just any hit.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

So what do you get for purple engrams? The game's primary reward gives you... Nothing?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Bobby Deluxe posted:

So what do you get for purple engrams? The game's primary reward gives you... Nothing?
you get the gun they turn into?

But yes, it basically shards into nothing, (maybe more glimmer then before?) but if everything no longer costs shards, then the net effect is the same.

Like, currently I'm not smashing guns for shards, im smashing them to make space.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Bumping the oversoul drops while also adding back to low chance to outright get the gun owns.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I think the quest is cool but there should also be a chance to get it on the very first clear because it’s always funny as hell when someone gets Sherpa through a raid and gets the exotic while people grinding weekly get to be mad at then.

Hell they could straight up keep the random chance in place since the catalyst is what the real grind is for.

quote:

IMPROVING DROPS FOR ESSENCES

Essences of the Oversoul are needed to complete the Necrochasm quest and its catalyst. We have heard your feedback regarding their drop rate, and we are making some improvements when Update 7.2.0.4 arrives on September 19.

For starters, your first full clear of Crota's End each week will now provide two guaranteed Essences of the Oversoul: the guaranteed weekly drop from defeating Crota and an additional guaranteed drop for beating each encounter in order from start to finish.

Then, every time you do a full clear, you'll still earn that additional guaranteed Essence, so there's now a way to farm them. We are also increasing the drop rate of random Essence of the Oversoul for repeated clears of each encounter, so you can earn even more per try.

Finally, we are adding a chance to strike it lucky and earn all of the Essence necessary to complete both the Necrochasm quest and the catalyst when taking Crota down during a full run. Just like getting the Exotic to drop in previous raids, you can now get the whole deal if fortune smiles.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah, it's a pretty cool change and Im almost surprised they made it/made it so quickly. Hope future raid and dungeon exotics maybe follow a similar pattern. Nice to know even if you might not be lucky, you'll still have it in 10 or fewer runs.

Aqua Dracula
Nov 2, 2012
Extremely funny to me that after years of begging Bungie to focus on PvP, when given their shot the community just begs for a nerf to a single exotic.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Oxyclean posted:

Yeah, it's a pretty cool change and Im almost surprised they made it/made it so quickly. Hope future raid and dungeon exotics maybe follow a similar pattern. Nice to know even if you might not be lucky, you'll still have it in 10 or fewer runs.

In scenarios like this I always assume this was always their plan, but they started with the drop rate low for some reason.

Maybe to make sure the gun wouldn't break the meta or something? I dunno.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Tribute mode is an extraction shooter heh

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Guess I'll continue not using Antaeus Wards lol

Skullfort stays winning

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010

quote:

Synthoceps
We are removing the extra lunge range.
To compensate, we are adding improved weapon handling and reload speed when you're surrounded.
We are also walking back some of the nerf to Glaive melee damage as well.

As if anyone wearing Synthoceps gave a hoot about their guns.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

haveblue posted:

Tribute mode is an extraction shooter heh

The PvP strike team really is the Marathon team :tinfoil:

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Pioneer42 posted:

As if anyone wearing Synthoceps gave a hoot about their guns.

Guns? Do they mean the stabbings I do with Monte Carlo?

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<
I mean, isn’t shooting just stabbing a bunch, makes you think.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

With no legendary shards, how will they work stuff like the weekly orange golf ball from master whose-his-face?

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Lord Packinham posted:

I mean, isn’t shooting just stabbing a bunch, makes you think.

:hmmyes:

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Aqua Dracula posted:

Extremely funny to me that after years of begging Bungie to focus on PvP, when given their shot the community just begs for a nerf to a single exotic.

PvP players are stupid, I’m afraid

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

smallmouth posted:

With no legendary shards, how will they work stuff like the weekly orange golf ball from master whose-his-face?

Probably changed to a combination of glimmer and cores and maybe more expensive resources. You can already buy ascendant shards for just glimmer and piss crystals

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

PvP players are stupid, I’m afraid

as has always been the case.

Simultaneously want bungie to give love and attention to PVP, while also opposing any changes (SBMM) that might actually make casuals want to play pvp, and make investments into PVP more worthwhile.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

smallmouth posted:

I guess I should go buy those now

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Lol at nerfing fusions again

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

smallmouth posted:

The TWID mentions that Xur will be seeking “alternative means” for purchases, and Blackburn mentioned an upcoming rework to Xur and Strange Coins in his sort-of-apology-for-the-SotG video. I’m speculating they’re going to want you to earn Strange Coins through DoE (and possibly other means on top) to trade with him.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
What's with the hostility toward PvP Enjoyers? They're the same as PvE-Only Players, but with additional proficiencies that allow them to excel at both halves of the game.

Destiny 2 is a small enough community that it's pointless, maybe even unwise, to be mad at 84% of its members, just for existing. May as well all get along!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

PVP balancing trickling back to PVE has felt bad every time it’s happened, mainly, if I had to take a guess. They’re getting better about it (making specific pvp and pve only changes) but this wasn’t always the case.

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
PvP is miserable for me in any game because I’ve never had the instincts or reflexes for it, and the feeling of accomplishment when it DOES go well is never enough for me to want to improve.

The only game that ever really got me to enjoy PVP was Overwatch during its first 5 years or so. Because it wasn’t just shoot mans or defend circle… something about the roles in the game made it feel more like puzzle solving to counter other players strategies.

D2s PvP feels like any other game to me and I don’t understand the appeal. Class abilities don’t really seem to matter very much in the grand scheme of things when I’ve played (granted, if youre gud it probably does).

I don’t play games to meet people online. Part of that is the sweatys I encountered in every PvP game I ever played.

Last - I like Destiny for the plot. I wanna see spacemans and hokey sci-fi and philosophy. I want to crawl around in spooky ships and robot gardens. PvP arenas can have the aesthetic, but it’s just set dressing, because there’s nothing happening. Even repetitive modes - like strikes or grinding the nightfalls - at least I can think about what that means in the grand scheme of the game or story if I want.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I didn't play much D1, but for D2's lifespan they've generally treated them as separate sandboxes. Check this TWAB from year 1! That baby was sliced clean down the middle.

https://www.bungie.net/en/News/Article/46677

This could be controversial but I think a lot/most/all of the 'examples' of a pvp balance affecting pve are not accurate. I'd be hard-pressed to find one, to be quite honest.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
Big ones off the top of my head are Renewal Grasps and Mask of Bakris

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

What's with the hostility toward PvP Enjoyers? They're the same as PvE-Only Players, but with additional proficiencies that allow them to excel at both halves of the game.

Destiny 2 is a small enough community that it's pointless, maybe even unwise, to be mad at 84% of its members, just for existing. May as well all get along!

My most perfect form of Destiny is one where PvP doesn't exist so that I don't have to interact with PvP enjoyers to do stuff like acquire weapons, finish seasonal challenges, quests, catalysts, etc. All of the PvP enjoyers get in the way of this by continuing to exist, so, I think they should all go gently caress themselves.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
losing the one good stasis hunter build because of pvp sucked big time, yeah

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
also methamphetically shoulder charging to move around was fun

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Hunter dodge got nuked not too long ago because of PVP (justifying it as a base cooldown change) and I think roaming supers got tuned in such a way to prevent them from being oppressive in PVP (while making them garbage in PVE)

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

PvP mains are so used to CoD that they’re often the ones getting het up, they’re the ones who send the most hate mail and death threats, and they take poo poo way too fuckin seriously.

PvP is fun until PvP mains get what they want, at which point it turns into a chore or a bore depending. if things ran a little more Smash Brothers and we stuck to silly modes like Mayhem or Rift or Countdown outside of comp and Trials it would be a non-issue, but there’s a loud majority of people who only want to pub-stomp instead of make Crucible more palatable. that means fewer players, which means less dev time, which leads to more death threats lol

vicious cycle. they need to just be normal

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
forget it kid. it's pvetown

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
The patch notes for Renewal Grasp literally had PvE/PvP-specific tweaks in it though!

Outgoing damage penalty applied to Player victims reduced from 50% to 20%.
Damage unchanged vs. PvE targets.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Not to poopoo on PvP too much, but I feel like (emphasis on "feel") things more often than not get disabled or nerfed because of PvP shenanigans.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Mesadoram posted:

Not to poopoo on PvP too much, but I feel like (emphasis on "feel") things more often than not get disabled or nerfed because of PvP shenanigans.

Pyrogale, an exotic that exists 100% for PvE, is disabled for two weeks because of some fucky interaction in a twice-per-season PvP mode. :laffo:

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

the entire appeal of a game with both is that you can leverage the same power set and weapons differently for whatever playstyle you prefer, so that’s cool. I like that we have PvP and I’m happy a lot of people love it. but also, PvP should be less of a focus and should have less new poo poo, because human Players are unpredictable in a way Environment can never be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

MJeff posted:

Pyrogale, an exotic that exists 100% for PvE, is disabled for two weeks because of some fucky interaction in a twice-per-season PvP mode. :laffo:

Oh man, you owe it to yourself to find out why it is disabled. It allowed you to permanently deactivate monster closets in Dungeons and Raids so that no adds would spawn :laugh: