Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How do you feel about the letter C?
Despise it.
Loathe it.
Hate it.
Ed Boon's parents were killed by the letter C section of a library and I personally, will not stand for this.
View Results

theBeaz
Jul 11, 2006

faantastic posted:

How is PC performance at early release?

Steam version - AMD 5800X3D + 3090. Playing at 4K. High settings (there are a couple settings I could probably push higher but haven't yet).

Pro:
Fights are smooth, locked at 60, and look amazing in HDR on my LGC2.

Cons:
Stutter every 2 seconds during all cinematics (widely reported). Luckily it's just a video hitch and not an audio stutter as well. It's just very annoying.
X-ray moves are 30fps.
Menus are 30fps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Lol megan fox’s line delivery is terrible haha.

Holy gently caress you're not kidding. Everyone else is a voice actor and doing a character voice, and she's just... Megan Fox. I thought it would at least be better than Ronda Rousey, but it's just as bad. Maybe even worse, since Megan Fox can act but is simply choosing not to.

Has there ever been stunt casting in a game that was actually good?

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Jamesman posted:

Holy gently caress you're not kidding. Everyone else is a voice actor and doing a character voice, and she's just... Megan Fox. I thought it would at least be better than Ronda Rousey, but it's just as bad. Maybe even worse, since Megan Fox can act but is simply choosing not to.

And yet…she sounds ok in her ending slides.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

faantastic posted:

How is PC performance at early release?

Excellent so far, though I haven't tried anything beyond training mode. Smooth 4k60 with everything maxed out on a 3080. Both FSR2 and DLSS are supported, thankfully. Game looks amazing in HDR.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Jamesman posted:

Robert Englund as Scarecrow in Injustice 2.

theBeaz
Jul 11, 2006

Mr. Neutron posted:

Excellent so far, though I haven't tried anything beyond training mode. Smooth 4k60 with everything maxed out on a 3080. Both FSR2 and DLSS are supported, thankfully. Game looks amazing in HDR.

You don't have stutters every 2-3 seconds during cinematics? That is, opening intro and Kampaign mode?

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

How is the game premium pre-oderers?

Watching Max play Smoke and do insane poo poo is making me REALLY want to possibly break and get the early start premium version, game looks sick

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Sep 14, 2023

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

TulliusCicero posted:

Watching Max play Smoke and do insane poo poo is making me REALLY want to possibly break and get the early start premium version, game looks sick

I am very bad at fighting games but I am having a lot of fun in story mode so far, haven't tried anything else.

Game is very good looking and all the characters I've played have been enjoyable, I think it's the first MK story mode where I haven't felt like a certain character was a slog. It's a bit weird though because you play various characters before they get any of their powers .

The test your might bits are mildly annoying as you have to mash face buttons then hit R2, so you can't use all your fingers very easily. Luckily I have an edge controller so I put R2 on left paddle and that was so much easier.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Liu Kang really hose'd Johnny Cage in his era.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!

Jamesman posted:

Keith David and Peter Weller were both really good in MK11.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Watching Max play storymode please god give me Black Dragon Kano/ Sonya and Harumi Scorpion as this universe's netherealm wraith, holy poo poo what fun ideas :swoon:

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

theBeaz posted:

You don't have stutters every 2-3 seconds during cinematics? That is, opening intro and Kampaign mode?

Haven't tried the story yet but no, intro was smooth.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you
the parade of alternate timeline jobbers and losers showing up in the final chapter had me crying laughing, I fully expect every single one of those idiots to show up in the next release of MK New Era or whatever that mugen nonsense is

Matt McMuscles must be having a stroke right now

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

come back here

TulliusCicero posted:

As a not too serious about Mortal Kombat fighting game nerd, this one already feels way more fun than mk11 ever did to me. The kameo system is extremely enjoyable. I may actually go online and try to git gud at an Nrs game for once in my life.

I never played any of the old 3d era games, so I had zero expectations or interest in any of the characters from those going into this. Ashrah is already becoming one of my favorite Mortal Kombat characters I've ever tried. I think she benefits from kameos with long lasting assists to let her change stances safely, and that's inspiring me to figure out how to unlock the other assists and try those out with her. It's a neat system.

Gonna try the singleplayer content later tonight. And again, I'm an Nrs game scrub, so take my opinions with a grain of exploding time sand.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
If i had the money to spare and the computer to run it well i’d seriously buy it just for Havik,alas.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Why can't Liu Kang just torch all the statues? Scorpion did that and he's just a little guy

theBeaz
Jul 11, 2006

Mr. Neutron posted:

Haven't tried the story yet but no, intro was smooth.

Great! Well if you have an Nvidia card and encounter it later - setting your GPU Power Management to Max Performance (globally or just for MK) helps mask the issue.

Thread with more reports here if anyone else has the issue: https://reddit.com/r/MortalKombat/s/lLjihU9udw

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

exquisite tea posted:

All the fatalities canonically happen, the world of MK just has really good surgeons who stitch them back together after each match good as new.

Ah, Samurai Shodown again. The refs have resurrection magic.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Smoke and Nitara were the most worthless inclusions in this game, goddamn they don't even have poo poo to do in the story mode and talk maybe 3 times each LOL. I at least understand Ronda voicing Sonya through a lot of story poo poo but Megan Fox literally got nothing. So on top of looking stupid they have combined less screentime than Tanya.

In terms of gear I have no idea why you only get one costume slot as opposed to 4 different costume slots, seems like such a basic-rear end thing to have but this game doesn't have it? You just change your look in the Kustom menu and that's it, that's the only one. What the gently caress lol

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Is the ending of the story mode always the same?

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Malcolm Excellent posted:

my understanding is the final sequence is randomized to a degree. I have seen screenshots of characters there that I didn't see when I did it.

Also random aside here's like, the signature video series I do I guess, hope it helps!?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGIazIb_zjw

MK1 gameplay is really cool, video is actually already out of date cause day 1 patch majorly buffed Tanya lol.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I have a tournament next weekend that begs my focus and attention so I'm waiting til after that to buy. Pending reports itt.

Does the game just use your steam name for online play?

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.

theBeaz posted:

Great! Well if you have an Nvidia card and encounter it later - setting your GPU Power Management to Max Performance (globally or just for MK) helps mask the issue.

Thread with more reports here if anyone else has the issue: https://reddit.com/r/MortalKombat/s/lLjihU9udw

This fixes some cutscenes for me but others are still visibly stuttering, I might just put this on the shelf and come back later :(

theBeaz
Jul 11, 2006

ghostinmyshell posted:

This fixes some cutscenes for me but others are still visibly stuttering, I might just put this on the shelf and come back later :(

Do you have a FPS counter enabled (steam overlay one works fine) to measure the dip? I was dipping from 120 to 104 and it was painful. The power tweak made it 120-114. Then I set (in Nvidia CP) my frame cap to 60. So now I see it drop from 60 to 57… not much of an improvement but almost imperceptible.

Maybe give the frame cap a shot - especially if you’re running on a monitor with a refresh even higher than 120, maybe the relative dip is making the stutter worse?

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

no you get different jobbers and losers every time, I hope they make some weird party mode where you just get access to these randomized weirdos. I have a feeling there's a LOT of them too because I got two distinct versions of kung lao and scorpion mushed together back to back

honestly I don't think I've laughed harder at a video game than seeing a mashup of Baraka and Johnny Cage show up

The story mode as a whole was a tad disappointing with some characters disappearing out of the narrative or just flatout barely being present but fighting through a pyramid of MUGEN characters salvaged the whole thing for me

Orv
May 4, 2011
Absolutely killing me that they gave Baraka his own chapter finally and half of his fights are just him beating up other terminally ill people. And a door.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I might get booed out of the thread for this but, does this just feel bad to play to anyone else? I remember 11 feeling a lot more fluid. I’m not talking about the overall speed, I’m talking about how everything feels so loving stiff. I’m just not a fan so far.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

Probably just you because 11 is maybe the stiffest, worst feeling modern fighting game I've ever played

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Smoke seems like a normal dude that is also a ninja in a lot of his match intros

Orv
May 4, 2011

Smoke seems like a normal dude that is also a ninja in a lot of his match intros

According to story mode he is exactly that. Just some dude named Tomas the Lin Kuei took in.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
I have to say these the graphics at times make me thinking I'm watching an actual lovely live action bmovie at times.

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost
Halfway through the story so far and this game loving rules :hellyeah:

It's gonna take me a LONG time to learn kombos with all this air-kombo poo poo but I'm looking forward to being functional enough to play online. I do notice that uppercuts are basically worthless as kombo enders now (good!), which means I have to actually show some finesse instead of my MK11 tactic of doing a single pop-up string + D2 for no-effort 26%

Baraka is sick. Sub has a great knockup. Reptile has the potential to be nuts but I can't keep up with all of his kombo extenders.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
Up here in Chicago, my team just won a video game trivia night at a local bar hosted by someone working on MK. I took advantage to talk to an art director who’s been working on the games for 30 years. Cool dude, I asked about using reference material to get all the gore right and how that affects people but he mostly demurred about it, and we had a good conversation. Apparently they do a board game day every 4 months or so and it sounds like Covid changed things up quite a bit.

Thanks to 20 years on thus forum I ended up the mvp of my team and when we won I went to the microphone and quietly said: I’ve wasted my life. Pretty cool overall, we all won a copy of the new game!

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

ghostinmyshell posted:

I have to say these the graphics at times make me thinking I'm watching an actual lovely live action bmovie at times.

The materials work in this game is incredible. Wood, stone, rusty chains - all of it looks exactly like it should. I spend a lot of my time watching streams just looking at backgrounds because they're gorgeous.

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

Jamesman posted:

I said "Holy poo poo" out loud the first time she spoke

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

ghostinmyshell posted:

The faces and talking motions are better than a lot of games that you'd think would be more focused on that sort of thing than a fighting game.

Doc Walrus posted:

I said "Holy poo poo" out loud the first time she spoke

Yeah, she did not get the message that everyone else in the cast would be hamming it up to the max. She sounds way out of place.

Orv
May 4, 2011

PostNouveau posted:

The faces and talking motions are better than a lot of games that you'd think would be more focused on that sort of thing than a fighting game.

Shang Tsung's smug smirk is so goddamn good. And the voice actor is doing a really solid young Cary too.

E: Lmao, ending stuff; Liu Kano :allears:

Orv fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Sep 15, 2023

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
I pre ordered the game off of Amazon, does anyone know how you get the code for Shang Tsung?

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID
reiko in every game where he appears

https://twitter.com/dril/status/432616623225049088

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

polish sausage
Oct 26, 2010
Planning to watch the story on saturday but i had a blast playing local vs today. All the characters feel like they have that fujin aftermath glow up. The strings are so drat fluid.