Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
I can't even remember the name of the column at this point, but the one that had debunking or confirming comics industry urban legends was appointment reading for me. The sure just got unreadable, even with ad block.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

It's a little incredible that one of the least problematic and informative blogs at this point is Bleeding Cool. Not that it doesn't still suck but it feels like the majority of the landscape sucks so much more at this point.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Dreqqus posted:

I can't even remember the name of the column at this point, but the one that had debunking or confirming comics industry urban legends was appointment reading for me. The sure just got unreadable, even with ad block.

Sounds familiar, was it Comic Book Urban Legends Revealed?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

RevKrule posted:

It's a little incredible that one of the least problematic and informative blogs at this point is Bleeding Cool. Not that it doesn't still suck but it feels like the majority of the landscape sucks so much more at this point.

Yeah. You can't visit there without an ad blocker but it's actually not bad with content now

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!

That's it!

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

I liked that a lot too. I would bet there's someone on YouTube doing something similar, though.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Honestly, it's one of the few reasons I stuck with CBR as long as I have, but the rest of the site's been almost entirely clickbait for ages. AIPT seems pretty good.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

I check CBR every now and then purely thanks to muscle memory, and it's mind-boggling the type of content you find there now. Why are they giving space to a plain-jane lawyer show on the Oprah Network? Why is it the responsibility of another TV show to "correct the mistakes" of an unrelated movie? I swear I've seen more articles about Chicago Fire on their front page in the past year than anything put out by Image or IDW.

It's the SDCC thing in website form, just pretending anything on TV or at the movies is automatically "nerd" material.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
San Diego Comic Con will be interesting next year since there probably won't be anything concrete about movies or TV shows based on comics that aren't already mostly done now, with the strikes

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Erik Larsen used to have a column on the cbr website and it looks like it’s been completely scrubbed from their website.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

ruddiger posted:

Erik Larsen used to have a column on the cbr website and it looks like it’s been completely scrubbed from their website.

Wait, Savage Dragon creator and Image founder Erik Larsen? And they got rid of his columns?

I get a website being destroyed by doing dumb click bait poo poo because men in suits are like "this is how we monetize" but why would you get rid of existing decent content. Cracked.com loving sucks now, but they didn't delete After Hours from their archives.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
Why is Brian Cronen still there, anyhow? Is he part of the management or do they keep his soul in a jar somewhere?

I think the articles he's done recently are coherent enough to rule out 'sold the rights to his byline and nane then was replaced by interns and AI'

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Air Skwirl posted:

San Diego Comic Con will be interesting next year since there probably won't be anything concrete about movies or TV shows based on comics that aren't already mostly done now, with the strikes

Hell, the way studios are negotiating by dropping crumbs and berating the strikers for not being grateful for them, the strikes might still be ongoing for the next SDCC.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Air Skwirl posted:

This year was pretty interesting on its own since it started like 4 days after the SAG/AFTRA strike started so it had no writers or actors for panels. Studios didn't even bother bringing even sizzle reels for the most part because of it.

But like was previously said, it's mostly a studio chum bucket at this point. I think movies are seeing less action but they'll try and sell any scripted show they possibly can at this point, especially if you get even a single actor that appeared prominently in a genre role previously.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

Hell, the way studios are negotiating by dropping crumbs and berating the strikers for not being grateful for them, the strikes might still be ongoing for the next SDCC.

If they don't come to a deal by September or so my understanding is the major studios will be properly hosed because they won't have any new content.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Air Skwirl posted:

If they don't come to a deal by September or so my understanding is the major studios will be properly hosed because they won't have any new content.

I would be amazed of a deal could be reached by September at this point. The studios are unwilling to engage in any kind of actual negotiation.

I don't have any skin in the game beyond looking at how streaming services have been disastrous for writers and actors pay and thinking, "Yeah, that has to be fixed."

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

I would be amazed of a deal could be reached by September at this point. The studios are unwilling to engage in any kind of actual negotiation.

I don't have any skin in the game beyond looking at how streaming services have been disastrous for writers and actors pay and thinking, "Yeah, that has to be fixed."

I want the actors and writers to take them for every loving penny they can and am willing to not have new TV shows for a few months, a year, or whatever for them to get it.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Air Skwirl posted:

I want the actors and writers to take them for every loving penny they can and am willing to not have new TV shows for a few months, a year, or whatever for them to get it.

If the studios break instead of the writers and actors I will not be shedding any tears. They'll have deserved it and dug their own graves. But I want the people that they're hurting to be okay, too, and the best way that can happen is for the studios to accept all of the extremely reasonable requests from the unions (in fact, I'd be demanding more since it's clear that the studios need independent auditing and oversight with regard to residuals).

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
The whole system is such a corrupt, duplicitous shitshow that I’m content to see it all come crashing down. We all heard the stories about how much bullshit Hollywood accounting is but that dude from a few years back saying he’s still not gotten anything from MiB 1 because it’s ‘not profitable’ yet even though they’re still making more entries in this ‘failed’ franchise decades later really hammered it home.

Burn it all down, drag these bastards into the sunlight and watch them evaporate.

Lucifunk
Nov 11, 2005

I know nothing about how that industry actually works, but does the strike apply to anything made wholly outside the US like Canadian or British work?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Lucifunk posted:

I know nothing about how that industry actually works, but does the strike apply to anything made wholly outside the US like Canadian or British work?

House of the Dragon is still filming because the actors are part of the British union and not SAG AFTRA.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

The UK actors' union is Equity, which is not on strike and there is no restriction on their working or promoting their work. Pleasingly I've heard a few interviews with actors from British productions recently where they've taken a moment to explain this distinction and voice solidarity with SAG members / promote the strike fund

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Party Boat posted:

The UK actors' union is Equity, which is not on strike and there is no restriction on their working or promoting their work. Pleasingly I've heard a few interviews with actors from British productions recently where they've taken a moment to explain this distinction and voice solidarity with SAG members / promote the strike fund

To be precise: Equity are not permitted to sympathy strike alongside SAG/AFTRA, but members are permitted to express solidarity as individuals as long as they do not themselves down tools.

Another thing worth noting is that UK magazines publishing interviews with SAG members are stressing that the interviews were conducted before the strike began. So they're also helping out by reminding people that the strike is on and stating that the people they spoke to did not scab.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I haven't heard of Canada having a separate union from the US, I've just heard of US projects filming in Vancouver. I wouldn't be surprised if there were no Canadian actors union, or if the US one had more Canadian members.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

StumblyWumbly posted:

I haven't heard of Canada having a separate union from the US, I've just heard of US projects filming in Vancouver. I wouldn't be surprised if there were no Canadian actors union, or if the US one had more Canadian members.

Nope, they've got ACTRA - Alliance of Canadian Cinema, Television and Radio Artists.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Is there some sort of time line between EVS going from artist on Green Lantern and happily married to what he is now?

Quite curious to see how everything went south so badly or what events led to one another.

Was he also the reason the clolorist on GL got kicked off? The guy use to go by Moose. I know he definitely didn't go willingly, never knew the exact details.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

I remember working cons when EVS was on GL and overhearing his wife was allegedly far more conservative than he with the unspoken insinuation she influenced him. This would have been right after Rebirth so late ‘05 or ‘06. I also remember people making a big to-do when EVS and Mark Waid confronted some art thief at a show because they were considered the most politically opposed at the time.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Art thief as in stole a physical object or art thief as in traced other people's art and passed it off as their own? Probably doesn't matter since the politics of Mark Waid or EVS are out of line with opposition to either form of theft, but I am curious.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Air Skwirl posted:

Art thief as in stole a physical object or art thief as in traced other people's art and passed it off as their own? Probably doesn't matter since the politics of Mark Waid or EVS are out of line with opposition to either form of theft, but I am curious.

Traced and passed off as their own kind of art theft. Dudes name was Rob Granito iirc.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Yeah, that's gonna piss off a lot of people in comics regardless of their other political opinions.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

I remember working cons when EVS was on GL and overhearing his wife was allegedly far more conservative than he with the unspoken insinuation she influenced him. This would have been right after Rebirth so late ‘05 or ‘06. I also remember people making a big to-do when EVS and Mark Waid confronted some art thief at a show because they were considered the most politically opposed at the time.

He was selling the Sinestro "My Struggle" art book in 2007, I remember seeing it as Comiccon and thinking 'what the hell' (this was back when my politics were a lot more mainstream and I was only slightly internet poisoned)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Air Skwirl posted:

Yeah, that's gonna piss off a lot of people in comics regardless of their other political opinions.

Mark Waid posted:

Hey Granito: When you get comics’ loudest leftwing hippiefreak AND loudest rightwing Nazi to join forces on your rear end, YOU HAVE hosed UP.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

On top of the theft imagine the most obnoxious banners of prints behind the table and triple the height, he was that guy. I think the incident was notable enough cons started to crack down on displays like that.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

I remember working cons when EVS was on GL and overhearing his wife was allegedly far more conservative than he with the unspoken insinuation she influenced him.
This has been said about a few people; Asimov said it about Heinlein, I believe.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
Ethan also once posted a picture of himself wearing a Nazi uniform on an old Jinxworld forum. I know because I saw it but didn’t think to save it because who the gently caress knew he’d turn into this. Everyone at the time was just like “did what the gently caress are you doing?” He apologized and erased it but he loving LOVES Nazis.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Bill Willingham just put Fables into the Public Domain because DC would just not stop loving him over

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
Jinkies! You hate to see it.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

It's a little more complicated and messy than just "now you can scan in the comics and print your own". It's the characters and concepts of Fables that are available to anyone. If Marvel decided to make a new Fables series, they could.

It's still a big deal, and even with my complaints about Willingham himself, I respect it. It's just the existing material has more owners than him and he can't give away Mark Buckingham's copyright on his art (assuming that wasn't done under a work for hire contract).

Here's something you could do: you could write your own novelization of the series and sell that.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Sep 14, 2023

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Time to kickstart my new series: "Fables: Without The lovely Parts."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Time to kickstart my new series: "Fables: Without The lovely Parts."

I'm going to insert my own page where Bigby denounces Israel as a genocide committing fascist ethnostate.