Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Shugojin posted:

I mostly blame Todd for over-promising on stuff like Radiant AI which was a HUGE over promise / under deliver, and the original presentation of Oblivion featuring a bunch of stuff that flat out never happens.

But even that was nowhere near on Molyneaux's level.

From a few pages back but...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFcLyDb6niA

VostokProgram posted:

I have yet to see convincing evidence for the existence of Forspoken players

Lord Stimperor fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Sep 14, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

When I first installed my 6700 XT I set an fps cap in the the Adrenalin driver, but no games I played actually respected the cap until I'd been using it for a few days. Later when I updated the drivers it stopped using the cap again, then a few days later it started working again. Except Starfield, which ignored the cap for the first hour or so before it started working out of nowhere mid session. Computers!

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
specialk’s fps cap is really good too fwiw

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Is there truly any difference in setting a FPS cap in NVCP vs Adrenalin vs SpecialK vs RTSS vs in-game

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Cross-Section posted:

Is there truly any difference in setting a FPS cap in NVCP vs Adrenalin vs SpecialK vs RTSS vs in-game
Yes. Because they may use different methods, different methods will produce different results depending on the how the specific game tolerates them.

But generally start with NVCP and only go further down the chain if it doesn't work well with a specific game, because it should work in *most* cases.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Cross-Section posted:

recently I had an in-game cap and NVCP cap at the same time and it caused neither to work and run uncapped until I disabled the in-game version

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Cross-Section posted:

RTSS and likely SpecialK are not preferable ways to cap frames. Not being connected to or aware of or able to communicate about latency with either of a driver or the game is not ideal.

The ideal is a good in-game frame limiter, because it can minimize latency. Driver frame limiters can't predict or control exactly how a game will respond to the driver deliberately bottlenecking it, so there may be a small amount of latency added. You are unlikely to directly notice it, but it's probably worth caring about in competitive games. If you are going to use an in-game limiter, create a game profile to disable the driver limiter for that game, or you may encounter weird issues.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

K8.0 posted:

RTSS and likely SpecialK are preferable ways to cap frames. The ideal is a good in-game frame limiter, because it can minimize latency. Driver frame limiters can't predict or control exactly how a game will respond to the driver deliberately bottlenecking it, so there may be a small amount of latency added. You are unlikely to directly notice it, but it's probably worth caring about in competitive games.

Does this work in game menus and loading screens? That is where my card whines the loudest, likely because it is rendering at 300fps.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
what i usually do is enable it in-game, and if it doesn’t activate g-sync, i just use the nvcp

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Yudo posted:

Does this work in game menus and loading screens? That is where my card whines the loudest, likely because it is rendering at 300fps.

Unless it's something like a separate launcher (LoL for example), these tools don't know the difference between you being in a game or out of a game, they just see the application running and they cap it to whatever framerate.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

which game was it that was killing GPUs at launch due to an uncapped menu frame rate

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

shrike82 posted:

which game was it that was killing GPUs at launch due to an uncapped menu frame rate

Been a few. Amazon's New World was probably the most notable but there's been at least one other that happened after that.

edit: Oh Diablo 4 did it to some 3080s

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

is there any reason to allow frame rate to run above the monitor max refresh?
wonder why it's not automatically capped to that

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

shrike82 posted:

Dickwaving on Reddit.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

shrike82 posted:

:effort:

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

shrike82 posted:

In some rarer cases, like Fallout 4, the game's loading speed is tied to the frame rate. There are mods to temp raise the cap to 350 FPS (the game does not load properly even if you have the hardware to beat that cap) during loading screens and drop back down to a specified frame rate when you regain contol. That's why it takes forever on console, HDD notwithstanding, and even a while on PC if playing capped at 60.

Besides edge cases like that, not really. 3 under max refresh rate to ensure VRR is always enabled is what I have been doing for 7-8 years.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

MagusDraco posted:

Been a few. Amazon's New World was probably the most notable but there's been at least one other that happened after that.

edit: Oh Diablo 4 did it to some 3080s

Starcraft 2 had the ole uncapped menu framerate problem back in the day, too. Can't remember if anyone blamed it for killing cards though.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

gradenko_2000 posted:

(there is a joke going around the community that Starfield isn't on GFN because the Coffee Lake / 2080 combo of the first paid tier would struggle to run it, and even the 4080 Ultimate tier would have a hard time)

GeForce Now update: It's So Over

I dropped to the Low preset while inside the ship and the FPS still didn't improve, so I'm assuming the 3.50 GHz of the CPU is really holding it back.

This is a case where my actual desktop runs the game better than GFN can

still though, this means I could play it on my laptop (or phone, or tablet)

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

GeForce Now update: It's So Over

I dropped to the Low preset while inside the ship and the FPS still didn't improve, so I'm assuming the 3.50 GHz of the CPU is really holding it back.

This is a case where my actual desktop runs the game better than GFN can

still though, this means I could play it on my laptop (or phone, or tablet)

Thanks for testing this. It seems like the xcloud version might be better since it’s a locked 30 with what should be better settings.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

MarcusSA posted:

Thanks for testing this. It seems like the xcloud version might be better since it’s a locked 30 with what should be better settings.

GeforceNow also has Ultimate tier with 4080.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

MikusR posted:

GeforceNow also has Ultimate tier with 4080.

That's true, but the Ultimate tier runs on an AMD Threadripper PRO 3955WX, which is a Zen 2 part. It might be faster than the premium tier, but not much more in terms of a CPU bind.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
Anyone know how to fix windows lagging on my main monitor when alt tabbing out of full-screen windowed games like starfield?

Stuff like discord on my vertical secondary is buttery smooth, but on my main chrome chops around at about 15 Hz as soon as I tab out

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

AEMINAL posted:

Anyone know how to fix windows lagging on my main monitor when alt tabbing out of full-screen windowed games like starfield?

Stuff like discord on my vertical secondary is buttery smooth, but on my main chrome chops around at about 15 Hz as soon as I tab out

Only way to fix that is run borderless windowed mode.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Prescription Combs posted:

Only way to fix that is run borderless windowed mode.

Starfield is already doing that fwiw

Full screen exclusive is becoming no longer a thing.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

AEMINAL posted:

More RAM maybe?

MarcusSA posted:

Starfield is already doing that fwiw

Full screen exclusive is becoming no longer a thing.

And it actually matters that there’s no exclusive fullscreen mode because the game doesn’t let you change the fullscreen resolution (outside upscaling).

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
That's one of my pet peeves about borderless fullscreen, you can't change the resolution anymore. There's resolution scaling as you mentioned but it's just not the same thing. Perhaps you're on a 4k display and you want to play a game at 1440p because the GPU grunt isn't quite there even with upscaling for example. It's a lack of choice.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Cyberpunk is DX12 and has a full screen mode (that’s still borderless windowed I’m pretty sure) that stretches to your monitor size. Seems like that should be a simple problem to solve.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

That's one of my pet peeves about borderless fullscreen, you can't change the resolution anymore. There's resolution scaling as you mentioned but it's just not the same thing. Perhaps you're on a 4k display and you want to play a game at 1440p because the GPU grunt isn't quite there even with upscaling for example. It's a lack of choice.

I have this issue fairly often on my laptop which has a 4K screen but a 3050Ti dGPU with 4GB VRAM. Perfectly fine for 1080p but it's absolutely not a 4K GPU. My solution thus far is to use WindowedBorderlessGaming to fake it.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
when i was still on windows i remember using integer scaler and an AHK script that removed borders and resized the window to 1080p, when i needed 1080p for some reason

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

https://videocardz.com/newz/yeston-rtx-4060-ti-cute-pet-gpu-revealed-features-meow-star-lighting-system

The Cute Pet is back for the Certified Sickos

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Ohhh my gosh

Steve will be happy

I'm happy too because even tho I won't be getting it I like that there's some actually unique designs out there. Also excited for Steve's review :3:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Sininu posted:

Ohhh my gosh

Steve will be happy

I'm happy too because even tho I won't be getting it I like that there's some actually unique designs out there. Also excited for Steve's review :3:

Well it's not a 16GB model of the 4060ti so he won't be too mad at it

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

njsykora posted:

Dickwaving on Reddit.

Definitely matters for twitchy e-sports titles.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf

Rinkles posted:

More RAM maybe?

And it actually matters that there’s no exclusive fullscreen mode because the game doesn’t let you change the fullscreen resolution (outside upscaling).

Already have 32 GB ddr 5 at 6000 MT :/

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

That's true, but the Ultimate tier runs on an AMD Threadripper PRO 3955WX, which is a Zen 2 part. It might be faster than the premium tier, but not much more in terms of a CPU bind.

Premium runs on cut down Haswell parts.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Dessel posted:

Definitely matters for twitchy e-sports titles.

i doubt it actually matters for 99.9% of people if you already have a 144+hz monitor

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

i think the cs pros all use uncapped frame rates and let their screens tear like crazy. it gives you a slight input latency advantage since newer frames enter the frame buffer mid-refresh and can be at least partially displayed right away. any actual advantage this gives you is questionable, but when money's on the line you take any help you can get. if you're just playing for fun (god forbid), just use vrr and do a framerate cap a few frames under your refresh rate like a normal person

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

CS2 is adding reflex to shave off a bit more latency without having to resort to tearing

pros probably won't change though, just like most of them are still playing in 4:3

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

i think the cs pros all use uncapped frame rates and let their screens tear like crazy. it gives you a slight input latency advantage since newer frames enter the frame buffer mid-refresh and can be at least partially displayed right away. any actual advantage this gives you is questionable, but when money's on the line you take any help you can get. if you're just playing for fun (god forbid), just use vrr and do a framerate cap a few frames under your refresh rate like a normal person

All esports pros also run on absolute butt minimum settings and resolution. There's League pros who play in a 720p window on 4k monitors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

njsykora posted:

All esports pros also run on absolute butt minimum settings and resolution. There's League pros who play in a 720p window on 4k monitors.

Does that actually display faster than it upscaling to at least 1440p in the GPU or monitor? I know that it could if things were implemented that way, but what are the odds that sub-native resolution latency is on the critical QA path for anyone?