Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StupidNameNobody
Aug 12, 2023

About Re:Zero, I watched this recently and I liked it quite a bit up until around the midpoint of the trials (season 2 midpoint?). At that stage I felt like the series got stuck at a bizarre place where Subaru just keeps repeating the same fairly hollow statements to Emilia over and over, and from her perspective I couldn't see why it would mean much to her. It got to a weird point for me.

Maybe I just can't empathise being a filthy awful lesbian, but it felt empty. I certainly liked it earlier on when Subaru was suffering and felt in danger and had to improvise on his feet while learning about the world. There is a certain pathos as well in how he knows her for so much longer than she knows him which is also appealing.

Someone else brought up A Summertime Rendering which I thought was an incomparably brilliant show borne out of the same idea but in the contemporary world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Strange Quark posted:

Looking for some recs on shows with really well done endings. Doesn't even have to be a complete adaptation as long as the end point is narratively conclusive. I'd prefer something decently long (50 to 100 eps), but I'd take anything.

Mob Psycho 100 is a complete adaptation with a strong ending. A bit shorter than you want at 37 episodes, but it might scratch the itch.

For Gundam, there's also G and Iron Blooded Orphans, depending how you like your endings, which both wrap up their AU plots pretty well. Oh, and there's the new Evangelion movie closing things nicely. Five movies and a 27 episode TV show just about matches with 50+ episodes, yeah?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Strange Quark posted:

Looking for some recs on shows with really well done endings. Doesn't even have to be a complete adaptation as long as the end point is narratively conclusive. I'd prefer something decently long (50 to 100 eps), but I'd take anything.

Dragon Quest: The Adventure of Dai (2020)
The Monogatari Franchise

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Yet another request for which the recommendation immortalized in the thread title, Legend of the Galactic Heroes, is suitable.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Medalist just had a bunch of chapters drop so that's my rec. It's ongoing so I dunno if it fits.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

chiasaur11 posted:

Mob Psycho 100 is a complete adaptation with a strong ending. A bit shorter than you want at 37 episodes, but it might scratch the itch.

I've seen it, but S3 felt a lot weaker than S2, and breaking the amibiguity of whether Mob knew Reigen was faking it was kinda lame.

quote:

For Gundam, there's also G and Iron Blooded Orphans, depending how you like your endings, which both wrap up their AU plots pretty well. Oh, and there's the new Evangelion movie closing things nicely. Five movies and a 27 episode TV show just about matches with 50+ episodes, yeah?

I feel like any Gundam rec is gonna be hard because I've seen 0080, the 0079 movies, 20 eps of Turn A, 4 eps of 00, IBO, and all of Build Fighters, and the only one I can say I enjoyed the whole way through was 0080. With IBO specifically, I struggle to think of much in S2 I didn't dislike lol. And I guess Rebuild is okay, but that it never expanded on any of the time loop stuff they hinted at in the first two movies felt like a big missed opportunity.

Julias posted:

Dragon Quest: The Adventure of Dai (2020)

This never seemed like more than your standard fantasy adventure show. What sets it apart?

quote:

The Monogatari Franchise

Well, I've seen Bake and the Kizu movies, and they're okay, but really let down by being way too horny for me. Is this actually complete? It seems they keep making more anime every year.

Bongo Bill posted:

Yet another request for which the recommendation immortalized in the thread title, Legend of the Galactic Heroes, is suitable.

Yeah, I've seen it. Don't know if I'd call it a good ending because I really hated most of part 4 lol.

doomrider7 posted:

Medalist just had a bunch of chapters drop so that's my rec. It's ongoing so I dunno if it fits.

Is this a rec for me when I specifically asked about endings?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Strange Quark posted:

This never seemed like more than your standard fantasy adventure show. What sets it apart?

To be honest...not much. It kind of has the same problem Dragon Ball and early Jojo's has, where the original mangas inspired a lot of the genre with the tropes they introduced, but being this far removed from them, you predict almost every character beat and twist as a result.

With that said, it is a solid adventure turned Action shonen, with a lot of likeable characters on both the heroes and villains side, good voice acting, you get to see a good amount of character development from both the heroes and villains, with multiple villains turning to the heroes side, a lot of the fights are well animated and thoughtfully written, and since you had asked for solid endings, it has a definitive, strong ending.

Strange Quark posted:

Well, I've seen Bake and the Kizu movies, and they're okay, but really let down by being way too horny for me. Is this actually complete? It seems they keep making more anime every year.

So while there are a lot more light novels past where the Anime ended, those mostly involve Araragi as an adult. Where the anime ended with Owari second season and Zoku Owari, (In 2017 and 2018, so it's been 5 years since anything new), it's a very definitive stopping point and thematic conclusion for what is essentially a Saga of Araragi's growing into am adult that goes through all of the adapted anime material.

With that said though, it's kind of a hard sell if the horniness is too much of an issue, as it comes up fairly frequently, and the next season you would watch, Nisemonogatari, is by far the worst when it comes to horniness and creep factor. I dropped Nise back in 2012-3, and didn't get back to the franchise until last year when I powered through it and binged the rest of the franchise.

I do think a lot of the themes and stories the show explores are genuinely really powerful, but I also can't blame anyone who can't stomach the grosser aspects of the series and wouldn't be willing to engage with it as a result.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Strange Quark posted:

Monster

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Strange Quark posted:

Akudama Drive and SK8 the Infinity

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Okay, people keep mostly recommending stuff I've already seen so here's that list: https://anime.plus/Jaikeis/list,anime

Maybe, I've been thinking about it for a while, but I am kinda biased against the art style. I wouldn't call the Sk8 ending particularly good though; they try to sell the main antagonist's redemption arc in the space of about seven minutes, so it feels very rushed.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Strange Quark posted:

86 s1

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Strange Quark posted:

Okay, people keep mostly recommending stuff I've already seen so here's that list: https://anime.plus/Jaikeis/list,anime

Maybe, I've been thinking about it for a while, but I am kinda biased against the art style. I wouldn't call the Sk8 ending particularly good though; they try to sell the main antagonist's redemption arc in the space of about seven minutes, so it feels very rushed.

SK8 is getting another season (eventually, probably) so its not exactly complete anyway. :v:

You are going to have a hard time finding shows with the length you are looking for that finished at all let alone finished well. Going over your list Id highly recommend Symphogear since it looks like you havnt watched it. On the shorter side there is Black Lagoon, Welcome to the NHK, Toradora (looks like you started this but didnt finish?), Cyberpunk: Edgerunners, and Akudama Drive.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Furnaceface posted:

SK8 is getting another season (eventually, probably) so its not exactly complete anyway. :v:

You are going to have a hard time finding shows with the length you are looking for that finished at all let alone finished well. Going over your list Id highly recommend Symphogear since it looks like you havnt watched it. On the shorter side there is Black Lagoon, Welcome to the NHK, Toradora (looks like you started this but didnt finish?), Cyberpunk: Edgerunners, and Akudama Drive.

I've heard people say G was the best Symphogear season, which is where I stopped (a step up from S1 but still just alright, but I saw no reason to continue if the writing dipped). I was more looking for shows with long term setup and payoff, and my impression with Symphogear was that they never knew whether they'd get another season or not, so there's some obvious rewrites with later seasons. Is that not the case?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Strange Quark posted:

Akudama Drive is fantastic and tells a full complete story in a single cour. No dangling hope for another cour that never comes, or a read-the-manga tease, just a complete beginning, middle and end.

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

Strange Quark posted:

Most of the ones I can think of are already on your list, but maybe Megalo Box? The ending of the first season was pretty standard for that kind of show, but I really liked how Nomad wrapped everything up.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Nana

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Nana's anime ending was terrible because they just cut off in the middle of that arc and do a flash forward for the last episode which spoils a bunch of crap from a few arcs in the future. If you're going to watch Nana, stop at the penultimate episode and just read the manga from there.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
e: whoops

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

AlternateNu posted:

Nana's anime ending was terrible because they just cut off in the middle of that arc and do a flash forward for the last episode which spoils a bunch of crap from a few arcs in the future. If you're going to watch Nana, stop at the penultimate episode and just read the manga from there.

What kind of logic is this? I bet you’d recommend people skip the last bit of The Promised Neverland anime too

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'd just recommend people read Shadows House instead of Promised Neverland in the first place

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Shadows House is really freaking good

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
I like and enjoyed both so I dunno.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

I just did everything there is to do in armored core 6 and I'm hyped for more mechs! Where do I start with mech animes and what are the best ones? The only one that has mechs in it that I watched is Evangelion

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

hey mom its 420 posted:

I just did everything there is to do in armored core 6 and I'm hyped for more mechs! Where do I start with mech animes and what are the best ones? The only one that has mechs in it that I watched is Evangelion

Are you in for more military style mechs or super robot mechs? We've got a whole thread for mecha shows.

Pick a Gundam show that looks interesting to you, there's dozens of them and most are easy enough to pick up and watch even without knowing the entire franchise history. Gundam is so engrained in the collective feel of every mecha show made after it that you'll pick up on stuff easily if you're at all familiar with mechs or even just coming from AC6.

Or check out anything Ryosuke Takahashi has done if the overall grim tone of AC6 was appealing to you. Armored Trooper VOTOMS has got that "you are a disposable pawn in a shitbox MT or AC" vibe.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Sep 17, 2023

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Nice, I'll check that out! whatever is cool really as long as there's mechs, good animation and good story.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

hey mom its 420 posted:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

hey mom its 420 posted:

if youre okay with an older show with occasionally jank animation, the original gundam (Mobile Suit Gundam 0079) is still a great watch

besides that votoms is definitely a good shout if you want something with a similar vibe to armored core 6. (its also fairly old though the animation is a bit more consistent. mostly)

outside of older stuff 86 is decent (though i thought it was trying a bit too hard in spots and s2 was weaker, there's a few scenes that really hit), and gundam ironblooded orphans has a pretty gritty, violent vibe and a sort of space mafia/crime story, though it has to have the characters act like idiots a couple times, i still really like it. (great mecha design in it too, imo.)

and in terms of stuff thats just mecha but not especially similar to armored core 6, big o is really cool. 90s show with a lot of the same staff as the 90s batman cartoon (since a lot of that show was outsourced to japan), so you get a really similar aesthetic sense with a lot of shadows. surreal mystery vibes, kind of episodic, only every ep ends with a big robot fight. its neat

note that the gundam series are for the most part like final fantasy, they're all disconnected and take place in different universes. the only exceptions are

0079 -> Zeta -> ZZ -> Char's Counterattack is a series in the same continuity. Victory takes place in that same timeline but doesn't feature any characters from it.

and Seed Destiny is a direct sequel to Seed.

outside of that everything is basically independent. Ironblooded Orphans is its own separate continuity for instance. so don't get intimidated by how many gundam series there are if you wanna check one of those out, just hop into whichever interests you.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

thanks for all the suggestions, I'll look them up a bit and then pick one. combat mode activated!

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

hey mom its 420 posted:

Gunbuster

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

hey mom its 420 posted:

I like Patlabor.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

hey mom its 420 posted:

Everyone else has mentioned a lot of the ones I'd bring up, but to add in some more odd choices on the "Because you liked Armored Core..." note. (And also a big name I'm surprised hasn't come up already).

Obsolete is 12 15 minute episodes set in a modern world where aliens sell humans mechs in exchange for sandstone, and refuse to have any other contact. Cheap, agile weapons platforms available to any third world nation for cheap have changed the world in many ways. First episode is the worst, and the last one is just a full on shitpost, but it's an interesting ride if you don't mind the low framerate CG.

Zone of the Enders: Idolo is the last pre-digital Sunrise anime, and it's not a bad one to go out on. A prequel to the Zone of the Enders games, it's about a Martian freedom fighter who works undercover for the tyrannical Earth government, while spending his nights testing the ultimate weapon that might free Mars from their grasp.

Things get worse for everyone from there. Short (under an hour in total), good looking, and morally ambiguous, it's a pretty good time if you want a tragedy. The TV show, Dolores, is a sequel to it, but I haven't seen enough of that one to judge it.

Macross Plus is a big name, but it hasn't come up yet. Got Bryan Cranston for the dub, too, so that's a fun bit of trivia. Basically, three college friends were torn apart by a tragic incident in their past. Now two of them are test pilots and the third, having given up on singing, is now the manager for Space Hatsune Miku. Needless to say, it all comes to a head as the two pilots compete to determine which of two prototype supermechs will go into military mass production. Gorgeous, fast paced, and with amazing music, it's the Macross you get recommended if you don't much care for Macross. (If you like Macross, Do You Remember Love is good too.)

For VOTOMs, there's also a short standalone spinoff, Mellowlink. It's about a guy on foot hunting down his former commanding officers for revenge. They're in mechs, with whole armies guarding them on their home terrain across multiple worlds. He's on foot with a bike, a rifle bigger than he is, and a grudge. It's almost a fair fight.

There's more, of course, but I figure flooding things with too many options at once reduces the impact.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
It’s not like AC6, but Attack On Titan is probably the best mecha of the past decade.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
honestly you could probably look at a lot of shows that Shōji Kawamori worked on and find stuff you'll like. that's probably a broad rear end brush cause hes worked on a bunch of poo poo but his designs stand out and almost all? of them share a lot of common design language.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

PRADA SLUT posted:

It’s not like AC6, but Attack On Titan is probably the best mecha of the past decade.

We need more entries in the flesh mecha subgenre

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

hey mom its 420 posted:

gunbuster, giant robo the day the earth stood still, gundam the witch from mercury, and g gundam are all very fun :)

theres def a lot out there tho! im also partial to baldios an obscure super robot show from 1980

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

In the mood for something different than my usual go to genres. Feeling like a good drama+comedy show could hit the spot, though I honestly have no idea where to even start.

Anything is fair game, even teenage drama if its handled well enough. Just no idol or magical girl shows.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Furnaceface posted:

In the mood for something different than my usual go to genres. Feeling like a good drama+comedy show could hit the spot, though I honestly have no idea where to even start.

Anything is fair game, even teenage drama if its handled well enough. Just no idol or magical girl shows.

Domestic Girlfriend

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Furnaceface posted:

Kaguya-sama

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Furnaceface posted:

Welcome to the NHK
A Place Further than the Universe
Bocchi the Rock
BanG Dream! It's MyGO!!!!!
Kaguya Sama

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

i'll second mygo and kaguya