Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Watching Action Jackson. Its too bad even though this was successful we didn't get more Carl Weathers action movies like this.

I'm open to suggestions on 80s action. Some good poo poo not bad.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Sep 9, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Re: Robert Maillet in Becky: lmao that felt brutal and exactly right.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Wrath of Becky just came out and it was balls to the wall awesome. She fights the Nobel Men lead by Sean William Scott.

Oh, the ending was AMAZING.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Pillowpants posted:

Wrath of Becky just came out and it was balls to the wall awesome. She fights the Nobel Men lead by Sean William Scott.

Oh, the ending was AMAZING.

I heard about that and partly watched Becky to prepare. I am very hyped now, girl fucks up Nazis really good and I am looking forward to watching Sean William Scott get Home Alone'd in the face.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

brocked posted:

Wheels On Meals is a stone cold classic

The City Hunter homage to Street Fighter is insane

The lucky stars movies don't get enough love. Some of the stunts are just insane.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Wrath of Becky is pretty good.

Raging Slab
Dec 19, 2004

Hollismason posted:

Watching Action Jackson. Its too bad even though this was successful we didn't get more Carl Weathers action movies like this.

The man who put the "Action" in Jackson, allegedly put the "Hurricane" in Smith as well.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

[WORD] [LAST NAME] deserved to be a franchise and we were robbed of it!

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Raging Slab posted:

The man who put the "Action" in Jackson, allegedly put the "Hurricane" in Smith as well.

She is absolutely in awe of hurricane smith, who seems pretty ambivalent about the whole thing.

"It's not really much of a hurricane" he was heard to say.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Not even a single hand free to hold the lady, just all hands on guns all day long. That's our Hurricane Smith, man of explosions!

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Caught a real good one called KILL last night that goes so drat hard. I think comparisons to the Raid are a little overblown but it's mega violent close quarters combat with a story that gets really really dark. I saw it with an amazing, raucous crowd at TIFF and that is the definitive way to see it. Keep an eye on the two male leads, I think they're going to be something special (it was the hero's debut film).

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I am now watching Raw Deal. It is fantastic.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Glad to hear Becky is good still. I waited to watch it bc it came out right at the most pandemic pandemic time and wondered if it would still be enjoyed or would it be some wtf was I thinking poo poo like tiger king lol

I’ll check them out soon

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

I don't want to hype it up too much but Becky has an almost John Wick 1-like simplicity to it. It wastes no time at all, once Kevin Smith and gang arrive at Becky's home, poo poo is really tight.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Sounds solid to me!

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Grendels Dad posted:

Kevin James is insanely good.

I'm just looking at this sentence, trying to make it make sense

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Hollismason posted:

Stone Cold, post haste

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Shageletic posted:

I'm just looking at this sentence, trying to make it make sense

He's probably just alright, but the fact that it's that guy in a role like that makes a 6/10 feel like a 9/10.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I watched Becky due to the talk upstream.

Pretty good! It's not an action movie though. More like a slasher/thriller.

And yeah, Grendels Dad is right. The performance is a good performance, but the fact that it's Kevin James playing a neo-nazi playing at being Hans Gruber and just loving it up over and over is what makes it great.

I would watch Wrath of Becky, so it did something right.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Watched Ronin for the first time last night and goddamn that movie rules

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Watched Ronin for the first time last night and goddamn that movie rules
:hmmyes:

Frankenheimer just going "These punk kids think they can direct a car chase, huh?"

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Ronin is a) an absolutely outstanding movie that i've probably seen at least a dozen times over the years and b) one of the most egregious examples of bad CGI, with terrible CGI smoke over an extremely cool car stunt. It's utterly baffling and kind of rules

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Payndz posted:

Frankenheimer just going "These punk kids think they can direct a car chase, huh?"

If you've never seen it watch Grand Prix (1966). Our man Frankenheimer just setting out nearly every modern cinematic convention for filming cars in motion.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Snowman_McK posted:

Ronin is a) an absolutely outstanding movie that i've probably seen at least a dozen times over the years and b) one of the most egregious examples of bad CGI, with terrible CGI smoke over an extremely cool car stunt. It's utterly baffling and kind of rules
All the more unnecessary because that exact shot is in the trailer without the crap CG smoke, and it looks great.

thatfuturekid
Jan 5, 2014
https://youtu.be/CDjR58Qkz5g?si=SGGUyyegtNLIN6hm Even if The Continental sucks, we should at least get some decent set pieces out of it!

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.
There is a single showing of Expendables 4 in my town. One.

The dream is over.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIZTgUxVa28

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Never got into the Expendables movies, but this one has a Kurt Wimmer script and I've been ride or die for the guy since Equilibrium

plus Uwais and Jaa!

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Clipperton posted:

Never got into the Expendables movies, but this one has a Kurt Wimmer script and I've been ride or die for the guy since Equilibrium

plus Uwais and Jaa!

The first one only works thanks to Mickey Rourke's growling/drunken monologue in the middle. It pulls a not very good film together and gives it a heart and weight it hasn't really earned. The last shootout is pretty good. The second one is far too self aware without doing anything with it and is still pretty amateurishly made. The third one just sucks out loud.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

thatfuturekid posted:

https://youtu.be/CDjR58Qkz5g?si=SGGUyyegtNLIN6hm Even if The Continental sucks, we should at least get some decent set pieces out of it!

I've been laid up with Pneumonia the past week and was rewatching Bosch since I am a middle aged dad and it's pretty amusing since Bosch uses the same gunfighter stance they use in the John Wick movies but just at a quarter speed.

Really weird to see the guy using it in this though since pretty sure the guy that created center axis relock wasn't even born then. Little disappointed in the action honestly, I was hoping for some wheelgun action and maybe some more 70s style shooting. This just seemed to be John Wick with more brown and a few uzis. It was too dark to tell but fairly confident several people were using Glocks which were created in the 80s

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!

Snowman_McK posted:

The first one only works thanks to Mickey Rourke's growling/drunken monologue in the middle. It pulls a not very good film together and gives it a heart and weight it hasn't really earned. The last shootout is pretty good. The second one is far too self aware without doing anything with it and is still pretty amateurishly made. The third one just sucks out loud.

I've been meaning to rewatch the first one just for the automatic shotgun sequence

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The big issue with The Expendables series is that they're all extremely drab and boring aesthetically. It's over the top action in a relentlessly brown and gray setting.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

The big issue with The Expendables series is that they're all extremely drab and boring aesthetically. It's over the top action in a relentlessly brown and gray setting.

Also, every character that isn't Stallone or Statham is... not even a character. For ensemble movies, the Expendable franchise is extremely bad at making you care about any member of the ensemble beyond what kind of gun they are using.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Just my opinion, bluntly stated: all the Expendables are varying degrees of bad and you would be better off just grabbing a random unseen movie off of a top 100 action movies list by a writer you trusted.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I think that’s generally the response given to those movies. They have the star power to be good but they just aren’t. I’ll blame Stallone, it’s probably the correct reason.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Hollismason posted:

The Hidden (1987). Just a really solid little action/horror/buddy-cop hybrid. Kyle MacLachaln is proto Agent Dale Cooper as one half of the detective team. The baddie is a very goopy body jacking space bug that lives life like a particularly reckless and sadistic Grand Theft Auto player.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.
The Expendables is very much like seeing Ric Flair, etc get into the ring. We all know he shouldn't be doing it, but who the gently caress are we to stop it. Bask in the wrongness.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
I've been casually enjoying Warrior for what I thought it was, but I just made it through S2E9 and holy moly, I am impressed. It worked pretty hard to earn this moment that I didn't really expect would be depicted so well

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

midge posted:

The Expendables is very much like seeing Ric Flair, etc get into the ring. We all know he shouldn't be doing it, but who the gently caress are we to stop it. Bask in the wrongness.

Honestly I like JCVD in Expendables II but yeah all they do is get Arnold to copy paste lines from his other films and that's just kinda how the writing is in these things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

High Warlord Zog posted:

The Hidden (1987). Just a really solid little action/horror/buddy-cop hybrid. Kyle MacLachaln is proto Agent Dale Cooper as one half of the detective team. The baddie is a very goopy body jacking space bug that lives life like a particularly reckless and sadistic Grand Theft Auto player.

God that movie rules