Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

PantsBandit posted:

Am I missing something or is Brig horrid currently? She just feels very vulnerable, and doesn't make up for it in healing or damage.

You take Brig to babysit your Ana. Just hang out with her, toss your heal packs to people every now and then, and wait for someone to try to dive the Ana. An Ana with freedom to position aggressively and no worries about needing to save nade for herself is a wonderful thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

PantsBandit posted:

Am I missing something or is Brig horrid currently? She just feels very vulnerable, and doesn't make up for it in healing or damage.

It's a very unfavorable meta for her in the traditional sense because poke is strong so brawl comps suffer. She's like Lucio in that the hero themself isn't that weak it's just that the tanks they most like to play with get kind of bullied right now.

She absolutely can still work as an Ana bodyguard to protect her from dives, but if you try to go in swinging you're going to get mowed down by all the soldier/ashe/illari/orisa/baptise/etc. that are being widely played right now

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
You may as well take illari to protect ana from dives right now, the heal turret and the knockback from her jump will more than save her.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

flashpoint is dumb. you sometimes literally can't get to the next point before it unlocks if you win the previous point, so the other team can set up to defend it before you even get there

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Jack Trades posted:

Overwatch now has official ages for all the character listed on the website and none of them fit the previously established lore.

Starting to think that Blizzard doesn't know how to count.

Yeah I had some other quibbles with the Overwatch writing that I guess we're just supposed to forget about :

- If Mei and her Ecopoint team were considered dead, why didn't anyone at least send a recovery operation to retrieve the bodies? Antarctica has the lowest annual precipitation levels on Earth, so it's not like it's whiteout conditions all the time. Why not have an Athena-style AI or an Omnic technician to monitor the cryo chambers? Did Mei head straight to Watchpoint Gibraltar after leaving the base? Doesn't she have relatives who'd want to know she survived?

- How'd they acquire another Orca to fly from Paris to Rio after the Titan sliced the first one in half? Are there a bunch of Orcas just sitting around for Tracer to grab whenever she wants?

- Sojourn rescues those Omnics in the Toronto intro cutscene, and then she runs into a bunch of Overwatch members seconds later. Did they all just wait there in hiding, not helping?

- Is Bastion just another robot like the grunts you fight in the missions, or does he somehow have an Omnic soul that sets him apart?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Bastion is like Johnny Five except he came alive because of a bird.

Proven
Aug 8, 2007

Lurker

Dick Jones posted:

Yeah I had some other quibbles with the Overwatch writing that I guess we're just supposed to forget about :

- How'd they acquire another Orca to fly from Paris to Rio after the Titan sliced the first one in half? Are there a bunch of Orcas just sitting around for Tracer to grab whenever she wants?

- Is Bastion just another robot like the grunts you fight in the missions, or does he somehow have an Omnic soul that sets him apart?

For what I can guess:

- They have Gibraltar back so they may have some amount of manufacturing capability. Or a lot of extra ones were there.

- The Omnic Crisis occurred before most Omnics were sentient. The event of them becoming sentient is what ended the war. Bastion was a mindless robot before, was left for dead after battle at Eichendwalde, and manages to reawaken years afterward with sentience like the other Omnics and with memory of what happened before his sentience.

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008

Inept posted:

flashpoint is dumb. you sometimes literally can't get to the next point before it unlocks if you win the previous point, so the other team can set up to defend it before you even get there

Honestly that's the best part of Flashpoint. I love when you skirmish with the other team while you're on your way to the next point. I've had plenty of games where you cap the point and get to the next point before the other team. The other team gets a chance, and your team gets a chance to break their defense. Flashpoint rules, its definitely better than push.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

one thing I've noticed - other players don't hear the voice modulation on the Ana mythic

which is bullshit, I demand to subject them to my robot grandma

I hear her robot voice when she does her ult or gets the killing blow on a character she knows from the OW story.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Nobody hears the voice mods on any mythic skin except for the user, but in most cases if there're unique lines then those are still heard.

Edit: technically Poseidon Ramattra has slightly different voice mod in Nemesis form than his other skins but I don't remember if others hear that too

novaSphere fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Sep 17, 2023

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
hahaha reinstalled and came back to check out if the shitshow matchmaking was still just utter rear end

had several games in a row that were, literally, unwinnable. Not an exaggeration. Capped off with this

Any time I had someone low, they got lifegripped out of the fight. The Genji on my team was somewhere doing ?? until he died. My tank just kept punching their Dva who instantly got healed to full and both healers were exclusively pocketing him, including the Mercy who would follow him into their team damage amping him and then die. A matchmaker with even a pretence of team balance should not be capable of producing this experience.

The sheer lack of a gently caress given in their matchmaking algo says that a) there aren't enough people for it to be better and/or b) doing it like this is actually advantageous for them in some way. Maybe the engagement of the rusted on people getting to stomp stays high and the others would have dropped off in the F2P cycle anyway so they're expendable. Either way it's just awful.

I did win a couple and they were basically the inverse of this. I could have stood still emoting and my team would probably have still won. Terrible waste of time.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

When the source code is leaked (and given morale levels, it'll probably happen soon), we'll likely find out that:

- Losers queue is real
- Mystery Heroes does a coin toss in the final two minutes of a match, stacking one team with DPS healers and high-survivability tanks, and the other team with squishies who require pro-tier mechanical skills and cooldown management to have any impact whatsoever.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Inept posted:

I just find it kinda meh, at least better than the loving push maps though, I don't insta-quit out of flashpoint like I do with those. I miss Volskaya, Hanamura, etc so much. :(

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Volskaya, 1st point Anubis, and Hanamura are genuinely all-time great maps

Lunar Colony I could do without. Paris was weak.

All their effort went into the Hybrid maps since they solved the biggest problem of 2CP being much more fun for both teams on the first point than the second

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

They might as well bring back 2CP since OW2's stomp or be stomped nature makes every single map more fun for one team than the other.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I never liked 2CP and was happy when they said it was leaving but tbh

Tuxedo Gin posted:

They might as well bring back 2CP since OW2's stomp or be stomped nature makes every single map more fun for one team than the other.

is pretty reasonable and I wouldn't be mad if volskaya, anubis and hanamura came back into the main modes. I spent a lot of time perfecting the left side wrecking ball rollout for volskaya and sometimes am sad I dont get to use it anymore

Jezza of OZPOS fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Sep 24, 2023

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Tuxedo Gin posted:

I'm so loving sick of this part of the game.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Push really did make me miss 2cp, but i never thought it was that bad anyway. Fun to watch too

Proven
Aug 8, 2007

Lurker
I’ll be the negative nancy and mention that I like Push more than 2CP. Push takes Overwatch gameplay of regroup -> setup -> fight and makes it something that you go over constantly back and forth instead of stopping for rounds every few minutes like on Control Point maps, or waiting what can feel like half an hour (even if only 8 min) with 2CP. It being one round with a max of 10 minutes also means it always feels faster to me, and it has a mercy rule built in. It’s overall my most preferred mode because of its speed, even if I don’t love the map design of New Queen Street and Colosseo.

Flashpoint is better to me than Push because of the same reasons. If Push is a single round evolution of Payload, Flashpoint is a single round evolution of Control Point. It’s still constant regroup -> setup -> fight, but now there’s more map to play around with. It lends itself more to teamplay when retaking a Flashpoint, and if you lose 2-3 team fights then okay, whatever, just hop on over to the next point. The variety in map design between points and situations when arriving to a point keep it interesting and make comebacks easier to attain than on Push.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

I just wish we could select what game-modes we actually want to queue for

MR.B
Mar 15, 2007

I am the Owl
What the hell is wrong with comp matchmaking? Every match is a stomp, for your team or against. DPS seems to be the main problem here, at least with what I've noticed anyway.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

I just wish we could select what game-modes we actually want to queue for

Yeah, and at least let us pick a few maps we never want to play.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

I always thought 2cp was the most interesting mode. It took the most coordination, counter picking, tactics which is really the only part of the game I enjoy. I get that not everyone enjoys that, but I wish it were part of the mix.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

I thought the main problem with 2CP was the map design rather than the mode itself

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
2CP gave us "AKM blade". I'll never forgive it being gone.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I thought the main problem with 2CP was the map design rather than the mode itself

well I hated every 2CP map. either every map sucked or the design of the whole mode sucked

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

I like having a direction to play and familiar sight lines and choke points. I don't like a wide open poo poo fest where everyone is looking to get into a duel and every angle is a risk.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

grieving for Gandalf posted:

well I hated every 2CP map. either every map sucked or the design of the whole mode sucked

Every 2CP map seemed to be built with the direction "put in an extremely obnoxious choke point that it sucks to push into". It's telling that all modifications made to those maps after release were attempts to mitigate said choke points, when really they needed to be rebuilt from the ground up.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Every 2CP map seemed to be built with the direction "put in an extremely obnoxious choke point that it sucks to push into". It's telling that all modifications made to those maps after release were attempts to mitigate said choke points, when really they needed to be rebuilt from the ground up.

I loved those choke points, just fun and chaos and death, especially with 6v6. RIP.

The reason I hate push maps is you spend half the time running across an empty map to get a fight in a giant open area, boring as hell.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah, that's the other thing. All the push maps have those dumb sections where it forces you to have people on low ground fighting up if you want to make progress.

I much preferred the old style of closing the gap and trying to fight on even ground.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt

Sloppy posted:

I loved those choke points, just fun and chaos and death, especially with 6v6. RIP.

The reason I hate push maps is you spend half the time running across an empty map to get a fight in a giant open area, boring as hell.

The marathon run from spawn every time unless they are about to cap is the main reason I don’t like them either.

Alfalfa fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Sep 27, 2023

AndNowMax
Sep 25, 2009

Fighting the fight for *mumble* *mumble*

Proven posted:

I’ll be the negative nancy and mention that I like Push more than 2CP. Push takes Overwatch gameplay of regroup -> setup -> fight and makes it something that you go over constantly back and forth instead of stopping for rounds every few minutes like on Control Point maps, or waiting what can feel like half an hour (even if only 8 min) with 2CP. It being one round with a max of 10 minutes also means it always feels faster to me, and it has a mercy rule built in. It’s overall my most preferred mode because of its speed, even if I don’t love the map design of New Queen Street and Colosseo.

This is why I like push better than 2cp, too. Push has more consistent team fights that feel like the entire team can engage. 2cp often felt like the two teams were just poking each other through a choke until everyone starts ulting.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Peak overwatch for me is 2 reins and 2 anas facing off at the volskaya B choke. I don't care what anyone else is doing, but bonus points for 2 lucios and 2 zaryas.

Proven
Aug 8, 2007

Lurker

dogstile posted:

Yeah, that's the other thing. All the push maps have those dumb sections where it forces you to have people on low ground fighting up if you want to make progress.

I much preferred the old style of closing the gap and trying to fight on even ground.

You know, I realize now this is why I’ve gravitated to Sym and Lifeweaver, especially on Coloseuo. The high ground is supposed to be part of the catch up mechanic for defense, and so at least half my team needs enough mobility to keep the defense from free shooting after the first turn. Once you get under the bridge, the map design evens out.

New Queen Street isn’t as bad except the starting mid fight is the worst for me. Once the fight gets focused on one side more I feel like I have enough cover to actually do things. The defensive high ground areas are small enough that they’re more manageable to play around.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Hello thread, I enjoyed Overwatch 1 a lot until it got too sweaty, is this game still bad because Blizzard is a dumpsterfire?

Or have they added the PvE co op stuff finally?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

TulliusCicero posted:

lmao

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

TulliusCicero posted:

Hello thread, I enjoyed Overwatch 1 a lot until it got too sweaty, is this game still bad because Blizzard is a dumpsterfire?

They added PvE*.

*it's paid PvE, three missions only until some time in 2024 and the missions are basic

So yes, it's still a bit of a dumpsterfire. It's now on Steam though.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

widespread posted:

They added PvE*.

*it's paid PvE, three missions only until some time in 2024 and the missions are basic

So yes, it's still a bit of a dumpsterfire. It's now on Steam though.

:hmbol:

Holy poo poo

Is it still a change to 5v5 for no loving reason?

I saw they also changed how Mei and some other heros work from 1, and I was like "lol why"

Reading the changes from 1-2 it made me remember Ghostcrawler at Blizzard and his ongoing quest to remove "Fun" from every pvp video game

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Sep 28, 2023

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

TulliusCicero posted:

:hmbol:

Holy poo poo

Is it still a change to 5v5 for no loving reason?

I saw they also changed how Mei and some other heros work from 1, and I was like "lol why"

Yes it is still a change for no reason. And now heroes like Mei are slowly getting their CC back.

And instead of a DPS for Season 8, we got a tank for Season 7 lmao

Per a tweet I can't find about Noted Lively And Fun And Safe Convention "BlizzCon", where an event is to meet the new hero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

widespread posted:

They added PvE*.

The PvE missions are the same three that were playable at past Blizzcons, before the actual rollover from 1 to 2. If you missed the announcement six months after 2's launch where they announced that PvE development ended the day Jeff Kaplan left Blizzard, you missed some wild poo poo.